A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »Crater ODST Beta Release Map

Author Topic: Crater ODST Beta Release Map (25 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Twinreaper

Posted: Oct 5, 2011 12:42 PM    Msg. 1 of 25       
Hoping you folks around here will be kind enough to test this beta version out for me. Give me feedback on the layout, where you think weapons should go, etc....

File is called Crater_ODST_Beta_v3.rar

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=3e553768043b2519#!/?cid=3e553768043b2519&sc=documents&uc=1&id=3E553768043B2519%21342

mtm14

its fun to win no matter the cost

Posted: Oct 5, 2011 09:58 PM    Msg. 2 of 25       
Dude ill test it probbly wont get to it till friday maaby tommarow

Twinreaper

Posted: Oct 6, 2011 09:32 AM    Msg. 3 of 25       
Any testing at any time will help. I want this map to be a great standalone multiplayer map as well as a future firefight map. Don't forget to leave feedback when your done.

The_Arbiter

I feel like having scotch

Posted: Oct 6, 2011 09:37 AM    Msg. 4 of 25       
i will test but i will have to test alone i have mobile broadband so can't verse anyone

Petera275

Some things just don't work...

Posted: Oct 9, 2011 08:28 AM    Msg. 5 of 25       
I'll test.

Arr, I be Mr Glitch Finder numero uno.

----

Ok

-Nice job on in-gaming. Textures are ok, but need revision. Same goes for uvw unwrapping.
-New skybox pl0x
-Suitable tags can be found on Mombosa maps for more authenticy
-You can use a warthog turret to replace the where the h3 one should be at the top of the stairs at the front
-There are two triangle shapes missing on the floor at the top, which, if stepped on, activate a kill trigger which then proceeds to make hell with the following ragdoll physics.
- The spartan laser cannot be seen in FP, nor be fired or overheat or melee in any view. I suggest looking at the sandtrap v3 tags
- I like the BR zoom on the silenced SMG and pistol. Keep this.
-Nice weapon tagset. The chosen grav hammer is one of my faves in H2V in terms of animations and projectile effects
-The gauss cannon has a glitch when, if equipped, the reticule will not disappear even when changing to the second weapon
-There are some "paper-thin" walls due to the origin of the model
-(This has never been fixed) The silenced smg fires bullets, as the impact can be seen on any object or person. But. There is nothing seen to come out of the barrel.
-A laser sight is available for the silenced SMG. Possible usage?
-The area near where the turret should be, in addition to the kill trigger, shows no roof for the below level when looked at from above, yet there is clearly a solid roof when looked at from below.
-There are various model discrepancies in the stated area.
-The view of the grav hammer in FP is kinda wierd

I hope this helps
Edited by Petera275 on Oct 9, 2011 at 09:45 AM

Twinreaper

Posted: Oct 10, 2011 04:38 PM    Msg. 6 of 25       
It helps a lot actually. most of what you have is some stuff I was aware of. I think I uploaded the wrong version to you guys, because in the version I meant to put up, those pesky triangles causing kill triggers were fixed, as well as the uvw issues. I have so many beta files floating around sometimes I just forget to label them right. Anyway about the weapons...I don't usually do wepaons work. I usually leave that to the rest of my team, so some of the wepaon dependency path's are not on my physical HDD, so when the map gets compiled it is missing things like FP models and stuff. Sorry about that.

I will be using a new sky ripped directly from ODST, but that is the last thing that will be worked on. I will go back through the map and fix a few additional things up and try to post up a new dl for this with many fixes. Keep the feedback coming guys!!

Oh before I forget, making a physical bullet come from the smg is an easy fix. All it requires is for you to edit the proj tag to include an actual model. More than likely I can just point it to the br bullets. We'll see how it looks i guess?
Edited by Twinreaper on Oct 10, 2011 at 04:41 PM

Petera275

Posted: Oct 10, 2011 04:53 PM    Msg. 7 of 25       
Cool. Glad I was able to help. Thanks for allowing public beta testing, I am more than happy to test any beta maps.

Well, good luck with your future endeavours. Live long and prosper. _\\//

Muscl3r

dont pray 4 easy lives...pray to be STRONGER MEN

Posted: Dec 15, 2011 06:03 PM    Msg. 8 of 25       
What do you mean future firefight map? CE?

Twinreaper

Posted: Dec 19, 2011 08:10 AM    Msg. 9 of 25       
What I meant was future Firefight maps in halo 2. kant and Kirby made some great progress with getting AI to function properly in multiplayer maps. That on top of Kirby's amazing scripting skills would have lead the way for Firefight type map play. This map was just supposed to double as agreat ODST port. Sadly though, Halo 2 is dying quicker than I anticipated and I have all but stopped working on it.

Most of the map is complete with spawns and the nine yards, but there is a lot I still wanted to include or fix up. If anyone remaining in the H2MT cares for me to continue work on it I will....but I need a solid confirmation of support from the team.

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Dec 19, 2011 11:35 AM    Msg. 10 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: Twinreaper
If anyone remaining in the H2MT cares for me.
I care about you...
Check pm's :)

Petera275

Posted: Dec 20, 2011 12:31 PM    Msg. 11 of 25       
StatutoryTrOy is nice.

And even if I'm not part of H2MT and am basically useless when it comes to Halo modding, I care!

Zenzarxus

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 07:40 AM    Msg. 12 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: Twinreaper
Most of the map is complete with spawns and the nine yards, but there is a lot I still wanted to include or fix up. If anyone remaining in the H2MT cares for me to continue work on it I will....but I need a solid confirmation of support from the team.

Luister boet. This is precisely why this game is dying. Everytime there is a breakthrough, the creator decides they don't want to release it/stops working on it. Firefight for Halo 2 is a great idea. Please continue work on it.

Edited by Zenzarxus on Dec 29, 2011 at 07:43 AM

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 07:16 PM    Msg. 13 of 25       
Thats about as far from the truth as you can get; H2MT have released every major new discovery we have made to the public. In Twin's case he is busy with life, he does what he can when he can.

-Over 50 new custom weapons

-New vehicles

-New tutorials

-New scripts

-New lighting techniques

-New shadow techniques

-New effects

-Recreated literally thousands of tags

-More BSPs then we can use

-MMM: MainMenu Mod

-D3D9.DLL Mod

-Streamlined the editing process

-Improved/Extended H2EK tools

-Updated Gravemind to 1.6B

-First Real Time Editor for H2V: Ambiguous Alpha

-The first SP, Co-op, Hybrid maps

-AI tests and research

-Creation of new Shared, MainMenu, and SPShared maps

-Provide four 24-hour custom servers for the last two years

The list goes on, but you should get the idea already.

Zenzarxus

Posted: Dec 30, 2011 05:08 AM    Msg. 14 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kills_Alone
Thats about as far from the truth as you can get; H2MT have released every major new discovery we have made to the public.

That's you. What about Shock120's Co-op campaign. Big thing. Never released. You are pretty much the only modding team out there for Halo 2. Although that was actually released by someone else much later on. Then again, I don't know why Halo 2 is unpopular now. It's was crippled back in the day by the fact you needed vista, the most buggy OS to date imo. But now pretty much everyone has either vista or 7 anyway. Yes the maps aren't great, but look, you have syncing ai, you have better netcode in general, you have more customization, you have GFWL, which, in my opinion, is actually more useful than people make it out to be. So many good tools with different possibilities, and yet people continue to pirate and play default maps on Halo CE.
Edited by Zenzarxus on Dec 30, 2011 at 05:16 AM

Kills_Alone

Posted: Dec 30, 2011 08:05 PM    Msg. 15 of 25       
No, Shock120 is part of our team and he has released tons of research, there would be no MainMenu Mod without him. He has released plenty of Co-op info, he took it as far as he could, even put it all on YouTube. He is one of the original members of H2MT. He has helped with the AI research as well. He mapped out the best way to support co-op, its up to a dedicated server to do the rest and the tools to support that process are currently in development.

You talk about the latest breakthroughs as if they happened years ago, some of the best findings such as Custom SP, Co-op, Hybrid maps and better AI have just happened in the last few months.

Regarding G4WL it does have a few advantages, specifically the ability to distribute the maps in-game. It also prevents pirates from playing online which keeps the player-base down which leads to the next question.

You answered your own question about the issue with so many players on Halo CE; piracy. Its not up to any Mapping/Modding teams to do anything about that. The reason these players play HCE is because they can pirate it and play online and because they have older hand-me-down computers. Windows XP came out in 2001, its ten years old, one year is a long time in the computer world, ten years is insane. No wonder these players cannot play H2V, even if they had Vista, their hardware is too slow.

I don't know what you mean about the maps not being great, I prefer H2V maps to CE maps any day. Better graphics, gameplay and control options. I cannot enjoy CE online what with all the leading, leading a shot is not a skill, its making up for the games networking deficiency.

And back to the tools, what they promised us and what they provided where two different things. They essentially gave us the correct tools but they also locked them down so we could not create/edit/view all the tags (which yes the Unlocked H2EK gets around), they removed almost all relevant source files, even files mentioned in the tutorial. They also removed the ability to compile new collision, render and physics models. They also locked the custom menu so it would not load some modified content. So currently there are some better tools, but overall we are still limited in scope and it makes new users with aspirations of mapping to turn away confused or annoyed.

Now Vista was bulky at first, but it was also the foundation for Windows 7, without one there would not be the other. I have a Vista system I've been running pre-RTM with no major issues, but then I know how to use/update/maintain a computer. H2V should have been allowed to run on XP, we can all agree on that, but that does not mean that Vista was such a bad OS. All major versions of Windows (including XP) required Service Packs before they were dependable. Thats why Win Server 2008 was so solid because on release it already had Vista Service Pack 1. And that is why Win7 is so solid, because it incorporates those same updates from Vista.

Last, Windows 7 is a great OS, but there is a bug in the early G4WL games such as H2V, Shadowrun and Viva Pinata which cause Live to fail on some Win7 systems.

Zenzarxus

Posted: Dec 31, 2011 04:02 AM    Msg. 16 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kills_Alone
I don't know what you mean about the maps not being great, I prefer H2V maps to CE maps any day. Better graphics, gameplay and control options. I cannot enjoy CE online what with all the leading, leading a shot is not a skill, its making up for the games networking deficiency.

No no no no sir, I meant the custom maps. we don't see much work like CMT's on Halo 2. And yes lead is annoying.
Edited by Zenzarxus on Dec 31, 2011 at 04:03 AM

beazt

Posted: Dec 31, 2011 11:19 AM    Msg. 17 of 25       
What CMT is famous in HCE community for? Single player maps. And because you couldn't make proper single player maps on h2v then it only makes sense not much CMT like work has been done.
When it comes to multiplayer maps you have to understand that with smaller player base there will be also less map makers. Less map makers = less maps.
Edited by beazt on Dec 31, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Kills_Alone

Posted: Dec 31, 2011 06:00 PM    Msg. 18 of 25       
Yeah, there is another factor as well, I would have flooded the servers with many many variants of existing maps so that we had more HCE, H3 and so forth type maps, you know like alternate versions of maps, plus I have many BSPs that are mostly done but I hate doing the netgame settings as it takes a lot of time to get perfect and its redundant type work.

Problem is, there is a built-in limit so that we can only have ~50 maps recognized by H2V, anymore and it will not see the newer maps, this is a hassle because the server can only host ~50 maps and each player is stuck when they reach that number. Yes, you can remove old maps unfortunately most users have no idea they can or might need to do this. More short-sited thinking on Microsoft's side.

Twinreaper

Posted: Jan 2, 2012 02:05 AM    Msg. 19 of 25       
Sorry I am late to the party here guys. Just to update you guys real quick, Crater is coming along nicely. Right now I am working on reducing the map size a bit. Unfortunatly when I layed out the upper ares and the inside base... I failed to think about how unbalanced standard multiplayer games would be. So I am still shrinking it down and experimenting with other layouts right now as well.as heavy experimentation with the muriad of shader combinations. I should have a new build with basic spawns up.sometime soon. This project pljs mh total covie revamp of Ratrace has been taking up a lot of free time. Just bare with me and I am sure you will be amazed at what I put up. More on this soon. Reaper out!

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Jan 7, 2012 10:52 AM    Msg. 20 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: Zenzarxus
but look, you have syncing ai
ai doesn't synchronize.
The bipeds do. :3

Maverick Skiver

Must Scatter The Virus To Earth!

Posted: Apr 11, 2012 12:03 PM    Msg. 21 of 25       
Is there going to be halo 3 brute ai

Twinreaper

Posted: Apr 14, 2012 10:44 AM    Msg. 22 of 25       
Brutes are a much sought after AI piece. I have a half way textured fully rigged H3 Brute right now, but animations are not yet possible custom wise. I have made a little progress like getting things to switch position thru animation tags.....but nothing 100% working. No smooth transition or anything like that. Aside from Brutes, machines in general like doors, are my first order or priority. I do not know if anyone else on the team is currently pursuing animations or AI though.

I will say this though, Frankie during the Halo panel didn't rule out future Halo releases on PC, so it is quite a possibility that we will see Halo 3 with a full HEK on the PC well before we fully are able to unlock 75% of the creative ability of Halo 2.

pwner5889

Posted: Apr 10, 2013 11:37 AM    Msg. 23 of 25       
I know this is old. I'm sorry for bringing back this old thread. Is there any chance of this map ever being released?

Kills_Alone

Posted: Apr 10, 2013 07:44 PM    Msg. 24 of 25       
It and many other brand new custom H2PC maps can be found here:
http://h2mt.org/repository/maps.php

Direct Download Link

YouTube Footage
Edited by Kills_Alone on May 27, 2013 at 07:34 PM

Twinreaper

Posted: Apr 13, 2013 10:40 PM    Msg. 25 of 25       
Sorry about that. Dennis is being a real dick and not reviewing or posting anything Halo 2 PC wise that i had finished and released. Crater was finished and as Kills pointed out, ready for download under the map name "Hollow". If your interested, head over to H2PC.org and become a member. I have a final map port of Powerhouse coming very soon!

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed March 29, 2017 8:40 PM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website