A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Lumoria: Episode Two.

Page 42 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 36 · 37 · 38 · 39 · 40 · 41 · [42] · 43 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Lumoria: Episode Two. (1485 messages, Page 42 of 43)
Moderators: Dennis

The Lodeman

Hipster Lodeman: Enjoyed goats before it was cool.

Posted: Oct 6, 2012 06:25 AM    Msg. 1436 of 1485       
Arbiter, use SPOILER tags please, for the love of all that is dear to you. Also that "bug" is caused by third party programs that change the FOV, as in a default gamestate it doesn't occur.

Eliteslasher,

There's plenty of save points. The problem is that these are "game_save_no_timeout" savepoints. This means the game will keep checking to see if the area is safe enough to save.

I could have used "game_save_totally_unsave", but then you risk having the player fall in an endless loop where he dies just after a save point.

I implemented the save points in areas I deemed "safe". However without knowing exactly how the game determines an area to be safe, I suppose it can be surprising to see that the game is very careful in the way it determines this.

So no, the distances aren't that huge. The game just doesn't easily consider an area to be safe. What do you want me to do about it, go back and add an empty bit of BSP, and move up every single object of the game to match it?

As I've said before I also find it too bad when people only focus on the downsides, it makes it come across as if the work was for very little. Thank you eliteslasher.
Edited by The Lodeman on Oct 6, 2012 at 06:27 AM

Hobbet360

ProTools > ToolPro

Posted: Oct 6, 2012 06:38 AM    Msg. 1437 of 1485       
just a suggestion for that (game_save_totally_unsafe), to erase the loop you could have done:
(sleep_until
(<
(ai_living_count <name_of_ai>) 1))
(game_save_totally_unsafe)

and if there were more than just one encounter in that area.
(sleep_until
(<
(ai_living_count <name_of_one_of_the_ai>) 1))
(sleep_until
(<
(sleep_until
(<
ect.

anywhom, i have enjoyed all of what i have gotten up to so far.

The Lodeman

Posted: Oct 6, 2012 06:41 AM    Msg. 1438 of 1485       
No, that's not "safe" enough.
What happens when you killed the last AI of a squad, but they have thrown a grenade that is on a path to stick you?

What happens if you accidentally kill yourself just before the last guy of an AI squad dies?

That's how you get the dreaded endless killing loops. It's game breaking.

Hobbet360

ProTools > ToolPro

Posted: Oct 6, 2012 06:43 AM    Msg. 1439 of 1485       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Lodeman
No, that's not "safe" enough.
What happens when you killed the last AI of a squad, but they have thrown a grenade that is on a path to stick you?

What happens if you accidentally kill yourself just before the last guy of an AI squad dies?

That's how you get the dreaded endless killing loops. It's game breaking.

(sleep_until
(<
(sleep_until
(<
(sleep_until
(<
(sleep 150)

?
Edited by hobbet360 on Oct 6, 2012 at 06:43 AM

Dalek

Posted: Oct 6, 2012 06:56 AM    Msg. 1440 of 1485       
I have a stupid question for TM team... Guys will yuou make multiplayer maps with lumoria design ? sorry if the answer is in precedent page, my english is bad.

Thanks for Lumoria guys !

licon4812

Posted: Oct 6, 2012 07:01 AM    Msg. 1441 of 1485       
how do you kill the elite thats inviceable in lumoria 2 (111)

Hobbet360

ProTools > ToolPro

Posted: Oct 6, 2012 07:04 AM    Msg. 1442 of 1485       
Quote: --- Original message by: licon4812
how do you kill the elite thats inviceable in lumoria 2 (111)

melee in the back?
it worked on Brandon in episode 1.

The Lodeman

Posted: Oct 6, 2012 07:05 AM    Msg. 1443 of 1485       
Quote: --- Original message by: hobbet360

(sleep_until
(<
(sleep_until
(<
(sleep_until
(<
(sleep 150)

?
Edited by hobbet360 on Oct 6, 2012 at 06:43 AM

While that may seem safe, it still isn't. What if the player walks off a tall ledge just when it saves, what if the player for some reason throws a grenade near himself (perhaps to jump up a ledge while exploring). These are all scenarios that do happen.

Quote: --- Original message by: Dalek
I have a stupid question for TM team... Guys will yuou make multiplayer maps with lumoria design ? sorry if the answer is in precedent page, my english is bad.

Thanks for Lumoria guys !

At one point we hade a single-player firefight map planned that fit into the campaign events, but at this point in time it doesn't look like we'll be doing it anytime soon (if at all). As for MP, I have no idea. I think there was like that GeoMar map in the works, but Higuy would have to say what's going on with that.

PS: could you guys keep posts in the official release thread from now on, keeps things more organised, no real need to spread feedback on the full release over two threads imo :)
Edited by The Lodeman on Oct 6, 2012 at 07:08 AM

Hobbet360

ProTools > ToolPro

Posted: Oct 6, 2012 07:06 AM    Msg. 1444 of 1485       
thas too many what ifs to counter for... ill keep thinking though.

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Oct 8, 2012 01:33 PM    Msg. 1445 of 1485       
Now think about how many the game has to cover. Even so, sometimes in a non-com you might as well put a game_save_totally_unsafe just so that they have a place to go back to. Even when the game is checking for safety, you can still get in a death loop. I have done this many a time using sticky's and a warthog off a cliff.

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Oct 8, 2012 10:34 PM    Msg. 1446 of 1485       
SPOILERS

Quote: --- Original message by: The_Arbiter

lol a bug
http://imageshack.us/a/img651/9324/haloce2012100615150724.png
Edited by The_Arbiter on Oct 6, 2012 at 02:42 AM

Disable OS and you'll see this
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6240433/actually.jpg
Edited by MatthewDratt on Oct 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM

General Okar

I hate this place

Posted: Oct 8, 2012 10:44 PM    Msg. 1447 of 1485       
Lol that happened to me to it's kind of funny and I was like wtf
Edited by General Okar on Oct 8, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Oct 9, 2012 08:37 PM    Msg. 1448 of 1485       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt

SPOILERS

lol a bug

oshiz, it was meant to be covered up? XD

I thought it was hilarious when the spartan took the helmet off and still had one under, like it was some sort of intentionale joke. (I didn't use OS)

MatthewDratt

Posted: Oct 9, 2012 08:40 PM    Msg. 1449 of 1485       
Quote: --- Original message by: waffles

SPOILERS

lol a bug

But... but, more resolution!

I'm playing Halo in 1080p without OS

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Oct 10, 2012 12:14 PM    Msg. 1450 of 1485       
Quote: --- Original message by: waffles

SPOILERS

lol a bug

But... but, more resolution!

I'm playing Halo in 1080p without OS

But it's nowhere near as good quality. I use vidmode on regular Halo too. It's great for playing on your native resolution to a point. But OS offers FOV features and seems to scale textures depending on your resolution.

Kal825B

Last son of Krypt... Oh wait, i'm a clone.

Posted: Oct 10, 2012 04:19 PM    Msg. 1451 of 1485       
I found that the final boss was easy to beat....

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Oct 10, 2012 08:18 PM    Msg. 1452 of 1485       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tiel
And apparently it also breaks maps that weren't designed with it in mind. I don't think the cost is worth it.

Define break. A slightly skewed cutscene which has no impact on gameplay isn't "breaking" anything. It's hard for me to tell when I play Lumoria (since I do so with OS), but if they are using stock shaders for many of their forerunner devices, OS is actually enhancing them by allowing the normal maps to render. If you are complaining about FPS drops, that can all be easily negated via the config file.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Oct 10, 2012 09:52 PM    Msg. 1453 of 1485       
You didn't give any details at all in your post, I was covering all common complaints. A single cutscene bug doesn't break a map and you can set the HUD to normal behavior using F6. Also, I'm pretty sure the most important thing when downloading a map is well, to enjoy playing the map, not to marvel at a 2 second cinematic.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 06:12 AM    Msg. 1454 of 1485       
Ok well if you'd like to enjoy Lumoria at its fullest don't be using OS or an irregular HUD. He is right that it breaks the cutscene. And even if that moment is only 5~ seconds or so, its an important one, and OS completely breaks it. Lumoria isn't just about nice little encounters, it also obviously has very nicely well put together cutscenes and plenty of other things that make a good Halo map.

Jaz

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 12:15 PM    Msg. 1455 of 1485       
I don't see the issue with using OS.

The cutscene still plays perfectly fine even with OS. The only issue is the helmet, but that's only a minor issue. And that isn't really the fault of OS. Frankly, that's the fault of TM for not developing a custom animation to remove the helmet literally. Yes, blah blah blah, you're a small team. Still though, that doesn't make OS any less valid as an application.

And the HUD can be easily reset to normal behavior. I prefer to use HUD scaling anyway though. The benefits of HUD scaling outweigh the disadvantages such as zoom reticles being glitched out. I don't see the problem really. The rest of the HUD is stretched without HUD scaling. But if you use HUD scaling, you fix the rest of the HUD but then the zoom reticle glitches out. But that's just one piece of the HUD broken while the rest of the HUD is fixed perfectly.

Seriously, trying to use either of these arguments against OS is ridiculous. Neither is major, and the HUD can be fixed incredibly easily.

The many many benefits of OS entirely outweigh these two minor issues. Get over your OS hate, guys. There's nothing wrong with OS whatsoever. Even installation won't be an issue if CMT follow up on their promise to include a custom installer in the next release of SPV3.

Bobblehob

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 12:21 PM    Msg. 1456 of 1485       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz

The cutscene still plays perfectly fine even with OS. The only issue is the helmet, but that's only a minor issue. And that isn't really the fault of OS. Frankly, that's the fault of TM for not developing a custom animation to remove the helmet literally. Yes, blah blah blah, you're a small team. Still though, that doesn't make OS any less valid as an application.

And the HUD can be easily reset to normal behavior. I prefer to use HUD scaling anyway though. The benefits of HUD scaling outweigh the disadvantages such as zoom reticles being glitched out. I don't see the problem really. The rest of the HUD is stretched without HUD scaling. But if you use HUD scaling, you fix the rest of the HUD but then the zoom reticle glitches out. But that's just one piece of the HUD broken while the rest of the HUD is fixed perfectly.

Seriously, trying to use either of these arguments against OS is ridiculous. Neither is major, and the HUD can be fixed incredibly easily.

The many many benefits of OS entirely outweigh these two minor issues. Get over your OS hate, guys. There's nothing wrong with OS whatsoever. Even installation won't be an issue if CMT follow up on their promise to include a custom installer in the next release of SPV3.

What... did you just say that it is TM's fault for not making a custom animation to deal with the effect of OS? Are you seriously that stupid?

MatthewDratt

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 12:51 PM    Msg. 1457 of 1485       
OS ruins a part of my cinematic. OS was not designed in mind with the map. The map plays just fine without OS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSAOMscHoPA Non-OS ending cinematic legendary *SPOILERS*

Jaz

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 02:08 PM    Msg. 1458 of 1485       
Quote: --- Original message by: Bobblehob

What... did you just say that it is TM's fault for not making a custom animation to deal with the effect of OS? Are you seriously that stupid?

No, I am not stupid. I said it is TM's fault for not making a real animation. Even without OS, some people could find this issue with custom settings or other apps. TM can't blame OS for this. They took shortcuts, there are consequences. Blaming OS for this because it fixes the FOV is ridiculous.
TM is a small team and perhaps couldn't do this. But people blaming OS for messing up their cinematic is stupid.

Bobblehob

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 02:21 PM    Msg. 1459 of 1485       

No, I am not stupid. I said it is TM's fault for not making a real animation. Even without OS, some people could find this issue with custom settings or other apps. TM can't blame OS for this. They took shortcuts, there are consequences. Blaming OS for this because it fixes the FOV is ridiculous.
TM is a small team and perhaps couldn't do this. But people blaming OS for messing up their cinematic is stupid.

Yes, you are being stupid. They used one of the original animations that would work perfectly well with the game as released by Gearbox. Not by the game, modified by screwy user made tools. Expecting them to make a new animation just to make the people who are using said screwy user made tool is absolutely idiotic.

This would be akin to being mad at Bungie for the Jtag tool that you are using, screwing up the cutscenes in Reach.

Jaz

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 02:36 PM    Msg. 1460 of 1485       

Yes, you are being stupid. They used one of the original animations that would work perfectly well with the game as released by Gearbox. Not by the game, modified by screwy user made tools. Expecting them to make a new animation just to make the people who are using said screwy user made tool is absolutely idiotic.

This would be akin to being mad at Bungie for the Jtag tool that you are using, screwing up the cutscenes in Reach.

I expect nothing from them. If you read my post properly rather than being a dumb ass, you'd note that.

What I said was that TM shouldn't blame OS for any issues with Lumoria. OS fixes issues with Halo. If TM's lack of custom animations means that OS's fixes show up glitches or skipped corners, then that is most certainly not OS's fault. OS breaks nothing. It merely shows up issues that already exist. Blaming OS is stupid.

But I suppose I shouldn't expect you to actually note that that's what I was trying to say and that it's totally logical. You've always been rather ignorant of what I... or anyone says.

KingFisher

Creativity is the main element of level design.

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 02:53 PM    Msg. 1461 of 1485       
Wow. To blame Lumoria's team because they wanted to create a campaign made for an unmodified engine is just as ignorant and stupid. It's the users fault for installing a 'hack' made by an un-official source.

Bobblehob

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 02:58 PM    Msg. 1462 of 1485       

I expect nothing from them. If you read my post properly rather than being a dumb ass, you'd note that.

What I said was that TM shouldn't blame OS for any issues with Lumoria. OS fixes issues with Halo. If TM's lack of custom animations means that OS's fixes show up glitches or skipped corners, then that is most certainly not OS's fault. OS breaks nothing. It merely shows up issues that already exist. Blaming OS is stupid.

But I suppose I shouldn't expect you to actually note that that's what I was trying to say and that it's totally logical. You've always been rather ignorant of what I... or anyone says.

Are you kidding me!? Its incredible how stupid and naive you continue to be. OS causes this particular problem, not TM or CE, and continuing to say that TM is responsible for fixing it is ludicrous.

First of all you talk about OS as if it fixes or solves every problem Halo ever had, which is entirely untrue. It allows for features that were never meant to be put in to CE. The only real issue that it "fixes" is HUD stretching for widescreen resolutions. It gives access to extra features, but also is unstable and causes problems for many users.

Second, TM built Lumoria to work for non-OS users, and the cutscene in question works for non-os users. What you are saying is not logical, but is instead biased because of your opinion of OS, yes OS is nice, but expecting a team building a level who isn't using OS tools to appease OS users on a small issue that NO ONE KNEW EXISTED BEFORE THE SECOND ROUND OF BETA TESTING is just plain stupid. Seriously man, get your head out of your ass.
Edited by Bobblehob on Oct 11, 2012 at 02:59 PM

Jaz

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 03:10 PM    Msg. 1463 of 1485       

Are you kidding me!? Its incredible how stupid and naive you continue to be. OS causes this particular problem, not TM or CE, and continuing to say that TM is responsible for fixing it is ludicrous.

First of all you talk about OS as if it fixes or solves every problem Halo ever had, which is entirely untrue. It allows for features that were never meant to be put in to CE. The only real issue that it "fixes" is HUD stretching for widescreen resolutions. It gives access to extra features, but also is unstable and causes problems for many users.

Second, TM built Lumoria to work for non-OS users, and the cutscene in question works for non-os users. What you are saying is not logical, but is instead biased because of your opinion of OS, yes OS is nice, but expecting a team building a level who isn't using OS tools to appease OS users on a small issue that NO ONE KNEW EXISTED BEFORE THE SECOND ROUND OF BETA TESTING is just plain stupid. Seriously man, get your head out of your ass.
Edited by Bobblehob on Oct 11, 2012 at 02:59 PM

You continue to refuse to read my posts properly. You entirely misunderstand everything I say.
I never said OS fixes all issues Halo ever had. Assuming I think that is seriously stupid. It fixes some things, and unfortunately some maps which weren't developed with no minor issues such as a helmet not literally being taken off are shown up for having those minor issues.

I never said I expect TM to do anything. All I'm saying is that they left a few minor issues in the campaign and OS does not cause them. OS fixes other things, and the minor issues TM left behind are shown up because of OS's fixes. OS doesn't cause these issues, it merely shows them up. Blaming OS for these issues is stupid. Nothing should be expected from OS to cater for these issues. I don't expect TM to remove these issues as I know they're only a small team. But I merely want to point out that OS is not to blame for any of the issues reported. It merely shows up Lumoria's issues which were hidden without OS.

Bobblehob

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 03:13 PM    Msg. 1464 of 1485       
You continue to refuse to read my posts properly. You entirely misunderstand everything I say.
I never said OS fixes all issues Halo ever had. Assuming I think that is seriously stupid. It fixes some things, and unfortunately some maps which weren't developed with no minor issues such as a helmet not literally being taken off are shown up for having those minor issues.

I never said I expect TM to do anything. All I'm saying is that they left a few minor issues in the campaign and OS does not cause them. OS fixes other things, and the minor issues TM left behind are shown up because of OS's fixes. OS doesn't cause these issues, it merely shows them up. Blaming OS for these issues is stupid. Nothing should be expected from OS to cater for these issues. I don't expect TM to remove these issues as I know they're only a small team. But I merely want to point out that OS is not to blame for any of the issues reported. It merely shows up Lumoria's issues which were hidden without OS.

The issue with the cutscene is not an issue without the OS. It is an animation that is made specifically to be used with a camera angle that removes the head of the visible spartan. OS widens the viewing area to an amount that it is not supposed to be in the vanilla game. This is an issue that OS caused, not an issue that TM caused.

The Lodeman

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 03:20 PM    Msg. 1465 of 1485       
Jaz, if you cannot post logically, do not post at all.
We do not cater to "fix" problems the default Halo Editing Kit does not cause. If any problem should arise to users that is not at all related to the default HEK, than that clearly is because of this non default HEK related program.

There is no other truth, this is logic in its purest form. Stop trying to cause an argument because you are so ignorant, just look at what other users are saying and ask yourself why you're the only one who deviates from them.

Anyways, how about a funny story.
If Lumoria had been released even a week later, I'd have been unable to work on the final product.
Just 2 days after release, my D: drive decided it was time to "crash and burn".

That's right, my laptop is messed up. The timing is frankly quite insane. Trying to recover what I can, but I'm afraid Game of Thrones season 2 is all gone-diddly-on D:

Luckily I took backups of my most vital documents.

Cheers and beers.

MatthewDratt

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 04:12 PM    Msg. 1466 of 1485       
Jaz your animation thing confuses me.

TM should have made a custom animation for the cinematic? We did. That is a new animation. The stock one was MC sitting down...

There is no physical way to take the helmet off without switching bipeds if that's what you mean... I'm so confused with your logic

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 06:10 PM    Msg. 1467 of 1485       
I always imagined May as a blonde. But hey, that's just me.

The Lodeman

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 06:26 PM    Msg. 1468 of 1485       
Aye I'm gonna have to say Brunette too. Perhaps even dark red hair :O

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 06:28 PM    Msg. 1469 of 1485       
Dark red hair would have been cool too. If not blonde then then red, yeah.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 11:07 PM    Msg. 1470 of 1485       
Yup, a redhead for sure. Just like the scientist. :)

Page 42 of 43 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 36 · 37 · 38 · 39 · 40 · 41 · [42] · 43 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri October 18, 2019 9:02 PM 1,078 ms.
A Halo Maps Website