A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »OpenSauce for HaloCE, V3.0, Released

Page 1 of 20 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 20 · Next
Author Topic: OpenSauce for HaloCE, V3.0, Released (667 messages, Page 1 of 20)
Moderators: Dennis

kornman00

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 12:20 AM    Msg. 1 of 667       
Update 2012/12/15: V3.1 announced

OpenSauce for HaloCE, V3.0.3, is released!

Only posting this news here as a courtesy. Now you can stop bugging CMT about OS info. They're only users of OS, not the developers *shakes fingers*

*leaves halomaps.org*

ATTN halomaps users: Only refer to the original article and the Halomods thread for OS for full and up to date information.

Also be sure to consult our project's wiki, as it has things such as a Getting Started page, a FAQ , and various other guides. As time goes on, more and more information will be added to the wiki. Major updates on such can be found in the Halomods thread for OS.

We also have a project Change Log for the various fixes and such in each release
Edited by kornman00 on Jan 20, 2012 at 04:21 AM
Edited by kornman00 on Feb 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Edited by kornman00 on Feb 24, 2012 at 09:54 AM
Edited by kornman00 on Feb 24, 2012 at 09:55 AM
Edited by kornman00 on Dec 15, 2012 at 08:11 PM

Nickster5000

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 12:35 AM    Msg. 2 of 667       
YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! WEOOOOOOO!!!!

Edit: FIRST! :D
Edited by ODST_Nick on Jan 18, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 12:40 AM    Msg. 3 of 667       
So this lets us do rag doll right?

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 12:50 AM    Msg. 4 of 667       
Posting the complete post out of courtesy:

Before we begin, let me start by giving you a quick tease of what OpenSauce has to offer (courtesy of the CMT guys and especially Ifafudafi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zL-xWbwbq14

^Annotations are cutoff in the embedded view^
Best viewed in HD

If you're still reading, I assume I have your continued attention. Let's see if I can keep it until the end!

First things first, what is OpenSauce (abbreviated as OS)? OS is an open source project aimed at extending and interfacing with the Halo games and their data. What does that mean for HaloCE (ie, Custom Edition, the only true "CE", that Combat Evolved marketing bs can GTFO)? For HaloCE we've made DLLs which contain custom code which is hooked into the engine code in both the runtime (ie, haloce.exe or haloceded.exe) and the various Halo Editing Kit programs (eg, tool.exe). The custom code in these DLLs is how we extend the functionality of this 10+ year old engine.

These engine extensions benefit developers, modders, and gamers alike. If you're a code developer, we're open source so you continue the practice of extending the engine. If you're a modder, we've added additional features to the engine which you can take advantage of in the HEK. If you're a gamer, not only do you get to play the content the former two produce, but you also get some settings of your own to tinker around with via our in-game menus.

What kind of extensions exactly? Well as you saw in the teaser video, we've built on the engine's existing rendering code to allow normal mapping and phong-based specular highlighting on dynamic objects. Beforehand, you could only apply normal mapping to static world geometry and game had no support for phong highlighting at all. Additional GFX enhancements include things like postprocess shaders. Such shader enhancements are how CMT does their VISR mode in their upcoming SPv3 release of Truth & Reconciliation. P.S. you can thank TheFieryScythe for most of the GFX enhancements, plus some behind-the-scenes systems. Sure made my life easier!

Prepare to Normal Map!

I can't believe it's not VISOR!

The game enhancements don't stop at the GFX layer either. We've worked to expose new script functions/globals and tag groups to help make campaign and multiplayer maps that much more tweakable by modders. With the new script functions and globals you can do things like tweak the game's gravity. Modders aren't the only ones who can take advantage of some of these script functions. Eg, anyone can activate the in-game console and type in "physics_set_gravity 0.5", and the current game will have half the normal gravity! Sure, you could turn on cheat_super_jump, but that only makes you jump higher. It doesn't make objects stay in the air or go farther when pushed, etc. If I wasn't so tied of mucking with this engine, I myself could probably spend a couple of days re-playing the campaign with various different gravity settings!
Note: for those of you who do try to do this, some parts of the campaign won't work. Eg, you know how a pelican flies in and drops troops off in T&R's hanger? Well Bungie did this using their "recorded animation" system. This basically plays back control input (moving, looking, jumping, etc). So changes in gravity will greatly affect how the "recored animations" play back.

I could go on, but you're better off checking out the various documentation entries we have for Halo1 in our project's wiki. If you're just a casual HaloCE gamer, you're best off checking out the Getting Started and User Settings entries. Please note that our documentation is continuously being updated based on user feedback and questions. The best way to comment on our wiki articles is to use the comment box found at the bottom of each article.

All bug reports should be posted to our Issues page. If posted anywhere else, they will be ignored and/or deleted. If you really want us to fix our crap, fill out an issue slip.

Note: We're not taking feature requests. We will only take bug reports which, again, must be submitted via the projects Issues system. All other comments can be posted to this article, or in the OpenSauce for HaloCE thread here on Halomods.

OpenSauce for Halo1_CE is developed by Kornner Studios, with code contributions from ChokingVictim. Special thanks to CMT for internal testing efforts. Extra special thanks to Bungie (esp. 'ROGR') for putting up with Halo game after Halo game for over 10 years.

Download here: http://code.google.com/p/open-sauce/downloads/detail?name=Halo1_CE_20120117.7z&can=2&q=

Special thanks to Lodeman for posting on Halomaps for us! ;-D

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 12:53 AM    Msg. 5 of 667       
It crashed upon installing Directx for me.

E: Oh and I'm on drive E, not C, so that might be the problem, maybe? OS never asked me to find a drive.
Edited by Jaz on Jan 18, 2012 at 12:55 AM

TM_updates

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 12:59 AM    Msg. 6 of 667       
Fill in one of them issue forms then Jaz!
E: I'll test to see if it now works for azerty keyboards this evening :)
Edited by TM_updates on Jan 18, 2012 at 01:00 AM

Jaz

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:02 AM    Msg. 7 of 667       
Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates

Weird. I was about to fill in an issue slip, but then as I was getting the exception report, the installer popped up to say it had finished. And it worked just after I turned xfire on! Very strange.

TM_updates

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:04 AM    Msg. 8 of 667       
Odd indeed, I thought it was supposed to work WITHOUT xfire. Oh well, good for you! :)

Masters1337

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:05 AM    Msg. 9 of 667       
I can't stress this enough YOU SHOULD HAVE XFIRE FULLY SHUT DOWN!!! THIS MEANS GOING INTO TASK MANAGER AND MAKING SURE THERE IS NOTHING RUNNING, BECAYSE EXITING THE APP DOES NOT FULLY CLOSE IT

Nickster5000

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:06 AM    Msg. 10 of 667       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz
Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates

Weird. I was about to fill in an issue slip, but then as I was getting the exception report, the installer popped up to say it had finished. And it worked just after I turned xfire on! Very strange.

Xfire & OS dont work together. If you have the Dll korn said in your CE folder & xfire enabled,
CE will continue to crash on startup. It'll eventually work, but ingame wont work. If you use xfire in a social plugin (Raptr, pidgin, etc.) then CE will still run with those on, but again, no ingame.

Jaz

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:21 AM    Msg. 11 of 667       
OS works fine for me after installing while Xfire was on. I'm not running Xfire while actually running the game though.
It's just that I accidentally turned it on when running the installer, and yet it worked.

iHalo

Modeling ::Royal Carribean's Oasis of the Seas::

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:25 AM    Msg. 12 of 667       

This is ingame CE? Damn, major props! Looking Nice.

Masters1337

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:29 AM    Msg. 13 of 667       
OS works fine for me after installing while Xfire was on. I'm not running Xfire while actually running the game though.
It's just that I accidentally turned it on when running the installer, and yet it worked.

Well that's why

Jaz

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:29 AM    Msg. 14 of 667       
Quote: --- Original message by: iHalo
http://kornnersoftware.com/yelo/halo1/2012_01_17/prepare_to_normal_map.png

This is ingame CE? Damn, major props! Looking Nice.

That's ingame CMT SPV3. OS on it's own without being applied to a map looks pretty dull.

So I can't wait until SPV3 comes out with the full set of shader changes!

Dr490nbr347h

Stealin yer Cookies.

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:38 AM    Msg. 15 of 667       
GFX Enhancement's and FOV Changing?

Jaz

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:42 AM    Msg. 16 of 667       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dr490nbr347h
GFX Enhancement's and FOV Changing?

Yeah, basically just that. Motion blur's pretty good. FXAA's a little glitchy but that might be because I enabled dynamic rendering?
Concerning the FOV,
Should I get a common FOV for my resolution and just add it as a decimal? The FOV count is 1."", rather than just the FOV itself straight away without any decimals. I've never manually inserted a FOV before so I'm confused as to how to set a FOV.

E: Oh, and CMT, release SPV3 soon please. I want to see map-applied graphics changes. ;D
Edited by Jaz on Jan 18, 2012 at 01:44 AM

Dr490nbr347h

Stealin yer Cookies.

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:43 AM    Msg. 17 of 667       
Er.. So you can? I was asking how to :P

Jaz

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:45 AM    Msg. 18 of 667       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dr490nbr347h
Er.. So you can? I was asking how to :P

My Documents\My Games\Halo CE\OpenSauce
Start with
OS_Settings.User

Open it with notepad or wordpad. Settings are pretty simple to understand. Unless of course you have no idea what shaders are, in which case you should probably just leave it alone for now.

Masters1337

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 02:06 AM    Msg. 19 of 667       
Anyone who installs OS should know your debug, tag dump, and all other txt files generated by the tools are deposited to my games\halo ce\opensauce\reports

LegionofShadows

The Red Pill is strong in this one.

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 03:11 AM    Msg. 20 of 667       
This is me after seeing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB4ydgcvXgk

General Okar

I hate this place

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 05:56 AM    Msg. 21 of 667       
Now with this and SPV3 I can trick all my friends into thinking this is the Halo 4 Beta!

LegionofShadows

The Red Pill is strong in this one.

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 06:52 AM    Msg. 22 of 667       
Yes, Nick. I am a pair of middle aged men reciting a song with their mouthes.

Boo!

Masters1337

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 08:29 AM    Msg. 23 of 667       
Quote: --- Original message by: qwertyuiop15
Quote: --- Original message by: Private Caboose
So will this work for CE 1.09?
It only works for 1.09 afaik.

Also, why exactly doesn't OS work with Xfire Ingame? I could probably get the Xfire admins to fix this.

It's the way it hooks into the game. According to Kornman this won't change unless they do a massive overhaul of xfire. Best of luck though.
Edited by Masters1337 on Jan 18, 2012 at 01:20 PM

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 09:10 AM    Msg. 24 of 667       
Nice to see this released. I'm not a coder but I'll definitely look into it. It would definitely be better if it supported xFire as it's the most common web messenger in the community. One of the question I have laying; if I make a map OS supported, will it be backwards compatible? I wouldn't want to restrict player base. So basically, can player with and without OS be on the same map, same server and play seamlessly?

DarkLord0912

Works on bigger and better things

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 12:26 PM    Msg. 25 of 667       
Thankyou kornman and firescythe

Jaz

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 12:53 PM    Msg. 26 of 667       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Quote: --- Original message by: qwertyuiop15
Quote: --- Original message by: Private Caboose
So will this work for CE 1.09?
It only works for 1.09 afaik.

Also, why exactly doesn't OS work with Xfire Ingame? I could probably get the Xfire admins to fix this.

It's the way it hooks into the game. According to Koran this won't change unless they do a massive overhaul of xfire. Best of luck though.

As noted in my greatly ignored suggestion on the xfire forums;Proxy.

Zenzarxus

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:08 PM    Msg. 27 of 667       
When I saw this, I went into severe shock and perished from korny awesomeness.

Jaz

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:15 PM    Msg. 28 of 667       
Is it possible to get this to work with regular Halo? Otherwise I'm gonna hate going on to my favourite zombies server on regular Halo, without OS goodness. D:

Masters1337

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:23 PM    Msg. 29 of 667       
Quote: --- Original message by: OpsY
Nice to see this released. I'm not a coder but I'll definitely look into it. It would definitely be better if it supported xFire as it's the most common web messenger in the community. One of the question I have laying; if I make a map OS supported, will it be backwards compatible? I wouldn't want to restrict player base. So basically, can player with and without OS be on the same map, same server and play seamlessly?

Xfire is one of the worst messengers out there. Xfire is a poorly coded and executed program, thats why it won't work. There's nothing korn can do about it.

If you make a map, as long as you don't compile it as a .yelo file it should be backwards compatible, as long as there is the proper padding in the scripts. Of course depending on what you do, there are exceptions to this rule, and maps should be tested. Installing OS does not hinder your ability to play on public servers.

Is it possible to get this to work with regular Halo? Otherwise I'm gonna hate going on to my favourite zombies server on regular Halo, without OS goodness. D:

Just install it and you will be able to play as you normally do. Maps that take advantage of this will eventually trickle out, and in the meantime you can take advantage of new console commands as well as FOV, HUD scaling, and weapon placement. Those can be accessed through on of the function keys, either f4, f5, or f6. I forget which.
Edited by Masters1337 on Jan 18, 2012 at 01:26 PM

TM_updates

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:28 PM    Msg. 30 of 667       
Xfire works well and does exactly what it says it does + works combined with all sorts of other programs and games that use Direct X etc. If xfire hooks into games in a bad way (the same way OS does according to many posts) the same can be said of OS's way of hooking into halo.

As for me, the installer won't install due to an old version. Is there an uninstaller available or a quick way to uninstall it? Else I don't think I'll bother testing to see if it works on azerty keyboards now :o

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:29 PM    Msg. 31 of 667       
You can run xfire with it... but if you are, you need to go into your settings and make sure xfire completley disregards everything about your halo ce and halo pc.

Masters1337

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:30 PM    Msg. 32 of 667       
Lodex, it should be available to uninstall through control panel/add remove programs

TM_updates

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:46 PM    Msg. 33 of 667       
Got it installed, the FOV works now! :)
However Kornman did not take the feedback concerning azerty keyboards as I cannot access any of the f1-f4 buttons etc. Furthermore alt-tabbing out of halo and going back in also doesn't work anymore...

Hoping for a fix soon!

Jaz

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 01:53 PM    Msg. 34 of 667       
I just got FOV working too. Turns out 90's the best FOV for me. Looks awesome. And the FXAA is extremely well done. A lot less laggy than normal FXAA but ever so slightly less detailed, which is a worthy sacrifice.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 02:46 PM    Msg. 35 of 667       
good to see you guys did this for the game, what is the difference between this 3.0 version
and the version that was apparently leaked?

Page 1 of 20 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 20 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri January 17, 2020 8:03 AM 312 ms.
A Halo Maps Website