Sorry Pictures out of order.
Hi Everyone Omni_Warrior asked me to post this for him because halomaps.org told him that he could not post pictures yet because he is new.
I know you sent me the question as a personal email, but I thought as long as I am going to make a short tutorial for you on how to place vehicles in Sapien. I should go ahead and post it for everyone. Kiry_422 and UBE_Chief gave you the correct information.
There are two ways to setup vehicles to be used for Halo CE maps. The first way and the safest in my opinion is to place the vehicle in the globals.globals file, like Kirby_422 first suggested. The second is to make a script and run the script in Sapein. (I have seen problems with vehicle spawning incorrectly with this option.) The only vehicles that I script into a map are stationary vehicles like turrets. That way you do not run into the chance of having a spawning problem.) < Kirby_422 or UBE_Chief may have a different opinion. >
Procedure for placing vehicles by changing the globals.globals file:
1. First thing make a backup of your globals.globals file. (This will protect you just in case you do something stupid and screw something up. “And I am not saying that just to be a but head. Believe me I have did it before and thank goodness I had a backup”
2. Open Guerilla
3. Next click on file, then click on open. Now navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\tags\globals. This is the location if you did a default install of Halo CE (see example image below)
4. Now Click on the globals.globals file and click on the Open button.
5. Next scroll down to about 3/4 of the way down the file and you will see a location for vehicles. This is where the six vehicles for your map is referenced. (see image below)
6. Now choose on of the existing vehicles that you want to delete to make room for your new vehicle. Highlight it and click on the “Delete” button. (see image below)
7. Next you need to add your vehicle to the list. Click on the “add” button. Now click on the “…” button . You will find this button under the add button and next to a text box. A new window will open. Navigate to where the vehicle tag is that you want to add. Click on it and click the Open button. (see image below) < Kirby_422 and UBE_Chief may disagree with me in deleting and then adding the vehicle. The reason I do it this way is that I have had issues in the past with the vehicle not being place correctly.)
8. Once you click the Open button you have added your vehicle to the list.
9. Now click on file, then click on save. You are done. (see image below)
Procedure for scripting a vehicle:
1. Open your map in Sapien
2. Next place the vehicle that you want to script in your map. “This next step is very important. <<< make sure to give your vehicle a name >>>> if you don’t your script will not work. In this example I named mine laag1. (see image below)
3. next is the script. Open notepad and type in the following code. ( ONLY TYPE THE CODE BETWEEN THE /* */)
/* (script startup vehiclespawn
) */ (see image below)
4. <<<< Very Important: add a folder in the following path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\data\levels\test\your_map\ and name the file scripts >>>>
5. Next click on file and save as., name your script with the .hsc file extension and make sure that you change the “Save as type to All files” Save the file in the new script folder that you made. if you do not your script will not work. (see image below)
6. Now open your map in Sapien and click on file then click on compile scripts. If everything went well you should see “Scripts Successfully Compiled” (see image below)
That is the end of this short tutorial.
For all of the new Halo CE mappers that are having trouble starting your first map. Krispy1001, and myself have submitted a starter map and tutorial to Halomaps.org and it should be out in the next week or so. The name of the map is “startermap1”. We are working on part two of the tutorial right now.
Thanks, Hope this helps.Edited by krispy1001 on May 20, 2011 at 10:14 PM