A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »I can't open Halo because of the maps i downloaded?!

Author Topic: I can't open Halo because of the maps i downloaded?! (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

blueberry002

Posted: Jul 8, 2011 09:12 AM    Msg. 1 of 6       
So I got halo like a week ago and it was really fun, so i decidd to get new maps that i heard about. I got mystic and chronopolis and beach assault. I put them im my maps folder and extracted them and put the .map file with all the others, but when I open halo, it comes up with this error that says theres missing or corrupt files for all of them. What am I doing wrong? I renamed them and took out the underscores to make it look nicer... is that why it doesn't work?

teh lag

Posted: Jul 8, 2011 09:17 AM    Msg. 2 of 6       
Quote: I renamed them and took out the underscores to make it look nicer... is that why it doesn't work?

Yeah probably. Don't rename .map files, Halo doesn't like that.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jul 8, 2011 02:36 PM    Msg. 3 of 6       
Quote: --- Original message by: blueberry002
I renamed them and took out the underscores to make it look nicer... is that why it doesn't work?
There is a checksum embedded in the map file at creation/compile time and part of that checksum is the file name. When Halo CE opens it checks the actual calculated checksum with the embedded checksum and if they are different then the program throws an exception. You can't rename the files because of this. Halo CE also uses this checksum to determine if the maps on the client are the same as the one on the server.

blueberry002

Posted: Jul 10, 2011 04:01 PM    Msg. 4 of 6       
Oh ok yeah I redownloaded them and they work fine now. Thanks!

Nickster5000

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 03:35 AM    Msg. 5 of 6       
Lesson learned mate: DONT RENAME EXISTING .MAP FILES!!!

:)

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 05:54 AM    Msg. 6 of 6       
you can change the name of the map files in around 10 seconds and they will still work ingame, but you don't just simply rename it.i won't go into to detail as this would be a little unfair towards the map makers.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu December 5, 2019 6:12 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website