A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Referring players in scripts theory

Author Topic: Referring players in scripts theory (12 messages, Page 2 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Jun 5, 2011 09:44 PM    Msg. 8 of 12       
.. do you have a reason for my to turn my explanation on how to do it into an actual script rather than letting you do it yourself?... name one thing your working on that needs to track the same player through multiple deaths.

The reason I didn't do the quicker non-continuing variant for my portal gun was because I was lazy, and your expecting that ill do the more advanced variant for you when there is almost no point to tracking this stuff?.. Local Player is like the only thing worth tracking so you can do camera scripts for them without effecting everyone.

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Jun 5, 2011 10:05 PM    Msg. 9 of 12       
I got a bunch of things.

cyboryxmen

--CG artist-- New mission. Refuse this Mission!

Posted: Jun 5, 2011 10:36 PM    Msg. 10 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
Local Player is like the only thing worth tracking so you can do camera scripts for them without effecting everyone.

I wished it would be that simple. Scripts like that do not even need syncing and usually just require the flashlight states command to work but after trying to make a points script for Multiplayer, things tend to get buggy. Since the goal of the map is to get as much points as possible, every machine must know every individual's points plus keeping your hard earned points in your scoreboard and not the other player's.

Using flashlight states alone is not enough. We need a specific biped made for the local player and not the(ever so changing, irritating, eye ripping, smack wapping ding dong watatata) player number. This method will also be used for inventory scripts and synced permutations *hint* *hint*
-Zekilk

Edited because my mind was suddenly thinking about other problems so the post doesn't make sense(it does that a lot lol)
Edited by cyboryxmen on Jun 5, 2011 at 10:52 PM
Edited by cyboryxmen on Jun 5, 2011 at 10:53 PM

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Jun 5, 2011 11:46 PM    Msg. 11 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: cyboryxmen
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
Local Player is like the only thing worth tracking so you can do camera scripts for them without effecting everyone.

I wished it would be that simple. Scripts like that do not even need syncing and usually just require the flashlight states command to work but after trying to make a points script for Multiplayer, things tend to get buggy. Since the goal of the map is to get as much points as possible, every machine must know every individual's points plus keeping your hard earned points in your scoreboard and not the other player's.

I don't know where camera slipped into points, but lets go over points first.

Its true you don't want the local player to sync. Why would you want all the clients thinking their local player is the host when its not?.. you'd do it with a piece of scenery or something.

second, points.. I don't really get where your going there, but you can't check who killed who, so using this to track kills won't work. What kind of points are you looking for?.... it would work fine for counting how many times a player has died, but not really much else.

This method will also be used for inventory scripts and synced permutations

Permutations, why would you care that everyone sees you the same?... and inventory, why not just be lazy and physically attach it to the player, and when the player hits their flashlight, try to detach every object in the map from them insuring if they have something its used?.. alot easier/lazier.

And slappy, do you see where im coming from? writing up that script takes alot more effort than summerizing everything that needs to be done in what order. Making that script, I don't see any benifit for me; This script won't entertain me, nor will it really do much for anyone. Why would I waste all that time toiling around making something I don't even want, nor see meaning behind?

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 05:51 PM    Msg. 12 of 12       
I wished it would be that simple. Scripts like that do not even need syncing and usually just require the flashlight states command to work

I'm interested in how you guys have done this. Mind telling how?

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri May 29, 2020 10:03 PM 390 ms.
A Halo Maps Website