A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Is there around tag size limit?

Author Topic: Is there around tag size limit? (30 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Spiral

I hope i'm out of the way

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 09:21 PM    Msg. 1 of 30       
Is there a why to get pass this?
besides using less tags

culling uncompressed structure bsp vertices...done
culling uncompressed model animation data...done
building predicted resources for structures...done
structure bsp 'levels\test\helpme\please' is 3.69M
tag headers and names are 0.23M
streaming model vertex and index buffers...done
streaming tags.............................done
writing vertex and index buffers...done 11.06M
writing tags...done (2981 tags for 10.02M)
total tag size is 13.71M (9.29M free)
cache file 23.06M too large (should be 128.00M but was 151.06M)
### FAILED TO BUILD CACHE FILE.

Cache pack file bitmaps hits: 566 for 25.79M
Cache pack file bitmaps adds/misses: 602 for 108.49M
Cache pack file sounds hits: 416 for 7.09M
Cache pack file sounds adds/misses: 800 for 18.27M
Cache pack file loc hits: 103 for 0.22M
Cache pack file loc adds/misses: 1 for 0.00M

milkkookie

:)

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 09:26 PM    Msg. 2 of 30       
*link removed by admin**
tool_pro build-cache-file levels\example

Edited by milkkookie on Jun 22, 2011 at 09:27 PM
Edited by Dennis on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:27 PM

UBE Chief

Raising the bar, one kill at a time.

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 09:30 PM    Msg. 3 of 30       
I think it's been mentioned enough times in several topics, but I'll tell you.

tool_pro

It's not hosted here, so you'll have to Google it for a download. tool_pro bypasses the 128Mb cache file limit, but I highly suggest that you do not use it for every map you make.

I, for one, have only used it twice, and both of the maps that I made using tool_pro are in the Adjutant Map Pack (AoTCR and Whiteout). Even so, it was for a very small gain (about 5Mb extra space needed).

Use it, and see if anything odd happens with your ~23Mb gain - like random exceptions and whatnot. Please note that I have not had any issues with tool_pro, but caution is still advised.

E: FFFFFFFUUUUUUU MILKKOOKIE, I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FIRST! >:U
Edited by UBE Chief on Jun 22, 2011 at 09:31 PM

Spiral

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 09:36 PM    Msg. 4 of 30       
I won't use this for evil

UBE Chief

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 10:31 PM    Msg. 5 of 30       
We know, but I'm just saying be careful - Halo doesn't like maps that are over the cache file limit...

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 11:28 PM    Msg. 6 of 30       
This is why we don;t host or allow links to that utility:

Scanner results : 3% Scanner(s) (2/37) found malware!
13229 2011-06-23 PUA.Packed.Thinstall2425

milkkookie

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 01:03 AM    Msg. 7 of 30       
don't let dennis scare you, i downloaded that file from the same site, about 1 year ago and my pc is perfect.
Edited by milkkookie on Jun 23, 2011 at 01:03 AM

Pepzee

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 01:15 AM    Msg. 8 of 30       
Wait, what?

Is tool_pro itself malware, or was there malware in the folder that contained tool_pro?

Further more, why wouldn't you host tool pro? Isn't it just a hacked version of tool? You have tool++, isn't that a hacked version of tool?

Further more, what is the difference between tool++ and tool_pro, don't they do the same thing anyway?

I feel like I have questions for everything...

YakZSmelk

- Environment Artist - robhow.com

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 01:18 AM    Msg. 9 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: pepzee
Further more, what is the difference between tool++ and tool_pro, don't they do the same thing anyway?
I feel like I have questions for everything...

I always thought that tool++ was just a GUI for tool.

cyboryxmen

--CG artist-- New mission. Refuse this Mission!

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 01:49 AM    Msg. 10 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: milkkookie

don't let dennis scare you, i downloaded that file from the same site, about 1 year ago and my pc is perfect.
Edited by milkkookie on Jun 23, 2011 at 01:03 AM

Malware ain't a virus so it doesn't actually corrupt your computer. It's used to take a peek at your passwords and stuff without your permission. Scan your computer for malicious activities and change your password. Don't want some jealous girl to hack your Facebook account and ruin your relationship with that girl who plays halo.
-Zekilk

Slap Happy

Life ain't fair, buy a helmet.

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 02:30 PM    Msg. 11 of 30       
Yes- it does harm/corrupt your computer. This particular one will install a google search result click hijacker, which 90% of people will not be able to un-install or get rid of. It also will set your default search engine to some other site. Example: you do to google, and search for movie theatres, and the results displayed are google search results, but when you click the link, you are taken to another search engine that begins searching for your entry.

Tool_pro will also, more often than not, cause your map to exception for players at random intervals when hosted on a dedicated server - and claims from those that use it who don't believe it, aren't willing to admit the problem exists since it hasn't happened to them.

Granted, there may be variants of the program by the same name which may not have that issue.

I would only try that program if "they" can give you both the infected one, and the un-infected one, then scan both for malware, and viruses. Only use the version given to you by someone who has used it themselves, and has a map that was compiled using it. There have been many nerd joker/elitists that have used it successfully then given a corrupted version to others, claiming it was safe.

Wesker

Your Future Hinges upon This Fight!!!

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 04:29 PM    Msg. 12 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: Slap Happy
Yes- it does harm/corrupt your computer. This particular one will install a google search result click hijacker, which 90% of people will not be able to un-install or get rid of. It also will set your default search engine to some other site. Example: you do to google, and search for movie theatres, and the results displayed are google search results, but when you click the link, you are taken to another search engine that begins searching for your entry.

Tool_pro will also, more often than not, cause your map to exception for players at random intervals when hosted on a dedicated server - and claims from those that use it who don't believe it, aren't willing to admit the problem exists since it hasn't happened to them.

Granted, there may be variants of the program by the same name which may not have that issue.

I would only try that program if "they" can give you both the infected one, and the un-infected one, then scan both for malware, and viruses. Only use the version given to you by someone who has used it themselves, and has a map that was compiled using it. There have been many nerd joker/elitists that have used it successfully then given a corrupted version to others, claiming it was safe.

i had this and dealt with this several times the virus has been around long enough to be learnt to be dealt with in a way easily
i saved an article somewhere for future reference of need
oh shoots its in firefox xD im using chrome

UBE Chief

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 05:26 PM    Msg. 13 of 30       
Interesting, because, as I said earlier, I have used tool_pro without any ill effects, including malware. As for maps exceptioning, go and download my Adjutant Map Pack, host a server with AoTCR or Whiteout and ask players if they exception in them.

I also use Google, and any searches I conduct provide me with the same results as before I installed/used tool_pro.

Nonetheless, anyone should take caution when using any program.

I will be happy to upload my version to prove you wrong.

Dennis

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 08:56 PM    Msg. 14 of 30       
Is tool_pro itself malware,
All the versions that have been uploaded or we have downloaded have been flagged as malware.

Further more, why wouldn't you host tool pro?
See the answer above.
Quote: --- Original message by: milkkookie

don't let dennis scare you,
You can all do what you want. Load anything you want on your PC install every virus you want I care not, however, we won't host files that have been proven to be or have malware. All I can say is that if you don't want to take advantage of my 36 years of experience working with small/personal computers (only because they didn't exist before then) starting with the Altar 8800 that is fine by me and so sad for you. Most of you didn't exist when I was fighting the first virus infections to appear in the mid 80's so I am sure you have a better grasp on the issue than I do especially since you are unencumbered with all that bothersome experience that tends to alter your judgment on such things.

Most malware is nearly undetectable to the PC's they are installed on because it can sit dormant waiting for a trigger to do what it is designed for such as botnets, SMTP proxies, or simple keyscans looking for credit card/bank numbers. The one that was flagged is a Win32 downloader so I repeat "We won't host files that have been proven to be or have malware."
Edited by Dennis on Jun 23, 2011 at 09:26 PM

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 09:54 PM    Msg. 15 of 30       
I'm with Dennis, my pc has been broken TWICE due to carelessness with downloads, and I'd hate for it to happen to anbyone else because some forty year old fatty mama's boy with no life likes to inflict pain on his fellow nerds for enjoyment but is to lazy to pop in a copy of Gears 2 so he screws up peoples pcs with viruses and other unfavorables instead.

Google search will NEVER be my friend for modding software
Edited by Delicon20 on Jun 23, 2011 at 09:55 PM

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 09:55 PM    Msg. 16 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
All I can say is that if you don't want to take advantage of my 36 years of experience working with small/personal computers (only because they didn't exist before then).

You are one old old man. I had originally, couple of years back decided you were early 40's. Now you seem to be half a century or more.
Edited by Cocaine on Jun 23, 2011 at 09:55 PM

Dennis

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 10:36 PM    Msg. 17 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: Cocaine
You are one old old man.
Tell me about it

milkkookie

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 10:44 PM    Msg. 18 of 30       

]You can all do what you want. Load anything you want on your PC install every virus you want I care not, however, we won't host files that have been proven to be or have malware. All I can say is that if you don't want to take advantage of my 36 years of experience working with small/personal computers (only because they didn't exist before then) starting with the Altair 8800 that is fine by me and so sad for you. Most of you didn't exist when I was fighting the first virus infections to appear in the mid 80's so I am sure you have a better grasp on the issue than I do especially since you are unencumbered with all that bothersome experience that tends to alter your judgment on such things.

Most malware is nearly undetectable to the PC's they are installed on because it can sit dormant waiting for a trigger to do what it is designed for such as botnets, SMTP proxies, or simple keyscans looking for credit card/bank numbers. The one that was flagged is a Win32 downloader so I repeat "We won't host files that have been proven to be or have malware."
Edited by Dennis on Jun 23, 2011 at 09:26 PM

ftfy

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 10:51 PM    Msg. 19 of 30       
Hipster Dennis has been fighting Malware since before it was cool.

Spiral

Posted: Jun 24, 2011 12:34 AM    Msg. 20 of 30       
fine, I won't use it or download it at all then, geez lots of disputes
Edited by spiral on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Jun 24, 2011 12:51 AM    Msg. 21 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: spiral

fine, I won't use it or download it at all then, geez lots of disputes
Edited by spiral on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:34 AM

just give your tagset and scenario to some other poor sap with tool pro and have him compile it for you and then send the map file back to you

Spiral

Posted: Jun 24, 2011 01:09 AM    Msg. 22 of 30       
Its fine I got rid of some stuff

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jun 24, 2011 01:20 AM    Msg. 23 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: spiral
Its fine I got rid of some stuff

Easiest way to go. End of story. Unless you've got UBE Chief's scenario.

cyboryxmen

--CG artist-- New mission. Refuse this Mission!

Posted: Jun 24, 2011 04:22 AM    Msg. 24 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: Cocaine

All I can say is that if you don't want to take advantage of my 36 years of experience working with small/personal computers (only because they didn't exist before then).

You are one old old man. I had originally, couple of years back decided you were early 40's. Now you seem to be half a century or more.
Edited by Cocaine on Jun 23, 2011 at 09:55 PM

He's in his mid-60s. Not really surprising. I have lots of grandfathers in their 90s.
-Zekilk

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Jun 24, 2011 05:00 AM    Msg. 25 of 30       
This question has been posed before, nope, there's proper no way around the tagsize limit. There's a reason why its put into place. Firstly, the tagsize limit of 128mb only seems to be applicable to multiplayer maps, I've seen singleplayer maps that are over 180mb in size but compile perfectly well in standard tool. And if you plan to have over 128mb of tags in multiplayer then I urge you to reconsider what you're trying to do.

But aside from that, from what I understand of tool_pro or any other variant of tool that allows you to compile above the limit, is it doesn't actively allow levels over the tagsize limit, whether sp or mp, to be playable within the game limits; halo will exception soon into the game because it can't handle it. The only use for tool_pro, malware aside, is to open up the map in HEK+ to weed out redundant tags and the like.

Dennis

Posted: Jun 24, 2011 04:08 PM    Msg. 26 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: cyboryxmen
He's in his mid-60s. Not really surprising.
Yea, but no.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 12:08 PM    Msg. 27 of 30       
or you guys could just learn the simplest commands and use cmd

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 12:15 PM    Msg. 28 of 30       
Not tool++. We're talking tool_pro all up in this.
Comment kinda made you seem like an ass, just helping.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 07:17 PM    Msg. 29 of 30       
Took_pro is not malware to the best of my knowledge, although I don't doubt it may show up as Malware to scanners.

took_pro will help you compile the map, but if it is SP upon loading the largest/larger bsps you will exception out of the game. I always used it as a diagnostic tool to see what unnecessary tags were being compiled into a map.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jun 27, 2011 09:19 AM    Msg. 30 of 30       
Adding in a BSP switch isn't always easy, depending on what stage of development a map is in, or if it's a map that requires child scenarios. plus you can only have 15 or 16 bsps.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri November 15, 2019 9:46 PM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website