A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »Creating single player maps with the map editor.

Page 2 of 2 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · Prev
Author Topic: Creating single player maps with the map editor. (47 messages, Page 2 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Nov 30, 2011 06:57 PM    Msg. 36 of 47       
Thankx for this scenario, exactly what I'm working on. Will help to study how some of the values are filled in as Entity, ADI and Gravemind cannot tell me everything I want to know.

Kirby would probably be the best to talk to about setting up blamlib, if not him there are others I can summon from my MokÚdex. Yes, if we could get even a few tags extracted that would make a huge difference in what we can do in H2V.

I've always wanted to make a new Campaign in H2V, and lately we've gotten much closer.

leor

Posted: Nov 30, 2011 08:49 PM    Msg. 37 of 47       
Ive been messing with it to no avail, they just will not move!

Kills_Alone

Posted: Nov 30, 2011 09:08 PM    Msg. 38 of 47       
Under Zones, then the sub-section Firing Positions there is a cluster index. I have all of them set to 30 but I know that is wrong, from what Kirby said the clusters are how the portals split up the map, so does your bsp have portals? This would be one reason our zones are not complete.

Now when you say they do not move do you mean they do not walk or they do not attack or what?

I will upload my source when its more complete.
Edited by Kills_Alone on Nov 30, 2011 at 09:12 PM

leor

Posted: Dec 1, 2011 12:38 PM    Msg. 39 of 47       
What exactly do you mean by portals?

Edit, its as if there are no zones for them to move, as in they do not move. (they do violently attack me)

With h2x we had another solution that was kinda BS but worked, it involved changing their idle animation to a walking one, so they would constantly move.
Edited by leor on Dec 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Kills_Alone

Posted: Dec 1, 2011 06:01 PM    Msg. 40 of 47       
If you set their initial movement distance to a value higher then 0 they will walk forward that far in the direction they were originally facing.

Thats why I mentioned to Kirby that we need a way to insert new values to their initial movement distance on the fly thru scripting. If we can make it so that they always face the players when they see the player then they would keep walking (and attacking) towards the player.

As of now they do not walk otherwise, try spawning a few in vehicles for interesting results. They will use both tanks, Ghost, Hog Turret, Human Turret. I have not tested the other vehicles nor have I been able to make them use (shoot) my custom weapons yet.

You never said what BSP you are using? Portals are setup at the BSP creation level, in 3DS Max. Here are some max source files, look through em and study how the portals are set-up, some users merge all of the portals together onto one huge mesh, I prefer to keep em separate so I can adjust them with ease. Either way is correct.

3DS Max BSP examples: http://www.h2mt.org/killsalone/data/scenarios/

Doesn't matter if you download the bitmaps as well, you can still study the portals, I suggest checking out Outskirts or Coagulation.

Also, about Portals: http://www.h2mt.org/repository/tutorials.php

So in the meantime I've been working with Kirby on scripting, we've set it up so you can play my map at day or night (bsp and sky) with the touch of a button.

-----------

Updated the AI test map, used the same link as before.

New features such as swap BSP to night-time by pressing the Flashlight button. This script and use of this feature are still being worked out but hey check it; Day & Night map :)

-Tweaked AI settings

-Extra enemies, adjusted a few spawns

-Extra friendlys, adjusted a few spawns

-Extra starting Ammos

-New random Human Air Explosion effect

http://www.h2mt.org/maps/Solo/
(Download 00a_introduction_AI_Test_Outskirts.exe)
28.4MBs compressed (57.6MBs extracted)

*7-Zip self extractor, single file
Edited by Kills_Alone on Sep 25, 2013 at 04:30 AM

leor

Posted: Dec 2, 2011 02:14 AM    Msg. 41 of 47       
Thanks on the info, im using example, since im lol terrible at 3dsmax and have had so many problems compiling maps, Im going to make one on the fashion of kirby's giant test box and see how it goes...

This is looking pretty sweet and thanks to all who've helped!

Kills_Alone

Posted: Dec 2, 2011 07:42 PM    Msg. 42 of 47       
Halo 2 Vista Multi-Player Campaign findings with Ambiguous

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To Play an AI enabled map with another player:

-Setup a match alone and start the game, we have been using the MainMenu Mod to place our test map at Slot2.

-Use Ambiguous to turn on SP engine and Co-op spawns

-Kill yourself (in-game silly), then have another player join and play. After a time the game may crash, FOR THE HOST.

Compile Map as a Single Player map or as a Multi Player? MP I think, but SP has SP menu, save states and when compiled the map file is a little larger (~0.3MBs)

On a MP compiled map:

-The clients see the MP Elite Biped instead of the SP Elites Bipeds.

-In Ambiguous the AI enabled feature may cause a crash.

On a SP compiled map:

-Both players may need to start the match together.

-With all options enabled the client crashed on join.

-With all options enabled the host refuses to count down after death timer and thus refuses to respawn.

On a SP compiled map (Hex edit version):

-When I did get both players in game it was extremely laggy (on my lan, with a ping of 1).

-At one point one player could not see the other.

-I kept having issues with the players respawning on the same team and then the game ending, isn't there an option to avoid that? Or I guess I could try loading a solo gametype.

Ambiguous can be used to change the engine at the lobby, this was after I came back from a map in play, not sure if it will work beforehand.

It is possible that the scripts on my current test map are causing the crash issues. It would be best to test next with a very plain map that only features scripting related to making the AI appear and function.

Also, Shock120 is the expert when it comes to H2V Co-op experience, that is he should know if it does crash randomly or if there are specific reasons for it.

This version of the map requires the MainMenu Mod (at least for the host), I had to remove all the scenery and crates because something there was causing connection issues. Anyways this release is just meant to test the stability of a custom Co-op experience.

Because it uses the MMM the map file must be placed in your default map directory, not the custom directory.

Ambiguous Alpha RTE: http://www.h2mt.org/tools/2_Vista/Ambiguous/

MainMenu Mod: http://www.h2mt.org/MMM

The Slot2 AI COOP Test MP map: http://www.h2mt.org/maps/Solo/MMM_Slot2_AI_COOP_TEST_MP_version.exe
Edited by Kills_Alone on Sep 25, 2013 at 04:25 AM

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Dec 21, 2011 04:07 PM    Msg. 43 of 47       
So, something that will get in the way of all AI scripts.. Encounter/Squad names seem to be purged from the map when compiled, as if I check the living ai in an encounter, it always returns 0 regardless of how many there are. This is why ai_place and command_script's weren't working previously, because those names are considered invalid. And unfortunately, the current version of Ambiguous does not show AI blocks in the scenario, so I cannot see what the issue is after it is compiled, nor can I get gravemind to work (UTF-8 text encoding stuff. I'm gonna blame this on my Japanese system Locale..)

Anyways, we need to figure out whats happening with their names, and why we can't access them, or else we won't be able to use any scripts involving AI in the future (so we won't be able to make them move via script, etc)

adolif2

Karma changes people.

Posted: Feb 3, 2012 06:22 AM    Msg. 44 of 47       
I know I'm not supposed to bump dead threads, but I've made a bit of progress on mapping out the H2Tool file in a search for finding the AI string code.

Hopefully, I'll have something out within the month. :)

Kills_Alone

Posted: Feb 3, 2012 07:20 PM    Msg. 45 of 47       
Bump away.

adolif2

Karma changes people.

Posted: Feb 4, 2012 05:21 AM    Msg. 46 of 47       
@kirby_422

Are you talking about the names that are in the scenario (after the map is compiled....in hex) or identical names that should appear elsewhere in the map file?

Because I compiled my map without any scripts and looked for the squad name. It's there.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Feb 4, 2012 02:15 PM    Msg. 47 of 47       
squad names. I made some test scripts that were meant to react to the AI in many different ways, and after those didnt work, I tried checking the ai_living_count and it would always return 0 regardless of how many there were.

Page 2 of 2 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · Prev

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat October 21, 2017 9:08 PM 719 ms.
A Halo Maps Website