A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Bluestreak JMS exporter - can it perform faster?

Author Topic: Bluestreak JMS exporter - can it perform faster? (34 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Gravemind

The Age of Reclamation has begun.

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 01:09 AM    Msg. 1 of 34       
I have 3ds max 2010, so I use the Bluestreak script instead of Blitzkreig. Having used Blitzkreig, I know it exports very fast (but doesn't export rig). When I use Bluestreak, it takes 10 minutes just to export an oddball model. Is there anything I can do to make it export faster? I've tried editing the script and making it disable scene redraw, and disable undo, but it didn't make any noticeable difference. I also tried unckecking "export rig" and even removing the skin, but that didn't help either. How can I make it go faster?

Gravemind

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 04:44 AM    Msg. 2 of 34       
theres only 1128 verticies, i know thats a lot for an oddball, but for other things it would be normal.

Gravemind

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 05:43 AM    Msg. 3 of 34       
sad face.

Gravemind

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 06:34 AM    Msg. 4 of 34       
thats what i do, it was 10mins just sitting at the JMS script window :/
i have 4gb of ram and my CPU is running at 3GHz (single core) so it should be a bit faster than that, right?
Edited by Gravemind on Aug 22, 2011 at 06:35 AM

Gravemind

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 06:42 AM    Msg. 5 of 34       
aha! i knew there was something weird going on... im using version 1.0.3 of the script if that makes a difference. would it make any difference how my viewport is set out or how the model is set up? if you want, i can upload the model and you can try it yourself

Gravemind

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 06:48 AM    Msg. 6 of 34       
only modifiers are "editable mesh" for the meshes, "sphere" for the markers and "bone" for the bones. and it only has one material. also, i heard smoothing groups slow it down, but even when i removed them it took forever

edit: oh and skin modifier for rigged parts
Edited by Gravemind on Aug 22, 2011 at 06:56 AM

Ro0ster

is a rooster

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 09:40 AM    Msg. 7 of 34       
Which version do you have? There is one by bobsam that exports MUCH faster.

Edit: It's called JMS_Exporter_v1-0-3b
Edited by Ro0ster on Aug 22, 2011 at 09:40 AM

Gravemind

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 09:42 AM    Msg. 8 of 34       
heyyyy thats what i called my custom one as well :P
can you get me a link? the one i have is the normal 1.0.3

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 12:09 PM    Msg. 9 of 34       
There is no, Normal 1.0.3. version, there is ONLY ONE 1.0.3 version and that's the same as the bobsam "1.0.3b".

Is this a custom model? If it is a rip, weld your verts. It should not take that long at all.

bobbysoon

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 04:12 PM    Msg. 10 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ro0ster
There is one by bobsam that exports MUCH faster.

I didn't see any such googling - do you mean bobbysoon? I found a way to export faster to gmax, replacing some newline chars with tabs (I had called it that - JMS_Exporter_v1-0-3b.ms)
There are optimizations to be made in bluestreak still. There's a few places it uses arrays where it's not necessary. Maxscript's arrays are dynamic. Setting a[n] will allocate n if needed, which will take time. When a[n] is used in the same context it was defined, and nowhere else, it doesn't need to be an array.
If you're going to edit it, I suggest getting Notepad++. Very helpful features, and there's a maxscript language definition you can get for it here
Edited by bobbysoon on Aug 22, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Gravemind

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 07:34 PM    Msg. 11 of 34       
normally i just use the maxscript editor for editing, but that npp plugin sounds good :D
and ill take a look at your JMS exporter this afternoon when i get home

Quote: --- Original message by: XlzQwerty1
There is no, Normal 1.0.3. version, there is ONLY ONE 1.0.3 version and that's the same as the bobsam "1.0.3b".

is it "bobsam" or "bobbysoon"? and if its the same, wouldnt they both export the same speed?

Is this a custom model? If it is a rip, weld your verts. It should not take that long at all.

its the halo3 oddball, and iirc, last time i welded the verts it screwed the UV. but even without welded verts, shouldnt 1128 verts export MUCH faster than 10mins?

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 07:41 PM    Msg. 12 of 34       
I have the halo 3 oddball exported. You MUST weld verts to ALL rips, or it takes forever. Its like if you don't weld it, jms exporter has got to go through all of the vertecies that are not in a smoothing group, every single one of them, and may possibly even take 30 minutes to export (more than 24 hours for a h3 pelican unwelded). Plus, if you do not weld your verts, there are smoothing issues ingame and any cubemaps being used will have bad reflections.

Gravemind

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 07:44 PM    Msg. 13 of 34       
okidoki, ill do that when i get home

bobbysoon

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 11:55 PM    Msg. 14 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: Gravemind
ill take a look at your JMS exporter this afternoon when i get home
The relevant bit, exporting to gmax faster, is in the format statements at the end. I replaced some \n with \t.
Pretty sure something can be done with materials to speed things up too.

Gravemind

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 02:24 AM    Msg. 15 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: bobbysoon
ill take a look at your JMS exporter this afternoon when i get home
The relevant bit, exporting to gmax faster, is in the format statements at the end. I replaced some \n with \t.
Pretty sure something can be done with materials to speed things up too.

i just realized, its not the actual writing part that takes so long for me, the file writes in like 3 seconds. somewhere earlier in the script is what takes up the time, probably in the sorting and stuff

I have the halo 3 oddball exported. You MUST weld verts to ALL rips, or it takes forever. Its like if you don't weld it, jms exporter has got to go through all of the vertecies that are not in a smoothing group, every single one of them, and may possibly even take 30 minutes to export (more than 24 hours for a h3 pelican unwelded). Plus, if you do not weld your verts, there are smoothing issues ingame and any cubemaps being used will have bad reflections.

well i welded, and it exported in like 3 seconds, so yea i guess ill have to do that every time lol

EDIT: also just realized why i didnt weld before - it messes the rig and gives me the "some verts weighted by more than one bone" error
Edited by Gravemind on Aug 23, 2011 at 02:42 AM

bobbysoon

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 07:51 PM    Msg. 16 of 34       
EDIT: also just realized why i didnt weld before - it messes the rig and gives me the "some verts weighted by more than one bone" error
Edited by Gravemind on Aug 23, 2011 at 02:42 AM
The oddball doesn't need a skin, unless you're doing a Loony Tunes version. For example, the Warthog only needs a skin for the chaingun ammo belt. The rest, suspension, wheels, etc., can be animatable as seperate meshes linked to the apropriate nodes
Edited by bobbysoon on Aug 23, 2011 at 07:56 PM

Gravemind

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 09:54 PM    Msg. 17 of 34       
i didnt mean the oddball, i meant like bipeds. i tested the welding on the odst model and the smoothing went all weird (which i dont think matters for export) and the rig was changed. it gave me the "some verts are weighted by more than one node" warning. how will this affect the model ingame?

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Aug 24, 2011 01:31 AM    Msg. 18 of 34       
Odd how you (Gravemind) experience long export times. I exported the oddball once with modifiers, materials and smoothing and it literally only took me a second. Halo 3 rips also export unwelded within 2 seconds. My PC is 6 years old and has only seen one measly upgrade since I bought it. One GB RAM 3ghz intel 4.

Gravemind

Posted: Aug 24, 2011 01:49 AM    Msg. 19 of 34       
thats what really stumps me, i really have no idea why everyone else can export in a flash, but it takes me forever. heres my specs:
AMD Sempron @ 3GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM @ 433MHz
Windows 7 SP1
3DS Max 2010
JMS script v1.0.3

and heres the specs on my gfx card: http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8400.html
does ANYONE know what aspect of hardware or software causes it to export SO slow?

bobbysoon

Posted: Aug 24, 2011 03:23 AM    Msg. 20 of 34       
i didnt mean the oddball, i meant like bipeds. i tested the welding on the odst model and the smoothing went all weird (which i dont think matters for export) and the rig was changed. it gave me the "some verts are weighted by more than one node" warning. how will this affect the model ingame?
In the skin modifier's advanced parameters rollout, set bone affect limit to 2. Bluestreak will allow you to export otherwise, but the rig won't deform right. Bluestreak ignores bone affects beyond the 2nd it finds per skin vert

Gravemind

Posted: Aug 24, 2011 04:25 AM    Msg. 21 of 34       
thanks, ill have to remember that :D

D0ubl3 HeLiX

- Environment Artist -

Posted: Aug 29, 2011 11:55 PM    Msg. 22 of 34       
I've been having the same issue as well. It takes BlueStreak an immeasurable amount of time to export my BSPs from Max. I'm currently using 2011 but I also had this problem on 2010 so I'm not sure what's going on there. My previous solution was to export from 3ds Max and import it into 3ds Max 9 and use the blitzkrieg exporter, but obviously that introduces geometry errors and is a colossal pain in the neck. Terrible work flow as well. BlueStreak has never been able to export a full BSP from Max for me, and even with smaller models it takes many minutes. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here? I click "Export JMS Data" and it makes Max hang immediately. Am I alone with this problem?
Edited by D0ubl3 HeLiX on Aug 30, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Gravemind

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 02:05 AM    Msg. 23 of 34       
If your exporting bsps, use chimp, as its bsp specific. I used chimp when I made a bsp, and it worked just fine.

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 10:08 AM    Msg. 24 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: D0ubl3 HeLiX

I've been having the same issue as well. It takes BlueStreak an immeasurable amount of time to export my BSPs from Max. I'm currently using 2011 but I also had this problem on 2010 so I'm not sure what's going on there. My previous solution was to export from 3ds Max and import it into 3ds Max 9 and use the blitzkrieg exporter, but obviously that introduces geometry errors and is a colossal pain in the neck. Terrible work flow as well. BlueStreak has never been able to export a full BSP from Max for me, and even with smaller models it takes many minutes. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here? I click "Export JMS Data" and it makes Max hang immediately. Am I alone with this problem?
Edited by D0ubl3 HeLiX on Aug 30, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Weld your vertices.
Don't click anything between pressing the export button and the save window popping up or you can freeze max.

D0ubl3 HeLiX

- Environment Artist -

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 11:06 AM    Msg. 25 of 34       
Verts are definitely welded correctly. There are still over 16,000 of them, but that's how it has to be. Interestingly enough, I started export last night, Max proceeded to hang so I just hit hibernate. I woke it up this morning and it was done? Very strange...maybe it finished right before I hit it, or maybe I'm on to something? I haven't ran the geometry through tool yet though, so who knows if it's even valid.

bobbysoon

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 01:19 PM    Msg. 26 of 34       
It may be possible to speed things up by reducing on-the-fly garbage collecting. I noticed it continuously collects garbage while exporting. If you haven't noticed the status bar flickering "MXS gc" while exporting, try executing "options.showGCStatus= true" in the mini-listener (lower left text box, white, not pink).

D0ubl3 HeLiX

- Environment Artist -

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 04:09 PM    Msg. 27 of 34       
I tried that, I still see the MXS gc while saving, but I managed to export in under 6 minutes! Hurray! Apparently that did the trick, or something else that I have done. I don't know but thanks for your help!

bobbysoon

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 12:13 AM    Msg. 28 of 34       
I'm pretty sure it was only a coincidence.
Increasing maxscript's heap size in preferences might help. Also, executing "gc()" in the minilistener to manually garbage collect everything before exporting may help too.

Sprinkle

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 12:33 AM    Msg. 29 of 34       
There is nothing wrong with the script, it is simply because maxscript itself is slow. The script needs to be interpreted as it runs therefore it takes longer than say something written in C++. It's general knowledge, there is nothing you can do that will improve the time it takes.

Note: It doesn't matter if the vertices are welded or not, the JMS format is a dump of all the triangle's vertices. When you export a box to JMS there is always going to be 36 vertices exported no matter how the box is formed in max. It's tool's job to create an efficient model.
Edited by Sprinkle on Aug 31, 2011 at 12:35 AM

bobbysoon

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 06:39 AM    Msg. 30 of 34       
Try this: v104c
Pre-sets array sizes for face and vert data that gets formatted to output. Before, it'd expand those array sizes on-the-fly. I think it's a little faster now.

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 08:44 AM    Msg. 31 of 34       
New version of Bluestreak?

Cheddars

Rave to the Grave.

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 11:45 AM    Msg. 32 of 34       
theres only 1128 verticies, i know thats a lot for an oddball, but for other things it would be normal.

Only.....

D0ubl3 HeLiX

- Environment Artist -

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 04:46 PM    Msg. 33 of 34       
Hmm..the script seems to be running better for me at least.

One major problem though...
It throws the error:
---------------------------
MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception
-- Unable to convert: undefined to type: String
OK

and highlights line 863 which is:
pushPrompt ("Saving "+dataPath+"...")

Edit: I commented out that line to see if it would continue just fine, and success! 2 minutes and 4 seconds for 30,988 triangles. Not too bad I suppose! Now for getting those pesky .wrl's into 64bit 3ds Max?
Edited by D0ubl3 HeLiX on Aug 31, 2011 at 06:04 PM

bobbysoon

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 07:32 PM    Msg. 34 of 34       
JmsExporter104d.mzp
Error fixed, and commented out export time message at the end.

talk to me about wrls in 64bit 3ds in my wrl thread. I needs moar info.
Edited by bobbysoon on Sep 3, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed February 26, 2020 3:01 PM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website