A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts
  
 
»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »How to run a fun and enjoyable Halo CE server.

Author Topic: How to run a fun and enjoyable Halo CE server. (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

1337_h4x0r
Joined: Jun 18, 2011


Posted: Jun 18, 2011 10:40 AM    Msg. 1 of 8       
So, you want to run a dedicated server. Here's what you need to do to make it fun and enjoyable.
1. Port Forward. If you can't, use DMZ.
2. Use a popular map. Don't use maps that hardly any1 knows.
3. Stop your pr0n t0rrentz while you are running a server. Otherwise there will be severe lag.
4. Use the player limit. don't allow more players than your upload speed can handle.
5. (I know this sounds controversial, but thios is a sure fire way to get rid of laggers) Use PeerBlock and a custom blacklist from http://www.iblocklist.com/ to ban all Chinese, Mexican, Nigerian and Afghani IPs. This will get rid of 90% of laggers, server crashers and other such scum. For the remaining 10%, if you encounter serious issues, use the banhammer or something such as SAPP or XAP.
6. Don't censor chat. let players use all the f-bombs they want. Otherwise, a resentful player may run a DDoS attack on your server.
7. Use the following http://brandinimp.com/?p=170 to patch your server to 1.0.609 (It is the most popular Halo Ce version). Also disable CD check and be sure to check the box that says "Don't force versions".
Now you will have a server that people will love.

BTW I suggest that this be stickied for future reference.
Edited by 1337_h4x0r on Jun 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM


TauSigmaNova
Joined: Jan 31, 2011

If love is blind, I guess I'll buy myself a cane


Posted: Jun 18, 2011 11:41 AM    Msg. 2 of 8       
Quote: --- Original message by: 1337_h4x0r

So, you want to run a dedicated server. Here's what you need to do to make it fun and enjoyable.
1. Port Forward. If you can't, use DMZ.
2. Use a popular map. Don't use maps that hardly any1 knows.
3. Stop your pr0n t0rrentz while you are running a server. Otherwise there will be severe lag.
4. Use the player limit. don't allow more players than your upload speed can handle.
5. (I know this sounds controversial, but thios is a sure fire way to get rid of laggers) Use PeerBlock and a custom blacklist from http://www.iblocklist.com/ to ban all Chinese, Mexican, Nigerian and Afghani IPs. This will get rid of 90% of laggers, server crashers and other such scum. For the remaining 10%, if you encounter serious issues, use the banhammer or something such as SAPP or XAP.
6. Don't censor chat. let players use all the f-bombs they want. Otherwise, a resentful player may run a DDoS attack on your server.
7. Use the following http://brandinimp.com/?p=170 to patch your server to 1.0.609 (It is the most popular Halo Ce version). Also disable CD check and be sure to check the box that says "Don't force versions".
Now you will have a server that people will love.

BTW I suggest that this be stickied for future reference.
Edited by 1337_h4x0r on Jun 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM


agreed. Should be stickied. I also kinda agree with number 5, as they do cause INTENSE LAG, and usually dont even play. (AFK)


anonymous_2009
Joined: Jun 13, 2009


Posted: Jun 18, 2011 11:42 AM    Msg. 3 of 8       
Looks more like your opinion on how to setup a server actually.

Some things should be done, but not all.


Edited by anonymous_2009 on Jun 18, 2011 at 11:42 AM


milkkookie
Joined: Aug 10, 2010

:)


Posted: Jun 18, 2011 11:54 AM    Msg. 4 of 8       
umm ok i had absolutely no idea on what we the people want.


Sean Aero
Joined: Jun 7, 2009

HaloRank.com


Posted: Jun 18, 2011 12:26 PM    Msg. 5 of 8       
Quote: --- Original message by: 1337_h4x0r to ban all Chinese
Edited by 1337_h4x0r on Jun 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM


Halo has Chinese players? o_0
I tried playing when I was there but you lag out in 30 seconds yourself...


1337_h4x0r
Joined: Jun 18, 2011


Posted: Jun 18, 2011 12:28 PM    Msg. 6 of 8       
BTW just so you know, when you use PeerBlock, do not use any of their "Anti p2p" blacklists or GameSpy will be blocked and your server will not show up on the Game list.

Also if anybody wants to go on my server, the IP is 24.233.178.196 Please post back here with any suggestions or improvements.

Edit: China is blocked to protect my home server from Chinese hackers in general, not just specifically my halo server. Same for Nigeria and Afghanistan.
Edited by 1337_h4x0r on Jun 18, 2011 at 12:30 PM


Sergeant 1337
Joined: May 1, 2010

Do you even lift?


Posted: Jun 18, 2011 03:01 PM    Msg. 7 of 8       
What the hell are they gonna do in Afghanistan??


1337_h4x0r
Joined: Jun 18, 2011


Posted: Jun 18, 2011 04:19 PM    Msg. 8 of 8       
The Afghan government is corrupt and lends its IPs to hackers which use them for botnets. Don't worry, our troops can still connect to my server as they use satellite internet.

DISCLAIMER:
I do not condone misuse of military information systems. Always check all regulations before playing Halo CE on military networks.

 

 
Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread







Time: Tue March 31, 2020 11:22 AM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website