A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista General Discussion »Worth buying? Do people still play online? Descent mod base?

Author Topic: Worth buying? Do people still play online? Descent mod base? (17 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

TomDuffus

Posted: Feb 5, 2012 07:49 AM    Msg. 1 of 17       
Basic questions- 10 is a lot to shell out on a game that doesn't have a good online community, such as mods and players online- so i'm just making sure that it does before I buy it?

TL;DR

Should I buy Halo 2 Vista? Is there still an active playerbase/community? Thanks!

Zenzarxus

Posted: Feb 5, 2012 12:10 PM    Msg. 2 of 17       
Someone else asked this, and to be honest, I'm sorry I said yes. No, it's a terrible buy, please don't. I started playing the other day and the player base is even lower than it was to begin with, which is about 10 people at one time.

milkkookie

:)

Posted: Feb 5, 2012 02:36 PM    Msg. 3 of 17       
there is 5 server at the most that have enough players to play. and the top 2 servers that have enough players are ctf and ppl just camp with tanks all day and the controls with the mouse suck . since i bought it 6 months ago I've only played it 3 times because of how easily it got me bored and the windows live updates suck. single player was boring and "cartoony", but 10$ is not a lot of money so if you are curious of how bad it is just buy it.
Edited by milkkookie on Feb 5, 2012 at 02:40 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Feb 5, 2012 02:45 PM    Msg. 4 of 17       
I only bought it because I don't have an xbox to play H2 on. So I bought H2V so I could actually play it.

Unless you have other means to playing Halo 2, (Xbox), I suggest that you don't buy it.

TomDuffus

Posted: Feb 5, 2012 06:20 PM    Msg. 5 of 17       
I dont have an xbox- I've never played through the Halo 2 campaign so maybe it wouldn't be a totally wasted buy. About a year ago my friend was on Halo 2 vista and his multiplayer experience didn't seem too bad, but if the community has gone down significantly since then maybe I shouldn't get it after all.

Spartan314

Posted: Feb 6, 2012 01:18 AM    Msg. 6 of 17       
Well, if you've NEVER played it before, then I suggest you buy it.
After beating it once, I'm still working on getting achievements. It's the only thing that attaches me to keep playing the game.

TomDuffus

Posted: Feb 6, 2012 10:56 AM    Msg. 7 of 17       
so there really is no online playerbase at all? That really sucks. Do any of you use that virtual lan thing, I forget what it's called. Himatchi or something? Or Tungle? Is there anyone playing there?

Spartan314

Posted: Feb 6, 2012 01:57 PM    Msg. 8 of 17       
I don't know, because I haven't played online in a while..

And a word of caution. If you xfire, xfire doesn't work with H2V Live. So if you wanna play online, you gotta have xfire turned off.
Edited by Spartan314 on Feb 6, 2012 at 01:57 PM

Dr490nbr347h

Stealin yer Cookies.

Posted: Feb 15, 2012 03:38 AM    Msg. 9 of 17       
Really? I use Xfire just fine with H2V. Not that I get In-game working, But it still logs hours, And Online works just fine.

Oh, And get used to being spawn raped by tank noobs on Coagulation.

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Feb 15, 2012 04:39 AM    Msg. 10 of 17       
I always find people to play with online, and then I kill them.

If you do not want to get Tank raped then control the Rockets, your own Tank, a Gauss Hog or two, four to six nades, Banshee, Ghost, Sniper, or just board it and set a nade or bash em to death.

Also, a Tank facing backwards can take up to three enemy Tank shots to kill, use this advantage to dominate another Tank or Hogs.

A Tank is not as hard to defeat as some would say....or you could always, I don't know, not play on a server labeled 24/7 Tanks.

Dr490nbr347h

Stealin yer Cookies.

Posted: Feb 15, 2012 05:03 AM    Msg. 11 of 17       
It's funny, Because I can't go 2 steps without getting killed.

I would play on a different server...but as anyone will tell you, What was that? Oh, that's right. 24/7 Tank Coagulation servers are the only ones that have a decent amount of people on them.

Kills_Alone

Posted: Feb 15, 2012 06:26 PM    Msg. 12 of 17       
All you do is go to (enter then leave) a few servers first to populate your players list then enter the dedicated server you want to play on and invite away, as long as you can get a few players it will fill in pretty soon after.

And again, if you do not want to get Tank raped you MUST control the Rockets and your own Tank, simple as that. So instead of joining the game half way through try to join right at the beginning so you have a chance to control Rox and Tank. I had 120 kills and 17 deaths the other night and I didn't touch the Tank, but I did protect it with Rox from enemy vehicles.

Kills_Alone

Posted: Feb 16, 2012 06:16 PM    Msg. 13 of 17       
Okay pretty much the entire post above this one makes no sense. NO-ONE has ever gotten a virus from a in-game downloaded H2V .map file (nor an externally download one, though that is always a possibility with a .Zip type container), it does not require some third party hack to play or download custom maps. You really should not be putting this completely incorrect information into other players minds.

If you want to own in H2V you need mean BR skills; not constant reliance on a power weapon.

The fact that you can only last on minute in a game shows you don't know how to play. I don't know how you would survive longer in CE as most of the same tactics apply.

Xoronatus

Taking a break

Posted: Mar 5, 2012 12:53 AM    Msg. 14 of 17       
Over the past months I have seen an increase in players. These days you can usually pick between about 3 to 6 decently populated servers at any given time.

Jon God

Posted: May 4, 2012 04:11 AM    Msg. 15 of 17       
I try to play each morning, if I can.

I got the game some months ago, but only started playing it since I got a 360 controller a few days ago.

Muscl3r

dont pray 4 easy lives...pray to be STRONGER MEN

Posted: May 7, 2012 03:14 AM    Msg. 16 of 17       
H2 online sucks if you do not have a controller. I played it for a bit and just got sick of it with a mouse. Halo 1 is a much better buy. I only bought Halo 2 for the campaign and so i could have a marathon through all the Halo games.

Xoronatus

Taking a break

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 04:01 AM    Msg. 17 of 17       
I saw this video that says you can get it free and is according to the guy in the video; legal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D26Qf9Ngy-I
Edited by Xoronatus on May 19, 2013 at 02:47 AM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed December 12, 2018 9:54 PM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website