A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »NEED SOME HELP HERE!!!!!!

Author Topic: NEED SOME HELP HERE!!!!!! (23 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

smarsh556

mess with the best,die like the rest

Posted: May 16, 2011 07:36 AM    Msg. 1 of 23       
whats with the custom tags u download from halomaps? why dont some of em work on sapien? it says that it couldnt get the .weapon tag, what does this mean????

strangebrew

user gone

Posted: May 16, 2011 07:48 AM    Msg. 2 of 23       
yes you need to make an item_collection file for the weapon tag your trying to use,
open gueilla and click new,in the drop down box scroll to item_collection and click okay,
in the window that opens type 100 into the weight box,in the respawn box type in seconds how often you want the weapon to respawn,click on the ... and locate and add the weapon that this item_collection file is for.
at the top of guerilla goto file and click save as,now navigate to the tags folder and find the folder containing the item colections.
save the file there.now go add your weapon in sapien and it should add just fine.

smarsh556

Posted: May 16, 2011 08:31 AM    Msg. 3 of 23       
what about vehicles and scenery?

afD2345

Posted: May 16, 2011 11:26 AM    Msg. 4 of 23       
you will need to put your tags (all tags) to tags folder, default folder is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\tags also you should get the original tags from map(s)...

smarsh556

Posted: May 16, 2011 01:43 PM    Msg. 5 of 23       
it still wont work..........

UBE Chief

Raising the bar, one kill at a time.

Posted: May 16, 2011 03:02 PM    Msg. 6 of 23       
Is there a book called Halo Modding for Dummies out there?

But seriously, you need a tutorial. There should be some in the HaloMaps archive that can suit your needs.

Also, you should post what you're doing so we can have a better understanding of what needs to be done instead of your "it won't work" replies, i.e. "I'm extracting the tags to (insert directory here), and sapien can't recognize them." or "Is there a tutorial on how to rip tags from maps?" or "I'm a complete newbie who doesn't know anything about modding, is there someone that can help?"

The last one might apply more to you as of right now, because that's what I'm getting based upon all of your threads here.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but it needs to be said. Welcome to HaloMaps.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: May 16, 2011 03:07 PM    Msg. 7 of 23       
go to your program files and then open the halo custom edition game folder,you should see a text document call Debug.txt.
open that and copy the last part of it in your next post,this will show any errors you are getting while trying to add your tags.

smarsh556

Posted: May 16, 2011 09:50 PM    Msg. 8 of 23       
I understand what u mean, i am a newbie at this, and i dont understand HEK entirely, but all i need to know is how to rip weapon,vehicles, and other tags downloaded from Halomaps and be allowed to use them in Sapien correctly. with the weapon tags, btw, what is needed done to be allowed to use them as well. i mean, do the weapons need to be created with something or something entriely different. i am srry about my cries for help that didnt make any sense, and yes, i am a newbie, but any help i can get to make me better at this stuff will be thanked. and u werent being harsh it is the truth, and truth can hurt sometimes...

debug.txt- entirerly

05.14.11 16:20:43 tool pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
05.14.11 16:20:43 reference function: _write_to_error_file
05.14.11 16:20:43 reference address: 42ca20
05.14.11 16:20:43 Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'

Edited by smarsh556 on May 16, 2011 at 09:53 PM

UBE Chief

Posted: May 16, 2011 11:43 PM    Msg. 9 of 23       
Yes, well, I'm still sorry for being that harsh.

ANYways, the reason why your tags aren't working is because you haven't put them in the correct folders.

Again and again, I heavily stress that before any modding is done in HEK, you must always, ALWAYS rip tags from Halo PC's campaign maps and at least one MP map before starting to rip anything from CE maps to avoid corrupt tags - and, in your case, show the newbie modder where to put his/her stuff.

Most weapons are in the "Halo Custom Edition\tags\weapons" folder; same applies to vehicles and scenery, but in the \vehicles and \scenery folders, respectively.

Never, EVER touch the \globals folder unless you know exactly what you're doing.

In Guerilla, open up one of your .weapon tags. If there are lines with RED writing, then the relevent data (bitmaps, gbxmodels, collision models, etc.) is/are not in the correct folder(s). Ditto for any .vehicle, .scenery, whatever tags you may have downloaded from HaloMaps.

I suggest opening up one of your tags that you got and post a screenshot of it (via photobucket or any other picture-sharing website) here. Any of us experienced members will then be able to tell you what tags should go where.

ProEdit: Have you taken a look in this thread before asking away? Just wondering.
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=8579
Edited by UBE Chief on May 16, 2011 at 11:46 PM

smarsh556

Posted: May 17, 2011 12:17 AM    Msg. 10 of 23       
well, i guess that i must wait 2 days to post images, but this is what i got

i have a g36.weapon
here are the problems

its MODEL is red
its COLLISION MODEL is red
its FIRST PERSON MODEL is red
its FIRST PERSON ANIMATIONS is red
its PICKUP SOUND is red
and its FIRING EFFECT is red

smarsh556

Posted: May 17, 2011 06:27 AM    Msg. 11 of 23       
i do have the tags, all i need to know is where do they go?

Cheddars

Rave to the Grave.

Posted: May 17, 2011 06:35 AM    Msg. 12 of 23       
if when you extract the zip file there is a folder called tags,copy the tags folder and paste in your halo ce directory.than press yes to all and it will install In the right places for you.also what tag are you using?

smarsh556

Posted: May 17, 2011 06:42 AM    Msg. 13 of 23       
the tag that u used was g36.weapon

Cheddars

Rave to the Grave.

Posted: May 17, 2011 06:45 AM    Msg. 14 of 23       
k ill see

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: May 17, 2011 09:35 AM    Msg. 15 of 23       
I think I can sum up the answer better then the others did. lol

Ok so when you have those things that are RED that means that those are "referancing" somethign that doesn't exist. What you need to do is find out where the tags are in you tags folder.

For example:

If you have something red that say's:

weapons/blargh/whatever

under the GBXmodel or whatever that means that you need to find a "whatever.gbxmodel"

If it was placed under

weapons/blah/whatever.gbxmodel

then all you need to do is change the red text which was "weapons/blargh/whatever" to be "weapons/blah/whatever"

The same is true for all tag types.

How did I do? That helpful?

UBE Chief

Posted: May 17, 2011 01:01 PM    Msg. 16 of 23       
Goes hand-in-hand with what I said :p

Quote: --- Original message by: UBE Chief
In Guerilla, open up one of your .weapon tags. If there are lines with RED writing, then the relevent data (bitmaps, gbxmodels, collision models, etc.) is/are not in the correct folder(s). Ditto for any .vehicle, .scenery, whatever tags you may have downloaded from HaloMaps.

smarsh556

Posted: May 18, 2011 02:59 PM    Msg. 17 of 23       
what would u do if some of the problems are not in red, like this ma5c silenced, its sound files and stuff cannot load in tool, but are they in the right folder? i cant find ANY red on Guerilla.
Edited by smarsh556 on May 18, 2011 at 03:01 PM

UBE Chief

Posted: May 18, 2011 03:57 PM    Msg. 18 of 23       
It just means the files are corrupt. Try redownloading/ripping them, see if that fixes things - oh, and you need to delete the old (corrupt) files first.

smarsh556

Posted: May 18, 2011 07:21 PM    Msg. 19 of 23       
I tried this and most of the weapons work, but most of the vehicles i download have this problem the first time i download them, and after i do it again
Edited by smarsh556 on May 18, 2011 at 07:22 PM

UBE Chief

Posted: May 18, 2011 07:55 PM    Msg. 20 of 23       
Some tags are just like that. In those cases, all you can do is shrug and move on.

Omni_Warrior

It Shall Not Happen Again!

Posted: May 18, 2011 09:29 PM    Msg. 21 of 23       
Hi smarsh556

The reason why most of the tags that are downloaded from Halomaps.org, do not work is because the creator of the tag did not take in consideration that all assets for the tag are required in the correct file hierarchy when building the tag. What do I mean you ask?

Here is an example lets say that I make a scenery tag and I use a bitmap that is in a custom folder that is not in the folder hierarchy for my tag. That means that it is not one of the default bitmaps that came with the Hek editing kit and it is not in the file structure for my tag.

So when you download my tag and try to use it, it will not work. It will give you errors in Sapien that files are missing,

So your options are: open the tag in Guerilla and see if you can correct the problem; by using assets from other tags like it. Or find a map that is not protected and use Hek + to extract the tag that is not working. Or ask one of your fellow Halo modders for help finding a working tag.

I have fixed many tags by using the assets of another tag that is like the one that I am fixing. But it would not me my first choice. I would use Hek + to extract a working tag out of a non-protected map.

Hope this helps, and good Gaming

Good Luck!

smarsh556

Posted: May 21, 2011 11:02 AM    Msg. 22 of 23       
my last question, how do u edit a single player level, like a10, with sapien and be able to play it in the game???
Edited by smarsh556 on May 21, 2011 at 07:22 PM

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: May 24, 2011 02:25 PM    Msg. 23 of 23       
Quote: --- Original message by: smarsh556

my last question, how do u edit a single player level, like a10, with sapien and be able to play it in the game???
Edited by smarsh556 on May 21, 2011 at 07:22 PM

by opening the a10 scenario in sapien and adding and removing what you want/don't want.

incase your having problems opening them maps,use this...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DMJWLG94

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu February 27, 2020 3:13 PM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website