A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »How would you improve Halo? (if you had the source code)

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next
Author Topic: How would you improve Halo? (if you had the source code) (94 messages, Page 1 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 11:22 AM    Msg. 1 of 94       

Edited by sparky on Aug 20, 2015 at 03:36 PM

Mini0013xx

I aim to entertain

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 11:49 AM    Msg. 2 of 94       
Updated graphics, an easier to use map editor, some extremely large maps containing a player count of 64+ players.

Perhaps P2P servers, although I'm not a big fan of those.

Darfnader

Guess who's back.

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 12:18 PM    Msg. 3 of 94       
True Dynamic shadows and lighting.

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 12:25 PM    Msg. 4 of 94       
Increased map file size limits to unlimited.

A map twenty times the size of Extinction wouldn't go amiss even if it is 20gb.

Other than that, uh... pretty much everything that's already posted in the thread you linked? A lot of interesting suggestions.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 12:29 PM    Msg. 5 of 94       
Proper co-op.
Single player co-op with up to 8 players, online.

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 12:32 PM    Msg. 6 of 94       
Better netcode, less leading shots. ^plus coop

Jaz

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 12:34 PM    Msg. 7 of 94       
A team consisting of multiple developers including Kornman, so that you can actually achieve all of these goals in the first place.

Sprinkle

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 01:53 PM    Msg. 8 of 94       
Still would be pointless as that's what halo 2/3/4/reach are for. It'd take less effort to port one of those games than to improve halo 1 to the point of those games. It took years for a team of 100s of people to do it.

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 01:55 PM    Msg. 9 of 94       
1. Enhanced graphical options, but not overkill so it can still run on most of our computers.
2. Enhanced vehicular ai pathfinding.
3. Online co-op which would also of course imply new/optimised netcode
4. Remove or ease on the limitations in place, including but not limited to BSP size, particles rendered at once, more optimised rendering of detail objects, etc...

grunt_eater

Everything except biped rigging.

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 02:42 PM    Msg. 10 of 94       
Why the one about vehicle path finding radius? A few simple modifications to any vehicle tag and it can be driven fairly well by an AI.

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 03:20 PM    Msg. 11 of 94       
Quote: --- Original message by: grunt_eater
Why the one about vehicle path finding radius? A few simple modifications to any vehicle tag and it can be driven fairly well by an AI.

Not really, it's all scripted + command listed in Halo 1. I speak of human vehicles of course.
In Halo 2 and 3 marines could mostly manage driving a Hog intelligently.

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 03:38 PM    Msg. 12 of 94       
Dynamic objects that can play Bink or Smacker files for in game video display scenery

Syncing AI

A new flag under the device_machine tags that specify whether or not to sync online*

A built-in widescreen aspect ratio option, HUD scaling(a lot of people have widescreen displays, it is pretty much the only type of display made nowadays)

Option in shader_environment tags to allow the use of alpha in normal BITMAP as height setting for parallax maps.

Games for Windows Live client support, but not FORCED as part of the installer(good for people who *want* to stay in touch that have xbox-live accounts)*

An all in one exporter plugin so we don't have to struggle with 'different animation exporters in general' and maybe even FBX support for compilers.

VTOL strafe vehicle type?

*edit> Controller vibration and Deadzone support(maybe xinput/directinput hybrid-support, even though the stock maps don't have vibration effects in them)
Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 24, 2012 at 03:41 PM

Jaz

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 03:40 PM    Msg. 13 of 94       
Viewing options within HEK.

For example, top view, third person view, first person view, side view, etc. all implemented in HEK as map options.

I'd love to see a Halo platformer map.

Jaz

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 03:51 PM    Msg. 14 of 94       
Implementation of Halomaps ingame.
As in, have Halomaps sponsored in-game as a link so that people will actually bother downloading more maps.

And if you set up an autodownloader, please get Dennis to let you use Halomaps's database instead of setting up a new database. If you started a new database, it might lack the thousands of maps already on Halomaps.

Oh and either make SPV3 the default main campaign when it's finished or sponsor it.

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 05:24 PM    Msg. 15 of 94       
Far more capable AI, ones that can switch states and utilize their limbs without the need for scripting or stale presets.

Jaz

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 06:31 PM    Msg. 16 of 94       
UI Options in-game.
As in, being able to auto-color various aspects of the UI using settings, and maybe move stuff around too.

Realtime Map Loading
As in, load maps while you're still playing the previous one. Maybe have the next map in the mapcycle start loading about 3 or 4 minutes before the end of the match. Would also be helpful for autodownloads as you could download the next map while you're playing the current one.
And if an admin changes the map near the end, just have an option to either have the map load in realtime or as a loading screen.
Also have all players still in the current map be invincible if the next map's still loading after the timer's finished.
Edited by Jaz on Mar 24, 2012 at 06:32 PM

ChBgt909

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 07:42 PM    Msg. 17 of 94       
- more players online
- all objects able to sync online
- dynamic lights and shadows
- better physics (moving crates, objects, etc.)
- be able to stand and walk on/in moving vehicles
- better map editor
- break the "Sealed World Rules"
- more vehicles in globals list
- be able to add map thumbnail and description
- "smarter" AI
- able to add more detail maps in a shader_environment tag (white: 1st detail map, black: 2nd, another color:3rd, another color: 4th and so on...)
- shader_transparent_chicago able to show a dynamic preview showing how the effect you're doing would look like in-game
- add zombies gametype
- able to "test" in sapien, a key that switches from editor mode to test or gameplay mode (symilar to cryengine 3)
- more functions in game whether is solo or multiplayer like EMP, kill barrier, sprint, etc
- better water effects like distortion
- able to add multiple fog planes or clusters (fog plane affecting ONLY the area that it's sealing)
- able to add multiple sky boxes ingame
- better trigger volumes
- parallax occlusion
- able to see your own legs and shadow in 1st person
- Ragdoll physics (halo 2, 3, reach style)
- able to use uppercase in map names
thats all i can think of lol
Edited by ChBgt909 on Mar 24, 2012 at 07:42 PM
Edited by ChBgt909 on Mar 24, 2012 at 07:45 PM

Mangenkyo

Yep!.. i know i'm in Space..

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 07:59 PM    Msg. 18 of 94       
real-time modification, something like Minecraft, or Forge... idk

Smmt

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 11:37 PM    Msg. 19 of 94       
Quote: --- Original message by: qwertyuiop15
Make it so that when you try to enter a server playing a map you don't have, it automatically downloads the map, then joins the server.

Definitely include that above all!

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 11:46 PM    Msg. 20 of 94       
Too many adjustments to list.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 01:33 AM    Msg. 21 of 94       
Definitely the updated physics.

tylerp14

Ohai der...

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 01:59 AM    Msg. 22 of 94       
Make it be free? or like $20-$30?

-Make it have a graphics system, like so you can change it to low, medium, high, or highest. (On the low, make it like H2 Graphics...)

-Make it so you can see your legs as you walk in first person (even though Kirby already did that)

-A tutorial on how to use the new HEK. e.i: In sapien, make it have a window pop-up that says tutorial - getting started and to show some of the basics of the new sapien, etc with guerilla and tool. But make it have a little check box that says "Dont show this again." so it doesn't have to be annoying.

-Free?

-Did I mention free yet? (or $20-$30)

-Some of the stuff that is posted above.

Edited by tylerp14 on Mar 25, 2012 at 02:01 AM

Spartan314

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 02:02 AM    Msg. 23 of 94       
If it were free how would the people making it make any profit.

If it does work out it probably most definitely will not be free.

tylerp14

Ohai der...

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 02:20 AM    Msg. 24 of 94       
lol...I can dream right? Am I allowed to dream?

ChBgt909

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 02:28 AM    Msg. 25 of 94       
they could be doing it for fun or because they have nothing better to do... they are willing to do it so they shouldn't sell it, besides they didn't even make the actual game, copyright baby COPYRIGHT!

Spartan314

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 03:18 AM    Msg. 26 of 94       
Quote: --- Original message by: tylerp14
lol...I can dream right? Am I allowed to dream?

"It does not do to dwell on dreams..." Albus Dumbledore

Jaz

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 04:42 AM    Msg. 27 of 94       
Quote: --- Original message by: ChBgt909
they could be doing it for fun or because they have nothing better to do... they are willing to do it so they shouldn't sell it, besides they didn't even make the actual game, copyright baby COPYRIGHT!

He's planning to 'license' the source code. He can sell whatever he wants.

tylerp14

Ohai der...

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 01:46 PM    Msg. 28 of 94       
^ Agreed... Oh and are you talking about Halo Combat Evolved or Custom Edition that you're going to license? If it's Combat Evolved, contact Microsoft/Bungie. If it's Custom Edition, contact Gearbox.

kornman00

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 01:56 PM    Msg. 29 of 94       
I don't know who you think you're going to have luck with doing this as I've already tried talking to multiple people about (paid) licensing the engine, and all the responses I got were that it wasn't going to happen. And this was even with OpenSauce as a "hey, I can actually do stuff with the engine on my own."

Bungie is no longer dealing with Halo. Roger still works at Bungie, he didn't stick with MS to start 343i.
Quote: --- Original message by: JazHe's planning to 'license' the source code. He can sell whatever he wants.

A license dictates use. If the license says one cannot sell anything made with the product, then one cannot sell it. If the license says they can only make it for Microsoft platforms, then one can only use it to develop on MS platforms. He could do whatever wanted...as long as whatever he wanted was within the limits of this hypothetical license.

Jaz

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 03:12 PM    Msg. 30 of 94       
Quote: --- Original message by: kornman00
I don't know who you think you're going to have luck with doing this as I've already tried talking to multiple people about (paid) licensing the engine, and all the responses I got were that it wasn't going to happen. And this was even with OpenSauce as a "hey, I can actually do stuff with the engine on my own."

We can still dream?

E: Oh and it might be a good idea to NOT tell Microsoft about this thread.
They'd probably rather sell the source code to people who can't do much with it than to an entire community of dedicated programmers.
Edited by Jaz on Mar 25, 2012 at 03:14 PM

tylerp14

Ohai der...

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 03:16 PM    Msg. 31 of 94       
So lets be truth-like here... It isn't going to happen. You'd be better off with just making your own engine. And the only person that I know of that's actually doing that is OpsY (Sorry OpsY, It had to come out some time). Although what OpsY is doing is he's making a halo-type game for maps that are Role Playing type, with maps far greater the size of what CE maps are able to go to.

So I'd suggest 1 of 2 things:
1) Get OpsY's opinion or his help.
or 2) Make your own Halo-based game.

Jaz

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 03:23 PM    Msg. 32 of 94       
Quote: --- Original message by: tylerp14
So lets be truth-like here... It isn't going to happen. You'd be better off with just making your own engine. And the only person that I know of that's actually doing that is OpsY (Sorry OpsY, It had to come out some time). Although what OpsY is doing is he's making a halo-type game for maps that are Role Playing type, with maps far greater the size of what CE maps are able to go to.

So I'd suggest 1 of 2 things:
1) Get OpsY's opinion or his help.
or 2) Make your own Halo-based game.

Or try to get the source code first.
Then not bother making a new engine because it's pointless.
He'd be better off using the UDK or another engine and licensing the Halo IP(Intellectual Property) if he can't get the source code. No point wasting time writing a whole new engine.

Oh and it did not have to come out about OpsY's work and he probably won't be happy with you if his engine was meant to be secret. -.-

Sergeant 1337

Do you even lift?

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 06:03 PM    Msg. 33 of 94       
Quote: --- Original message by: qwertyuiop15
Guys, everyone here knows it's not gonna happen. No one said it was. This thread was only made for a conversation.

If you read the OP in the link, you would know that it is, he just doesn't know when yet.

I'm still skeptical on the whole matter, doubting it'll happen.

The Cereal Killer

Scripts, AI, cutscenes, ui_widgets, animation.

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 08:30 PM    Msg. 34 of 94       
New script commands. Some are below:

(unit_set_first_person_visible <unit>) Pretty self-explanatory, would set the camera as first-person on a unit but leave the model of the unit visible.

(camera_attach <unit> <marker> <drag length>) Would attach the camera to the given marker on the given unit and drag length controls how far the camera is allowed to trail loosely away from the marker if the unit moves in any direction.

(unit_slide <unit> <flag> <time>) Moves a given unit to a given cutscene flag over the given number of ticks, similar to the way in which the cutscene camera is moved.

cyboryxmen

--CG artist-- New mission. Refuse this Mission!

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 10:42 PM    Msg. 35 of 94       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Cereal Killer
New script commands. Some are below:

(unit_set_first_person_visible <unit>) Pretty self-explanatory, would set the camera as first-person on a unit but leave the model of the unit visible.

(camera_attach <unit> <marker> <drag length>) Would attach the camera to the given marker on the given unit and drag length controls how far the camera is allowed to trail loosely away from the marker if the unit moves in any direction.

(unit_slide <unit> <flag> <time>) Moves a given unit to a given cutscene flag over the given number of ticks, similar to the way in which the cutscene camera is moved.

Wait what? Were these one of those "hidden commands" or were they made avalible through OpenSause?

Did you mis-post this on this thread when you were actually going to post it in another thread?
-Zekilk

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue November 19, 2019 4:18 AM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website