A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Convert a .scenario to .map- am confused

Author Topic: Convert a .scenario to .map- am confused (11 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Eirik SMoldskred

Posted: May 18, 2011 10:10 AM    Msg. 1 of 11       
I have searched for stuff to convert a .scenario to .map, but i cant find annything!
i now how to use the tool but i need info about how i can do a .scenario to .map

cyboryxmen

--CG artist-- New mission. Refuse this Mission!

Posted: May 18, 2011 11:06 AM    Msg. 2 of 11       
Quote: --- Original message by: Daniel
Hello halomaps user l28/assasinchief/strangebrew,

You will need to open a command line interface. In this navigate to your Halo CE root directory.
Now type in the following:

tool build-cache-file

That's it!
Good luck :-)

Rather bold claim but tis most likely true. If you can make it that far and know something about scenarios, you won't even think of asking that question let alone make a thread about it. It's embarrassing.
-Zekilk

Omni_Warrior

It Shall Not Happen Again!

Posted: May 18, 2011 08:45 PM    Msg. 3 of 11       
Hi Eirik

Don't let people that have bad attitudes keep you from having fun with Halo map making.
Not everyone here is like that.

Here is an easy way for you to use tool commands.

Open notepad and copy and past the lines that are between the /* */ into notepad.
/*
rem Tool function to build map cache-file

cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition
tool build-cache-file levels\test\you map folder name\your map name
pause

*/
Next type the name build_map.bat in to the “File name” box
Make sure that you change the “Save as type” to All files before you save the file
Also make sure you save the batch file in the parent folder for your map.
Click Save.

This batch file will work as long as you have saved your map in the default location for Hek tools. And that you have followed the correct folder hierarchy explained in the Hek Tutorial that came with Halo CE editing kit. If you did not save your map in the path that the batch file is point to you will have to change the path to the correct location.

If you need any more help let me know.

Eirik SMoldskred

Posted: May 20, 2011 12:56 PM    Msg. 4 of 11       
I stll got a singel problem before im done, i have some tags i want to add, and the show up on sapien, but not on halo ce (the map i made) it a hevy scorpion. what im doing wrong???

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: May 20, 2011 01:04 PM    Msg. 5 of 11       
you need to open the guerilla app and click file/open then open the tag your trying to use.
scroll down the window in guerilla and see if any parts of the text are red.
if there are red parts then you next to fix the path of them parts of the tag.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: May 20, 2011 01:50 PM    Msg. 6 of 11       
Did you either add the vehicle to globals.globals, or script it to spawn? globals.globals is located in the globals folder (did I mention globals?) and you cannot add a new vehicle in there, instead you must replace another one in the list. If you need more types of vehicles than that, then use scripts to spawn them. Also, in the scenario, each vehicle has flags 'slayer allowed' 'slayer default', if your using globals, the wanted gametypes must be checked off (scripts ignore that).

UBE Chief

Raising the bar, one kill at a time.

Posted: May 20, 2011 02:45 PM    Msg. 7 of 11       
Question: Why add a Heavy Scorpion?

It has got to be the most over-powered and laggy vehicle ever created (especially with all the weapons going at once) -_-

ANYways...cutting down on the text wall above me...

1) Place the vehicle you want in your .scenario (via sapien)

2) Select all the gametyes you want it to spawn in (except for "unused")

3) Save and exit sapien

4) Open up globals.globals in your /tags/globals folder (via guerilla)

5) Scroll down to "VEHICLES"

6) Select one of the original vehicles there (warthog; rwarthog; ghost; banshee; scorpion; c_gun_turret_mp)

7) Click on the [...] button to open up a browsing window

8) Browse to your vehicle (in this case /vehicles/heavy scorpion/heavy scorpion.vehicle) and click OPEN

9) Save and exit guerilla

10) Compile (tool build-cache-file levels/[map name]/[map name])

Omni_Warrior

Posted: May 20, 2011 06:40 PM    Msg. 8 of 11       
Hi Eirik!

I know you sent me the question as a personal email, but I thought as long as I am going to make a short tutorial for you on how to place vehicles in Sapien. I should go ahead and post it for everyone. Kiry_422 and UBE_Chief gave you the correct information.

There are two ways to setup vehicles to be used for Halo CE maps. The first way and the safest in my opinion is to place the vehicle in the globals.globals file, like Kirby_422 first suggested. The second is to make a script and run the script in Sapein. (I have seen problems with vehicle spawning incorrectly with this option.) The only vehicles that I script into a map are stationary vehicles like turrets. That way you do not run into the chance of having a spawning problem.)

Procedure for placing vehicles by changing the globals.globals file:

1. First thing make a backup of your globals.globals file. (This will protect you just in case you do something stupid and screw something up. “And I am not saying that just to be a but head. Believe me I have did it before and thank goodness I had a backup”
2. Open Guerilla
3. Next click on file, then click on open. Now navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\tags\globals. This is the location if you did a default install of Halo CE (see example image below)

4. Now Click on the globals.globals file and click on the Open button.
5. Next scroll down to about 3/4 of the way down the file and you will see a location for vehicles. This is where the six vehicles for your map is referenced. (see image below)

6. Now choose on of the existing vehicles that you want to delete to make room for your new vehicle. Highlight it and click on the “Delete” button. (see image below)

7. Next you need to add your vehicle to the list. Click on the “add” button. Now click on the “…” button . You will find this button under the add button and next to a text box. A new window will open. Navigate to where the vehicle tag is that you want to add. Click on it and click the Open button. (see image below) >>> if you don’t your script will not work. In this example I named mine laag1. (see image below)

3. next is the script. Open notepad and type in the following code. ( ONLY TYPE THE CODE BETWEEN THE /* */)
/* (script startup vehiclespawn
(object_create_anew laag1)
) */ (see image below)

4. >>>
5. Next click on file and save as., name your script with the .hsc file extension and make sure that you change the “Save as type to All files” Save the file in the new script folder that you made. if you do not your script will not work. (see image below)

6. Now open your map in Sapien and click on file then click on compile scripts. If everything went well you should see “Scripts Successfully Compiled” (see image below)

That is the end of this short tutorial.

For all of the new Halo CE mappers that are having trouble starting your first map. Krispy1001, and myself have submitted a starter map and tutorial to Halomaps.org and it should be out in the next week or so. The name of the map is “startermap1”. We are working on part two of the tutorial right now.

Thanks, Hope this helps.

Sorry I guess Halomaps.org does not allow pictures. If you would like the post with picture send me a personal email and I will send it to you.

UBE Chief

Raising the bar, one kill at a time.

Posted: May 20, 2011 08:57 PM    Msg. 9 of 11       
Halomaps DOES allow pictures - did you use the correct BBC? [ img] and [ /img] - without the added spaces, of course.

Omni_Warrior

Posted: May 20, 2011 09:22 PM    Msg. 10 of 11       
UBE_Chief
I will re-post my tutorial with pictures in a few minutes. I did not know that you had to embed the picture into the post. I cut and pasted them from Microsoft word.

Thanks!

krispy1001

It Happens

Posted: May 20, 2011 10:05 PM    Msg. 11 of 11       
Sorry Pictures out of order.

Hi Everyone Omni_Warrior asked me to post this for him because halomaps.org told him that he could not post pictures yet because he is new.

Hi Eirik!

I know you sent me the question as a personal email, but I thought as long as I am going to make a short tutorial for you on how to place vehicles in Sapien. I should go ahead and post it for everyone. Kiry_422 and UBE_Chief gave you the correct information.

There are two ways to setup vehicles to be used for Halo CE maps. The first way and the safest in my opinion is to place the vehicle in the globals.globals file, like Kirby_422 first suggested. The second is to make a script and run the script in Sapein. (I have seen problems with vehicle spawning incorrectly with this option.) The only vehicles that I script into a map are stationary vehicles like turrets. That way you do not run into the chance of having a spawning problem.) < Kirby_422 or UBE_Chief may have a different opinion. >

Procedure for placing vehicles by changing the globals.globals file:

1. First thing make a backup of your globals.globals file. (This will protect you just in case you do something stupid and screw something up. “And I am not saying that just to be a but head. Believe me I have did it before and thank goodness I had a backup”
2. Open Guerilla
3. Next click on file, then click on open. Now navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\tags\globals. This is the location if you did a default install of Halo CE (see example image below)

4. Now Click on the globals.globals file and click on the Open button.
5. Next scroll down to about 3/4 of the way down the file and you will see a location for vehicles. This is where the six vehicles for your map is referenced. (see image below)

6. Now choose on of the existing vehicles that you want to delete to make room for your new vehicle. Highlight it and click on the “Delete” button. (see image below)

7. Next you need to add your vehicle to the list. Click on the “add” button. Now click on the “…” button . You will find this button under the add button and next to a text box. A new window will open. Navigate to where the vehicle tag is that you want to add. Click on it and click the Open button. (see image below) < Kirby_422 and UBE_Chief may disagree with me in deleting and then adding the vehicle. The reason I do it this way is that I have had issues in the past with the vehicle not being place correctly.)

8. Once you click the Open button you have added your vehicle to the list.
9. Now click on file, then click on save. You are done. (see image below)

Procedure for scripting a vehicle:

1. Open your map in Sapien
2. Next place the vehicle that you want to script in your map. “This next step is very important. <<< make sure to give your vehicle a name >>>> if you don’t your script will not work. In this example I named mine laag1. (see image below)

3. next is the script. Open notepad and type in the following code. ( ONLY TYPE THE CODE BETWEEN THE /* */)
/* (script startup vehiclespawn
(object_create_anew laag1)
) */ (see image below)

4. <<<< Very Important: add a folder in the following path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\data\levels\test\your_map\ and name the file scripts >>>>
5. Next click on file and save as., name your script with the .hsc file extension and make sure that you change the “Save as type to All files” Save the file in the new script folder that you made. if you do not your script will not work. (see image below)

6. Now open your map in Sapien and click on file then click on compile scripts. If everything went well you should see “Scripts Successfully Compiled” (see image below)

That is the end of this short tutorial.

For all of the new Halo CE mappers that are having trouble starting your first map. Krispy1001, and myself have submitted a starter map and tutorial to Halomaps.org and it should be out in the next week or so. The name of the map is “startermap1”. We are working on part two of the tutorial right now.

Thanks, Hope this helps.

Edited by krispy1001 on May 20, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue October 22, 2019 4:05 AM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website