A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[W.I.P] Night Warfare.

Author Topic: [W.I.P] Night Warfare. (25 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Nickster5000

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 03:59 AM    Msg. 1 of 25       
Hello Halo CE Community;

I have been working on a test map called "Night Warfare" which is going to be a pitch black map in which you can see nothing. You only have night vision, flashlights, interior hallways, and if you have it: OpenSauce ODST VISR.

This will be a symmetrical map feauturing a stream in the middle, bridge going over it, 2 symmetrical bases with one exterior base, one interior garage & one interior base on each side of the map. There will also be symmetrical banshee pads with banshees, and a hidden hawk on a platform that will be hard to get to. On each cliff on each side of the map, there is a team indicator piece that will shoot eather red or blue beams, indicating which base is which. Each base will also be lit up depending on their colors (Red or blue)

Now, onto some pictures: (I will have more in the future! )
Current polies: 7,773 (Everything is set to editable poly, if I converted it to mesh which I will not do, it would be a higher count)

Layout:

(Yea I know, the steam isnt perfectly in the middle but I have ideas on how to balance this out.)

Bridge Picture 1:

Rocket Launcher Slot in the middle:

Side of the bridge: (To show the unwraps)

Front of the base:

Back of the base:

Interior Unwraps of the base:

Garage Main:

Garage at a different angle:

Enjoy! Crit and ideas will be accepted!

Edit: Click here for the forum post located on my website!
Edited by ODST_Nick on Dec 28, 2011 at 04:00 AM
Edited by ODST_Nick on Dec 28, 2011 at 04:06 AM

KingFisher

Creativity is the main element of level design.

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 04:02 AM    Msg. 2 of 25       
Looks neat! Be sure to add some rocks and trees to your terrain when you get it into Sapien. Sounds like a neat theme with night vision.

Nickster5000

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 04:03 AM    Msg. 3 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: KingFisher
Looks neat! Be sure to add some rocks and trees to your terrain when you get it into Sapien. Sounds like a neat theme with night vision.

Thanks, and will do.

Nickster5000

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 04:19 AM    Msg. 4 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: qwertyuiop15
Looks good, but I hate that grass texture. WAY too repetitive.

Yea, I did a 5 second UVW mapping job on it so it didnt look stretched. I will fix this with better UVW mapping & Guerrila editing. Besides, the maps going to be pitch black so you wont even see it XD

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 05:14 AM    Msg. 5 of 25       
I think tihs could be cool, perhaps edit the stock weapons to all have night-vision mode? :O

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 06:47 AM    Msg. 6 of 25       
This looks awesome! I've been waiting for somebody to make a night map for ages. Daytime maps are just boring, there's no real scare when somebody attacks you.

You should add in energy swords. It would be so cool to leap down behind somebody and stab them in the back, when they never even know I'm there. MUAHAHAHA!!!

Nickster5000

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 04:13 PM    Msg. 7 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates
I think tihs could be cool, perhaps edit the stock weapons to all have night-vision mode? :O

Thats what I was thinking, but I am using the weaponset I use on Celer Exile, but tweaked enough to balance out the odds, and if I miss something, then thats what beta testers are for.

Muscl3r

dont pray 4 easy lives...pray to be STRONGER MEN

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 04:15 PM    Msg. 8 of 25       
Will the weapons have full-screen night vision?

Nickster5000

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 05:14 PM    Msg. 9 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: Muscl3r
Will the weapons have full-screen night vision?

I'm unsure. If I can figure out how to do that with much guerrila tweaking, then yes. I want to make the map scary dark, but I also want the users to have some what of a way to get around.

Muscl3r

dont pray 4 easy lives...pray to be STRONGER MEN

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 08:06 PM    Msg. 10 of 25       
Ok. I was going to work on getting full screen night vision a while ago for a cancelled project but didnt have the time.

Perhaps you could do what d4rfnader did in tactical assault but with a clearer bitmap but i think it would be better to try and get the default night vision full screen.

Reaper 201

Rezurrected to Kill

Posted: Dec 30, 2011 01:39 AM    Msg. 11 of 25       
Night maps are excellent kinda like this one, http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5369
Edited by Reaper 201 on Dec 30, 2011 at 01:40 AM

LegionofShadows

The Red Pill is strong in this one.

Posted: Dec 30, 2011 01:42 AM    Msg. 12 of 25       
I'll be here as a beta-tester if you need me, Nick.

Just one thing I don't like about it at the moment: The fact that the map with a river intersecting it has been used too much before. In my opinion, its kinda bland.

Its yours, though. Do whatever ya want.

Jaz

Posted: Dec 30, 2011 12:48 PM    Msg. 13 of 25       
Oh and about the stream, it doesn't need to be perfectly in the middle because both teams will travel the same distance anyway in ctf, and in slayer, it doesn't really matter because everyone will be running around.
Unless of course you put an area in King of the Hill in the very centre of the bridge. :P

Nickster5000

Posted: Dec 30, 2011 05:07 PM    Msg. 14 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: goldkilla88

The grass is tiled very very bad. I suggest toying with the "UVW Map" modifier. It looks very good so far! Of course like LoS said, the layout is kinda overused, but its still awesome compared to other crap i've seen. (*Cough*boxmaps*Cough*)

Edit: Now that I look hard at the bases, you need to use more diversity with textures in the interior. The same texture is all over the base.
Edited by goldkilla88 on Dec 30, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I did use the UVW map modifier... made it too small... but I added new grass & made it bigger so it looks better now.

And @ more diversity, I'll go look through a few maps to find new textures to add... I was having this conflict lol.

Jaz

Posted: Dec 30, 2011 05:25 PM    Msg. 15 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODST_Nick
Quote: --- Original message by: goldkilla88

The grass is tiled very very bad. I suggest toying with the "UVW Map" modifier. It looks very good so far! Of course like LoS said, the layout is kinda overused, but its still awesome compared to other crap i've seen. (*Cough*boxmaps*Cough*)

Edit: Now that I look hard at the bases, you need to use more diversity with textures in the interior. The same texture is all over the base.
Edited by goldkilla88 on Dec 30, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I did use the UVW map modifier... made it too small... but I added new grass & made it bigger so it looks better now.

And @ more diversity, I'll go look through a few maps to find new textures to add... I was having this conflict lol.

I thought you were using OS? So shouldn't you be finding HD textures rather than getting low-quality old textures from already existing maps?

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Dec 30, 2011 07:14 PM    Msg. 16 of 25       
Quote: Current polies: 7,773 (Everything is set to editable poly, if I converted it to mesh which I will not do, it would be a higher count)
You should be looking at the tri count, that's what matters. Converting to editable mesh does not increase the number of tris halo renders.

Nickster5000

Posted: Jan 2, 2012 05:45 AM    Msg. 17 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: SlappyThePirate
Quote: Current polies: 7,773 (Everything is set to editable poly, if I converted it to mesh which I will not do, it would be a higher count)
You should be looking at the tri count, that's what matters. Converting to editable mesh does not increase the number of tris halo renders.

Where do I find the tri count stats at?

Also a small update: I have finished the model. I am fixing textures so it's a Red Team/Blue Team map, I'm adding lighting & going to portal it. I should mention it's my first time portaling *Gulp*

ReconNinja117

Used to be terrible. Probably still am.

Posted: Jan 2, 2012 01:21 PM    Msg. 18 of 25       
Idea: The weapon set should have a lot of suppressed weapons to complement the lack of visibility. Total stealth warfare.

Jaz

Posted: Jan 2, 2012 01:29 PM    Msg. 19 of 25       

Also a small update: I have finished the model. I am fixing textures so it's a Red Team/Blue Team map, I'm adding lighting & going to portal it. I should mention it's my first time portaling *Gulp*

It's so big you have to portal it? And you didn't portal RPG Islands? So... 2x the size of RPG Islands?

Nickster5000

Posted: Jan 2, 2012 02:53 PM    Msg. 20 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz

It's so big you have to portal it? And you didn't portal RPG Islands? So... 2x the size of RPG Islands?

It's recommended you portal every single map you create. It reduces lag & you can put enviromental sounds and weather conditions.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Jan 2, 2012 03:09 PM    Msg. 21 of 25       
Why the open valley for a stealth op, and not say, a city block or abandoned building?

Jaz

Posted: Jan 2, 2012 03:36 PM    Msg. 22 of 25       
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
Why the open valley for a stealth op, and not say, a city block or abandoned building?

Because it would be easy to find people in a city block or abandoned building. In an open valley, in the dark, it would be very hard to find people, and there would be massive threat from snipers. Try enabling the hugeass nighttime glitch and you'll see what I mean.

Echo77

Posted: Jan 2, 2012 03:49 PM    Msg. 23 of 25       

Because it would be easy to find people in a city block or abandoned building. In an open valley, in the dark, it would be very hard to find people, and there would be massive threat from snipers. Try enabling the hugeass nighttime glitch and you'll see what I mean.

Aye, but I meant in the way of cover and general sneakiness. A city block with lots of open windows and accessible buildings would provide plenty of oppurtunities for snipers. Overturned furniture, alleys, and back rooms would give players plenty of places to sneak around. It would be more hunter/hunted, than "This map is so big all I have to do is find a point in the middle of nowhere that no one goes to often."

Jaz

Posted: Jan 2, 2012 03:52 PM    Msg. 24 of 25       

Aye, but I meant in the way of cover and general sneakiness. A city block with lots of open windows and accessible buildings would provide plenty of oppurtunities for snipers. Overturned furniture, alleys, and back rooms would give players plenty of places to sneak around. It would be more hunter/hunted, than "This map is so big all I have to do is find a point in the middle of nowhere that no one goes to often."

Chronopolis with building interiors would be pretty awesome at nighttime. Plenty of barricades already. If a few more buildings were added, it could be very good for what you're suggesting.

Echo77

Posted: Jan 2, 2012 04:10 PM    Msg. 25 of 25       
Yaeh, something like that, with no vehicles. Maybe not pitch black, but definitely dark and dreary.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed February 26, 2020 3:13 PM 109 ms.
A Halo Maps Website