A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »how to improve ce graphics

Author Topic: how to improve ce graphics (29 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 04:38 AM    Msg. 1 of 29       
Quote: Posted by: Zetren
Halo PC was ported in 2003 to the PC, and had the graphics quality and potential of Crysis for its time. Now, in 2011 they are falling behind a fair bit so I thought I would make this guide to enhance the graphics and bring more life back to Halo.

Some of you probably know most of these tweaks, thats good for you. If anyone here knows any other graphics tweaks please reply the details and I will be glad to put them up!

Some tweaks (Espically the Anisotropic filtering one) will put a heavy strain on your PC if it's a few years old. Apply Tweaks at your own risk! Make Backups!

Sorry for my lack of knowlage about ATI, I don't know the ATI equivalent of some of these steps but they are pretty straitforward anyway.

WARNING! This guide was intended for use with high(er) end graphic cards. Anything from a 8-series-and-up GeForce should do the trick. If you are already getting and preformance issues with halo, THIS WILL MAKE IT WORSE.

Update you graphics card drivers

Although not really a tweak, it is indeed an absolute essential. Update yours to the latest before we begin.

Make NVIDIA Control Panel recognize Halo CE (haloce.exe)

By default, Nvidia does not recognize the EXE of halo CE, this means any custom set options in the "Manage 3D" tab will not apply to Halo CE. To enable, go to the "Manage 3D" tab, Click "Program Settings" and finaly click "Add", then find your halo CE EXE

This is needed for the Anisotropic Filtering tweak.

Enable Anisotropic Filtering

Anisiotropic filtering basically improves the quality of further away textures, this tweak is definatly the most benefical out of them all, if you have a fairly good GPU (graphics card) I strongly sugest enabling it.

01.Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo\config.txt" or "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo\config.txt"

02.Scroll on through and change any instances of "//UseAnisotropicFilter" to "UseAnisotropicFilter"

03.(Optional) Open you graphics card control panel, Nvidia users right click on desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel". Select "Manage 3D settings", select Halo or haloce.exe, and force Anisotropic Filtering to x16 for best quallity.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=35242876&postRepeater1-p=1#35947824

Active camo fix

Halo PC and CE both do not render the "glassy cammo effect" seen in Halo Xbox properly if you are using an NVIDIA card, the fix is simple and straightforward. Im doing this at the moment and it looks great.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=60814Active Cammo fix for NVIDIA users

When you done with this fix, delete you old halo desktop shortcuts(don't worry about any custom res made) and create new shortcuts (fix enabled) with the DX tweaker.

You can add the custom resolution parameters again in the "Arguments" field of DX tweaker by adding" -vidmode xxxx,xxxx,xx". (i.e " -vidmode width,height,refresh rate")

With the new shortcuts made, right click on the new shortcut and apply the halo icon from the default halo folder.

NOTE: ATI users don't need to apply this fix!

Force Halo to run at your native resolution

If you have followed my cammo fix instructions above then you're set to go with a custom resolution. If you didn't apply the fix then:

01. Right click on your Halo PC/CE shortcut.
02. In the "target" line, put in this " -vidmode xxxx,xxxx,xx" i.e. " -vidmode width,height,refresh rate" remember to put in the space!

There should not be any "black bars" at the side of the screen now.

Make sure Halo is running at Pixel Shader v2.1

The highest version of pixel shader halo supports is 2.1. To make sure you are using this version and getting all of the jucy graphics, follow my instruction above for getting a custom resolution; except this time add " -use21" to the end of your shortcut or through Dx Tweaker in the Arguments field

Thanks to Dr Syx and Btcc22 for this,

Halo Antialaising

Yes, it is indeed possible but only for certain owners of ATI cards. Here's the details

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?22562-Anti-Aliasing-In-my-Halo-It-s-more-likely-than-you-think!-%28ATI-5-amp-6-series-only%29 Halo AA for lucky ATI users</a>

I also heard that it is possible to enable Supersampling AA for halo on any graphics card using the DX tweaker, although I'm still to find a tutorial. If anyone knows how i'll add it as soon as possible.

Fix Halo's FOV (Field of View)

Halo's default FOV is 70 degrees, which is 20 below the average of 90 degrees. This makes everything feel zoomed and very uncomfortable, especially for people using widescreen monitors. The fix is simple and these programs work with the latest version (v1.09) of Halo PC and CE.

http://www.widescreenfixer.org Halo PC v1.09 FOV Fixer
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?20618-Skys-The-Limit-1.09 Halo CE v1.09 FOV Fixer</a>

When you download both of these programs, empty the folder contents into your halo PC/CE directory and run. Make sure you put the FOV refresh to 1 milisecond in the "settings" tab for instant zoom with the halo PC FOV fixer.

Place a shortcut of the fov fixers beside your halo shortcut, or put a shortcut in the startup forlder for autorun at startup
Quote:

Force Halo to run at 60fps

By default, Halo runs at a fixed 30fps so it would match the Xbox versions and make it capable to play on an old CRT TV(I think). With 30fps enabled, halo creates a kind of "artificial lag" in order to slow it down to 30fps. To enable 60, go to Halo's video settings and make sure "Framerate" is set to "VSYNC". Simple, I know, but a common mistake!

Hope you enjoy. Remember, if you know of any other graphics tweaks please post here or PM me.

Here are other guides out there;

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/291594-halo-combat-evolved/faqs/26388
http://www.tweakguides.com/Halo_1.html
http://halo.bungie.org/misc/halopcperformancefaq.html

Edited by Hydrogen on Jun 30, 2011 at 04:40 AM
Edited by Hydrogen on Jun 30, 2011 at 05:50 AM
Edited by Hydrogen on Jun 30, 2011 at 06:18 PM
Edited by Hydrogen on Jun 30, 2011 at 06:21 PM

Wesker

Your Future Hinges upon This Fight!!!

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 04:51 AM    Msg. 2 of 29       
awesome quotes all in one article about how to make your halo run at your computer's limit

though i was hoping this was related to modding xD

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 05:51 AM    Msg. 3 of 29       
fixed the modacity ones sorry about that

Wesker

Your Future Hinges upon This Fight!!!

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 06:23 AM    Msg. 4 of 29       
change your screen resolution first i think right click on desktop propertise then that tab with settings

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 03:31 PM    Msg. 5 of 29       
I don't think you can go above 1600x900 (which is the highest it lets me set in Halo itself).

My monitor is 1920x1080, but when I try to change it to that it isn't working. Maybe I'm doing something wrong:
-vidmode 1920,1080,60

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 03:45 PM    Msg. 6 of 29       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODX
I don't think you can go above 1600x900 (which is the highest it lets me set in Halo itself).

My monitor is 1920x1080, but when I try to change it to that it isn't working. Maybe I'm doing something wrong:
-vidmode 1920,1080,60

Thats what I have set up and it works completley fine.

ahmedhalo

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 04:17 PM    Msg. 7 of 29       
i cant see only white color can u help me with this ? i had 64 sis mirage

GoldeNTacO

Stout Shako for 2 Refined

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 05:52 PM    Msg. 8 of 29       
Quote: --- Original message by: ahmedhalo
i cant see only white color can u help me with this ? i had 64 sis mirage
You either have intergrated graphics or your GPU is outdated. Buying a new GPU will fix it. You don't need a $200 GPU to run Halo, I have a Radeon HD 4650 and that's more than enough.

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 06:29 PM    Msg. 9 of 29       
all links should be fixed now.

XboxHavic

-Modder- -Gamer-

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 07:03 PM    Msg. 10 of 29       
-nvm-
Edited by XboxHavic on Jun 30, 2011 at 07:04 PM

Sergeant 1337

Do you even lift?

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 07:08 PM    Msg. 11 of 29       
Graphics tweak....?

Halo runs on maximum settings for me and it runs smooth too. It's not like the graphics are supposed to be amazing at full settings, they look the same either way.

ahmedhalo

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 07:20 PM    Msg. 12 of 29       
i dont have money i can make princ of prisa with out lag and cant see the colors of the players in halo should be some thing wrong

GoldeNTacO

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 07:56 PM    Msg. 13 of 29       
i dont have money i can make princ of prisa with out lag and cant see the colors of the players in halo should be some thing wrong
What do you have for a video card? Are your drivers up to date?

ahmedhalo

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 08:32 PM    Msg. 14 of 29       
ya its max

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Jul 1, 2011 01:05 AM    Msg. 15 of 29       
I don't think the 64 sis mirage is supported by Halo's engine, as it only supports the major graphics cards, but I think most unsupported cards work, so maybe it's your OS. What operating system do you have?

ahmedhalo

Posted: Jul 1, 2011 02:21 PM    Msg. 16 of 29       
what is OS

Jaz

Posted: Jul 1, 2011 02:41 PM    Msg. 17 of 29       
what is OS

Operating System e.g Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu, Mac OSX Leopard, Windows Vista...

UBE Chief

Raising the bar, one kill at a time.

Posted: Jul 1, 2011 02:45 PM    Msg. 18 of 29       
Quote: --- Original message by: Garagorn888
what is OS

Operating System e.g Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu, Mac OSX Leopard, Windows Vista...
God help you if you own the last one...

milkkookie

:)

Posted: Jul 1, 2011 03:31 PM    Msg. 19 of 29       
why does everyone repeat what most people say. i had no problem with windows vista home premium, it looked good it worked great and i never had any problems. with windows 7 i had to do a system restore after one month of use, for some reason all my drivers got deleted. no internet no audio and very low res.. screen. :(, its all good now.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jul 1, 2011 06:13 PM    Msg. 20 of 29       
Quote: Posted by: Zetren
Active camo fix

Halo PC and CE both do not render the "glassy cammo effect" seen in Halo Xbox properly if you are using an NVIDIA card, the fix is simple and straightforward. Im doing this at the moment and it looks great.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=60814Active Cammo fix for NVIDIA users

When you done with this fix, delete you old halo desktop shortcuts(don't worry about any custom res made) and create new shortcuts (fix enabled) with the DX tweaker.

You can add the custom resolution parameters again in the "Arguments" field of DX tweaker by adding" -vidmode xxxx,xxxx,xx". (i.e " -vidmode width,height,refresh rate")

With the new shortcuts made, right click on the new shortcut and apply the halo icon from the default halo folder.

NOTE: ATI users don't need to apply this fix!

Is it possible to run this through Xfire?

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Jul 1, 2011 07:26 PM    Msg. 21 of 29       
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6016/zomfgwtfbbq.jpg

ummm wtf do I keep getting this error for the active camo fix?

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jul 1, 2011 07:28 PM    Msg. 22 of 29       
lol that happened to me... Dunno why though...

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Jul 1, 2011 08:22 PM    Msg. 23 of 29       
well this is making me frikkin mad I've tried everything and I still get that damn error!WTF!?!

Co1t3r

Posted: Jul 1, 2011 10:19 PM    Msg. 24 of 29       
Yelo does the same stuff as that DXTweaker thing and more.
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=37156
Look for the post by Dwood.

GoldeNTacO

Posted: Jul 1, 2011 10:30 PM    Msg. 25 of 29       
These tools don't seem to work with Windows 7.

milkkookie

:)

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 12:29 AM    Msg. 26 of 29       
they worked fine for me.

ahmedhalo

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 03:57 AM    Msg. 27 of 29       
my os is xp sp2

Jaz

Posted: Jul 27, 2011 03:40 PM    Msg. 28 of 29       
my os is xp sp2

Maybe be a little late to post this, but anyway, xp should work fine, so there's probably some problem with your cpu or gpu. You should search for solutions for both(And don't just search for Halo solutions. Do a wide search for various games to see if any other games have the same problem with your cpu/gpu).

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Jul 27, 2011 05:54 PM    Msg. 29 of 29       
my os is xp sp2

You need to upgrade to xp sp3

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue October 22, 2019 4:09 AM 281 ms.
A Halo Maps Website