A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[WIP] HaloRank

Page 3 of 3 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · Prev
Author Topic: [WIP] HaloRank (104 messages, Page 3 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 3, 2011 10:04 PM    Msg. 71 of 104       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sean Aero
Sweet but I wouldn't share the link around here to much Dennis is not too fond of it.
It is a direct and blatant violation of the copyright. You cannot sell keys without selling the CD that they are printed on.

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Oct 3, 2011 10:38 PM    Msg. 72 of 104       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Sweet but I wouldn't share the link around here to much Dennis is not too fond of it.
It is a direct and blatant violation of the copyright. You cannot sell keys without selling the CD that they are printed on.

Let's leave it at that and move back to the website / app.
Any thoughts?

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Oct 4, 2011 01:35 AM    Msg. 73 of 104       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

Plus it doesn't comply with any of this whatsoever as it's being sold rather than being used for personal use:

Quote: 1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This EULA grants you the following rights:

• Applications Software. You may only install, access, and run (“RUN”) one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, or any prior version of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT for the same operating system, on a single personal computer, (“COMPUTER”) for your personal, noncommercial use. If not prevented by copy protection technology, the primary user of the COMPUTER on which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is installed may make a second copy for his or her exclusive and personal noncommercial use on a portable computer.

• Editors. If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT contains a software Editor, or a software Editor is made available to you by Microsoft for use with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, you may use the Editor only in conjunction with that content specifically identified in the documentation for use with the Editor. If no content files are identified, you may not use content or other files from the SOFTWARE PRODUCT with the Editor. You may reproduce and share files or scripts created with the Editor with friends or family on a non-commercial basis only. Microsoft does not grant you the right to sell or otherwise distribute files from the SOFTWARE PRODUCT in exchange for value.

• Storage/Network Use. If not prevented by copy protection technology, you may also store or install a copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on a storage device, such as a network server, used only to RUN the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on your other COMPUTERS over an internal network; however, you must acquire and dedicate a license for each separate COMPUTER on which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is RUN from the storage device. A license for the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may not be shared or used concurrently on different COMPUTERS.

• Reservation of Rights. All rights not expressly granted are reserved by Microsoft.

Quote:
  • Software Transfer. The initial licensee of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and SOFTWARE PRODUCT only directly to an end user. This transfer must include all of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). Such transfer may not be by way of consignment or any other indirect transfer. The transferee of such one-time transfer must agree to comply with the terms of this EULA, including the obligation not to further transfer this EULA and SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Quote:
  • Separation of Components. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed as a single product. Its component parts may not be separated for use on more than one COMPUTER.

But then again, I doubt Microsoft cares about a 10 year old product on a platform they barely support.

cyboryxmen

--CG artist-- New mission. Refuse this Mission!

Posted: Oct 4, 2011 09:21 AM    Msg. 74 of 104       
Looks like Jaz needs to...

Jaz out
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Zekilk
Edited by cyboryxmen on Oct 5, 2011 at 03:52 AM

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Oct 4, 2011 11:09 AM    Msg. 75 of 104       
I just got an email from a user asking why HaloPC servers are not showing up.
During the creation of the website I was focused on displaying HaloCE statistics and basically forgot to display the HaloPC server/games/statistics in the process.
I'll write a script in the coming days to show both HaloCE and HaloPC servers as well as statistics.

EDIT: Server of players in HaloPC servers are now shown in the online page http://halorank.com/online.php This should help you get started.
Edited by Sean Aero on Oct 4, 2011 at 12:54 PM
Edited by Sean Aero on Oct 4, 2011 at 01:06 PM

Jaz

Posted: Oct 4, 2011 01:07 PM    Msg. 76 of 104       

I just got an email from a user asking why HaloPC servers are not showing up.
During the creation of the website I was focused on displaying HaloCE statistics and basically forgot to display the HaloPC server/games/statistics in the process.
I'll write a script in the coming days to show both HaloCE and HaloPC servers as well as statistics.

EDIT: Server of players in HaloPC servers are now shown in the online page http://halorank.com/online.php This should help you get started.
Edited by Sean Aero on Oct 4, 2011 at 12:54 PM
Edited by Sean Aero on Oct 4, 2011 at 01:06 PM

Will you be developing any special ranking systems for servers like for example, zombie servers?

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Oct 4, 2011 01:45 PM    Msg. 77 of 104       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz
Will you be developing any special ranking systems for servers like for example, zombie servers?

There will definitely be special ranking systems, however zombies is currently not on the list.
Since this is a special game mode that would require Gandanur to be a changed a bit further to successfully support such gametypes.

There are 2 other special ranking systems on my to-do list which unfortunate for you guys I will not reveal at this point. Since one of these gametypes is depended on a 3rd person so it is really up to this guy to take on the challenge.

The other is more a technical challenge for me and Goemitar to see if it's even possible to successfully manage such a special ranking system. Also within a recent amount of time.
(This one has been on my mind for a while)

So yes, HaloRank.com will offer special ranking system if we believe that we can manage to successfully track such a thing and if we also believe there are enough players for this type of ranking.

The whole goal of the website is to boost people to play again while giving them something new and fresh in exchange.

Wolf_

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 09:56 AM    Msg. 78 of 104       
Bump.

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 10:35 AM    Msg. 79 of 104       
Thanks for the bump!

Figured I post a bit of an "Easter" update.

As most of you know HaloRank was taken down at the end of last year for "scalability" reasons.
To be more specific the database structure and code that I created could not handle the amount of servers that were sending statistics to HaloRank.

Main reason for this was when I started out, I never imagined that I should take something like scalability, performance and optimization into account. So I learned it the hard way as the server count approached 70, the server load had a nice number: 8 showing.
(This means I would need 8 cores running at 100% to keep up with the current tasks/data that was coming in at that exact moment) The server that runs HaloRank "only" has 4 cores and from those 4 I'm suppose to use only 1. So yeah... you can imagine the enormous que of tasks that was still waiting. I was forced to pull the plug.

Although I was happy with the amount of people that showed interest, I was also a little frustrated. So I seeked advice, Btcc22 (known from HAC) explained a few things to me and pointed out a thing or two on what I should keep in mind while coding. Always useful to have some people around that actually study something Computer Science related.

So at the end of November 2011, I went back to the drawing board and forced my self to do it right this time.
Completely mapped the core of the database including all types and attributes being used in Excel. This helped with showing relations, between data and tables, as well as showing bottlenecks in the database. Once the mapping was fully done, I was forced to take a two month break, due to some serious college issues.
Fortunate when you put your mind to something it usually works out quite well and so I'm currently typing all my posts from China(10,000km away from home) as I'm working towards graduating this coming summer.

With no more classes and mainly working from Monday to Friday on my graduation assignment, I noticed that I actually have a bit of free time during the nights and weekends.
This was a bit unexpected and I decided to pick up HaloRank again where I left off.

Currently things are going slow but steady and at this point I can guarantee that the system is much, much, much faster! The functionality has expended and today I wanted to show something new which you can expect to see the next time HaloRank is online again.
I hope you like it.

Please share your thoughts and feel free to share what else you would like to see in charts and graph forms. There is a lot planned, but I don't want to give everything away yet.

One more things, for those with a Facebook account and interested to stay updated on HaloRank and some other Halo facts and Halo news. There is a HaloRank Facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/HaloRank [No obligations to join]

That's all for now, Happy Easter! (Although China does not celebrate Easter >.>)
Edited by Sean Aero on Apr 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Jaz

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 10:50 AM    Msg. 80 of 104       
I'd like to see a graph showing the names of every person I've killed and how many times I've killed them. Then I'd like to see a seperate graph showing the names of every person that's killed me and how many times they've killed me. That way I can see who's my best match as a fighting partner or... an arch nemesis.

Probably impossible though? :(

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 12:05 PM    Msg. 81 of 104       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz
I'd like to see a graph showing the names of every person I've killed and how many times I've killed them. Then I'd like to see a seperate graph showing the names of every person that's killed me and how many times they've killed me. That way I can see who's my best match as a fighting partner or... an arch nemesis.

Probably impossible though? :(

Who killed Who, will not be part of the system upon release.
Same goes for any statistics weapons related.

This is due to the way stats are send to the HaloRank database and how Goemitar and I decided to handle stats back when we initially discussed this project. (start small, expand later)
There will be an alternative present to this "best match" / skill problem, so you'll find your nemesis eventually.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 10:18 PM    Msg. 82 of 104       
Quote: --- Original message by: Wolf_
Bump.

READ THE RULES:
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=2979