A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »How difficult is it to port a Halo 1 map to Halo 2 Vista?

Author Topic: How difficult is it to port a Halo 1 map to Halo 2 Vista? (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Jon God

Posted: Jan 31, 2012 06:07 PM    Msg. 1 of 5       
I was looking through the maps here for Halo 2 Vista, and was seeing a good amount of Halo CE->Halo 2 ports.

One map I think would fit pretty well into Halo 2, is Cityscape. Having not ever touched Halo modding and played Halo primarily on Xbox, I was wondering how difficult that would be.

-JG

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Feb 1, 2012 04:50 PM    Msg. 2 of 5       
Sure it could be done, the lighting would depend on proper portals. The map itself is large but some of its details are a bit weak.

I have ported quite a few maps but have slowed down as not enough players are into custom maps. We, the mappers, can spend weeks or months on a single map but the average player cannot wait ~10-15 minutes (at most) to download a new map, they just complain and whine and tend to blame their slow download on our lightning fast servers.

On CE players know that they have to download a map externally (from the game), but in H2V since they can download in-game most players do not even know where to place a downloaded map.

Nonetheless; if there were still more players that appreciated the work and wanted to play on new maps with new weapons I'd port this map as well.

Jon God

Posted: Feb 4, 2012 06:24 AM    Msg. 3 of 5       
Well, if you ever decide to, let me know. It's been a dream to play that map in Halo 2, for a long while (Being that it's as close as I will get to playing that e3 demo....)

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Feb 4, 2012 06:49 PM    Msg. 4 of 5       
I know what you mean, that H2 E3 Demo was the slick. If I could get my grubby mitts on that map you better believe I would have ported it by now.

At one point I was going to attach all decent Mombasa related BSPs into one mega-BSP with a Hub or two near the center. Unfortunately the engine can only handle so much. Well, I can put a lot more polys in a map then recommended but do not expect that BSP to have any special lighting.

The map you are pointing out here would probably light well enough, the tricky part can be dealing with any BSP errors that pop up upon import to 3DS Max.

From that same video I have recreated the H2 XBR55; a one shot (only on zoom) Battle Rifle. It has more range and a greater zoom distance, while the lens is orange to help differentiate it from the standard BR. The zoomed single shot does less damage but is capable of firing on a foe from a much greater distance. The un-zoomed does the same as the standard BR in a three shot burst.

Jon God

Posted: Feb 5, 2012 04:25 AM    Msg. 5 of 5       
City Scape was basically as close as you will get to that e3 Demo short of storming Bungie's HQ. :D

There's 2 versions of it, if I remember right. One is like a perfect recreation of the e3 video, the other is something else.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed March 29, 2017 8:42 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website