A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista General Discussion »Single Player Maps

Author Topic: Single Player Maps (13 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

andrewsypang

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 12:38 PM    Msg. 1 of 13       
Hey everyone,
I'm an avid gamer, but sadly not really a modder. Nonetheless, I have always been very grateful for the people on Halo Custom Edition who created single player custom maps; as my internet is always very slow, I am never able to play online and hence can burn so much frustration playing these single player maps.

I've glanced through the file list and the forum topics, but I could not find a topic that talks about single player maps for Halo 2. I'm saying "glanced" meaning I was probably too stupid to find the forum topic >.< anyways, is anyone starting a project out there that will make custom single player maps for Halo 2? Cuz that would be super awesome.

-DJPangsta

Oh yeah and as a side note, I am going to make music for video games in the future, so if anyone needs any and would like to hear some, send me an email =)

antiblood

Hail satan, smoke mehth

Posted: Aug 9, 2011 11:09 PM    Msg. 2 of 13       
last i checked you cant make h2v sp maps due to the locked HEK. i could be wrong though but im pretty sure thats the reason why.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Aug 9, 2011 11:19 PM    Msg. 3 of 13       
tool gives you an error if you try to compile anything thats not MP (SP, ui, shared, SP shared) and AI will not spawn in the MP game engine. Closest you can get is simulating AI by jolting objects, checking if they got closer to a player or not, and sliding around based on that.
http://www.xfire.com/video/4bac9d/
You moving confuses them since they may think they got closer, or further, and move the wrong way. This is useful though, because it can simulate you chasing them away, and you never know if they are gonna turn around and take you down.

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 02:04 AM    Msg. 4 of 13       
We do not have the proper tools but someday we probably will.

In the meantime; we are building up most of the source files that would go into a campaign map; custom weapons, custom vehicles, BSPs, new effects, new scripts, etc.

H2MT's goal is to share that source with anyone interested, so even if its not us it could just as well be someone later down the line using our source and tutorials as a base.

Twinreaper

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 05:36 PM    Msg. 5 of 13       
Just to chime in real quick, I am currently looking into getting any mp map recognized as a sp map. I won't go into too much detail about the specifics of getting it to work but rest assured that once I complete my initial testing, you should be able to overwrite any of the existing sp maps with brand new edited ones. The only catch will be that the maps will always have to have the same map names as the original ones. That plus the enormous file size each one will likely be since everything used for said maps will not be shared data between it and the resource map files.

andrewsypang

Posted: Aug 20, 2011 02:58 AM    Msg. 6 of 13       
So what I get from all this is that the engine has almost been made completely from scratch when going from Halo 1 to Halo 2, and therefore since it detects differently modders are having problems trying to create maps like this? Or maybe I just confused myself...

Twinreaper thanks for the update. Keep me posted on how it goes =)

evilpineapples

Posted: Aug 20, 2011 12:13 PM    Msg. 7 of 13       
The main problem is the HEK, which in some ways is simpler to use, but actually prevents modders from doing a lot of things they can do in CE.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Aug 20, 2011 12:46 PM    Msg. 8 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: evilpineapples
The main problem is the HEK, which in some ways is simpler to use, but actually prevents modders from doing a lot of things they can do in CE.

The HEK is a big problem, but not the biggest. Its the fact the game is designed to hide and disable your map if you do anything unique in it. Even if we had a perfect HEK, people wouldn't be able to easily play them. To get maps in that are locked out, you either need a DLL hack, or the main menu mod. And for your SP maps, your gonna need to make another main menu hack with SP map slots, because again, the game is more at fault. You cannot use the map_name command like HCE to load a map, because there is no devmode.

At the moment, we can do most things with the HEK itself. The problems we encounter are things that would have to be ran through tool (collision, physics, animations, SP, etc) The problems come when you try and use these maps with the game.

Twinreaper

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 04:52 PM    Msg. 9 of 13       
Ok guys, total bummer. I used my usual methods to compare data between maps labeled as sp and mp. My results ended up in the sp map having 10 different hexadecimal changes. These changes are scattered throughout the map file, and there seems to be no definite pattern or way to go about replicating it in any other map. I also did this same thing to various other maps, and they had changes, but no pattern or same characters could be found.

It is my firm belief, that the main menu itself houses the individual referrence data when it comes to maps being amrked as sp or mp. This means that because I changed these maps without the MM being loaded, that is why I see all this new 10 sections of data changing in the map. It loaded the actual map with the referrence data instead of the MM. This poses a big problem, as we cannot change map types in the HEK we have now. I am still looking into things as we speak, so whoknows what might happen.

andrewsypang

Posted: Aug 25, 2011 06:16 PM    Msg. 10 of 13       
Alright, so at least the problem is identified. This has given me quite a bit to think about and relay to my modder friends who are too lazy to create a forum account.

Now I'm just curious if any of you know who's looking into this right now? Because I got my friends working on it, but they can only do so much. If you can ask around if people can do this, it'll be great! I'm hoping that there are more people besides my friends and I that are interested in something like this =)

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Aug 25, 2011 08:02 PM    Msg. 11 of 13       
Have you tried going the other way and adapting existing SP maps into MP?

I know Shock120 made interesting progress with his attempts at H2V co-op. I wonder, if a SP map could be set to MP, and then how the AI and such could be utilized.

andrewsypang

Posted: Sep 11, 2011 10:55 PM    Msg. 12 of 13       
Any updates? I'm just curious as to how things are coming along on your guys' ends

Twinreaper

Posted: Sep 12, 2011 05:34 PM    Msg. 13 of 13       
Well, I did find out how to change a mp map to a sp map thru hex editing, but unfortunately even though I can change the map type, it will lack the required tags to run as a sp map. Certain key tags have to be included into the compiled map and the raw tags for those have to be present in the scenario file before compiling. Unless Korn puts up some effort or takes on helping one of us get compiling of other map types working, we may never see any fruitful ventures on H2PC.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue September 17, 2019 3:26 AM 344 ms.
A Halo Maps Website