A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Tips and Tricks Video Tutorials by il Duce Primo

Author Topic: Tips and Tricks Video Tutorials by il Duce Primo (24 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Feb 7, 2012 12:46 AM    Msg. 1 of 24       
So I decided to create a bunch of short video tutorials covering all wide ranges of map making explaining the tools and methods I use to create my levels. I will be covering practices that rarely get used in map making because not many people know how to do them properly. The biggest topic will be portals. I already recorded a portal tutorial twice but did not like the way it turned out. Instead I quickly did this tutorial on terrain and organic modeling. It covers a few tools I highly use in my arsenal.

Well heres the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR3RM37lJP8&hd=1

I hope you enjoy it and learn something out of it. Please comment and tell me what you learned specifically to help me better understand where people in the community are.

ALso, please make some suggestions on maybe how to do something. I'll be happy to make a video of it if I know how.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Feb 7, 2012 01:12 AM    Msg. 2 of 24       
good stuff duce, i watched it and thought yeah i know all all this,
but watched it again, the dividing up of the polys after using the cap tool was handy to know.
before i would have only used the cap on a flat area, now i see it is useful for manipulating for terrain.

Edited by ally on Feb 7, 2012 at 01:12 AM

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Feb 7, 2012 01:17 AM    Msg. 3 of 24       
I learnt the same stuff as ally basically, although I knew this from Higuy, who I think learnt it from you! :)

Propast

Posted: Feb 7, 2012 01:40 AM    Msg. 4 of 24       
Thank you for the tutorial, helped me learn about using the cap tool.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Feb 7, 2012 02:36 PM    Msg. 5 of 24       
Duce is very good at what he does, and I've learned alot from him. I'm looking forward to that portal tutorial as well.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 01:09 AM    Msg. 6 of 24       
Well I did a fifth recording tonight of the portaling tutorial. I still forgot to mention one bit I would have liked to say. But anyway heres the link to the portaling tutorial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqHn4pcyZLU

The one thing I forgot to mention was. When you drag down the square edges to form the full enclosed grid of cubes. You'll want to delete one side of each of the polys that were dragged down because when shifting down it actually created a double sided polygon. To solve this just check the dont select backfacing or w/e its called and select from one side of the grid and delete and do it once for the other direction of faces.

Same thing as last time, please comment on what you learned or maybe I lacked in explaining. I am more than happy to do another recording that has a better explaination.

Also, please ask for tutorials. I want to make tutorials for people here. I want new members to have even more resources than I had when starting.

Nickster5000

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 01:34 AM    Msg. 7 of 24       
Nice tutorials duce...

I thought your name was pronounced "asle doose primo" not "il du-she primo" haha.

But seriously, nice tutorials.

E. Are you going to make any Exact portaling tutorials?
Edited by ODST_Nick on Feb 8, 2012 at 01:41 AM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 02:00 AM    Msg. 8 of 24       
I thought it was il doo -say primo

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 10:54 AM    Msg. 9 of 24       
Haha, no it's pronounced doo- che.

Yea I have plans of doing an exact portal tutorial which would also include the rest of the portal types such as sound and weather. I also have plans to do a cliff uving tutorial.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 06:11 PM    Msg. 10 of 24       
I was fooled too! I believed in ''heel doos preemo''

anyway, nice tutorials I watched them both. You should upload them to Halomaps so that they never disepear when this topic dies. Also, you've covered +portals which so many people have trouble with I believe covering +exactportal would be good too. It adds alot to maps, especially when there are important interior segments.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 08:49 PM    Msg. 11 of 24       
I will in the near future properly set them up to upload to Halomaps, maybe even rerecord some. I do plan on making an exact portal tutorial which hopefully I can include information on weather and sound portals.

I also will make a rock and cliff modeling tutorial with also properly uvunwrapping them.

If anyone is curious about questions about workflow please speak up. Or if youre curious to how something should be done and you think maybe you spend way too long doing something. I'm doing this for you. Tell me!

Xoronatus

Taking a break

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 11:54 PM    Msg. 12 of 24       
Why do you need so many planes, couldn't you just make a big box that encloses your map and call it a +portal and that's it?

So when I make this grid box, that means that everything enclosed in all of those little overlapping planes is rendered, while everything else isn't such as all of that stuff in the black circles?

Because that river and that tree as well as the grass on the left side of Tutorial map are outside of the portal grid, none of those will be visible despite the polygons having been modeled and there will be an invisible wall that won't let you walk over there right?

Wolf_

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 05:50 AM    Msg. 13 of 24       
Clusters the player can see is what is rendered, all the portals you don't see isnt rendered, the black stuff would render as well if it were a part of the skybox. But as single clusters. Also, am guessing a portal plane only sets a height barrier, you would still need playerclips to stop people from going to the river or the tree. However they would still render as long as you see it. You should enclose the whole map in portals though. It doesn't need to be grid-like either.

(Basic)(Oh and the white at the lower base should be yellow:P)

This is how I would do it. A bit messy using your picture(But it works)
White is Terrain-Portals, some portals are outside map(Those outside should be deleted)(Also the brown is the skybox (Cliff edge) in this picture)
Yellow is Exact-portals
Grey is Playerclip

Try keeping it clean, like not too many portals, so it's easy to maneuver. Also, a terrain-portal can't intersect a exact portal. In the tutorial map(That you so kindly painted out) You enclose the base in one single cluster, and then use exact portals within that cluster in the base hallways.
Edited by Wolf_ on Feb 9, 2012 at 05:53 AM
Edited by Wolf_ on Feb 9, 2012 at 06:06 AM
Edited by Wolf_ on Feb 9, 2012 at 06:07 AM

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 06:18 AM    Msg. 14 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: Xoronatus
Why do you need so many planes, couldn't you just make a big box that encloses your map and call it a +portal and that's it?

So when I make this grid box, that means that everything enclosed in all of those little overlapping planes is rendered, while everything else isn't such as all of that stuff in the black circles?

Because that river and that tree as well as the grass on the left side of Tutorial map are outside of the portal grid, none of those will be visible despite the polygons having been modeled and there will be an invisible wall that won't let you walk over there right?

Portals divide the map into chunks. If the player can't see something in the map when there in one chunk, the chunks he cannot see are not rendered. It makes the map much more efficient for rendering things since it wont be rendering everything.

God_Man

UMAD!

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 11:08 AM    Msg. 15 of 24       
I notice every portal tutorial is only +portal method,how come noboby ever covers +exactportals?

I find them alot more difficult.

Xoronatus

Taking a break

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 08:47 PM    Msg. 16 of 24       
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtwt7ee5Eew#t=0m24
So that means that none of the polygons or textures including the marine AI behind the player are rendered while he is faced towards those covenant, the stuff that isn't on screen is not being rendered by his computer because it is not visible on screen. But of course the AI processes are still active, even if not physically rendered. Right?

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 12, 2012 08:19 PM    Msg. 17 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: God_Man
I notice every portal tutorial is only +portal method,how come noboby ever covers +exactportals?

I find them alot more difficult.

More difficult, yes. Better? I'd say yes too. Especially if you're using interior alot. +Exactportals must follow the level geometry. Best is to use editable mesh, create a face that blocks completely one of your corridors and then detach to another object, I call mine portaltoadd. One thing important to note is your exactportal should face where the player is more likely to be coming from. Also, one thing people have alot of trouble with is the distance and the amount of exactportals required to have the engine render properly. If you were to model a base with 2 entrances, 6 rooms and 10 corridors, you couldn't simply exactportal the two entrance. You would need to also, depending how far apart everything is, portal every room and if possible, the corridors. Point is, you Need a certain density of exact portals for them to render accurately.

Therefore, Exact Portalling will require a lot of testing. The best way I found is, in Sapien, toggling rasterizer_wireframe 1. This allows you to see how the game renders you level from any point of view. This allows, for example, to test whether from inside one of the room the skybox is still rendered ( which it shouldn't, in most cases since tool automatically would give it a sky index of -1 to consider it ''inside'').

Now I could explain a lot in text format here but most people won't understand most of it so I guess we'll be eagerly waiting for Dou ce Primo's video. Feel free to correct me or to add to my ''Speculation'' if I made any mistake, I haven't slept in 4 days so I might be getting a bit incoherent ;)

Nickster5000

Posted: Feb 12, 2012 10:19 PM    Msg. 18 of 24       
+exactportals are a piece of cake.

I portaled my map for the first time, and they got ingame, no problems.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 14, 2012 03:03 PM    Msg. 19 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODST_Nick
+exactportals are a piece of cake.

I portaled my map for the first time, and they got ingame, no problems.

Exact portals hardly crash any map. Most people have trouble with them hence why I posted a part of my own documentation to help people navigate and debug their portals. I'm sure you find some of this useful too.

Nickster5000

Posted: Feb 20, 2012 11:57 PM    Msg. 20 of 24       
I have a question. I've filmed my own tutorial, and I just recently recorded a tutorial on fixing open edges. It's 5 minutes and a second long, and I look at the file size. 818 MB's?!!?!? That's giant!!! is there any settings I can adjust so that the films are a bit lower quality, but still viewable & alot less size. Thanks for the help.

Xoronatus

Taking a break

Posted: Feb 21, 2012 08:50 PM    Msg. 21 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODST_Nick
I have a question. I've filmed my own tutorial, and I just recently recorded a tutorial on fixing open edges. It's 5 minutes and a second long, and I look at the file size. 818 MB's?!!?!? That's giant!!! is there any settings I can adjust so that the films are a bit lower quality, but still viewable & alot less size. Thanks for the help.

You could compress it in windows movie maker. just put it in and save it. or you could do the whole virtualdub xvid codec thing, but wmm is easier.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Feb 21, 2012 09:47 PM    Msg. 22 of 24       
What program did you record with? and what format is the 818mb file?

Nickster5000

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 03:56 AM    Msg. 23 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
What program did you record with? and what format is the 818mb file?

Forgot the program, (I think hypercam or something like that), and .avi

Nickster5000

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 04:50 PM    Msg. 24 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tiel
what's your screen rez?

My monitor? 1900x1200 pixels

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu April 27, 2017 4:35 PM 265 ms.
A Halo Maps Website