A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »Help with the .ASS Exporter?

Author Topic: Help with the .ASS Exporter? (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Sgt Catastrophe

I hate sticky key popups while playing games...

Posted: Jun 12, 2011 09:13 PM    Msg. 1 of 8       
Alright, I'm having so much trouble with the .ASS exporter TheGhost made...I have tried both Editable Mesh and Editable Poly and I cant seem to get a clean export or a clean compile. I get errors for both the script and H2 Tool. Can anyone help? I am using 3DS Max 2010.
Edited by Sgt Catastrophe on Jun 12, 2011 at 09:16 PM
Edited by Sgt Catastrophe on Jun 12, 2011 at 09:17 PM

Sgt Catastrophe

Posted: Jun 12, 2011 09:16 PM    Msg. 2 of 8       
.ass is a type of file that H2 tool uses to make a .scenario file. But I have so much trouble with it ._.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Jun 12, 2011 09:35 PM    Msg. 3 of 8       
its easier to help you if you tell us what errors your encountering. Because for all we know, your mistake could be your using a toaster instead of your computer.

Sgt Catastrophe

Posted: Jun 12, 2011 10:16 PM    Msg. 4 of 8       
When I try to export with TheGhost's .ASS exporter, I get this error:

--No ""get"" function for undefined

I cannot figure out how to fix this.

When I attempt to compile in tool, I get these error messages:

-- mylevel.ass
processing enviroment geometry...
couldn't read mesh definition triangles count: unexpected end of file during parse
couldn't parse definition #1
couldn't parse file 'e:\mygames\halo 2 map editor\data\scenarios\multi\mylevel\structure\mylevel.ass'
### ERROR structure import pipeline failed for scenarios\multi\mylevel\mylevel
Press any key to continue. . .
Edited by Sgt Catastrophe on Jun 12, 2011 at 11:21 PM

kirby_422

Posted: Jun 13, 2011 12:53 AM    Msg. 5 of 8       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sgt Catastrophe
--No ""get"" function for undefined

There should be a window of code with something highlighted, tell us whats highlighted.
Quote: --- Original message by: Sgt Catastrophe
couldn't read mesh definition triangles count: unexpected end of file during parse

This means the file is incomplete/corrupt, because it hit the end of the file before it finished getting what it wanted.

But I'd really recommend just going with Halo Custom Edition.. I just reinstalled H2V the other day, and tool freaking crashes when I try to run lightmaps on a box map... H1 100% better.

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Jun 13, 2011 05:30 AM    Msg. 6 of 8       
@Sgt Catastrophe

Do not use anything other then 3DS Max 8. The problem is with the exporter you are using as well.

---------------------------------------------------

@kirby_422

If you cannot figure out how to light a map, then yes it is easy to blame the tools. It also means you did not follow the directions or didn't know any better. I suggest the following steps to properly light a map:

1) Light the map on the lowest light setting first.

2) Then compile again with no lighting. You can now view the scenario in Sapien (without light yes, but you can still see the BSP and start setting it up).

3) Finish/update the BSP.

4) When happy with the BSP mesh compile the new .ass file and light on full (or a higher light level).

5) Then setup in Sapien. Spawns and such.

6) Package and play.

kirby_422

Posted: Jun 13, 2011 01:45 PM    Msg. 7 of 8       
I tell the launcher program it came with to compile the BSP aswell as make lightmaps at the same time, on 'checkerboard' quality. As soon as it gets to "writing out # buckets", the windows 'so and so program crashed' and then I cannot open the map in sapien as it says there are corrupt files (the lightmaps). And its perfectly reasonable for me to blame the tools as im quite use to HCE, and through multiple tests, I can see where the tools are broken. Anyways, no more thread jacking, if you have a response to me, PM me.

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Jun 13, 2011 06:28 PM    Msg. 8 of 8       
Again, good luck with that. I've lit hundreds of maps in the way I explained, so it sounds like a pebcak error to me.

And I can answer whoever I want if I'm giving useful info, no reason to act the fool. You didn't even start this thread, OP asked and I answered.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri February 28, 2020 2:27 PM 156 ms.
A Halo Maps Website