A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »FP legs suggestion. widget

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: FP legs suggestion. widget (39 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

grunt_eater

Everything except biped rigging.

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 10:07 AM    Msg. 1 of 39       
OK so in the past i have noticed that all of the fp legs are vehicles. this is very limited because you cannot melee, pick up new weapons, pick up ammo for your current weapons, ect ect. in this video you can see that he has made moving crosshairs by making them a widget see-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yR0KpCz4a0
now my question is, would it be possible to make fp legs this way?. As i said it is just a suggestion and i just wan't opinions on it.
Edited by grunt_eater on Jul 14, 2011 at 08:47 AM

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 10:20 AM    Msg. 2 of 39       
No, the crosshair blooms works because of first person animation overlays. First person animations can't be used for first person legs, as first person legs are only seen below you.

032 Mendicant Bias

Magnum periculum est elit.

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 10:42 AM    Msg. 3 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: grunt_eater
OK so in the past i have noticed that all of the fp legs are vehicles. this is very limited because you cannot melee, pick up new weapons, pick up ammo for your current weapons

Tell that to CAD.

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 11:04 AM    Msg. 4 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: 032 Mendicant Bias
OK so in the past i have noticed that all of the fp legs are vehicles. this is very limited because you cannot melee, pick up new weapons, pick up ammo for your current weapons

Tell that to CAD.
I think I missed something. Have these fp legs been released, or has anyone else made them yet?
No?

Diaboy

A self-fulfilling prophecy of endless possibility

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 11:28 AM    Msg. 5 of 39       
I was convinced that Cereal Killer knew how to do it? There was some mention of first person cutscenes where you would be able to see your own body and such, I think he covered the gist of it then. I think it was CK, at least.

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 12:35 PM    Msg. 6 of 39       
CAD: "the fp legs go off the concept of the a10 cyrotube model (where you can view your body) where the superhigh lod is only visible before an extremely tight cutoff. the rest of the lods are blank geometries. (basically ive confirmed to you that it isnt actually part of the fp model, as well as potentially improved some of the cheap knockoffs that you people are undoubtedly making)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZEfS9nBvhw
Edited by ODX on Jul 2, 2011 at 12:35 PM

grunt_eater

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 01:10 PM    Msg. 7 of 39       
I'd seen that video but heard that it wasn't going to be released. I do not plan on making a "Cheap knockoff" only trying to make fp legs somehow. I have an idea for a campaign and in one of the levels i think that kicking down a door would make it more fun and feel more badass, thus improving the overall gameplay of the map. And i think that having your legs in the cutscene and not in the actual playing portion of the game would be confusing. Plus having legs would make the map a little more original and different. that's the reason i want it. making it, however, is more of the challenge

Wesker

Your Future Hinges upon This Fight!!!

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 07:05 PM    Msg. 8 of 39       
I'd seen that video but heard that it wasn't going to be released. I do not plan on making a "Cheap knockoff" only trying to make fp legs somehow. I have an idea for a campaign and in one of the levels i think that kicking down a door would make it more fun and feel more badass, thus improving the overall gameplay of the map. And i think that having your legs in the cutscene and not in the actual playing portion of the game would be confusing. Plus having legs would make the map a little more original and different. that's the reason i want it. making it, however, is more of the challenge

cant you redecorate breakable glass to look like a door and give it crashing wood sounds when you melee it? *add some dust maybe?*

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 07:15 PM    Msg. 9 of 39       
OK so in the past i have noticed that all of the fp legs are vehicles.

Wow, someones actually used a vehicle? I feel bad for them.

Wesker

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 07:54 PM    Msg. 10 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422

most of the fp legs i see on youtube or in thread are said to be done by using the vehicle method
great kirby o: you should enlighten the community with your genius methods

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 08:22 PM    Msg. 11 of 39       
object_attach is what I believe CAD used in his.

kirby_422

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 08:28 PM    Msg. 12 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: Wesker

most of the fp legs i see on youtube or in thread are said to be done by using the vehicle method
great kirby o: you should enlighten the community with your genius methods

I dont get why anyone would use a vehicle though.. vehicles can flip, can't correctly jump (you can put function blocks in to imitate it, but your still flailing around in air) aswell as flattening anyone they run into.

Anyways, you do realize that the seat block in vehicles is part of the subcatagory, UNIT, right? Can you name one far more reasonable tag type that is a UNIT for this? exactly. biped. Why in the world would you use a vehicle when a biped is also a UNIT?... biped is what your aiming for in the first place, why would you want to deal with making a vehicle act like a biped?... obviously you should feel bad for someone who wants to use a vehicle when they could use a biped.

Anyways, at this point, you can pick two paths. Weather your entering a biped, or weather a biped is entering you. If you enter a biped, alot of your actions will require to be scripted to pass the effects on like weapon switching and crouching. If a biped enters you, you'll need a startup script to track which player is your own, and it wont be quite as visually accurate without additional work; in my tests I never bothered setting up the entering bipeds FP and just used the player arms, because im lazy like that.
Player riding Biped: http://www.xfire.com/video/10ee58/
Biped riding Player: http://www.xfire.com/video/48ea1e/
Neither of those methods is finished, because I really don't care enough. If I was to choose, I'd keep the biped riding player, aswell as the way it is, because that was entertaining. Finished product is more MP friendly anyways.

The Cereal Killer

Scripts, AI, cutscenes, ui_widgets, animation.

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 09:58 PM    Msg. 13 of 39       
My method was only for cutscenes, I never set it up for use in-gameplay. I consider in-gameplay FP legs a gimmick, I usually steer clear of that sort of thing.

cyboryxmen

--CG artist-- New mission. Refuse this Mission!

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 02:37 AM    Msg. 14 of 39       
Anyways, at this point, you can pick two paths. Weather your entering a biped, or weather a biped is entering you. If you enter a biped, alot of your actions will require to be scripted to pass the effects on like weapon switching and crouching. If a biped enters you, you'll need a startup script to track which player is your own, and it wont be quite as visually accurate without additional work; in my tests I never bothered setting up the entering bipeds FP and just used the player arms, because im lazy like that.
Neither of those methods is finished, because I really don't care enough. If I was to choose, I'd keep the biped riding player, aswell as the way it is, because that was entertaining. Finished product is more MP friendly anyways.

I could take a whack at it. Could you give me a sample of both scripts?
-Zekilk
Edited by cyboryxmen on Jul 3, 2011 at 02:38 AM

grunt_eater

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 08:02 AM    Msg. 15 of 39       

cant you redecorate breakable glass to look like a door and give it crashing wood sounds when you melee it? *add some dust maybe?*

I'm talking about in a cutscene.The door will be a vehicle and it will be set up so that when you get within a trigger volume it will be knocked down, not completely destroyed like the glass. I don't want it to shatter and fall apart i wan't it to fly across the room and fall over, like a spartan kicked it in. and even if i took your suggestion i would still need the legs in the fp view

kirby_422

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 01:09 PM    Msg. 16 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: cyboryxmen

I could take a whack at it. Could you give me a sample of both scripts?
-Zekilk

Biped Riding Player
(script static "unit" player0
(unit (list_get (players) 0))
)
(script startup magic
(set cheat_deathless_player 1)
(sleep 30)
(camera_control 1)
(vehicle_load_magic (player0) "driver" camped)
(camera_set_first_person camped)
)
(script continuous loopz
(ai_attach camped camai)
(ai_look_at_object camped (player0))
)

For this one to work, your driver seat has to be a decent distance behind the biped, camera marker in the head, attached to the head bone. With this setup, where ever your characters head turns, your camera will. With default MC animations, you cant look at your legs without a vehicle though. instead, you may want to attach a object to your gun, and have him look at that instead, etc. For it to work for MP, you either need to keep deathless on so you never have to reset the camera (you can teleport them back to spawn points and strip weapons when they should be dead fine), or inplement a queing scheme in the respawn so that only one person can respawn at a time so you can track who you are (ive explained how you would write a script like this in another thread)
(script static "unit" player0
(unit (list_get (players) 0))
)
(script startup magic
(set cheat_deathless_player 1)
(sleep 30)
(vehicle_load_magic camped "driver" (player0))
)
(script continuous crouch
(if (unit_get_current_flashlight_state camped) (unit_set_seat camped "crouch") (unit_set_seat camped "stand"))
)

This one is fairly useless in MP. see that crouch continuous script? you need to make if's for all actions basically. Flashlight is the only MP trackable action. (player_action_test_action) you'd use that and 2 bipeds attached to you to see if they can see any weapons to pickup (and they'd have to be SP .weapons and not item_collections. not MP friendly at all. they must have names, so if you want them to pick up dropped enemy weapons, you'd have to remove the real weapon they drop and send a named one when they have died) this would also be used to see if your beside a vehicle. by each seat, you'd have to attach a object so you could control what seat to get into, rather than it just seeing a vehicle and trying to guess what seat.

So, that should basically account for the two videos.

cyboryxmen

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 11:05 PM    Msg. 17 of 39       
Here's an idea. Lets use the "biped riding player" script and use Mr Camped to replace the player. The player will still be the one holding the weapon and Mr Camped will be disarmed. Finally, with the help of a queuing system, it should be good to go.

One question though, if camera_set_first_person was used, is it possible for the player to see the hud of Mr camped?
-Zekilk

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 11:21 PM    Msg. 18 of 39       
No, camera_set_first_person is just kinda like the camera looking out of the face of the unit.

Wesker

Posted: Jul 4, 2011 12:38 AM    Msg. 19 of 39       

I'm talking about in a cutscene.The door will be a vehicle and it will be set up so that when you get within a trigger volume it will be knocked down, not completely destroyed like the glass. I don't want it to shatter and fall apart i wan't it to fly across the room and fall over, like a spartan kicked it in. and even if i took your suggestion i would still need the legs in the fp view

I think that if its a wood door. a spartan would kick and punch holes and smash it opened and if it was a steel door, a couple of knocks will make dents and break the lock and it'll swing open and if it was a covenant or forerunner door, it'll be in a way broken(like in the first level of ce) or blasted through
if it was a cutscene can't it be animated? but not in a fps way

speaking of the first level isnt there a door in the maw level where you have to melee it to open it? i cant remember
Edited by Wesker on Jul 4, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jul 4, 2011 01:02 AM    Msg. 20 of 39       
speaking of the first level isnt there a door in the maw level where you have to melee it to open it? i cant remember

There is.

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Jul 4, 2011 02:05 AM    Msg. 21 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: spartan314

There is.

That's a device_machine. There is a flag in device_machine tags that says "opened by melee" which is what's used on the first level.

Wesker

Posted: Jul 4, 2011 02:20 AM    Msg. 22 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Cereal Killer
Quote: --- Original message by: spartan314

There is.

That's a device_machine. There is a flag in device_machine tags that says "opened by melee" which is what's used on the first level.

hmm i like xD

kirby_422

Posted: Jul 4, 2011 12:59 PM    Msg. 23 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: cyboryxmen
Here's an idea. Lets use the "biped riding player" script and use Mr Camped to replace the player. The player will still be the one holding the weapon and Mr Camped will be disarmed. Finally, with the help of a queuing system, it should be good to go.

One question though, if camera_set_first_person was used, is it possible for the player to see the hud of Mr camped?
-Zekilk

Can you re-write that in english?.. camped replacing player is the other script, player riding biped..

Anyways, in that warthog video, you can see camped has no weapon. So in all reality, all your saying is add what I already told you to add for respawning......

And just loaded up random map, devmoded hud commands, couldnt get any hud to show up when the camera location has been altered; oh well, just toss function blocks and have textures on the players arm to show him stats.

grunt_eater

Posted: Jul 12, 2011 11:15 PM    Msg. 24 of 39       

I think that if its a wood door. a spartan would kick and punch holes and smash it opened and if it was a steel door, a couple of knocks will make dents and break the lock and it'll swing open and if it was a covenant or forerunner door, it'll be in a way broken(like in the first level of ce) or blasted through
if it was a cutscene can't it be animated? but not in a fps way

Edited by Wesker on Jul 4, 2011 at 12:40 AM

3 things.
1. I really don't want the door destroyed. it will be metal and it will be dented so much that it will be bent into a cone shape. Basically it will be a destructible vehicle and when you enter the trigger volume it will be destroyed and a bent up one will be spawned and thrown across the room using precision damage effects
2. The cutscene will be short and first person like in the beginning of the silent cartographer
3. Your not a spartan per say. I'm not giving away my map idea but i will say that your stronger then the average human. And you do have cybernetic upgrades. And you are artificial intelligence enabled. That's all i'm going to say about it.

I really want some cool fp stuff that i'm sure we could do. Like some quick fp assassinations like in, and i know everyone is going to flame me for saying this, but like in cod blackopps. I think we can make ce way better then bungie did, mostly by just a texture mod

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Jul 13, 2011 12:41 AM    Msg. 25 of 39       
1. The method I described allows a melee to trigger the "opening" animation for a device_machine. That is to say, you could bend the door to look however you like.

2. That was after the cutscene, it was just the player with letterbox overlayed. You could even move the camera around.

3. Ok.

I've got first-person assassination cutscenes already constructed and working perfectly. Do you know what I'm waiting on? Same thing I told you before, overdraw. Kornman's newest HEK unlocks many rasterizer commands for in-game use that were previously available only in Sapien. Guess what that means - the engine global (rasterizer_draw_first_person_weapon_first [boolean]) can finally be set to false. Further explanation? FP hands can animate and interact with the environment for once.

cyboryxmen

Posted: Jul 13, 2011 09:13 AM    Msg. 26 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Cereal Killer
Kornman's newest HEK unlocks many rasterizer commands for in-game use that were previously available only in Sapien. Guess what that means:

the engine global (rasterizer_draw_first_person_weapon_first [boolean]) can finally be set to false. Further explanation? FP hands can animate and interact with the environment for once.

...go on.
-Zekilk

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Jul 13, 2011 04:36 PM    Msg. 27 of 39       
There isn't much else to say :P

Diaboy

A self-fulfilling prophecy of endless possibility

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 12:49 PM    Msg. 28 of 39       
CK, do you mean V2? Slightly off topic here but I ask because I'm finding it horrendously buggy. It keeps crashing for no given reason and if I make changes to tags by only changing a drop down panel, it doesn't recognize me as having done anything so I have to edit a number field to make it allow me to save...

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 12:57 PM    Msg. 29 of 39       
What I forgot to say was that "Kornman's newest HEK" has yet to be released. OS_HEK is on its way and should be here in not too long. I didn't realize no one knew about it, I'll start a thread...

Masters1337

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 03:01 PM    Msg. 30 of 39       
heh, we've recreated CADs fp legs, but thers numerous problems with the system he used,. If you noticed there is a lot of stuff in the video he didn't show.
Edited by Masters1337 on Jul 14, 2011 at 03:11 PM

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 04:26 PM    Msg. 31 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: ASP GRUNTS
But would there be a way of making it so that you could see a child?
If there were a way to do that, it would render this whole process unnecessary.

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
heh, we've recreated CADs fp legs, but thers numerous problems with the system he used,. If you noticed there is a lot of stuff in the video he didn't show.
The main issue I noticed with his is that they seem to be too close to the camera, especially during jumps.

The Cereal Killer

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 04:50 PM    Msg. 32 of 39       
There's no way to, no.

kirby_422

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 09:34 PM    Msg. 33 of 39       
Man, things like this are why I hate effort. You spend effort, you get crappy results. You be a lazy ass, you get great results
http://www.xfire.com/video/4a55ab/

Oh, the great lessons of life HCE teaches you.. a hate of effort :P

Masters1337

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 09:39 PM    Msg. 34 of 39       
Man, things like this are why I hate effort. You spend effort, you get crappy results. You be a lazy ass, you get great results
http://www.xfire.com/video/4a55ab/

Oh, the great lessons of life HCE teaches you.. a hate of effort :P
That's based off what we did recreating CADs efforts earlier, we got some more fixes for this that should make it even better, especially since we have our own biped.
Edited by Masters1337 on Jul 14, 2011 at 09:51 PM

kirby_422

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 09:44 PM    Msg. 35 of 39       
lol, point arrow expecting it to be pointing to previous post, get new page for post. That's why you normally quote things (as i'm not quoting your post and your probably in the middle of editing it while I talk to people on xfire)

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri May 29, 2020 10:36 PM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website