A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[WIP] Bloodlock

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: [WIP] Bloodlock (41 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jan 14, 2012 08:33 PM    Msg. 1 of 41       
I started this map last night and plan on working on it through the night. The map is similar to Bloodgulch. Tell me what you think.

I will need beta testers tonight and probably someone who can host.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Jan 14, 2012 09:06 PM    Msg. 2 of 41       
not your usual style of multiplayer map duce, i'm kind of intrested to see what you are up to
here even tho it is bloodgulch. have to admit i took a second look at the user and join date to be sure of who this was.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jan 14, 2012 09:09 PM    Msg. 3 of 41       
I'll have more recent ingame shots soon. Yea, first impression of the map does come off as lame, but all the terrain has been modeled from scratch. The map is just inspired by bloodgulch and stands alone as a totally new map. My goal is just to keep it visually similar as bloodgulch which can be more challanging than it may seem.

DeathKillsPro

Sometimes things get complialeoanef3oan3f

Posted: Jan 14, 2012 11:11 PM    Msg. 4 of 41       
It seems more like a Blood Gulch clone than inspired by the map.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jan 14, 2012 11:25 PM    Msg. 5 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeathKillsPro
It seems more like a Blood Gulch clone than inspired by the map.

There are a few differences, therefore making it NOT a clone. :)

SeL

https://twitter.com/FalldogStudio

Posted: Jan 15, 2012 12:02 AM    Msg. 6 of 41       
Is this a joke?

Duce you're way better than this :s

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jan 15, 2012 12:14 AM    Msg. 7 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: SeL
Is this a joke?

Duce you're way better than this :s

It's sad to see that not many people can appreciate the ability to replicate an art style. I rarely come across maps that stay within the same modeling style as halo 1 mp maps. Anyone can model terrain in their own unique style, and usually everytime they do it their terrain will come out different. I'm mainly talking about the technical side of the model of how all the triangles are shaped and grouped together in specific locations. Try doing this yourself, it's not as easy as it looks. The only person that I think would understand this might be Higuy. (Waits for him to come in and disagree) But anyway, I had a test earlier and I think it plays good with a few things I'll be changing. I do plan on adding some areas of water. I will be replacing the base structures with Massacre's old covie bases from our old Swampass map and even giving it a halo 1 detail level. Then I may design a forerunner structure for the large space that will still make the map asymetric but add in a few more key features I want for the red base.

Edit: I also wanted to post these renders I took right before I got it ingame.

Edited by il Duce Primo on Jan 15, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Slap Happy

Life ain't fair, buy a helmet.

Posted: Jan 15, 2012 12:21 AM    Msg. 8 of 41       
I love sarcasm . . . even in Klingon

Bobblehob

Posted: Jan 15, 2012 01:13 AM    Msg. 9 of 41       
My only worry is that the geometry of the map will lead to a imbalanced gameplay, having first a ridge and cliff, as well as a small entry and exit point would seem to me to give the team spawning in the base on the left a bit of an advantage... Please correct me if I am wrong, but I can see a large amount of camping to be done especially at that choke point.

Kozakuu

Only the person who was wisdom can read the most.

Posted: Jan 15, 2012 01:18 AM    Msg. 10 of 41       
Looks alright... It'll be interesting to see how you tackle the H1 modelling style.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 15, 2012 10:55 AM    Msg. 11 of 41       
I understand you Duce lol, you should know that since your the one that taught me to model in Halo 1 style... well, A30 anyway.

The map looks interesting, but the layout looks pretty similar to Bloodgulch, just smaller and 1 story bases I believe. Maybe change it up a bit? Hit me up when you want to beta too, I'll play.

KingFisher

Creativity is the main element of level design.

Posted: Jan 15, 2012 04:47 PM    Msg. 12 of 41       
I think it's cool that you are sticking with some older styles. Why not stay basic with an engine that is ten years old? People think that you 'have' to be detailed to make a respectable map. Why not make something fast, easy, and simple enough for what the engine was built for in the first place. It's not like people play good custom maps anymore so you have nothing to lose. But I guess it's what the artist wants to accomplish.

SeL

Posted: Jan 16, 2012 12:24 AM    Msg. 13 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo
It's sad to see that not many people can appreciate the ability to replicate an art style. I rarely come across maps that stay within the same modeling style as halo 1 mp maps. Anyone can model terrain in their own unique style, and usually everytime they do it their terrain will come out different.

Oh alright so it's the classic, "It's supposed to look bad", excuse. Alright fair enough :3

ChocolateNugget

im your #1 fan !!

Posted: Jan 16, 2012 01:04 AM    Msg. 14 of 41       
Looks like it might end up with a lot of camping from the large side of the map. Either make the smaller area larger or add some larger ways out.

KingFisher

Posted: Jan 16, 2012 01:46 AM    Msg. 15 of 41       
It's sad to see that not many people can appreciate the ability to replicate an art style. I rarely come across maps that stay within the same modeling style as halo 1 mp maps. Anyone can model terrain in their own unique style, and usually everytime they do it their terrain will come out different.

Oh alright so it's the classic, "It's supposed to look bad", excuse. Alright fair enough :3

lol, go use cryengine Sel if you like impressive looking things.

Nickster5000

Posted: Jan 16, 2012 02:58 AM    Msg. 16 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: KingFisher

lol, go use cryengine Sel if you like impressive looking things.

KingFisher

Posted: Jan 16, 2012 07:33 PM    Msg. 17 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: vampire_girl
Except Crysis looks like the inside of an old mans arse?
Kinda like this map.

I didn't know an old mans A' looks like a beautiful tropical rainforest.

Sergeant 1337

Do you even lift?

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 04:49 PM    Msg. 18 of 41       

So Bloodgulch and every other Halo CE map looks bad?

SeL

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 05:12 PM    Msg. 19 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sergeant 1337

Funny, I don't see the part where I said that because this map looks bad, all Halo CE maps must look bad.

Nickster5000

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 08:10 PM    Msg. 20 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sergeant 1337

Funny, I don't see the part where I said that because this map looks bad, all Halo CE maps must look bad.

Your comment aganst the art style says it all SeL.

And honestly, the terrain looks smooth and good. Keep up the good work duce :D
Edited by ODST_Nick on Jan 17, 2012 at 08:22 PM

KingFisher

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 11:11 PM    Msg. 21 of 41       
Just a quick question? Is the ground texture just the blood gulch one, but unwrapped so it looks natural to the level in terms of pathways?

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 09:40 PM    Msg. 22 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: KingFisher
Just a quick question? Is the ground texture just the blood gulch one, but unwrapped so it looks natural to the level in terms of pathways?

I just quickly uved the bloodgulch ground map onto it for ingaming purposes. No reason to create a new ground map when level design is still shifting around. I might try and host some more tests tonight, if anyone is interested xfire me.

ilduceprimo

LegionofShadows

The Red Pill is strong in this one.

Posted: Jan 19, 2012 01:19 AM    Msg. 23 of 41       
Me after seeing a classical made map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or-jgCKnIgA&feature=relmfu

It looks pretty good so far, a nice take on Bloodgulch. My only prob is that the team with the hill would have too much of an advantage.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jan 19, 2012 08:18 PM    Msg. 24 of 41       

I worked on the overall layout. The first main thing I did was add a cave with a staircase inside that connected walkways around main sightlines and more options from base to base. I then added a bridge walkway up to a cliff edge that drops down onto the other base cave's ledge. Following that I changed a bit of hill hights and slops to create more desirable sightlines and added in more rocks on the hill infront of red base.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jan 19, 2012 08:42 PM    Msg. 25 of 41       
Will there be snipers? Because if there is, I can see that the base with the huge field space could be very vulnerable.

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Jan 20, 2012 01:16 AM    Msg. 26 of 41       
Looks like it could be fun!

KingFisher

Posted: Jan 20, 2012 01:20 AM    Msg. 27 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Will there be snipers? Because if there is, I can see that the base with the huge field space could be very vulnerable.

Well to fix this, add more rock cover to the opened base area and virtually little or no cover to the well hidden base behind the cliff.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 09:38 AM    Msg. 28 of 41       
Looking good so far.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 04:13 PM    Msg. 29 of 41       
Just going to be posting what I have done.
-fixed up cliff geometry
-added moss in cave
-took bg bases and made them set into the ground with an upward ramp from the inside.
-added new shaders

What needs to be done:
-fix up cliff geometry
-uv cliff geometry
-set netgame equipment and overall sapien work
-portals+vehicle barrier
-uv ground

Debating to do:
-create river in the middle of level

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 04:22 PM    Msg. 30 of 41       
I like the sound of a river...

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 04:24 PM    Msg. 31 of 41       
Just going to be posting what I have done.
-fixed up cliff geometry
-added moss in cave
-took bg bases and made them set into the ground with an upward ramp from the inside.
-added new shaders

What needs to be done:
-fix up cliff geometry
-uv cliff geometry
-set netgame equipment and overall sapien work
-portals+vehicle barrier
-uv ground

Debating to do:
-create river in the middle of level

If you didn't do this, I was going to be furious. Glad you have the right mind to.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 05:20 PM    Msg. 32 of 41       
http://www.mediafire.com/?dxrxqo6jfguu2x0
There's a link to a alpha build. Come play with me on 1.09. I want to get feedback.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 05:26 PM    Msg. 33 of 41       
problem joining the server, says retrying.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 05:27 PM    Msg. 34 of 41       
Hm, if theres a problem connecting try and host yourself and Ill join.

darksoldier

Helo my friend, it's time to fight ;)

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 05:30 PM    Msg. 35 of 41       
i will coming.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue December 11, 2018 7:24 AM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website