A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo Free 2 Play Movement!

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next
Author Topic: Halo Free 2 Play Movement! (109 messages, Page 1 of 4)
Moderators: Dennis

gottalovetonic

Posted: Oct 24, 2011 06:11 PM    Msg. 1 of 109       
Could you imagine a Halo PC F2P? If this was to happen you could expect advertisements on several sites for it, including xfire and youtube. A complete rebirth of one of the most popular games in north america over the last decade. 20,000+ players at once like combat arms and crossfire possibly.

For those who don't no halo trial, halo custom edition, and halo pc are all still alive, And still doing a pretty good job.

Halo Trial- 1300+ players during the day at once
Halo Custom Edition 1.00 (cracked free version)- 2000+ players during the day at once
Halo Full Version 1.09- 400+ players during the day at once
Halo Full Version 1.04 (cracked free version)- 200+ players during the day at once

It's still one of the most played games on xfire aswell, So I think this game shouldn't be ignored.. joined the movement and help get halo f2p.

http://www.xfire.com/communities/hosbftp/

Posted this on xfire forums and other forums so it may sound a bit obvious to some halo players

The point of this to try to get a free 2 play (legal) version of halo to be released that would be advertised on several sites including youtube, xfire, etc. Whether it is possible or not its worth the try, and at the very least it will raise the awareness of halo to people who thought this game was completely dead long ago.

Bobblehob

Posted: Oct 24, 2011 11:58 PM    Msg. 2 of 109       
Dear lord no, its so cheap and easy to get a copy as it is, but with this, every little pain in the ass and his little brother would be botting, and being a pain.

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: Oct 26, 2011 01:09 PM    Msg. 3 of 109       
Just don't advertise Halo Custom Edition... Too many non-custom map servers already. We don't need billions of little kids who don't know how to get or use custom maps...

Oh and MORE than 5 Custom Edition clans support this because they don't use CD-Key validation on their servers, so go ahead and make Halo Custom Edition free to play. (im curious to how this will turn out ^_^ )

If you host nothing but STOCK maps, go back to Halo PC you vermin clans..

edit> if servers were overrunable, or crashable again at least, I would gladly be the C.E. Nazi.
Edited by OrangeJuice on Oct 26, 2011 at 03:27 PM

SeL

https://twitter.com/FalldogStudio

Posted: Oct 26, 2011 01:49 PM    Msg. 4 of 109       
Oh sure because the potential influx of more five year olds into the halo community would be such a tragedy.

Hint most of this site falls into that group so it's not like it would matter anyway~~~

As far as I'm concerned all art should be freely accessible to everyone, and video games fall into that category, but unfortunately it's not up to me, and there's almost no way it would happen in a capitalist economy unless they did something stupid like add an ingame store where you could buy hats for outrageously high prices (hi tf2).

So sorry, as nice as it would be, it won't happen.
Edited by SeL on Oct 26, 2011 at 01:50 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Oct 26, 2011 02:45 PM    Msg. 5 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
If you host nothing but STOCK maps, go back to Halo PC you vermin clans..
Edited by OrangeJuice on Oct 26, 2011 at 01:15 PM

HUZZAH

Xoronatus

Taking a break

Posted: Oct 26, 2011 10:48 PM    Msg. 6 of 109       
I don't see much point in this. I doubt very many people would play Halo on the PC for multiplayer even if it were free, the netcode isn't too good as we all know, and for inexperienced people who are used to their games working well would be frustrated by the lag that prevents them from killing anybody.

Spartan_094

Posted: Oct 26, 2011 10:50 PM    Msg. 7 of 109       
>Free 2 Play
>Halo 1 only costs $5-$10
>Can't afford to pay $10

urggggghhh

anonymous_2009

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 12:15 PM    Msg. 8 of 109       
You seriously can't afford a simple 5... or $6 or whatever it will be there. How pathetic, lmao.

It is so cheap it doesn't matter, people who crack it are just idiots...

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 12:27 PM    Msg. 9 of 109       
Same with people who bot. I sure as hell won't pay 5-10$ to play a game I'm not even playing. That's just retarded. Those people must be REALLY insecure or something to need people to think they are good or something because it's not like botting shows off any skill in programming, or network manipulation since the bot does that for you.

SeL

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 02:46 PM    Msg. 10 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: eliteslasher
it's not like botting shows off any skill in programming since the bot does that for you.

Wait wait wait

the bots program themselves?

aw snap son we're screwed

SeL

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 06:23 PM    Msg. 11 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sciophobiaranger

Wait, why for free? You must be poor to not be able to use your lunch money for a game.....i mean seriously one hour of work for me and i can get 5 halo ce cd codes...And halo 2 is not expensive either, get it used on gamestop or ebay if you can't afford a new copy....AND if it was free halo 2 would be just like halo ce, all the players dont speak english....and hack....so re-think your post there.

Edited by Sciophobiaranger on Oct 27, 2011 at 04:31 PM

I'll just leave this here before anyone else breaks out idiotic comments about the game being cheap so no one has an excuse to pirate or want it to go f2p.

Quote: Poverty is defined as the state of one who lacks a usual or socially acceptable amount of money or material possessions.[1] According to the U.S. Census Bureau data released Tuesday September 13th, 2011, the nation's poverty rate rose to 15.1% in 2010, up from 14.3% (approximately 43.6 million) in 2009 and to its highest level since 1993. In 2008, 13.2% (39.8 million) Americans lived in relative poverty.

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 10:49 PM    Msg. 12 of 109       
The pirates in this case aren't American. ⌐_⌐

SeL

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 09:43 AM    Msg. 13 of 109       
Quote: Poverty in Mexico
Poverty by Numbers:
Population: 112,322,757 (2010 Census)
Population below Poverty Line: 44.2% (49,646,658)
Population in Moderate Poverty: 33.7% (37,852,769)
Population in Extreme Poverty: 10.5% (11,793,889)

Amazingcuziam

Sup.

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 10:57 AM    Msg. 14 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: SeL
Quote: Poverty in Mexico
Poverty by Numbers:
Population: 112,322,757 (2010 Census)
Population below Poverty Line: 44.2% (49,646,658)
Population in Moderate Poverty: 33.7% (37,852,769)
Population in Extreme Poverty: 10.5% (11,793,889)

pwn'd.

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 01:57 PM    Msg. 15 of 109       
Sorry what does Poverty have to do with this?
I do hope everyone is aware that these same people own a computer decent enough to run halo, pay for the extra electric bill and pay for an internet connection each month?
You can't call that poverty.

As to this movement: There is no use in making this free to play, people that want free to play have been playing for free from the start these last 8 years. Population will not increase, the game is simply too old for this.

SeL

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 02:25 PM    Msg. 16 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sean Aero
I do hope everyone is aware that these same people own a computer decent enough to run halo, pay for the extra electric bill and pay for an internet connection each month?

Uh, yeah you can?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_threshold

Mexico is a country where 10% of their population can't afford basic needs, and another 34% can't afford what we would consider acceptable living conditions. If you don't think 5$ to buy this game isn't a big deal to people in that group, or people living just above it (read most of the rest of mexico's population) you're deluding yourself.
Edited by SeL on Oct 28, 2011 at 02:25 PM

HaloIsAHorribleGane

I'd rather play yahtzee

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 03:16 PM    Msg. 17 of 109       
this just in

gaming isn't a necessity

neither are conputers

crazy right?

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 03:40 PM    Msg. 18 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: HaloIsAHorribleGane
this just in

gaming isn't a necessity

neither are conputers

crazy right?

WHAT?!? This is madness.... How are you ever going to get a career in computers without a computer?!?!?! Then you'll never make any money, and in turn, you'll never get any food, and die.. Just because you didn't buy a computer!!1!11

SeL

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 03:52 PM    Msg. 19 of 109       
this just in

gaming isn't a necessity

neither are conputers

crazy right?

yeah I agree, conputers are very unnecessary.

HaloIsAHorribleGane

I'd rather play yahtzee

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 03:58 PM    Msg. 20 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
this just in

gaming isn't a necessity

neither are conputers

crazy right?

WHAT?!? This is madness.... How are you ever going to get a career in computers without a computer?!?!?! Then you'll never make any money, and in turn, you'll never get any food, and die.. Just because you didn't buy a computer!!1!11

this just in,

there are jobs out there that don't require computer experience

frickin insane isn't it

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 04:39 PM    Msg. 21 of 109       
I'll just leave this here before anyone else breaks out idiotic comments about the game being cheap so no one has an excuse to pirate or want it to go f2p.
Quote: Poverty is defined as the state of one who lacks a usual or socially acceptable amount of money or material possessions.[1] According to the U.S. Census Bureau data released Tuesday September 13th, 2011, the nation's poverty rate rose to 15.1% in 2010, up from 14.3% (approximately 43.6 million) in 2009 and to its highest level since 1993. In 2008, 13.2% (39.8 million) Americans lived in relative poverty.
People who have bought a computer and pay for internet access can buy Halo. Not sure what the actual excuse is for pirating it, maybe just because it's easier than going to the store, buying the CD, and installing off the CD. Or maybe because it's rated M and many stores don't sell M rated games directly to minors.

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 05:35 PM    Msg. 22 of 109       

Uh, yeah you can?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_threshold

Mexico is a country where 10% of their population can't afford basic needs, and another 34% can't afford what we would consider acceptable living conditions. If you don't think 5$ to buy this game isn't a big deal to people in that group, or people living just above it (read most of the rest of mexico's population) you're deluding yourself.
Edited by SeL on Oct 28, 2011 at 02:25 PM

I believe you may be unaware of the fact that Sean Aero just said that if you can afford a computer that can play Halo and pay for electricity and internet, you can afford Halo. He didn't mention at all that he actually cares about percentages of people in poverty. I don't see at all what that has to do with this. 43% of Mexicans don't have computers and so don't pirate and can't play an F2P either if your facts are correct. This fact was pointed out in Sean's post and any other facts that you decided to point out are entirely irrelevant

Basically, there's no excuse for pirating. If you can afford a computer and internet, BUY HALO.

SeL

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 05:50 PM    Msg. 23 of 109       

Apparently a lot of you missed this part. :]

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 05:53 PM    Msg. 24 of 109       

No, sorry.

SeL

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 06:15 PM    Msg. 25 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: SlappyThePirate

No, sorry.

So you read it and you still don't understand why 5$ isn't nothing to a huge amount of people in almost every country?

lol

I guess I should keep in mind that most of you are twelve and get all your money from mommy and daddy anyway :3

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 08:23 PM    Msg. 26 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: SlappyThePirate

No, sorry.

So you read it and you still don't understand why 5$ isn't nothing to a huge amount of people in almost every country?
Of course it's not nothing, but I don't think you get that that's not even the point. Gane basically sums it up with 'computers are not a neccessity'. You make it sound like Halo, a computer, and the internet are basic needs that they can barely afford, so to save money they pirate the game. There're not pirating to save ten bucks because they can't afford ten bucks of 2001 PC game. I don't think the bottom 44% of Mexico is playing HCE.

And on a sidenote, maybe someone (Dennis? idk) can tell us what percentage of players are from Mexico, US, Europe, Latin america, etc?

SeL

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 08:59 PM    Msg. 27 of 109       
:l

This is like arguing with a brick wall, please unless you're going to go and post statistics and facts that show that nobody living in poverty (not absolute poverty), and nobody living above the poverty line but still can't afford to spend 5$ on a whim has an internet connection and a computer.

I'm obviously not denying that some people are pirating the game just because they don't want to spend the money, there most certainly are people doing this, I'm just saying that there are people who are pirating the game because they don't have the money. (Students are an excellent example of this, it's VERY far from uncommon for them to torrent games they want to play, and not shell out money because they're sitting in thousands of dollars of debt, and these are people who obviously do have computers and internet connections)

As for Mexico, I don't know why so many people pirate it, if the game is even sold there I would hardly be surprised if they were pirating it because they didn't have the money, if it isn't then that probably gives you your answer right there why so many pirates are Mexican.

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 09:59 PM    Msg. 28 of 109       
Students are an excellent example of this, it's VERY far from uncommon for them to torrent games they want to play, and not shell out money because they're sitting in thousands of dollars of debt, and these are people who obviously do have computers and internet connections

Guess I'm the odd man out...
Hell I still I have 90 copies of Halo laying around xD
Mom and Dad? I wish! Working hard next to college that is.

To be honest if you got time to sit down and play games then you also got the time to earn the dollars to actually buy the game. Yes I am aware that some countries have a different pay rate but no matter what your pay rate is if you got the money to pay for a computer, the extra electric bill and a monthly internet connection and you even have time left to play games, than I'm sure in that situation there is a budget to buy the game, especially if it's old.

As for college students with debts, Investing in your self for a better future is not poverty.
Even these students with debts still consume and I'm pretty sure it's not just basic needs.

SlappyThePirate

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 10:08 PM    Msg. 29 of 109       
:l

This is like arguing with a brick wall, please unless you're going to go and post statistics and facts that show that nobody living in poverty (not absolute poverty), and nobody living above the poverty line but still can't afford to spend 5$ on a whim has an internet connection and a computer.

I'm obviously not denying that some people are pirating the game just because they don't want to spend the money, there most certainly are people doing this, I'm just saying that there are people who are pirating the game because they don't have the money. (Students are an excellent example of this, it's VERY far from uncommon for them to torrent games they want to play, and not shell out money because they're sitting in thousands of dollars of debt, and these are people who obviously do have computers and internet connections)

As for Mexico, I don't know why so many people pirate it, if the game is even sold there I would hardly be surprised if they were pirating it because they didn't have the money, if it isn't then that probably gives you your answer right there why so many pirates are Mexican.
Yes it is. There are basically no facts in this argument and we still aren't sure why so many people pirate the game.
Then again people will pirate any game and halo's no exception.

SeL

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 10:37 PM    Msg. 30 of 109       

Apparently you are.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/college/2006-06-11-debt-cover-usat_x.htm

As for college students with debts, Investing in your self for a better future is not poverty.
Even these students with debts still consume and I'm pretty sure it's not just basic needs.

I never said students were in poverty, I cited them as a great example of people who can't afford to go and shell out 5$ because they feel like it, despite not being below the poverty line.

Also the whole "well if they can afford to spend time playing they can afford to spend more time working to buy the game" argument is ludicrous, these are people who spend huge portions of their time at low paying jobs, and then spend almost all the rest of their time studying/learning, and you're telling me that if someone in this position can't afford to buy halo they should go and work even more, when they barely have enough time for play as it is?

Sorry, no.

Everyone should be able to have time for recreation regardless of how tight their budget is.
Edited by SeL on Oct 28, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 11:23 PM    Msg. 31 of 109       

Apparently you are.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/college/2006-06-11-debt-cover-usat_x.htm

14k right here, I meant the torrent games part.

Quote:

I never said students were in poverty, I cited them as a great example of people who can't afford to go and shell out 5$ because they feel like it, despite not being below the poverty line.

Also the whole "well if they can afford to spend time playing they can afford to spend more time working to buy the game" argument is ludicrous, these are people who spend huge portions of their time at low paying jobs, and then spend almost all the rest of their time studying/learning, and you're telling me that if someone in this position can't afford to buy halo they should go and work even more, when they barely have enough time for play as it is?

Sorry, no.

Everyone should be able to have time for recreation regardless of how tight their budget is.
Edited by SeL on Oct 28, 2011 at 10:43 PM

A nice long walk in the park doesn't cost you a dime and is completely legal, very recreative too!
But no, it had to be a torrent version of Halo.
We are speaking of a few dollars here, that's probably a one time job as in cutting someones grass or helping someone move. An odd job that even a hard working student, who's flipping burgers during night shifts at McDonalds can do.

Don't justify illegal matters by saying:
"Oh, but hey if you have debts and you can't afford buying a game then it's completely okay to torrent a cheap game like Halo, because you have debts and don't want to work extra because I want recreation time! Because I'm a student and I have the right to recreate in my free time. I have the right to sit on my ass and play video games for a few hours every week which I did not pay for, because I work hard and study hard."

Sorry, no.

The world does not work like this, just because you demand recreation time doesn't justify certain actions, in this case torrent an 8 year old Halo PC game. Especially when your in a position where you can have that extra source of income to get it legally.
It just says something about your personal mentality towards torrents, recreation, work and big FU to the people that created this game.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 11:25 PM    Msg. 32 of 109       
Students are an excellent example of this, it's VERY far from uncommon for them to torrent games they want to play, and not shell out money because they're sitting in thousands of dollars of debt, and these are people who obviously do have computers and internet connections

Hell I still I have 90 copies of Halo laying around xD
Mom and Dad? I wish! Working hard next to college that is.

To be honest if you got time to sit down and play games then you also got the time to earn the dollars to actually buy the game. Yes I am aware that some countries have a different pay rate but no matter what your pay rate is if you got the money to pay for a computer, the extra electric bill and a monthly internet connection and you even have time left to play games, than I'm sure in that situation there is a budget to buy the game, especially if it's old.

My parents dont give me anything either lol, they are poor on minimal wage, im the only one in my house with any money, + im going to college lol. I can stop at the end of this year and have a degree, or go two more years for a bachelors, and then if I want one more year at a university for a masters. for these two years, I have only spent like 1/5th my savings from when I worked as a dishwasher, plus I've bought myself both my computers (laptop + desktop), my TV, a PS3 and xbox360... as long as your living in someone elses house, you should be able to easily survive with any job while stockpiling massive savings.. and I still have multiple people who owe me money that I lent them lol.

Although, I guess the only reason why I have this much money is because im so stingy.. I hate spending money lol (another reason I'd never be able to get a girlfriend.. even if they looked past my fatass (which is caused by laziness, not eating.. im to cheap to eat that much. I always sit there lawling as people think they can control me with food.. they don't seem to realize that there is more than one way to become fat.. more so, you'd think people I went to school with since elementry school would notice that I never brought lunches with me to school... apparently not lol.) they'd be to disappointed with me never buying them anything.. besides, what do I have to talk to them about lol, the happenings of the internet, and anime.... real girl pleasing topics, right?)

But seriously.. if you say you don't have the money to buy it, I am disappoint in you, even I have thousands of spare dollars sitting around, and I only worked 3 or 4 years during highschool, before going off to college.. If you aren't buying it because of a dislike of using money, that is something I can understand, im stingy with my money after all.

wait.. when did this become about how much money people have? *shrug*

Black Crypt

Xfire : blackcrypt

Posted: Oct 28, 2011 11:38 PM    Msg. 33 of 109       
Sean is not 'the odd one out'

If you can't afford something then you don't have it unless you get off your arse and go earn some extra cash to buy it.

Just taking it because you can is not acceptable - even for a very old game. If you ain't got the cash to buy it then you can't have it and there is no excuse in the world for stealing - because that's what it is.

And please, $5! That's all. $5.

Edit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/

*admin shortened URL
Edited by Black Crypt on Oct 28, 2011 at 11:43 PM
Edited by Dennis on Oct 29, 2011 at 09:17 PM

Contrary Smuglord

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 01:09 AM    Msg. 34 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: Black Crypt
Buy Halo PC... please?

Ah Halo. You're one the few PC games I actually bought besides the Deus Ex and Thief games.
Edited by Contrary Smuglord on Oct 29, 2011 at 01:09 AM

SeL

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 09:23 AM    Msg. 35 of 109       
*insinuating that how the world works is how things should be*

lol

Regardless of whether you are rich or poor, everyone should have the ability to experience the arts, whether you can pay or not, and suggesting anything else is ethically wrong, regardless of legality.

Poor people endure long awful jobs that they can barely support themselves and their families on if they're lucky, and students endure school, work and the stress of tens of thousands of dollars of debt for several years. There is no way I can maintain my ethics and tell either of these groups to simply "work harder". Deal with it.
Edited by SeL on Oct 29, 2011 at 09:27 AM

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun December 8, 2019 1:10 PM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website