A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo Free 2 Play Movement!

Page 2 of 4 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · 4 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Halo Free 2 Play Movement! (109 messages, Page 2 of 4)
Moderators: Dennis

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 09:41 AM    Msg. 36 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: SeL

Quote: --- Original message by: Sean Aero
*insinuating that how the world works is how things should be*

lol

Regardless of whether you are rich or poor, everyone should have the ability to experience the arts, whether you can pay or not, and suggesting anything else is ethically wrong, regardless of legality.

Poor people endure long awful jobs that they can barely support themselves and their families on if they're lucky, and students endure school, work and the stress of tens of thousands of dollars of debt for several years. There is no way I can maintain my ethics and tell either of these groups to simply "work harder". Deal with it.
Edited by SeL on Oct 29, 2011 at 09:27 AM

Regardless of whether you are rich or poor, there is one christian commandment that even I follow as an atheist...

"Thou shall not steal"

Stealing is morally wrong and should not be tolerated. If I was walking through London, and I saw a beggar, but I refused to give him any money, do you think it would be right for him to just get up and take my wallet? No. It's my property and if I don't want to give it to him, that is my right.

Selling games earns developers money and pays for their essentials. If they wanted to give away their wages to someone, they would do so willingly. I believe there's a word that describes pirates in this situation... 'rude'. Ask nicely and you may get what you want. Take what you want forcefully and you're a jerk, regardless of whether you're poor or rich.
Edited by Jaz on Oct 29, 2011 at 09:42 AM

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 09:42 AM    Msg. 37 of 109       
Kirby, get off your lazy behind and start excersizing.

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 10:20 AM    Msg. 38 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz

lol

Regardless of whether you are rich or poor, everyone should have the ability to experience the arts, whether you can pay or not, and suggesting anything else is ethically wrong, regardless of legality.

Poor people endure long awful jobs that they can barely support themselves and their families on if they're lucky, and students endure school, work and the stress of tens of thousands of dollars of debt for several years. There is no way I can maintain my ethics and tell either of these groups to simply "work harder". Deal with it.

Regardless of whether you are rich or poor, there is one christian commandment that even I follow as an atheist...

"Thou shall not steal"

Stealing is morally wrong and should not be tolerated. If I was walking through London, and I saw a beggar, but I refused to give him any money, do you think it would be right for him to just get up and take my wallet? No. It's my property and if I don't want to give it to him, that is my right.

Selling games earns developers money and pays for their essentials. If they wanted to give away their wages to someone, they would do so willingly. I believe there's a word that describes pirates in this situation... 'rude'. Ask nicely and you may get what you want. Take what you want forcefully and you're a jerk, regardless of whether you're poor or rich.

Well this is quite a conundrum we have here :3

What if that beggar's only options are to die of starvation or steal food? Both are morally wrong.

Food is a necessity, and should be provided to everyone who needs it, anything else would be morally wrong, however, stealing it is also morally wrong, what do we do?

Now, art is also a necessity (imagine living your life without ever experiencing any of the arts and just try to argue otherwise), and it is wrong to starve people of this too.

How do we solve this moral issue?

Also, in the Mexican's case, let's hypothetically assume that the game isn't even sold there, so they are all forced to steal it or not play it at all. Is this also wrong?

ps: don't bother responding if you're not going to contribute seriously to the ethical debate, I really am interested in seeing what people's solutions to these issues would be.
Edited by SeL on Oct 29, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Jaz

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 11:13 AM    Msg. 39 of 109       

lol

"Thou shall not steal"

Well this is quite a conundrum we have here :3

What if that beggar's only options are to die of starvation or steal food? Both are morally wrong.

Food is a necessity, and should be provided to everyone who needs it, anything else would be morally wrong, however, stealing it is also morally wrong, what do we do?

Now, art is also a necessity (imagine living your life without ever experiencing any of the arts and just try to argue otherwise), and it is wrong to starve people of this too.

How do we solve this moral issue?

Also, in the Mexican's case, let's hypothetically assume that the game isn't even sold there, so they are all forced to steal it or not play it at all. Is this also wrong?

ps: don't bother responding if you're not going to contribute seriously to the ethical debate, I really am interested in seeing what people's solutions to these issues would be.

If the game isn't sold there, it is perfectly possible to find another game which provides the same experience. If that is not possible either, internet access could be used to simply ask a kind person to buy the game for them and ask Microsoft for trading rights. If no kind person is willing to take up this task, the Mexican in question would be forced to either steal or find another game which may not be as good. The latter is more morally right but doesn't provide as great an experience. Unfortunately, this happens often in life.
I wouldn't go on the internet and find exclusive paintings such as the Mona Lisa, then print them off in my own home simply because I don't live near a suitable art gallery. Neither would I go on to the internet, find a book, and print it off myself simply because I don't live near a book shop(Which I actually do, but nevermind).

Black Crypt

Xfire : blackcrypt

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 01:12 PM    Msg. 40 of 109       

Forced? Really? Forced? Go play some other FREE game on the net. Get your fix of 'art' that way. Your right to experience the 'arts' doesn't negate your responsibility to behave in a morally correct manner.

Wrong forum for that. Seriously.

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 01:17 PM    Msg. 41 of 109       
lol

thank you for that insightful post that contributed oh so much to the discussion :]

Jaz

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 01:23 PM    Msg. 42 of 109       
lol

thank you for that insightful post that contributed oh so much to the discussion :]

If that is sarcasm I smell, I'd like to point out that his post actually did contribute to the discussion, it just wasn't set out very intellectually and didn't present his case very well. He made a similar point to mine though. There are alternatives to stealing Halo. The indie market is massive and some large companies are getting in on the free to play market too.

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 01:35 PM    Msg. 43 of 109       
I don't generally react well to people who spew something like THATS OFF TOPIC (It really isn't, we're focusing primarily on Halo and ethics related to acquiring it) and try to prevent what could potentially be an interesting and mature debate from taking place on this forum.

---

There aren't really any "free" alternatives to Halo, there are other free games which are in the FPS genre, but Halo is more or less unique, so I can't really help but find that entire argument to be silly.

Keep in mind Halo is an insanely popular game too, mostly in thanks to a humongous amount of advertising so chances are this is all these people have even heard of anyway.

Also @Jaz what you're more or less saying in the hypothetical situation where Halo isn't sold there, the solution is to sell it there, which if it hasn't happened yet, probably isn't going to happen now, especially since Mexico is falling apart at an alarming rate as it is.

Additionally I'd like to know how you'd all deal with games that are no longer sold and can't be acquired by any means other than piracy. You're in no way negatively impacting the developers, and you have no other options if you want to play the game. For instance in 50 years or something when Halo 1 is no longer sold, do you think you could seriously argue to people that they're thieves for not buying the game?
Edited by SeL on Oct 29, 2011 at 01:43 PM

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 01:47 PM    Msg. 44 of 109       
Come on David keep it real.

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 02:00 PM    Msg. 45 of 109       
Additionally I'd like to know how you'd all deal with games that are no longer sold and can't be acquired by any means other than piracy. You're in no way negatively impacting the developers, and you have no other options if you want to play the game. For instance in 50 years or something when Halo 1 is no longer sold, do you think you could seriously argue to people that they're thieves for not buying the game?

That's when you call on people like me to find a solution to someones halo needs ;)

Amazingcuziam

Sup.

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 02:17 PM    Msg. 46 of 109       

That's when you call on people like me to find a solution to someones halo needs ;)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19720044/Halo/I%20like%20halo.JPG
dear god that's a lot of halos.

Spartan_094

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 03:27 PM    Msg. 47 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: Amazingcuziam

100 halo's

Amazingcuziam

Sup.

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 03:31 PM    Msg. 48 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan_094

100 halo's
well that confirms that there are moar than 7, eh?

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 03:39 PM    Msg. 49 of 109       
I love you sean

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 05:41 PM    Msg. 50 of 109       
I love you sean

<3

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 07:05 PM    Msg. 51 of 109       
Mexico is a country where 10% of their population can't afford basic needs, and another 34% can't afford what we would consider acceptable living conditions. If you don't think 5$ to buy this game isn't a big deal to people in that group, or people living just above it (read most of the rest of mexico's population) you're deluding yourself.

Apparently a lot of you missed this part. :]

Why, pray tell, are we talking about Mexico and why they "need" halo?

Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates

That, my friend, is what those Mexican's that need to steal Halo should do.

Pirating things that should be payed for is WRONG. Both morally and legally. There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE NOT TO PAY FOR WHATEVER "IT" IS. And as you might know people that pirate music are often found and FINED $3000.

As per "Halo: Combat Evolved" becoming a F2P game there is no reason it should. There are plenty of games out there that are F2P.

And M$ would never make it free legally anyway.

Anyone who can't get a job for an hour and earn 5 bucks is just plain lazy and need's to get off their ass and actually do something useful.

That's my 2 cents.
Edited by Skidrow925 on Oct 29, 2011 at 07:08 PM

Black Crypt

Xfire : blackcrypt

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 07:41 PM    Msg. 52 of 109       
You cannot and will not have meaningful 'debate' while the people who are involved have little or no respect for the opinions of other people involved in the debate.

Nothing you debate here has any consequence in the wider world.

If you're going to complain about posters being off-topic, then you are a hypocrite - the OP was asking about whether Halo should be free to play - not whether art should be free for all.

Get back on topic - should Halo be free to play. Not just for poor Mexicans, but everyone.

Amazingcuziam

Sup.

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 07:43 PM    Msg. 53 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925

Mexico is a country where 10% of their population can't afford basic needs, and another 34% can't afford what we would consider acceptable living conditions. If you don't think 5$ to buy this game isn't a big deal to people in that group, or people living just above it (read most of the rest of mexico's population) you're deluding yourself.

Apparently a lot of you missed this part. :]

Why, pray tell, are we talking about Mexico and why they "need" halo?

Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates

That, my friend, is what those Mexican's that need to steal Halo should do.

Pirating things that should be payed for is WRONG. Both morally and legally. There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE NOT TO PAY FOR WHATEVER "IT" IS. And as you might know people that pirate music are often found and FINED $3000.

As per "Halo: Combat Evolved" becoming a F2P game there is no reason it should. There are plenty of games out there that are F2P.

And M$ would never make it free legally anyway.

Anyone who can't get a job for an hour and earn 5 bucks is just plain lazy and need's to get off their ass and actually do something useful.

That's my 2 cents.

And you believe that electrical pulses which are read as 0s and 1s should be charged money for? Sorry bro, but I have no moral problem 'stealing' a few million 0s and 1s. Now, what you find morally wrong is completely different from what someone else (me, in this case. ) may believe to be wrong, thus making your statement incorrect on that front. Just my 2 cents.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 07:44 PM    Msg. 54 of 109       
there is no way Microsoft would let H1 be free when they are trying to make more money off of it with Halo Anniversary... that would be like shooting themselves in the foot.

Contrary Smuglord

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 07:54 PM    Msg. 55 of 109       
Wall of text

Enjoy your buyer's remorse for games you're going to regret buying sooner or later.

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 08:02 PM    Msg. 56 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: Contrary Smuglord
Wall of text

Enjoy your buyer's remorse for games you're going to regret buying sooner or later.

There's this little thing called borrowing form friends and also RENTING.

And at base yes it's millions of 1's and 0's.

However they cost MONEY because SOMEONE had to make all those 1's and 0's mean something. Without that person there would be no rhyme nor reason to those 1's and 0's.

While we are at it why don't we just go screw the archaic concept of Money? Eh?

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 08:10 PM    Msg. 57 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: Black Crypt
You cannot and will not have meaningful 'debate' while the people who are involved have little or no respect for the opinions of other people involved in the debate.

Nothing you debate here has any consequence in the wider world.

If you're going to complain about posters being off-topic, then you are a hypocrite - the OP was asking about whether Halo should be free to play - not whether art should be free for all.

Get back on topic - should Halo be free to play. Not just for poor Mexicans, but everyone.

I'm complaining about off topic posts, what?

I told people not to bother responding to me unless they were going to seriously contribute to the debate, you know, like your post right here is doing.

Also in case you missed it, we are talking about everyone~

Also also you're more than welcome to contribute to the original discussion, instead of the ethical sub discussion of the topic if you want to.

And you believe that electrical pulses which are read as 0s and 1s should be charged money for? Sorry bro, but I have no moral problem 'stealing' a few million 0s and 1s. Now, what you find morally wrong is completely different from what someone else (me, in this case. ) may believe to be wrong, thus making your statement incorrect on that front. Just my 2 cents.

While I can see where you're coming from here, I have to disagree, just pirating games because you don't want to pay is an entirely different thing. If you're financially secure and can afford these things without knowing the money should be spent on better quality food or something (in the case of poor people for instance), or in paying off student debt (in the case of students), then you should legitimately buy games. I make exceptions to this of course, for instance games with draconian drm that punishes legitimate consumers for not pirating the game, and other stuff along this lines.

However I do agree the game piracy is significantly less damaging then stealing physical necessities from other people, for instance in the beggar example, if he robbed a bakery he's then put the baker's livelihood on the line because the baker couldn't still sell that product. In the case of digital content however the creators have not lost a potential sale of a product that they needed to sell to sustain themselves. Keep in mind, that the majority of people who pirate a game would not have bought the game in the first place, and in several cases go and buy the game afterwards if they feel it's good enough. This is the exact reason why F2P games survive, most of the people paying for them do so because they wish to give something back to the developers for making a good game.

Also yes what you said in your post is important, everyone here is going to have different personal ethics, that's fine, there are no wrong answers here, what I'd like to see is just people explaining why they feel that way, so that we can have a greater mutual understanding and see how other people think and approach this issue. Instead of just making belittling counter productive posts like Black Crypt is doing.
Edited by SeL on Oct 29, 2011 at 08:21 PM

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 09:14 PM    Msg. 58 of 109       
I'm obviously not denying that some people are pirating the game just because they don't want to spend the money, there most certainly are people doing this, I'm just saying that there are people who are pirating the game because they don't have the money. (Students are an excellent example of this, it's VERY far from uncommon for them to torrent games they want to play, and not shell out money because they're sitting in thousands of dollars of debt, and these are people who obviously do have computers and internet connections).
While I agree with what you said and consider it to be 100% true and valid it is still not an excuse to steal aka pirate something that they do not need.

OrangeJuice

Still here because their site isn't active either

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 09:21 PM    Msg. 59 of 109       
Imagine that Halo is a country which has been invaded. And the natives are now endangered - or worse.

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 09:46 PM    Msg. 60 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
Imagine that Halo is a country which has been invaded. And the natives are now endangered - or worse.

Imagine that Halo is a game that without pirates would be deader than dead and you wouldn't be able to play multiplayer in because there would be no players.

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
While I agree with what you said and consider it to be 100% true and valid it is still not an excuse to steal aka pirate something that they do not need.

I agree entirely, the issue is that the word need is incredibly malleable, some people will define it as the bare minimum required to sustain yourself and continue working, others will define it as what is required to be able to live a full life.
Edited by SeL on Oct 29, 2011 at 09:49 PM

OrangeJuice

Still here because their site isn't active either

Posted: Oct 29, 2011 10:21 PM    Msg. 61 of 109       
It was dead a long time ago when custom maps made up less that 5% of the server list across all versions.

and therefore losing its purpose.
Edited by OrangeJuice on Oct 29, 2011 at 10:22 PM

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Oct 30, 2011 04:34 PM    Msg. 62 of 109       
Two questions:

Is Halo still beeing ''Printed'' and Distributed for the PC? I wasn't able to find an answer to this ever

and

Sean how did you manage to get 100 boxes of Halo? You stole them?

Jaz

Posted: Oct 30, 2011 04:48 PM    Msg. 63 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: OpsY
Two questions:

Is Halo still beeing ''Printed'' and Distributed for the PC? I wasn't able to find an answer to this ever

and

Simple. He built a top secret headquarters with 10,000,000 computers and used them to run a radar scan specifically designed to find Halo. Then he went out to each location and took the case, whether on park benches, in houses, or hidden in high security vaults. He did this with a nanotech suit stolen from Bruce Wayne's home near Gotham City. He retrieved this suit by building a network of top-quality thieving companies and setting up a series of crimes in Gotham City. Following their arrest, Bruce Wayne arrived in the high security jail wearing his Batman suit. Little did he know that the thieves had secretly had highly explosive beverages fed to them. These beverages exploded the instant Batman's baterangs came into contact with the detection field installed by the corrupt policemen hired by Sean. Batman was killed quickly and efficiently and all Sean had to do was walk in and take the keys to his mansion and take a nanosuit from the Batcave. Thus it was simple for him to go round stealing Halo while wearing that high-tech suit.

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 30, 2011 05:39 PM    Msg. 64 of 109       
Two questions:

and

Simple. He built a top secret headquarters with 10,000,000 computers and used them to run a radar scan specifically designed to find Halo. Then he went out to each location and took the case, whether on park benches, in houses, or hidden in high security vaults. He did this with a nanotech suit stolen from Bruce Wayne's home near Gotham City. He retrieved this suit by building a network of top-quality thieving companies and setting up a series of crimes in Gotham City. Following their arrest, Bruce Wayne arrived in the high security jail wearing his Batman suit. Little did he know that the thieves had secretly had highly explosive beverages fed to them. These beverages exploded the instant Batman's baterangs came into contact with the detection field installed by the corrupt policemen hired by Sean. Batman was killed quickly and efficiently and all Sean had to do was walk in and take the keys to his mansion and take a nanosuit from the Batcave. Thus it was simple for him to go round stealing Halo while wearing that high-tech suit.

I always thought he worked in a giant warehouse full of copy's of halo and decided no-one would miss a few cases of em.

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Oct 30, 2011 07:46 PM    Msg. 65 of 109       
Two questions:

and

Halo 1 PC is no longer printed, production has stopped in 2010.

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who's cousin knew of a few boxes hidden in high security vaults and that's where the epic journey began.

cyboryxmen

--CG artist-- New mission. Refuse this Mission!

Posted: Oct 31, 2011 04:30 AM    Msg. 66 of 109       
Am I the only one that sees the irony of Skidrow being against piracy? seriously, try googling his name and look at the 1st and 4th result.
-Zekilk
Edited by cyboryxmen on Oct 31, 2011 at 04:31 AM

Wolf_

Posted: Oct 31, 2011 11:41 AM    Msg. 67 of 109       
I don't see the irony. And the game should be free.

SeL

twitter.com/TeamFalldog

Posted: Oct 31, 2011 11:56 AM    Msg. 68 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: goldkilla88
WOW, Microsoft is just asking for pirates to ruin an awesome game.

Yeah those awful pirates who without we wouldn't be playing the game at all online!!!

lol.

Amazingcuziam

Sup.

Posted: Oct 31, 2011 12:15 PM    Msg. 69 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: cyboryxmen

Am I the only one that sees the irony of Skidrow being against piracy? seriously, try googling his name and look at the 1st and 4th result.
-Zekilk
Edited by cyboryxmen on Oct 31, 2011 at 04:31 AM
I get the irony. I also love skidrow (not our one. ), he/their amazing.

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Oct 31, 2011 01:46 PM    Msg. 70 of 109       
Quote: --- Original message by: goldkilla88
WOW, Microsoft is just asking for pirates to ruin an awesome game.

Yeah those awful pirates who without we wouldn't be playing the game at all online!!!

lol.

I'm sorry, but just alone in the HaloRank system I have 11K (11,749) unique keys showing up as legit.
I only need 15 others to have a good time ;)
Edited by Sean Aero on Oct 31, 2011 at 01:46 PM
Edited by Sean Aero on Oct 31, 2011 at 01:47 PM

Page 2 of 4 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · 4 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed August 12, 2020 4:55 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website