A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Quitting Mapmaking!

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Quitting Mapmaking! (70 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

nusua

Every step of a tut screws me up. LOL noobish avvy

Posted: Jun 1, 2011 09:56 PM    Msg. 1 of 70       
So, I've had parental controls on this PC that disown my ability to download and run .exe files. Huge problem in mapmaking, especially since I don't have any of the required applications and programs anymore.

However, to show my respect for the community, I am willing to provide original music to someone's map if I have time. Here's some of my work: http://philliplober.com

Thanks for reading and have a good day!

milkkookie

:)

Posted: Jun 1, 2011 10:03 PM    Msg. 2 of 70       
this was completely unnecessary

nusua

Posted: Jun 1, 2011 10:05 PM    Msg. 3 of 70       
Actually, is there a way to compile Custom Edition into a .msi extension instead of .exe?

nusua

Posted: Jun 1, 2011 10:34 PM    Msg. 4 of 70       
Yeah I've been off for a long time. Last time I went on here was 2 years ago.

Does anyone know if CE can be run from a .msi extension?

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Jun 1, 2011 10:36 PM    Msg. 5 of 70       
Take Parental controls off?

nusua

Posted: Jun 1, 2011 10:39 PM    Msg. 6 of 70       
Can't, and I'm pretty sure there isn't an alternative way. I even tried running a .exe file from a thumb drive.

Slayer117

Posted: Jun 1, 2011 10:42 PM    Msg. 7 of 70       
Just out of Curiosity: Why can't you?

Pepzee

Posted: Jun 1, 2011 10:47 PM    Msg. 8 of 70       
You could just ask your parents nicely to take parental controls off so you could play. Avoiding a problem does not solve it.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Jun 1, 2011 10:55 PM    Msg. 9 of 70       
How are the parental controls setup? to block specific programs, or anything except specific ones? Also, have you tried loading the program through CMD?

Anyways, have you heard of LiveCDs? You can run the entire computer off a CD or USB stick. Most LiveCDs are for Linux, but there are a few windows varients (In Linux, you can run Halo through WINE, it works perfectly fine, but 3dsmax doesn't quite work as well. I had it installed once, but then I couldn't install it in newer versions of WINE, theres probably more info on that in the wine database) More over, there is one bootable CD that loads a custom kernel and then your computers OS to bypass passwords, in there you can login as admin and change the parental control.. But, your locating that one on your own because that one can be used for far worse things, and Denis would probably be mad at me.

Anyways, give us more details on your problem, like what you know about your lockdowns, etc.

anonymous_2009

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 07:31 AM    Msg. 10 of 70       
Tell your parents to cut some slack and take the controls off as they are pointless tbqh. Tell them let you live a little ;)

Cheddars

Rave to the Grave.

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 08:23 AM    Msg. 11 of 70       
Cntrl alt delete > processes> click on your parental controls Process an click end process and than it. The parental controls will exit and come back on next time you turn on the computer

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 05:43 PM    Msg. 12 of 70       
Since no one here knows why his parents/guardian have locked down his PC it is unwise and reckless to try to help him get around them. All of you are assuming there was no valid reason and it was just to be mean or something. For example, it may be that the PC he is using is his parent's work laptop or PC that is owned by the company that employs them or maybe it is the PC that contains all their family financial or business records and instead of just forbidding him to use it they have allowed him limited use. You are not looking at the full picture.

*edit: spell checker error
Edited by Dennis on Jun 2, 2011 at 05:50 PM

nusua

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 07:38 PM    Msg. 13 of 70       
First off, thanks to all for the appreciated and unexpected support.

Secondly, to Dennis: This is my own PC. They put it on so that I wouldn't download any viruses. I hope I'm not wasting bandwidth with this thread but I am grateful for all the help.

It's a really secure and stable system, considering the fact that it is hosted by the OS (Windows 7). Visually, any icon with a blue and yellow shield in the corner will ask for a password upon the FIRST run. Any run after that is fine. My parents are a bit against videogames or any program not having to do with school or composing, so my passion for coding and mapmaking (which I am terrible at but love to do) is a tad limited.

I have not heard of LiveCDs. Do you know if Gmax runs decently with it?

There is also a timer on the computer but that is irrelevant.

As far as internet, a seperate system provided by Verizon is used to block anything "innapropriate, sex education, tasteless/gross"

I also cannot run CMD as an administrator without being asked for a password.

...I only play Halo 1. It's the only game I really play. It helps me relax sometimes.
Thanks for the help.

OH, really important sidenote. The whole system is hosted on a user created admin account that I do not have access too, for the sole purpose of not being able to stop the process of the P Controls.
Edited by nusua on Jun 2, 2011 at 07:54 PM
Edited by nusua on Jun 2, 2011 at 07:57 PM

UBE Chief

Raising the bar, one kill at a time.

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 08:07 PM    Msg. 14 of 70       
Wow...seriously?

Dude, just tell them to install a badass anti-virus program and remove the parental controls.

If they're not willing to shell out the cash for a big-brand name (i.e. Norton, McAfee, etc.), tell them to download a free one off the net - a great one I've been using for 3+ years is one from Europe: Avira AntiVirus.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

The link here is LEGIT, and you do have to pay for a more advanced version, but the company does not press you to do so. It's a whole lot better than the one-year protection (because this protects you indefinitely) that all the big-brands hand out to you for ~$60 then leave you without any protection when their services end at the one-year termination point.

Let me explain a few things BEFORE YOU CLICK THE LINK!

The AV program is excellent, it lets you know (via a taskbar popup and internal speaker beeps) if and when a virus (or trojan, malware, etc.) attempts to access your computer and asks you what you want to do with it (move to quarintine, delete, block, etc.) unlike Norton or whoever;

During a scan (full, quick or selective - it has many options for that), it will beep every time a malicious program is found and immediately moves it to quarintine (or, if you changed the settings, it will ask you what to do on the spot);

Scans are very quick, taking (at maximum) an hour for a full, deep system scan of your computer (as in, system files and folders are checked for validity, hidden files and folders are checked, the whole shebang), and <30 minutes for a quick scan - and mind you, these are stats from my infinitely slower, nine-year-old P4 system;

It has a low profile, hardly taking up any RAM/CPU processing while running (visible and/or background).

It may sound like a sales pitch to you, but obviously the program is FREE (unless you want to move up to the professional version) and all you have to do to have it activate is register. They do NOT send e-mails or any other kind of spam you get from BitDefender, Norton, etc.

Best antivirus I've ever had, it never let me down.

Again, here's the link: http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

NinjaEdit: Do you have a reinstallation disk that came with your Win7? If so, use it. >X3
Edited by UBE Chief on Jun 2, 2011 at 08:10 PM

kirby_422

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 08:25 PM    Msg. 15 of 70       
Quote: --- Original message by: nusua
I have not heard of LiveCDs. Do you know if Gmax runs decently with it?

If your using windows liveCDs, then it means it will be the same as running Windows XP, its just every time you start the computer things go back to the way they where before (you can copy the saved data to your actual hard drive, but programs you install will go away) With Linux, depending on how you make the LiveCD (without a CD but a USB) it can save all files, programs, and changes you make as if its actually installed (as far as I know, Ubuntu families of linux are the only ones that support this)

If your going with a linux LiveCD, heres the WINE results and tips on best functionality
Gmax: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=6303
3dsmax: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=343

Looks like your best off with 3dsmax 9 as they rated it Gold in capatibility. Skimming through the other versions, it sounds like other versions will run if you already have it installed from a different OS somewhere, its just that WINE can't use the installer itself.

Anyways, to boot a computer off a CD or USB, your bios has to be set to allow that. Chances are though, that unless your parents have a job in computers, they have no clue what the bios is and wouldn't password protect it or change the boot order. The one password skipping liveCD sounds like its best for your purposes though to just use the computer "as-is" without needing to know the passwords.

SeL

https://twitter.com/FalldogStudio

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 08:41 PM    Msg. 16 of 70       
Out of curiosity, how old are you?

Also this music is really good, got any download links?
Edited by SeL on Jun 2, 2011 at 08:46 PM

anonymous_2009

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 08:52 PM    Msg. 17 of 70       
No offense but your parents seem to have weird parenting techniques... This is 2011, you'd think todays parent's would understand video games are a part of todays kids...

Edited by anonymous_2009 on Jun 2, 2011 at 08:52 PM

milkkookie

:)

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 08:58 PM    Msg. 18 of 70       
maybe he plays fo 2 long.

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 08:59 PM    Msg. 19 of 70       
Quote: --- Original message by: UBE Chief
It may sound like a sales pitch to you, but obviously the program is FREE
Best antivirus I've ever had, it never let me down.
Again, here's the link: http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus
Edited by UBE Chief on Jun 2, 2011 at 08:10 PM
And if you call in the next ten minutes, we'll throw in a second one absolutely free!
But wait... there's more!

UBE Chief

Raising the bar, one kill at a time.

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 09:02 PM    Msg. 20 of 70       
lulz

But yeah, Avira is a great AV, try it.

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 09:09 PM    Msg. 21 of 70       
Hey dude I really liked Avenge for the Fallen, but it felt too short. I was listening to it and I kept expecting it to build to a crescendo but then it just stopped D:

The rest of your "Vast and Epic" stuff is great though. I haven't listened to the rest of your stuff yet, though.

Slayer117

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 09:35 PM    Msg. 22 of 70       
Well at least his parents are technical smart, my dad dosnt even know how to open the internet.

Awww the plus side of living in Hicksville no one else is computer smart so I am God

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 10:09 PM    Msg. 23 of 70       
As long as you have some decent common sense, its really unlikely for you ever to be attacked by a virus. I had my laptop for about 3 years until I was finally attacked by one, and it was all due to going on 4chan. I had no anti-virus or anything stopping it, so my laptop was obliterated... (The wi-fi dosent seem to work anymore either!)

Point of the story: the pc's yours. You can do what with it, tell them that you have some decent common sense and know what the hell your doing with computers. I feel sorry for people with parental controls, it makes them seem as if there parents think there babys. Stand up for yourself, tell them you know how to handle your own pc...

kirby_422

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 10:53 PM    Msg. 24 of 70       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
As long as you have some decent common sense, its really unlikely for you ever to be attacked by a virus. I had my laptop for about 3 years until I was finally attacked by one, and it was all due to going on 4chan. I had no anti-virus or anything stopping it, so my laptop was obliterated... (The wi-fi dosent seem to work anymore either!)

I ran my laptop for a year without antivirus before it got something (although it was only one of those automatic e-mailers, so it wasn't even a difficult virus lol), and I was even running programs I didn't trust on it all the time lol (I reformat computers when im bored, so it doesn't bug me when they get viruses) Anyways, the one time my laptops wireless died, I could either turn it on by rapidly clicking the wireless button in windows, or in linux, go into terminal and run "rfkill -unblock all" and eventually it fixed itself after leaving rfkill as a startup command for 3 months (no clue why though lol, all that matters is it's fixed) Mine was hardware as I reinstalled the OS at that point trying to fix it, im asumming yours is too as you would of fixed it by now if it was software.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 10:57 PM    Msg. 25 of 70       
Yes its obviously not software, I tried reinstalling the drivers on it and nothing would work... It happened after I reformatted it.

So what does exactly "rfkill -unblock all" exactly do? I'm leaving on a train tommorow for 14 hours with nothing but a textbook, study guide, laptop, and ipod. I'll be playing with it im sure.

kirby_422

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 11:11 PM    Msg. 26 of 70       
rfkill is a linux command about restrictions on wireless transmissions (bluetooth, wlan, etc) Not quite sure why they decided on the name rfkill, but whatever lol.

Using "rfkill -unblock all" tells it to remove any and all restrictions on wireless and let it do what ever it can. You have some version of linux installed already? I'd suggest ubuntu since it has almost every driver available on install lol.

Dennis

Posted: Jun 3, 2011 12:14 AM    Msg. 27 of 70       
Quote: --- Original message by: nusua
My parents are a bit against videogames or any program not having to do with school or composing, so my passion for coding and mapmaking (which I am terrible at but love to do) is a tad limited.
Well there you go. I am assuming you are not of majority. So, even if you get to use it it is their PC or else you wouldn't be restricted. I know you don't like it but there it is. Talk to them calmly and rationally and explain. (something people just can't seem to do for some reason)
Quote: --- Original message by: anonymous_2009
No offense but your parents seem to have weird parenting techniques... This is 2011, you'd think todays parent's would understand video games are a part of todays kids...
Just because they are part of today, parents don't have to like video games and as they become more violent and readily available it is their responsibility to restrict their children from them until they are prepared to play them. My nephews are restricted to only certain times and certain games and they are both well rounded, happy and active (more than their peers) people. And they still beat me at Halo.
Edited by Dennis on Jun 3, 2011 at 12:15 AM

ghost901

Posted: Jun 3, 2011 12:40 AM    Msg. 28 of 70       
Download this burn it to a disk and delete the Administrator password then you will be able to disable parental controls
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/gr/offlinentpwed.htm

kirby_422

Posted: Jun 3, 2011 12:46 AM    Msg. 29 of 70       
you do realize that if he deletes the password, hes parents will realize next time they try to use the computer, right? Besides, if the user has encrypted files it will delete those. You may want to get rid of the link before dennis sees that. Alot better using the one liveCD that just loads a custom kernel and then the OS from harddisk to ignore passwords rather than delete them.

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Jun 3, 2011 01:09 AM    Msg. 30 of 70       
Your best bet is to do what Dennis said. It's what I did. I didn't have parental controls, but they didn't trust me with an internet connection. If you go behind their backs you may succeed for a bit, but eventually they'll find out. If you talk to them rationally and demonstrate your computer knowledge then they will be more receptive to changing their policy. Plus, if that doesn't work, you can still go behind their backs later on :P

SeL

Posted: Jun 3, 2011 06:28 AM    Msg. 31 of 70       
Quote: --- Original message by: L0d3x
The music on your site is great man.
Though I honestly doubt it's your site, I just find it odd that a person capable of making such amazing music, and having such a great site, would be limited by "parental control". That kind of stuff takes professional tools and equipment.

^^

It does seem more than a little fishy!

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jun 3, 2011 09:08 AM    Msg. 32 of 70       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
rfkill is a linux command about restrictions on wireless transmissions (bluetooth, wlan, etc) Not quite sure why they decided on the name rfkill, but whatever lol.

Using "rfkill -unblock all" tells it to remove any and all restrictions on wireless and let it do what ever it can. You have some version of linux installed already? I'd suggest ubuntu since it has almost every driver available on install lol.

noo, i have windows installed, not linux.

Dennis

Posted: Jun 3, 2011 12:42 PM    Msg. 33 of 70       
OK, I took a better look at the website you posted and checked the IP Geo-location against the public information about Phillip Lober and both point to Redondo Beach, CA so I am going to assume you are him or some friend of his trying to promote him. Assuming you are the him; I am going to give you some advice.

The person who wrote and arranged the music on that website has talent and potential and should not do a single thing that would screw up, impede or otherwise distract them from going further in the music field. Screw making video game maps right now and stay focused on the music. If your parents won't lift the restrictions on your PC remember that they allowed you that music studio. I know that waiting 2 or three years when you graduate from High School and can do what you like with your own PC seems like a bloody eternity right now but take it from someone who has actually lived an eternity, in you your reckoning of time, there will be plenty of time to make maps if indeed you wish to later. Right now stay with the music.

*edit - corrected typos
Edited by Dennis on Jun 3, 2011 at 01:14 PM

Reaper 201

Rezurrected to Kill

Posted: Jun 3, 2011 01:01 PM    Msg. 34 of 70       
I'll have to agree with Dennis there, your music is great and if you composed all of that you have an astounding talent and should for something greater than just providing it to us. You could be composing the music for the next Halo, or some other game. Heck you could be making the sound track for A-list movies!

Quick thing, what was or is this "Ultimage" game your site?
Edited by Reaper 201 on Jun 3, 2011 at 01:04 PM

SeL

Posted: Jun 3, 2011 01:18 PM    Msg. 35 of 70       
Assuming this is legit I'm going to have to disagree with Dennis. If you want to do something art related that is perfectly reasonable, and there is zero reason why your parents should tell you what artistic endeavors you can and can not pursue.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat November 16, 2019 8:28 PM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website