A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halomaps Downloader

Author Topic: Halomaps Downloader (27 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 03:13 PM    Msg. 1 of 27       
What does this app do that Halomaps doesn't?

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 03:15 PM    Msg. 2 of 27       
So basically this is for impatient children who can't wait 30 seconds. Haha

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 03:19 PM    Msg. 3 of 27       
There is a reason for the 30 seconds waiting time, respect it. Releasing this pointless app is childish and I hope people will not support this by downloading it.

Kind regards,
Your fellow halomaps forum member,
Man of Lode

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 03:21 PM    Msg. 4 of 27       
Dennis hosts all these maps for you and he allows you to download them free of charge. He has put that timer on the site on purpose. You now post a program that goes against his wishes. Who is the douche?

tylerp14

Ohai der...

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 03:31 PM    Msg. 5 of 27       
What was it programed in? C#? C++? If so, may I have the source code?

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 03:32 PM    Msg. 6 of 27       
I think dennis will soon find a way to protect his site from this

TM_updates

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 03:34 PM    Msg. 7 of 27       
If you'd finetune this app to download "fair" such as the website allows users too, this would actually be kind of neat.

TM_updates

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 03:50 PM    Msg. 8 of 27       
Don't get me wrong, it's a neat little app based off your description. The only "problem" some of us have is that you bypassed the 30 seconds rule which Dennis put in place, which can be seen as disrespectful towards a man who has given us one of the best and only forums dedicated to Halo CE development D':

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 04:18 PM    Msg. 9 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates
Don't get me wrong, it's a neat little app based off your description.

you do realize that all the discription says, is that it bypasses the wait time and is colorless, right? lol.

But ya, unless you can give dennis as much money as he could of gotten for every single ad that could of been clicked during that time (even if the user wouldn't of clicked it), then your directly hurting this website with this. Actually.. make something that automatically clicks all the ads while this app is open, that should even it out *shrug*

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 04:27 PM    Msg. 10 of 27       
Seems insanely pointless to me.
If I want to download maps, I can click my shortcut to the site that I have helpfully placed directly on my desktop. ;)

TM_updates

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 04:34 PM    Msg. 11 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
you do realize that all the discription says, is that it bypasses the wait time and is colorless, right? lol.

Hello Kirby,

I see absolutely nothing in my post that would justify your doubt in me to grasp and/or read a simple description.

Kind regards,
Lode Man

ptowery

oify

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 05:49 PM    Msg. 12 of 27       
Dennis isn't going to be happy...

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 05:55 PM    Msg. 13 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: CARTooNMAN
Please learn to read, my friend.
"Bypass 30 second wating time"
And cause people to not get their map. The wait time is specifically to insure that the download server has the map ready for download when they get redirected to it. If you bypass that time restraint then you might not get the entire map file since it has not yet been completely copied to the available download area. This utility will cause people to get aborted downloads depending on the server load.

Halo

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 07:53 PM    Msg. 14 of 27       
You could be a great programmer. Making little apps like this is a good start, you should move on to VB later.
I'm sure you realized your mistake.
Alll of you nerds need to calm down.

Nickster5000

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 08:39 PM    Msg. 15 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halo
You could be a great programmer. Making little apps like this is a good start, you should move on to VB later.

None of us are nerds. If you think by coming here and posting content in response to this guy's post is nerdy, then you're also a nerd as well.

But I will admit, it is very good that you are starting to program these small apps; you could be very successful one day. My work has gotten some cash in my pocket in the past as well.
Edited by ODST_Nick on Feb 22, 2012 at 08:39 PM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 08:56 PM    Msg. 16 of 27       
Leaving out my opinion on functionality, i think the app/program is very pleasing to the eye and looks simple which i also like.
Someone suggest a nice java app for this guy to make.

anonymous_2009

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 08:56 PM    Msg. 17 of 27       
LMAO! Wow kid, what a waste of time. You don't want to wait 30 seconds (Dennis even explained the wait time)?

I don't see a reason to need to bypass that anyway, pathetic.

ptowery

oify

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 09:04 PM    Msg. 18 of 27       
30 seconds is waay better then the old one file at a time/enable cookies clustermess it used to be.

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 09:13 PM    Msg. 19 of 27       
BTW, the map with fid 1337 is called prOn. It is a dark map with giant rectangles scattered around

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 09:48 PM    Msg. 20 of 27       
You realize doing java is more difficult than VB, right? Java, you calculate all the positions for GUI items, put moar :effort:, etc. VB, you just drag things there and then get lazy on the coding and still have something that works. He should try some SPARC assembler for some fun, its actually easier than it looks.

tylerp14

Ohai der...

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 10:02 PM    Msg. 21 of 27       

Quote: --- Original message by: tylerp14
What was it programed in? C#? C++? If so, may I have the source code?

Is written in Java.

Awwwwwwwww

Halo

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 10:23 PM    Msg. 22 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODST_Nick

None of us are nerds. If you think by coming here and posting content in response to this guy's post is nerdy, then you're also a nerd as well.

But I will admit, it is very good that you are starting to program these small apps; you could be very successful one day. My work has gotten some cash in my pocket in the past as well.
Edited by ODST_Nick on Feb 22, 2012 at 08:39 PM

Your just butthurt, get over it.
I think the guy knows what he did wrong. That's all I'm saying.

Dennis

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 10:41 PM    Msg. 23 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Please learn to read, my friend.
"Bypass 30 second wating time"
And cause people to not get their map. The wait time is specifically to insure that the download server has the map ready for download when they get redirected to it. If you bypass that time restraint then you might not get the entire map file since it has not yet been completely copied to the available download area. This utility will cause people to get aborted downloads depending on the server load.

Has not happen to me so far, but I will trust your judgement.
There is some play in the timing but 30 seconds was the smallest time to be sure that there would be no errors regardless of the server load or file size. You developed the app based on incomplete information such as the fact that the 30 second countdown was a necessary function and not put there just to annoy people.

There is a handshake going on behind the scenes and to lessen the required handshakes I found that the 30 second wait time was optimum for the server to do it's thing without the websites checking again that it finished. Even still under very heavy load some (less than 0.2% per month) redirects don't start and the person gets a file not found error.

As much as I might find it fun to annoy the piss out of teenagers, the 30 second wait time was not for that reason.

Dennis

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 10:47 PM    Msg. 24 of 27       
Alright, I get it. I am pathetic, child, ect.
That is not at all what I am saying. You didn't/couldn't have all the information. This is how you learn and it was good practice for you in developing the app. It just wouldn't be reliable because of it.

ps: I am not, as someone suggested, annoyed.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 10:49 PM    Msg. 25 of 27       
I assume that was directed at annon2009.

Dr490nbr347h

Stealin yer Cookies.

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 11:34 PM    Msg. 26 of 27       
Seriously, We don't need this. The 30 seconds wait is there for a reason. And since when was that annoying? I never found it like that.

Halo

Posted: Feb 23, 2012 12:51 AM    Msg. 27 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dr490nbr347h
Seriously, We don't need this. The 30 seconds wait is there for a reason. And since when was that annoying? I never found it like that.

Good god, did you even read the posts?
Learn from this.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon November 18, 2019 6:40 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website