A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »[APP] Map Header Converter 1.0

Author Topic: [APP] Map Header Converter 1.0 (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

adolif2

Karma changes people.

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 10:40 PM    Msg. 1 of 6       
This is a simple app that I spent the day writing. It is in its early stages, so it doesn't do very much.

What does it do?

It converts Halo 2 Vista map headers to Halo 2 Xbox map headers. This allows you to use simple, non-parsing apps like DotHalo, etc, to edit and view Halo 2 Vista maps.

It backs up your map header to a .bin file, and then restores it when you want to convert your map back to the vista format.

Apps that are known to work with converted maps:

-DotHalo
-Hek+

Apps that DON'T work:

-Any app that tries to parse the metadata, which includes almost all apps using halomap.dll

Maps that work:

-Single player maps

Maps that don't work:

-Multiplayer maps

Maps that are untested:

-All other types of maps

Download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?dv16llg7a2id5r8

It is a command line tool (for now), and syntax goes as follows:

Header.exe <switch> <map filename>

Examples:

To convert to the Xbox header format:

Header.exe /X 00a_introduction.map

To convert back to the Vista header format:

Header.exe /V 00a_introduction.map

Screenshot of me editing a Halo 2 Vista map in DotHalo:

Have fun!

EDIT:

Well, I got H2X's "ScriptTools" app working (sort of) by modifying the source code of halomap.dll.

Edited by adolif2 on Nov 16, 2011 at 04:03 AM

Shock120

Valve ftw

Posted: Nov 20, 2011 02:19 PM    Msg. 2 of 6       
I like. :D

Beatthezombie

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 12:09 PM    Msg. 3 of 6       
Does anyone still have this tool? I would like to use dothalo to modify some weapons in H2V but gravemind doesn't have the proper options. Sadly the link is dead.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 03:34 PM    Msg. 4 of 6       
Ask supersniper or twinreaper perhaps they might know

Twinreaper

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 08:12 PM    Msg. 5 of 6       
It all depends on "what kind" of modifying you are trying to do. If it is simply just some projectile or value changes, you can use Gravemind or Ambiguous to do it.

Anything to do with render_models, sounds or shaders....you cant do much except use items that are already present in the map. In order for that, the above app would have to parse the metadata of the tags and dependies and then also have to recalculate offsets and padding in the map files.

If you really want to do new weapons or vehicles, I suggest you do a map redux and add those new weapons to that.

Beatthezombie

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 09:16 PM    Msg. 6 of 6       
I've seen a tutorial for xbox to make a proper dual wielding for any weapon, which would not break the hand position for weapons like the BR or the carbine but it requires moving bone reflex which doesn't seem to be in Gravemind. I've also tried to modify the behavior (speed, resistance) of the warthog but it gets buggy when the file is modified. I haven't tried Ambiguous. I will give it a go and see if I can do it with it.

Thanks a lot!

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon September 25, 2017 1:06 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website