A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »Creating single player maps with the map editor.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Creating single player maps with the map editor. (47 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

adolif2

Karma changes people.

Posted: Nov 10, 2011 10:22 PM    Msg. 1 of 47       
After being mean to Dennis, posting about a hopeless ai sync method for CE, and creating the flop which is BSP_FIXER, I decided to, yet again, attempt to provide something useful to the community.

This is mainly a research project I've been working on. It's isn't really intended for the average map maker.

I modified halo 2's tool to allow it to compile single player scenarios. The scenarios can be modified into single player mode via a hex editor.

I noticed the following things about compiling maps in single player mode:

Adding tags to the map which would normally cause the map to be excluded from the list...well...don't cause any problems.

The single player ui tags can *still* be used, as they seem to be in mainmenu.map or shared.map.

That's about it...now for the interesting part: ai spawning.

I used one of the few character tags that was included in the editing kit, and applied an elite biped to it. I then made a fusion coil that has virtually no health. I placed the fusion coils in the air in H2Sapien, and made sure they were high enough so that when they hit the ground, they would explode. I edited the effect tags to spawn an elite with one point of health. The elites died from the fusion coils. Those elites would then be destroyed upon dying, causing them to spawn the character tags.

A video of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AmMfwby6fY

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Nov 10, 2011 10:58 PM    Msg. 2 of 47       
thats nice, the ability to create ACTUAL SP maps rather than me trying to simulate those things through scripts lol.

Quote: --- Original message by: adolif2
I modified halo 2's tool to allow it to compile single player scenarios. The scenarios can be modified into single player mode via a hex editor.

You can set the map to SP, main menu, shared, singleplayer shared, etc, in H2sapien.

Adding tags to the map which would normally cause the map to be excluded from the list...well...don't cause any problems.

it was certain custom kinds of tags that prevent them from the MP custom map list. since the game wasn't built for custom SP, there wouldn't be the same level of restrictions put in our way (plus, fully custom MP maps show by manually adding them to the main menu, etc)
The single player ui tags can *still* be used, as they seem to be in mainmenu.map or shared.map.
Since its compiling as a SP map, it would/should be calling the singleplayer shared map file, and that would obviously have everything needed for SP.

Try locating some AI in the singleplayer shared map, and reference them, same with pelican, because you should be able to use anything in that shared map now.

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 05:15 AM    Msg. 3 of 47       
Awesome, I've been hoping for more progress in this area.

On your original video you posted this link:
www.mediafire.com/?tg8a2004ob79jfy

Is this the latest version you are using in the new video?

Also, could you provide an overview of the steps involved (and possibly source) of your latest video? I would love to see if I can make use of any internal tags such as accessing the Shadow vehicle normally only available in SP.

Kirby, myself and a few other belong to H2MT and part of our goal is expanding H2V in all ways possible. I'm sure you have heard of the MainMenu Mod which allows us to use otherwise restricted tags online, meanwhile a modified D3D9.DLL has been released which allows a mostly superior method of bypassing and loading restricted tags in MP.

So if you have any interest in that check out:
http://www.h2mt.org/repository/index.php

In the meantime TY for providing this.
Edited by Kills_Alone on Sep 22, 2013 at 05:25 AM

adolif2

Karma changes people.

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 05:29 AM    Msg. 4 of 47       
Thank you!

You still need to use scripts.

There is something I should make note of.

I don't remember the actual script that I used (I actually made this hack/mod awhile ago, lol) but it involved using script functions such as the one for exiting cinematic mode, and the one for exiting fade mode. If you don't use them, the map starts up with a white screen (you're still able to control the player biped, but the white screen kinda gets in the way).

I lost my original tags to a failing hard drive, but I can very, very easily re-create them. I'll make sure to provide them by tonight. I'll provide the script text as well.

EDIT:

I can't use single_player_shared just yet.

I need single player versions of the multiplayer_shared_resource_database.bin and multiplayer_shared_resource_header.bin files in order to reference the map file.

And yes, that is the latest version. ;D
Edited by adolif2 on Nov 11, 2011 at 05:34 AM

Kills_Alone

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 07:04 AM    Msg. 5 of 47       
Cool that would help. I just ran a few tests:

-Included custom weapons with custom huds, no problem there.

-Remembered that objects like weapons and vehicles are placed differently in SP maps so I used H2GuerillaTST to create the appropriate palettes, created new .vehicle tag for Pelican and .weapon for the Jackal Shield. Then set each to UNUSED in the hopes this would bypass them and go to the originals (shared and/or SP). This failed to work correctly after multiple tests. I could get the Banshee (the tag it was based on) to appear but not a Pelican.

-I did check to see if Kant's app Ambiguous works with these types of SP maps and it does, Ambiguous is a Real Time Editor for H2V still in alpha stage.

-H2GuerillaTST still sees the map as an MP map (right at the top of the .scenario).

So I came to the realization that my only option may be to spawn/reference internal tags through scripts (which I can do, Kirby taught me how). And it sounds like thats what you are saying in your post above but its late now so I'm fading. If you do have the example script you mentioned that will help, I really hope this works cause I've always wanted to make my own SP type maps. I have many BSPs and other source files that want to be exploited.

adolif2

Karma changes people.

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 01:45 PM    Msg. 6 of 47       
Here is the script that I used:

(script startup mission_start
(begin
(texture_cache_flush)
(geometry_cache_flush)
(camera_set_field_of_view 70 0)
(rasterizer_bloom_override False)
(cinematic_start)
(cinematic_stop)
(camera_control False)
(switch_bsp_by_name 00a_introduction)
(fade_in 1 1 1 0)
)
)

kirby_422

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 02:25 PM    Msg. 7 of 47       
So, my AI encounter spawned using the default elite AI, but they lacked any brain (probably that ai generic tag that they are missing)

I quickly made my own copy of single_player_shared_resource_header.bin since it only references the scenario, tool had no problem with that file, but without the other file that lists the tag names it still couldn't load from the singleplayer shared.

I'll do some more tests today, but I dont even have time for this because of all my homework... oh well, some sacrifices have to be made, right?

EDIT: So, the AI will melee me, board my vehicles (they'll just kick me out, they wont drive it), dont like walking, etc... Even though its not using the singleplayer shared map, its using some kind of shared map, because i tried editing globals.globals and it didnt use my custom one.

EDIT2: message from Kant:
Quote: I am working with these "Database" files to create our own and so far is so good i am mapping out the file types to make a "Database" generator.

Also, the "Header" files are the raw header straight from the map file so you will need to hex edit all the correct info into it.

Edited by kirby_422 on Nov 11, 2011 at 03:36 PM

adolif2

Karma changes people.

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 04:32 PM    Msg. 8 of 47       
How did you get the AI to spawn? I keep filling out data in the scenario, but nothing spawns...

I don't want to resort to the fusion coil trick.

kirby_422

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 05:04 PM    Msg. 9 of 47       
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/206/10960178.png

Order and Zone/area don't seem to matter (they followed the order to go camo, but thats it)
Emitter vehicle seems to make a difference; before I connected those, they'd just stand there, after I gave them those they would melee and hijack me.

tried the script command, ai_force_active but they wouldn't move without meleeing me still.

adolif2

Karma changes people.

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 05:26 PM    Msg. 10 of 47       
I used to have the SAME problem with AI in Halo CE. It appeared to, in CE at least, be caused by lack of pathfinding data. I managed to fix it in Halo CE by marking the actor varient and actor tags as flying, but leaving the flying option unchecked in the biped tag.

I'm going to see if it works in Halo 2 Vista.

Kills_Alone

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 06:52 PM    Msg. 11 of 47       
Take care when editing 00a_introduction.scenario with H2GuerillaTST. Have a last-working backup ready before every change, I was making a simple edit (an additional placed weapon) and it corrupted the entire .scenario.

kirby_422

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 07:09 PM    Msg. 12 of 47       
I believe it always corrupts the scenario when adding .weapons around (I know it did that for me when I was first playing with H2EK (trying to script a special weapon in that I fulled controlled))

Anyways, I was renaming things in the bin folder (the multiplayer database, etc) it increased the map size, but it didn't include all my tags (I was trying to use my own custom globals.globals, but it still referanced shared.map)

Im gonna hop in the monstrmoose map making teamspeak server if either of you two want to talk.

adolif2

Karma changes people.

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 07:41 PM    Msg. 13 of 47       
@kirby_422

To replace the globals tag, back up your shared.map, and then open your current shared.map in a hex editor. Go to offset 0x94d6200. Change the text to any gibberish of your choosing, as long as it's the same size or less.

That forces it to include the globals tag during compilation.

kirby_422

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 07:50 PM    Msg. 14 of 47       
you mean to say every time I've opened shared.map in a hex editor, scrolled around looking for tag names, that I have just happened to miss this block of tag names every time?.......

adolif2

Karma changes people.

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 07:57 PM    Msg. 15 of 47       
Sorry if I offended you or anything. I just know that replacing the tag names in shared.map forces the tags to be included in your map.

EDIT:

After sniffing around in Ollydbg, it appears that the code for referencing single_player_shared.map in H2Tool is *gone.* It isn't just ignored by the program. It was removed completely.
Edited by adolif2 on Nov 11, 2011 at 08:01 PM

kirby_422

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 08:03 PM    Msg. 16 of 47       
yes, back in HCE we would edit bitmaps.map to add our own, so I had searched shared.map many many many times hoping to find that... aparently, its just very small, rawwwwrrrr....

adolif2

Karma changes people.

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 08:31 PM    Msg. 17 of 47       
Does anybody know what the four-byte value at 0x24 in the map header does?

See, I removed all data (made it zero bytes long) from the multiplayer database file. It still compiled normally.

So, I then took single_player_shared.map and renamed it to shared.map. I edited its header to try to make it pose as a normal shared.map.

The four byte value at 0x24 seems to determine whether or not the compiler can find the tag index.

EDIT:

Nvm, I found out what it is.

<Value of interest> + <Index offset> = <Primary map magic>

EDIT2:

I managed to get the ai shooting! I'll make sure to release all my tags.

EDIT3:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9or5135iab34992

Edited by adolif2 on Nov 12, 2011 at 07:48 PM

kantanomo

Look a Hermanphedite!

Posted: Nov 13, 2011 06:52 PM    Msg. 18 of 47       
Ox24 is the string id index table offset

More map information is here.

http://code.google.com/p/h2coderbase/wiki/H2VMap

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Nov 20, 2011 02:18 PM    Msg. 19 of 47       
Can you test the map online?
I know that ai_enable will appear to be disabled but that's easy to sort out. :)

Kills_Alone

Posted: Nov 20, 2011 05:01 PM    Msg. 20 of 47       
@Shock, When you say test online you mean logged into to Live and...?

---------

@adolif2, Didn't see the new edit till now, cannot wait to check the source.

EDIT: Whats with multiplayer_shared_resource_header.bin in the bin folder? Its 0 bytes and I already have that file, do I need this empty version so that the tags use an internal version or could you explain why?

I opened your updated .scenario in Sapien then went to Edit > Expert Mode and then Edit > Switch BSP ... and selected the same scenario and unlike before it loaded without complaining so I know that is a step in the right direction.

The AI Elites are refusing to fire my custom weapons, do you think this is because the weapons are not listed under globals or because of some other reason?

After I die on the map H2V crashes when trying to respawn me; this did not happen on the last release so its either something I did to the scenario (which I can check by testing your unmodified version) or something you have added.

EDIT: Tested your release and the crash definitely came with the latest scenario file. What the issue is I'm unsure.

EDIT EDIT: Replaced the other scenario tags (borrowing those parts from a Metropolis MP alpha), no crash after death so no big deal. So there was/is a problem in these tags you release, but not the scenario file.

In the scenario file under STARTING LOCATIONS there is an option called initial movement distance, you had it set to 1, I've been messing with higher values up to 999. The balloon help tip says before doing anything else, the actor will travel the given given distance in its forward direction and it really does seem to help make the elites walk around a bit, it will be easier to test on a larger map.

EDIT: Yes, these Elites are quite deadly when populated around a map in squads of five or more, if only they can be motivated to dodge a bit and charge at the player. If we set the value I mentioned just above to never run out, or even better if we could turn it on and off and if we could make the direction they move always be where a player is then we will have Elites that charge and attack while doing so.

My question then, can those values be modified from a script?
Edited by Kills_Alone on Nov 20, 2011 at 08:41 PM

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Nov 20, 2011 07:40 PM    Msg. 21 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kills_Alone
@Shock, When you say test online you mean logged into to Live and...?
Ya, kinda like what I did with those Campaign maps.

The script looks like it can work on multiplayer and while keeping AI enabled via memory edit.
(Not sure it'll work for dedicated server)
Edited by Shock120 on Nov 20, 2011 at 07:53 PM

beazt

Posted: Nov 21, 2011 11:19 AM    Msg. 22 of 47       
Kills, can you make a vid showing what exactly those elites do?
Looks like I have done right by not unistaling h2me just yet. Some cool stuff here!

kirby_422

Posted: Nov 21, 2011 12:07 PM    Msg. 23 of 47       
The AI Elites are refusing to fire my custom weapons, do you think this is because the weapons are not listed under globals or because of some other reason?

there is an area in the AI tags, that specify how they react to each weapon. Have you added all your custom weapons in?

EDIT: Yes, these Elites are quite deadly when populated around a map in squads of five or more, if only they can be motivated to dodge a bit and charge at the player. If we set the value I mentioned just above to never run out, or even better if we could turn it on and off and if we could make the direction they move always be where a player is then we will have Elites that charge and attack while doing so.

My question then, can those values be modified from a script?

(ai_berserk <ai> <boolean>)
forces a group of actors to start or stop berserking

there is cs commands for AI, but they don't take in any AI, so I am assuming its meant to be the ai_select before it, but I tried setting jump to my melee, and it didnt force any of them to jump..

When I make my stealth elites hijack my ghost, sometimes when we are facing the same direction, they will boost (only form of movement from them) and they only seem to attack me when I have my back turned (default stealth settings?)

Kills_Alone

Posted: Nov 21, 2011 04:43 PM    Msg. 24 of 47       
I'll upload a map file for anyone that wants to check out the progress, this map would (temporarily) replace 00a_introduction.map under your default maps directory under where H2V is installed (\Halo 2\maps).

EDIT: Okay here is an example AI Test map on an alpha rip of Metropolis:
http://www.h2mt.org/maps/Solo/
Edited by Kills_Alone on Sep 25, 2013 at 04:26 AM

kirby_422

Posted: Nov 21, 2011 09:36 PM    Msg. 25 of 47       
Whats everyone's status on driving vehicles? Idk if its the default setting, or the vehicle section I added to the character, but mine seem to drive warthogs backwards. Ghosts, when they are enemies' they will boost occasionally, but that's it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVfi8D__32Y

Kills_Alone

Posted: Nov 21, 2011 10:04 PM    Msg. 26 of 47       
I haven't tried putting them in vehicles yet. But what they are doing in your video is what I was describing above; they keep heading in that direction, thats why I was hoping that that value could be modified through a script so they are facing the player. The value comes from the direction they are facing when spawned, however in a vehicle I am not so sure. I may set up a test map and then use Cheat Engine or Ambiguous to Real Time Edit that facing value while they are walking to see if they alter direction.

------

There is an option where you can choose the Elite's team, I wonder if they are set to Human, will they support us and would they fight each-other if set accordingly? Guess I'll test that out.
Edited by Kills_Alone on Nov 21, 2011 at 10:26 PM

kirby_422

Posted: Nov 21, 2011 10:27 PM    Msg. 27 of 47       
yes, if you set them to player, they fight with you (watch my video.. you can see my friendly elites fighting with me against the enemy ones). The human team gets set to have a allegiance with the player team (in H1, it was a script to preform it, idk if its automatic in H2) If you want humans to fight with you, include (ai_allegiance player human) in your startup script.

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Nov 22, 2011 06:06 AM    Msg. 28 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
yes, if you set them to player, they fight with you (watch my video.. you can see my friendly elites fighting with me against the enemy ones). The human team gets set to have a allegiance with the player team (in H1, it was a script to preform it, idk if its automatic in H2) If you want humans to fight with you, include (ai_allegiance player human) in your startup script.
yes, the allegiance has to be set by script, but alternatively you can be on Yellow team for the Humans.
Or Green Team for the Covenant. :)

Here's a script example from 03a_oldmombasa
Quote: (script startup mission_main
(begin
(ai_allegiance player human)
(ai_allegiance covenant prophet)
(objectives_clear)
(if (> (player_count) 0)
(start))
)
)
Also depending on how the startup script is wrote, if it is edited well, it can work on Singleplayer and multiplayer.

I would consider removing
Quote:
(cinematic_start)
(cinematic_stop)
and replacing it with
Quote:
(cinematic_skip_stop)

Edited by Shock120 on Nov 22, 2011 at 06:13 AM
Edited by Shock120 on Nov 22, 2011 at 06:13 AM

Kills_Alone

Posted: Nov 22, 2011 08:18 AM    Msg. 29 of 47       
Okay I've been messing with friendly and enemy AI:

-An Elite sitting in the back of a Hog will use it to kill any enemy he see's (not sure if that was in your video and I missed it Kirby) rotating 360 degrees and everything.

-Too many spawned actors (characters) causes the map to not load you in your body, this could also have to do with the Startup script as Shock pointed out, I'll test that more tomorrow.

When I had two teams of Elites (one one my side, the other the enemy) they were attacking each-other but now that I have made a Spartan version I cannot figure out why the Spartan's do not attack the Elites, I copied pretty much all the tags that went into the Elite_AI tags, added a new squad, studied some existing campaign maps char and styl and still am not sure, I also added to the existing scripts to add support for the Spartans.

So if one of you sorts it out before me I'd love to have some better Spartans.

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Nov 22, 2011 08:23 AM    Msg. 30 of 47       
So if one of you sorts it out before me I'd love to have some better Spartans.
Are they enemies to each other?
Their team can be defined in the biped or the AI encounters.

Also, check out the char on http://old.halomods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=60053

Kills_Alone

Posted: Nov 22, 2011 05:41 PM    Msg. 31 of 47       
@Shock,

Cool mod/map, something like what I wanna do with my Outskirts map. Unfortunately I could not find a working .PPF file. I sent the author an e-mail asking for it so I could study the char/styl.

They should be enemies as they are setup the same as the Elite's that would battle, one team set to Covenant and the other set to Player. The Elite's are attacking the MCs, but the MC's are not returning fire.

-----

@Kirby,

when you say add the weapons to the AI tags could you be a little more specific, because when I look at the existing tags for the Elite AI they are only set up for the Carbine and Plasma Turret in another section but they seem to be able to use most default weapons, is this also affected by the character's animation? I saw that Adolif2 included an animation for the Elite AI but was unsure what if anything was modified in it.

Do I have this script setup wrong:
(script startup mission_start
(begin
(texture_cache_flush)
(geometry_cache_flush)
(camera_set_field_of_view 70 0)
(rasterizer_bloom_override False)
(camera_control False)
(switch_bsp_by_name 00a_introduction)
(fade_in 1 1 1 0)
)
)

(script continuous all_seeing_eye
(begin
(ai_magically_see_object ssquad (list_get (players) 0))
(ai_magically_see_object ssquad_02 (list_get (players) 0))
(ai_prefer_target (players) True)
)
)

The part near the end:
		(ai_prefer_target (players) True)

The original script was setup for only one squad and I am trying to add a second to it, but this line seems to tell them to only target the player? Still thats not the only problem as I tried removing Elites and just using MCs as the first squad and they still failed to attack anyone.

EDIT: Thought of one more thing, what section do I need to Hex edit in a .scenario file to make it into a Campaign map instead of an MP map? I'll be looking now, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Edited by Kills_Alone on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Nov 23, 2011 08:46 AM    Msg. 32 of 47       
Use this for reference http://old.halomods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=71366

I tested the map on multiplayer, they work as multiplayer maps too, the AI worked too, this is very impressive. :)

Also Kills Alone, see if adding "(cinematic_skip_stop)" in there would be good.
Edited by Shock120 on Nov 23, 2011 at 08:48 AM
Edited by Shock120 on Nov 23, 2011 at 08:49 AM

Kills_Alone

Posted: Nov 23, 2011 09:36 AM    Msg. 33 of 47       
TY for the link. Also, I got an error when I tried to use that command Shock (cinematic_skip_stop).

When you tested the AI in MP how did you do it? I ask because the map does not show up for me in the custom map list even when using the dll trick and when I load it from MMM the AI is gone. So if you could clarify how you did so that would help immensely.

I put together a much more interesting AI version of Outskirts today, I'd like to get the Spartan's attacking enemies before releasing a demo.

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Nov 23, 2011 12:51 PM    Msg. 34 of 47       
TY for the link. Also, I got an error when I tried to use that command Shock (cinematic_skip_stop).

When you tested the AI in MP how did you do it? I ask because the map does not show up for me in the custom map list even when using the dll trick and when I load it from MMM the AI is gone. So if you could clarify how you did so that would help immensely.

I put together a much more interesting AI version of Outskirts today, I'd like to get the Spartan's attacking enemies before releasing a demo.
Can the map still run without the mission start script?

Also, I just went ahead and did the engine change trick.
Can the arbiter/elite be chosen instead of master chief?
Edited by Shock120 on Nov 23, 2011 at 01:16 PM

leor

Posted: Nov 30, 2011 10:37 AM    Msg. 35 of 47       
Kornman gave me the old mombosa extracted scnr a while back, this could be usefull
http://i.imgur.com/BSnCQ.png
ill upload it when im home :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?5d3pm13nc2tlgjc

Yeh, props out to kornman and blam lib, also I hope you people realize we can extract some tags with blamlib!

If anyone has any idea on how to set it up without bugging kornman about it, hit me up :p
Edited by leor on Nov 30, 2011 at 02:15 PM

Edit2: ill keep testing
Ok I somehow fixed the menu problem by using this scnr, my map loads to a black screen and I cant shoot, but I was able to use the full SP ui
Edited by leor on Nov 30, 2011 at 06:03 PM

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed March 29, 2017 8:40 PM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website