A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »AA?

Author Topic: AA? (21 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

1337_h4x0r

Posted: Jun 18, 2011 12:33 PM    Msg. 1 of 21       
Is there any hack/mod to force halo ce to run with Anti Aliasing? It would look so much better with AA!

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Jun 18, 2011 12:52 PM    Msg. 2 of 21       
it's not a hack....video card settings.

1337_h4x0r

Posted: Jun 18, 2011 12:53 PM    Msg. 3 of 21       
If I force AA on in nvidia settings, halo CE freezes on start.

UBE Chief

Raising the bar, one kill at a time.

Posted: Jun 19, 2011 12:04 PM    Msg. 4 of 21       
I've always thought Halo ran with AA on - and I wanted to turn it off to make the game run faster (as previous experience showed me with my NFS games and GTA:SA) and now it turns out that it was never on? >.<

Stupid old computer...can't wait to get a new one >:U
Edited by UBE Chief on Jun 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Jun 19, 2011 01:11 PM    Msg. 5 of 21       
No, but you may be able to force anastropic filtering.( I do not think that is how you spell it)

1337_h4x0r

Posted: Jun 20, 2011 08:13 PM    Msg. 6 of 21       
neither anisotropic filtering nor aa works. Isn't there a hack I can do with a Hex editor to stop this utterly stupid glitch? (crashing when AA is forced on) I mean, no other game has such stupidity. UT2004 has no AA in the graphics settings, but you can force AA on and make the game look like it's got a brand new graphics engine. If I could force 16xQ CSAA on, Halo would look amazing. I think Microsoft disabled AA so that the Xbox wouldn't look back as it doesn't have AA support.

chrisk123999

=CE= Chris [Captain] [=]

Posted: Jun 20, 2011 08:51 PM    Msg. 7 of 21       
Halo does in fact have anisotropic filtering.

Quote: --- Sawnoose from Bungie.net forums ---
An email conversation the other day reminded me of a config.txt setting for Halo 1 PC that may interest people - the game supports anisotropic filtering, (better than trilinear, which you're probably using now), but for performance reasons, we didn't enable it on cards we hadn't specifically tested. Which now includes any card you'd be using today.

It's easy to enable it, but be warned this is only an unsupported tip, and I can't guarantee how well it will work (that's the whole reason we left it off for unknown cards)

go to your game directory and open config.txt
find the vendor string for your video card's PnP device ID (I'll let others reply with expanded help for people who don't know what this means)

Nvidia users will scroll to here:
///////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// NVIDIA
//
//////////////////////////////////////////////////

Vendor = 0x10b4 "nVidia"
Vendor = 0x12d2 "nVidia"
Vendor = 0x10de "nVidia"

If you have a modern card, your device ID isn't listed below. So scroll down to the Unknown section:

Unknown = "Unknown"
//UseAnisotropicFilter

remove the "//" from this line to enable aniso. If you don't like it, put them back to comment out the line again.

Enjoy!

(p.s. - no, this isn't what I meant in the podcast. I'm not planning any game changes or updates. There are no concrete plans for the CD key, but it's your way to show us that you're a Halo 1 player, which we might want to know in the future.)

Edited by chrisk123999 on Jun 20, 2011 at 08:52 PM

cyboryxmen

--CG artist-- New mission. Refuse this Mission!

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 10:01 AM    Msg. 8 of 21       
Anisotropic filtering can remove aliasing too and can enhance the image quality of textures on surfaces that are at oblique viewing angles. I guess Halo doesn't have that.

Correct me if I'm wrong
-Zekilk

chrisk123999

=CE= Chris [Captain] [=]

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 12:00 AM    Msg. 9 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: cyboryxmen
Anisotropic filtering can remove aliasing too and can enhance the image quality of textures on surfaces that are at oblique viewing angles. I guess Halo doesn't have that.

Correct me if I'm wrong
-Zekilk

What? Your sense doesn't make sense. Halo clearly has Anisotropic filtering, did you not read my post?

cyboryxmen

--CG artist-- New mission. Refuse this Mission!

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 01:37 AM    Msg. 10 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: chrisk123999
Quote: --- Original message by: cyboryxmen

Correct me if I'm wrong
-Zekilk

What? Your sense doesn't make sense. Halo clearly has Anisotropic filtering, did you not read my post?

Sorry. I thought that you said anti-aliasing.
-Zekilk

Diaboy

A self-fulfilling prophecy of endless possibility

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 06:45 PM    Msg. 11 of 21       
It is possible to increase the filtering past what the in game settings offer - on my RADEON settings, Anisotropic is set to 16x rather than being application managed, and Halo looks much better. Can post pics if people want :)

ptowery

oify

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 08:59 PM    Msg. 12 of 21       
I got it to work, but I found Text Chat stopped working for some reason. I have an ATI Radeon HD 5770.

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 09:07 PM    Msg. 13 of 21       
Diaboy, how do you set the anisotropic filtering to a higher value? I uncommented the // and I want the 16x plz.

milkkookie

:)

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 09:29 PM    Msg. 14 of 21       
post the pic.

Diaboy

Posted: Jun 25, 2011 08:06 AM    Msg. 15 of 21       
Right, I have the ATI Radeon HD 4800 (a little older than I'd like but meh, still a good card) and in the catalyst control centre you can set the anisotropic filtering to either Application managed, 2x, 4x, 8x or 16x. I also have adaptive AA enabled and mipmap detail on high quality (I also have triple buffering on but I don't think this affects Halo). I'll be quite honest and say I'm really not sure which parts are improving display, but there is a definite difference. Here is a screenshot with it all on application managed:

And with my aforementioned settings:

There is a definite improvement on the textures. I don't think adaptive AA applies to Halo at all. I have also noticed on some of the longer weapons like the sniper rifle, it improves the textures on those as well.

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Jun 25, 2011 09:31 AM    Msg. 16 of 21       
I maxed out everything in my catalyst control center and used adaptive AA. The game looks much better texture wise, but still, Halo does not support AA.

Still an awesome upgrade.
If you compare the two pictures from diaboy's post, you can see that the rock in the bottom right is much clearer and detailed than the rock in the first picture.
Edited by XlzQwerty1 on Jun 25, 2011 at 09:32 AM

Diaboy

Posted: Jun 25, 2011 12:03 PM    Msg. 17 of 21       
I seem to remember reading that there was one graphics card that supports AA in Halo, but it was via a different program to boost the graphics - didn't work with any other card, though. I think it was that program people use to put bloom into Halo?

OrangeJuice

Still here because their site isn't active either

Posted: Jun 25, 2011 11:38 PM    Msg. 18 of 21       
I guess none of y'all were around before halo PC came into the picture?
Here's some info to clear things up:
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=23466

Remember back then when Halo PC was treated like Crysis when people tried to make PCs that could actually run it decently? Most games at that time used 3d models with shaders applied where needed, while Halo was made using 100% shaders for everything. FastShaders were introduced which bypassed the API to allow better performance because, back then, PCs just sucked at running Halo. One of the consequences of using FastShaders was the loss of AntiAliasing support.

Co1t3r

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 01:12 AM    Msg. 19 of 21       
That thread actually has a quote explaining Halo CE's netcode.
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=23466&page=3

blackant02

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 12:00 PM    Msg. 20 of 21       
you can use injectSMAA here is a link it works for anti-aliasing http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 02:34 PM    Msg. 21 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: blackant02
you can use injectSMAA here is a link it works for anti-aliasing http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

Incompatible with steam or fraps.

Hmmmmmm........

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri August 14, 2020 12:37 AM 282 ms.
A Halo Maps Website