A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »A New Kind of Swamp

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: A New Kind of Swamp (53 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Slap Happy

Life ain't fair, buy a helmet.

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 03:40 AM    Msg. 1 of 53       
Re-textured about 30 plants, created custom flying dandelion seed weather particles, and dandelion seed flowers detail objects, etc etc etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw-2R29iaIo

d4rfnader

Open mouth, insert sandwhich.

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 03:46 AM    Msg. 2 of 53       
purdy.

olly12345

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 04:10 AM    Msg. 3 of 53       
Looks delicious! some look a little bit too bright for a swamp that doesn't get a huge amount of light, it looks like coral at the moment.

Slap Happy

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 04:14 AM    Msg. 4 of 53       
thanks - but I haven't run lightmaps yet nor balanced some of the plant permu's brightness. I will probably get someone who can do that better than me. But, the typical swamp was also too dark in my opinion. Once the contrast has been balanced - who knows.

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 05:23 AM    Msg. 5 of 53       
Love the atmosphere in that map Slap Happy!
Will you be featuring a hidden salami in the map though?

Cheddars

Rave to the Grave.

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 07:07 AM    Msg. 6 of 53       
Love the jizing bush lmao. The sounds are awesome it makes it really creepy like a floods gonna jump up and lick the crap out of you lol

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 08:14 AM    Msg. 7 of 53       
not enough green imo, but I still love it, have you thought of making some of the plants emit light or glow?

Slap Happy

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 12:21 AM    Msg. 8 of 53       

Delicon20

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 12:36 AM    Msg. 9 of 53       
can we expect a release?

Slap Happy

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 03:11 AM    Msg. 10 of 53       
In about a week . . . just messin with gametypes, weapon placement, etc. will beta test with a couple race clans, then if no problem, release. I still think the thunder is too loud. I am compiling with tool pro as its currently 140mb.

Ubergoober

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 05:39 AM    Msg. 11 of 53       
this looks awesome Slap happy, i was wondering what had happened to ur race map, now i can see that u've been busy! it would b awesome to have little animals or critters, say the size of a cat, running randomly throughout the map.
i hope u release 2 versions, one with geese n one with choppers.
what kinda weaps u gonna have in it?
Edited by Ubergoober on Sep 4, 2011 at 05:40 AM

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 02:36 PM    Msg. 12 of 53       
Very cool.

Delicon20

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 04:50 PM    Msg. 13 of 53       
this will be unprotected, right? cause I'm really looking forward to being able to use that sky and the swamp plants

SeL

https://twitter.com/FalldogStudio

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 06:33 PM    Msg. 14 of 53       
It's like you made them spawn as a random colour when you place them, it doesn't look good at all, there's no pattern, there doesn't appear to be any thought to their placement, you just have a bunch of plants with random colours thrown around willy nilly in a pure green backdrop.

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 06:42 PM    Msg. 15 of 53       
An interesting idea would be to make the ground bitmap feature fluorescent veigns in it, would really tie the whole fluo thing together imo. Nice job so far, it's got a very avatar-y feeling.

SeL

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 07:10 PM    Msg. 16 of 53       
Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates
An interesting idea would be to make the ground bitmap feature fluorescent veigns in it, would really tie the whole fluo thing together imo. Nice job so far, it's got a very avatar-y feeling.

This, however the big problem is the colour palette, you've thrown in whatever you wanted, and haven't put much thought into it.

A restricted colour palette isn't necessarily a bad thing, you can make something bright and colourful with a few colours, just as long as they complement each other nicely.

For instance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuz0-IF1MAk&feature=related

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.Ē ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 09:54 PM    Msg. 17 of 53       
Very very nice.

Ubergoober

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 04:50 AM    Msg. 18 of 53       
some veins running along the ground sounds like a cool idea, i think its nice as it stands though, im not sure what sel was trying to show in that utube clip.....

Delicon20

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 11:03 AM    Msg. 19 of 53       
Quote: --- Original message by: SeL
It's like you made them spawn as a random colour when you place them, it doesn't look good at all, there's no pattern, there doesn't appear to be any thought to their placement, you just have a bunch of plants with random colours thrown around willy nilly in a pure green backdrop.

you ever been to a swamp? they're not very organized

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 11:08 AM    Msg. 20 of 53       
Quote: --- Original message by: Delicon20

idk, the swamps by me a pretty organized. the whats-their-name goes out like 3 feet into puddles and such, stops like a foot into the sludge, green all over the sludge, with a few small plants evenly distributed, with a nice moss set on areas that are wet, yet decently above the puddle level. The ones by where I live are pretty organized to the sludge and puddle layout lol.

SeL

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 01:15 PM    Msg. 21 of 53       

Is this a joke?

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 01:32 PM    Msg. 22 of 53       

But they aren't rainbow colored. Slappy, your plants are very cool, but they look to me like they belong in a rain forest, not a swamp. I think if you made the plants more of a darker green and lowered the glowing a little bit you could make them fit more with the rest of the swamp.

Spiral

I hope i'm out of the way

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 01:39 PM    Msg. 23 of 53       
This reminds me of star war's planet felucia

Delicon20

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 01:51 PM    Msg. 24 of 53       

Is this a joke?

I could ask you the same question

swamps aren't supposed to be an organized grouping of plants and trees and water, it's supposed to look like sloppy vegetation and foliage that would be nearly impenetrable, especially if it were a swamp on a long dormant alien planet.

IDK where you're from, but in the swamps around my area we don't have certain plants grouped together in certain areas a certain distance from others not intertwining with other vegetation. It's completely sloppy, different plants all over mixing with other plants growing wherever they can manage to fit in. And I'd imagine a distant alien world would be worse than a local Indiana swamp. So the idea of having a pattern in plant placement in a swamp imo is really quite stupid.

Also why wouldn't the plants be colored something other than green? green is SO realistic. I think his plants are better and more...artsy, than the green plants

SeL

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 02:18 PM    Msg. 25 of 53       

Yes because the purpose of art is to mimic real life exactly, and put no artistic thought whatsoever in, and think of how to make it look better.

Just

please

stop

Bobblehob

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 02:32 PM    Msg. 26 of 53       
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/selentic/Emotes/lmao.gif

Yes because the purpose of art is to mimic real life exactly, and put no artistic thought whatsoever in, and think of how to make it look better.

Just

please

stop

What is your problem? He has a valid point, the swamps around my area are not organized either.

Slap Happy

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 03:07 PM    Msg. 27 of 53       
Being the punk that I am, I am stupid enough, arrogant enough & brilliant enough to know what I like, and to make it that way. While I say I am open for feedback, I am not really, I am looking for:

- Mistakes I did not intend
- Good ideas that I did not consider
- Different perspectives from other peoples point of view

I will then choose from the feedback what I consider to like.

While Sel says "No effort whatsoever" - that's his perspective. I have seen his map, and he pays high attention to detail and symmetry, in a very organized manner. Even though it doesn't occur to him that when you play CTF, and the flag appears to be hovering over a shaft, giving the player the initial impression they will have to fall to their death to grab the flag - it still is very organized and proper in his view. Even though I suggest he put a cryo frost mask on that area so it is not completely transparent, I can understand that he must have a reason even though it's not easily transparent to me (oh very punny).

If I was to say he put "No effort whatsoever" in addressing that transparency illusion, he does so because it makes sense to him. So, when I view his feedback, what I see is from his perspective that "organized" means "recognizable purpose and symmetry" which he does not see in the placement of plants, that I accept as helpful feedback. I am much older than you squirts, so I am a bit more tolerant, he did not offend me.

Currently there is a huge amount of plants, but I am also considering frame rate and game play. So, part of my design purpose is to NOT make it completely like a jungle swamp which is hard to penetrate. My gametype of choice is race, so ingress and egress in all vehicles, chopper, ghost, mongoose & warthog must be accomodated to allow a variety of drive paths, in addition to CTF and Slayer. 99% of weapons will be covenant - and I would like the "cover" to be organic, not structure/shields/barricades - so yes, there will be disorganization on it's face, but there is intention to it.

Mostly, I want it to be appealing - and most beauty is very very symmetrical. I do LOVE the idea of glowing/pulsing veins on the ground, I would need to remask the alpha and redo the shaders. I do want the plants to emit light, but not to the point that they emit a dynamic light, or even stand out.

What this map needs is more cowbell. (Google "More cowbell").

SeL

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 03:55 PM    Msg. 28 of 53       
The only instances of someone saying "No effort whatsoever" in this thread is the post you just made, I suggest you re-read my posts since you obviously missed what I was saying entirely.

Delicon20

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 06:03 PM    Msg. 29 of 53       

Just

please

stop

I addressed two different subjects in my post, one being object placement, the other being that I like the plants not being all green. Only when I addressed the plant colors did I mention anything related to art.

I understand you believe you saw an opening to "own" me but please next time don't get my post mixed up. There is line spacing in between my posts for I reason I'd prefer you not ignore them.

Slap Happy

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 07:22 PM    Msg. 30 of 53       

Help - I would like to remove the gametype icon from the hud even if it means placing a transparent replacement. Instead of hunting for it, I thought I'd ask first. My guess is unit hud . . .

Edited by Slap Happy on Sep 5, 2011 at 07:23 PM

SeL

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 07:40 PM    Msg. 31 of 53       

Just

please

stop

I addressed two different subjects in my post, one being object placement, the other being that I like the plants not being all green. Only when I addressed the plant colors did I mention anything related to art.

I understand you believe you saw an opening to "own" me but please next time don't get my post mixed up. There is line spacing in between my posts for I reason I'd prefer you not ignore them.

Re read my first posts over and over and over again until you understand them, because you obviously just do not get it.

doompig444

MorniŽ alantiŽ

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 07:45 PM    Msg. 32 of 53       
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to till and plow the fertile soil into even rows before planting the swamp plant seeds, to get that well-maintenanced, overgrown swampy look.

Ubergoober

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 09:19 PM    Msg. 33 of 53       
sel, let it go, its over, release ur map already, we're waiting to play it

slap happy, it looks great, i think veins would look awesome but they could look bad if they were too bright or distracting from the rest of the map. maybe if they glowed, went dull momentarily and glowed again or if a light ran along the vein, from tree to tree.
Edited by Ubergoober on Sep 5, 2011 at 09:24 PM

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 10:57 PM    Msg. 34 of 53       
Quote: --- Original message by: Slap Happy

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y348/Nervebooger/wherewhat.jpg

Help - I would like to remove the gametype icon from the hud even if it means placing a transparent replacement. Instead of hunting for it, I thought I'd ask first. My guess is unit hud . . .

Edited by Slap Happy on Sep 5, 2011 at 07:23 PM

Technically it's in the Unit_hud_interface, but you can't access that section even with the hacked Guerilla.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2479

Download that and replace your tags\ui\shell folder with the one in the download, that will get rid of the gametype icons.

Slap Happy

Posted: Sep 13, 2011 09:19 PM    Msg. 35 of 53       
just creative license . . .

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun January 19, 2020 4:18 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website