A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[WIP] Deadlock

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next
Author Topic: [WIP] Deadlock (92 messages, Page 1 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

Yoda

Do or do not, there is no try

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 07:00 PM    Msg. 1 of 92       
Deadlock

By: Yoda and Jawa

Deadlock is an original idea (not a copy or remake of something) for a Sci-Fi themed map. The map is set in a futuristic city, each team will spawn in a faction building placed on either end of the play area. There is a concept map layout shown below. The large buildings on either side are the faction HQs.

Each player will spawn with a "nuetral" pistol.

Each team has two faction-specific weapons available in their respective faction HQs, these faction-specific weapons are SMGs and Assault rifles (concepts shown below).

In addition to the faction-specific weapons and the pistol there will be 2 more "nuetral" weapons that both teams will have access to (although not inside the faction HQs). These weapons are a sniper rifle and a shotgun (also shown below).

The last picture is a list of helmet concepts for the biped.

NOTE: All of the weapon concepts were resized to fit better in the forum. Unfortunately this caused a loss of quality.

Yoda

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 07:12 PM    Msg. 2 of 92       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tiel
This is awesome. #5 looks best. Nice to see more custom content on the way :D

We are kinda leaning towards #4.

#5 is cool, but it just seems too similar to an odst helmet and we don't want people thinking that we are making an odst.

LMT Heretic

There are mysteries, that should remain hidden...

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 07:31 PM    Msg. 3 of 92       
awesome it seems nice hope it works and you upload it also new vehicles?maybe?

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 07:33 PM    Msg. 4 of 92       
I kinda like 2 it reminds me of Kat's helmet from Reach.

ReconNinja117

Used to be terrible. Probably still am.

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 07:45 PM    Msg. 5 of 92       
Looks like a very good concept, good luck with it!

Yoda

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 08:02 PM    Msg. 6 of 92       
@LMT_Heretic: Progress is already coming along nicely. Sry, no vehicles this time. There are not really any large enough open spaces.

@Slayer117: Sry I havn't played Reach so I don't even know who Kat is.

Thanks for all the comments so far. Hopefully soon we will be able to show the 3D versions of these concepts.

Spiral

I hope i'm out of the way

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 10:42 PM    Msg. 7 of 92       
mmm, 1-6 permutations would look nice.
Edited by spiral on Feb 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Yoda

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 11:32 PM    Msg. 8 of 92       
Quote: --- Original message by: spiral

mmm, 1-6 permutations would look nice.
Edited by spiral on Feb 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Hmm... that is an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that.

YoGamerProductionz

I'm back and a noob at modding :(

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 11:39 PM    Msg. 9 of 92       
Ooo, nice.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 11:50 PM    Msg. 10 of 92       
I'm intrigued. Team-specific weapons is an interesting concept. As for helmets, I'm leaning towards #5 and #6. Mostly #6.

Edited by Echo77 on Feb 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Yoda

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 12:28 AM    Msg. 11 of 92       
Well after reading these comments we have decided that we are gonna do 3 permutations for the helmet. Numbers 4, 5, and 6.

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 04:25 AM    Msg. 12 of 92       
You guys are great at creating and modeling custom assets, I admire this quality greatly!

Yoda

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 10:34 AM    Msg. 13 of 92       
Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates
You guys are great at creating and modeling custom assets, I admire this quality greatly!

Thanks.

We will be showing some actual 3d stuff pretty soon.

jawa

Utinni!

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 06:02 PM    Msg. 14 of 92       
We are through the concept stage of this map. Work on the bsp has progressed, and the outer walls and faction HQs are modeled.

Faction HQ:

Yoda

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 06:23 PM    Msg. 15 of 92       
I have started the 3d versions of the blue and red SMGs.

Here are some WIP renders

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 06:26 PM    Msg. 16 of 92       
You're doing the BSP wrong !
Use a symmetry modifier or 2, then just edit the models. With this, you can make very detailled structures and unwrap them by just making 1/4 of the map

Yoda

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 06:47 PM    Msg. 17 of 92       
Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33
You're doing the BSP wrong !
Use a symmetry modifier or 2, then just edit the models. With this, you can make very detailled structures and unwrap them by just making 1/4 of the map

Actually he needs to make half of the map, texture it, and mirror on x and y.

He know this, he just put the other side in for the render, but he isn't planning to model and texture it all seperately seperately.

@Tiel: what exactly is that comment referring to?
Edited by Yoda on Feb 26, 2012 at 06:48 PM

anonymous_2009

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 07:11 PM    Msg. 18 of 92       
The weapons have no "flow" or unique detail. All I see is a similar shape to a typical pistol and assault rifle with afew lines added here and there. The models look boxy and i dont see the detail.

The concepts for them should show more details that make sense, not just "oh it might look cool with a line here, but don't see how it would add to the model/design". All concept art on Halomaps is the same, and it's frustrating... just a quick basic shape with lines here and there that make no sense at all...

I'm glad that you tried though and came up with some designs - sort of - keep it up.

Yoda

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 07:36 PM    Msg. 19 of 92       
Quote: --- Original message by: anonymous_2009
The weapons have no "flow" or unique detail. All I see is a similar shape to a typical pistol and assault rifle with afew lines added here and there. The models look boxy and i dont see the detail.

The concepts for them should show more details that make sense, not just "oh it might look cool with a line here, but don't see how it would add to the model/design". All concept art on Halomaps is the same, and it's frustrating... just a quick basic shape with lines here and there that make no sense at all...

I'm glad that you tried though and came up with some designs - sort of - keep it up.

Although I do see some similarities between some of those concepts and "typical" pistol and assault rifles, imo the nuetral weapons at least are fairly unique.

As for the concept art itself, I am terrible at drawing and this is my first attempt to create an original design that I must make my own reference images for. BUT every line on those weapons serves a purpose on the actual model (which will become more apparent when they are textured) I did not just add lines because I thought it "might look cool."

And for the models. They are definately not my best work, but they are still WIP and they will look much better textured. Although I personally hate the way modern games feel the need to make UBER detailed weapons that just end up looking cluttered and impractical (like Reach weapons imo).

(And ussually you are the first one to tell people not to add details to their models that could be textured on later)

I think that the red weapons are the most boxy, and that is somewhat on purpose. The red assault rifle is loosely based on an airsoft gun that I have that is a shortened version of a g3.

@tiel: Thanks... I hope to be able to finish them up and texture them soon.

anonymous_2009

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 07:48 PM    Msg. 20 of 92       
The Reach weapons are NOT cluttered... every part has a purpose (in logic). And fair enough that your not good at drawing, neither am I. But all I see still is a box at the moment. You should model them high poly first, you will not get a good looking weapon with a lowpoly model and hand painted textures alone, unless your name is Dano.

Yoda

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 08:01 PM    Msg. 21 of 92       
The Reach weapons are NOT cluttered... every part has a purpose (in logic). And fair enough that your not good at drawing, neither am I. But all I see still is a box at the moment. You should model them high poly first, you will not get a good looking weapon with a lowpoly model and hand painted textures alone, unless your name is Dano.

Well, I personally hate Reach weapons. But that is just my opinion.

Modeling a high poly weapon for Halo doesn't really do me much good since I am not using OS and therefore cannot use normals.

I admit that I could have taken more time and made the weapons at least somewhat higher poly (these are 500-700 tris) and then optimised the model, and I may still add more detail (these are WIP, not necessarily final). But I am doing this in my spare time (which I have precious little of as a mechanical engineering student at Texas A&M).

As for making a lowpoly model and then hand painting textures... it can sometimes turn out well I made both of these quite some time ago, and even though the models are pretty boxy, the textures made them look decent.

anonymous_2009

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 08:07 PM    Msg. 22 of 92       
Highpoly models arnt just the normals... but anyway keep it up.

Yoda

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 10:26 PM    Msg. 23 of 92       
Highpoly models arnt just the normals... but anyway keep it up.

I admit that you are right about most everything you said... I'm just to lazy to do anything about it (at least right now)

but thanks for the comments. And if you have any more advice please let us know.

tylerp14

Ohai der...

Posted: Feb 27, 2012 01:38 AM    Msg. 24 of 92       
Did you say Texas? I'm going to Ft. Worth on Thursday for a funeral...on my B-day...(My B-Day is Friday)

Now that I think about it kinda sucks to go to a funeral on your B-Day...

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Feb 27, 2012 01:47 AM    Msg. 25 of 92       
Quote: --- Original message by: tylerp14
Did you say Texas? I'm going to Ft. Worth on Thursday for a funeral...on my B-day...(My B-Day is Friday)

Now that I think about it kinda sucks to go to a funeral on your B-Day...

You've already played this card before. Nice try though Jedi :)

Anyway, great concepts, Yoda. The sniper looks especially cool. Any ideas for what gameplay mechanics it will utilize?

tylerp14

Ohai der...

Posted: Feb 27, 2012 01:49 AM    Msg. 26 of 92       
Oh? I have? And what "card" would that be...

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Feb 27, 2012 01:51 AM    Msg. 27 of 92       
Quote: --- Original message by: tylerp14
Oh? I have? And what "card" would that be...

Feeling sorry for yourself after someone's death. You've tried it like five times in the past. No longer works, whether you're 'crying wolf' or not.

tylerp14

Ohai der...

Posted: Feb 27, 2012 01:56 AM    Msg. 28 of 92       
*post deleted by admin for rules violation
READ THE RULES:
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=2979

Bypassed profanity filter

Edited by Dennis on Feb 28, 2012 at 09:16 PM

Yoda

Posted: Feb 27, 2012 08:53 AM    Msg. 29 of 92       
Please don't start an argument in our thread.

@Typlerp: Sry that you have to go to a funeral, But please don't bypass the curse filter in our thread... we really don't want it locked.

@Jaz: If you don't like him please just ignore him (or deal with it in PMs, not here).

I think the sniper rifle is my favorite of the concepts as well, thanks for the compliment on the concepts. We are still working on how some of these weapons will be used, but there are basically three paths to get accross the map. The center path is by far the most direct but it is long, straight, and has very little cover (making it ideal for snipers, and dangorous for others). The side paths on the other hand are mostly close quaters (ideal for shotguns and SMGs) but they will take longer to travel through.

So basically the players will have to decide: use shotguns and SMGs for close quaters and take the longer path, or use Assault rifles and sniper rifles on the more direct open path.
Edited by Yoda on Feb 27, 2012 at 08:54 AM

LMT Heretic

There are mysteries, that should remain hidden...

Posted: Feb 27, 2012 11:02 AM    Msg. 30 of 92       
that would be nice but well i think it would have been nice to have some vehicles, i'll wait to see if somethiing happens before the map gets released
nice progress btw

madnesspart

Scanning... Just Dustin Echoes......

Posted: Feb 27, 2012 11:15 AM    Msg. 31 of 92       
Next project....... LiveLock *raises left eyebrow*

jawa

Utinni!

Posted: Feb 27, 2012 12:12 PM    Msg. 32 of 92       
Tiel is right, the map is too small for vehicles. The only place a vehicle would really be able to move is the center path, which is just a straight away. We designed the layout for moving on foot.

@madnesspart We will have to take that into consideration.
Edited by jawa on Feb 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Yoda

Posted: Feb 27, 2012 01:17 PM    Msg. 33 of 92       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tiel
Are you going to have it that the team's weapons fire a color of plasma corresponding to their team? ie, Red guns shoot red plasma, blue guns shoot blue, and neutral shoots white? If you made it accurate then this doesn't seem that poor of an idea.

The projectiles are not going to be plasma exactly (at least not quite like Halo plasma rounds) but yes they will be colored according to their team (like you said: red for red team, blue for blue team, and white for nuetral)

@LMT_Heretic: This map doesn't have any room for vehicles, but hopefully next map that we do will include vehicles.

@madnesspart: lol

jawa

Utinni!

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 05:16 PM    Msg. 34 of 92       
I have modeled a few of the buildings for the map. Since this is an outside map only one of these has any interior. Btw these models are not final, there are still some things I need to do.

Yoda

Posted: Jul 2, 2012 12:39 AM    Msg. 35 of 92       
UPDATE

So... we didn't end up with as much free time as we expected. BUT, the project is not dead. We survived the semester of school, got summer jobs, etc........... and are now back to working on Deadlock.

The BSP is still a work in progress, but all of the major details are there. We have taken several screenshots and made a video "fly through" of the map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-5hGKpHVWI&feature=youtu.be

We have also made progress on the weapons. The Handgun and the Blue SMG are very close to being finished, all that is left is a little fine tuning and sound FX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnxlj1xY-E&feature=youtu.be

LAST BUT NOT LEAST. We have decided to do somthing unprecedented. We have planned out a secret room for the map and intend to include a secret weapon (NOT a super weapon... just a secret weapon). However, we do not plan to design this weapon ourselves

Instead of going to all that effort ourselves.... we plan to let YOU design the secret weapon.

We are going to have a community contest for the Deadlock secret weapon! Anyone who is interested is free to submit their weapon designs. We will then choose one of the designs and I will create the weapon for Halo. This weapon will then be placed in the secret room of the map AND The designer will be given the tags for their weapon to use in their own projects (or not... we don't really care what you do with it).

HOWEVER there are RULES:

1. NO nukes, grenades, RPGs (of any kind), or orbital weapons...

2. No "End Game" weapons (we are not giving ANYONE godlike powers... sry)

3. And (this isn't really a rule so much as an FYI) try to make it fit in with the style of the map. (just not too outlandish please)

4. Submitions will ONLY be accepted in the submition thread linked to below!!! Try to stay on topic please.

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=41126

If you have questions about the contest please ask them in here... not in the submition thread. And let us know what you think of our progress.

We hope this will be a wonderful oportunity for all of you out there with GREAT ideas and absolutely no skills.

just jking,

Thanks for reading, and good luck with the contest. We hope this will turn out to be a fun idea for everyone.
Edited by Yoda on Jul 2, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri July 3, 2020 7:51 PM 204 ms.
A Halo Maps Website