A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo 3 models, could need some help

Author Topic: Halo 3 models, could need some help (18 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Putte08

Posted: Feb 7, 2012 03:17 PM    Msg. 1 of 18       
Hi guys. I've been ripping out some Halo 3 and ODST models lately that I'm going to use for a project I'm working on. The annoying thing is when you rip out the models the textures don't come along, so you've got to find them and add them yourself.
But it seems like I'm way too noob to find the right texture for the model, and sometimes when I add the right texture it just becomes crap. I guess I'm doing something wrong.

Is there anyone here who's good with adding textures to models? If someone here is, then it shouldn't be hard helping me out. I can always rip some models and textures to whoever helps me out, if he wants to.

Here's a texture-less space tether you can look on. It doesn't like being un-textured.

Sprinkle

Posted: Feb 7, 2012 05:22 PM    Msg. 2 of 18       
There's no make awesome map button, sorry.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Feb 7, 2012 10:14 PM    Msg. 3 of 18       
ripzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Putte08

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 01:28 PM    Msg. 4 of 18       
Sprinkle, how is that relevant to anything I said? I'm asking for help when it comes to textures, not creating an awesome map.
I posted here because this community knows a lot about Halo. Isn't there anyone who could help me out? It would really be appreciated.
Edited by Putte08 on Feb 8, 2012 at 01:30 PM

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 01:43 PM    Msg. 5 of 18       
do you need help with texturing techniques,
as in different ways to manipulate the texture so that it fits the area
properly?

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 03:23 PM    Msg. 6 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: ally
do you need help with texturing techniques,
as in different ways to manipulate the texture so that it fits the area
properly?

He's asking for people to help assign materials in 3ds max.

Don't be daft. wrap your shaft

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 02:09 AM    Msg. 7 of 18       
the hek tutorial tells you how to do this somewhere

Putte08

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 11:23 AM    Msg. 8 of 18       
The help I need is like, finding the right textures and how I should add them unto the object correctly. Sometimes I find the right textures, but I simply fail at adding them correctly so the whole thing becomes retarded.
For example, I added the "miranda_body.dds" to her body. But when I do that, her arms and boots for some reason become 'bugged'. (You can look through some parts of her body for some reason when I add the texture).

It would be great if someone could either add me on MSN or Skype and help me out if they would like to. I guess it's easier to explain over a chatting program than on a forum.

clonetrooper163

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 11:39 AM    Msg. 9 of 18       
that is because you flipped the normals on the model and the UV on it gets messed up, i've had this problem many of times with halo 3/odst models, so what you need to do is re-set the scene and importing the model again, that works sometimes

For the see through parts go to the modify tab and go to editable mesh or whatever you have picked and click on the solid red box and thin click unhide all should fix those parts.
Edited by clonetrooper163 on Feb 9, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Edited by clonetrooper163 on Feb 9, 2012 at 12:25 PM

crimsonshadow117

Xfire: crimsonshadow117

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 12:09 PM    Msg. 10 of 18       
To find the textures look at the shaders connected to model your extracting and then go to the shader tags and look at the textures connected to the shader tags. :)

Putte08

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 12:24 PM    Msg. 11 of 18       
Damn, I'm not good at this. What's shaders and how do I look on the shader tags? :/

Putte08

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 09:33 AM    Msg. 12 of 18       
I'm not going to use this for a map, I'm doing some animations with some Halo models.
I've got quite a lot of Halo 3 models already that I downloaded from someone else, but it doesn't include everything I could need. So I though I would try to rip some models myself so I wouldn't need to ask someone else to do it. The only problem I've got is adding the textures correctly, I guess.

I've got some good answers that will probably solve my problems, the only thing is that I don't understand them. If they could go a little more in detail on what I should do I think the problem is solved.
(Explain it to me like I'm 5 years old).

Putte08

Posted: Jun 23, 2012 06:40 PM    Msg. 13 of 18       
Can you describe even more detailed?

Putte08

Posted: Jun 26, 2012 03:12 PM    Msg. 14 of 18       
Yes, it's old as hell. Just found it recently to see if there had been anymore replies. Still need help with it. :)

Putte08

Posted: Jul 1, 2012 03:38 AM    Msg. 15 of 18       
I did what you and the other guy told me, it still got those damn holes in the model as soon as I add the texture.

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Jul 1, 2012 04:15 PM    Msg. 16 of 18       
You have to flip the faces on the model and manually fix everything. One does not simply import a halo 3/odst model perfectly without having to fix errors.

Putte08

Posted: Jul 2, 2012 08:47 PM    Msg. 17 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: XlzQwerty1
You have to flip the faces on the model and manually fix everything. One does not simply import a halo 3/odst model perfectly without having to fix errors.

Here, if this is the truth then I don't even need to bother about this unless there's a tutorial for that. I thought it would be simple to fix if someone knew how to do it and at the same time be able to explain that to a noob like me.

How do I flip the faces and manually "fix everything"? Is there any way I can learn this? I'm willing to put down time into it, but it's hard to put down time into something I know nothing about.

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Jul 2, 2012 09:09 PM    Msg. 18 of 18       
First of all, you want to right click on the object > properties and make sure back face cull is unchecked. This makes it so that "flipped invisible faces" come up as black faces (black is the back side). You want to flip the black faces so that the front faces your way and the black faces the opposite direction

To do this, go to editable or poly, then select by polygon/face/element. Now you select all the black faces and then click flip faces.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed February 26, 2020 4:42 PM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website