A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Yoyorast Island V3 for Halo 4 ?

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Yoyorast Island V3 for Halo 4 ? (54 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

yoyorast

Posted: Apr 1, 2012 01:46 PM    Msg. 1 of 54       
Hi guys, it's been a long time I didn't post here, I was away lol.. here is a copy of a post I wrote in 343 industries forum Here

Just to see what you guys think about the idea.

This post is destinated to 343 INDUSTRIES or to Microsft if someone's reading.

Hi, my name is Yohan, I'm a 37 years old french halo fan. Sorry, my english is far from being perfect, I just hope you understand what i'm writing.
I am known in the Halo CE community as "Yoyorast", creator of the famous maps Yoyorast Island and Yoyorast Island V2 for Halo Custom edition.

These past month, I've been reworking the map model once again to improve even more the gameplay experience and to correct some mistakes I made with YoyoV2 (V2 was too complex in the end).
But there are too few players in Custom Edition now sadly, so I've decided to stop the development of YoyoV3. Too much effort and time for a too small audience.I've been playing with forge a little bit but it's too limited.

So my last chance is to come to you guys at343 INDUSTRIES and ask you what you'd think about integrating my map in Halo4.
I know It may be a little bit late now cause Halo4 must be in its final stage of development I guess. But there may be a chance for a map pack or something.
I also know there are very few chances that you guys may accept to integrate any work coming from outside. But who knows. It is worth a try.

First important thing, I am ready to give you my work for free. I'm doing that by passion... and for the glory of course :)
The only thing I'd like would be to be credited and also be allowed to explain to your team how things should work in the map (population, spawning points, gates, teleporters, vehicles, gametypes etc...) to garanty the best gameplay experience.
Of course, the model I would send you should be retouched by your team to be adapted to Halo4 engine.

If you don't know Yoyorast Island, I have to say itis one of the rare last custom maps still played in Custom Edition, even after 7 years.

Today it is the 4th most downloaded map of all time at halomaps.org with180799 downloads. Also, you can ask around in the community, the top 3 maps are not bad but mostly downloaded for their impressive custom vehicles and for stunt games.
My opinion is that Yoyorast Island is the 1st downloaded map (over 2106 custom maps) for its gamedesign quality, for the fun, strategical and unique gameplay it has to offer. The map is perfectly balanced and was created for Race and CTF mostly, but also very fun in Slayer or KOTH.

V1 had some spawn killing issues and other little problems, I've been fixing all these problems in V2, thanks to years and years of testing, myself and the community. V2 is not out of issues but there too, I've tested the map for so long time that I know exactly what to modify and simplify for an eventual V3 (most of the work is already done on the max model).

The map is very famous and liked (sometimes loved) inside the community and on the web. There have been tons of threads on tons of forums about the map with very good comments. I can't say how many times I've been reading in forums : "this is the best map ever, bungie should include it as default map in their next Halo."
Just type Yoyorast in google, you'll find 21500 results, 1500 videos on youtube, 380 on xfire...
Also, there's like 40 different "non official" moded version of the map made by "fans". If you look for it on the web, you'll find a version of the map for HaloMac, for Halo Combat Evolved PC, for XBOX, for Halo2Vista...
I mean, it's a pretty big phenomen I guess given the small world Custom Edition has always been.

Anyway, the best way to see the map's quality is to play with it, you'll find YoyoV1 here :
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1144
and YoyoV2 there : http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=4957

Pictures of YoyoV2 :http://www.gamebanana.com/haloce/maps/117365

YoyoV2 videos :
Yoyorast Island V2 Promo
YoyoV2 Right here Right now
Yoyorast Island V2 Bigger, Singular, Evolved
Yoyorast Island V2 Trailer
Yoyorast's Island V2

YoyoV1 videos :
What is Yoyorast Island
Yoyorast Final
Tirbute to Yoyorast

Ok, now that you know a bit more about the map, please consider my proposition, it's a very serious one. Once again, I'm not interested in money there, my passion is driving me.

If you need anymore information or you want to talk, here is my email : yolevy@me.com

With all my consideration.

Yohan LEVY
Edited by yoyorast on Apr 11, 2012 at 08:32 AM
Edited by yoyorast on Apr 11, 2012 at 08:39 AM

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Apr 2, 2012 03:38 PM    Msg. 2 of 54       
You're french ? Cool :D
I hope they will notice this ! Even if I'm not a Xbox player

KingFisher

Creativity is the main element of level design.

Posted: Apr 2, 2012 04:31 PM    Msg. 3 of 54       
I would respect 343 and Microsoft even more if they did port any CE map. Yoyorast would be perfect because of how popular and fun it is. Most of the ignorant console gamers do not know anything about custom edition and how it is different from forge. If they can make cold storage look good, then they should have no problem making yoyorast look good.

Brian

Posted: Apr 2, 2012 05:16 PM    Msg. 4 of 54       
This would actually make me really want to buy halo 4 too, and actually play it for a while lol

Old Gregg

I love Hardcore Corn.

Posted: Apr 2, 2012 05:24 PM    Msg. 5 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: KingFisher
I would respect 343 and Microsoft even more if they did port any CE map. Yoyorast would be perfect because of how popular and fun it is. Most of the ignorant console gamers do not know anything about custom edition and how it is different from forge. If they can make cold storage look good, then they should have no problem making yoyorast look good.

What about cold storage?

Spiral

I hope i'm out of the way

Posted: Apr 2, 2012 06:02 PM    Msg. 6 of 54       
late april fools?

Brian

Posted: Apr 2, 2012 06:41 PM    Msg. 7 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: Old Gregg
Quote: --- Original message by: KingFisher

What about cold storage?

cold storage was an old h1 map they redid and just kinda prettied it up, i think thats what hes referring to

ReconNinja117

Used to be terrible. Probably still am.

Posted: Apr 2, 2012 07:25 PM    Msg. 8 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: spiral
late april fools?

This request isn't an april fools joke, but 343i could play a huge one by saying they'd look into it for Halo 5 on april 1st, 2013.

tylerp14

Ohai der...

Posted: Apr 3, 2012 12:12 PM    Msg. 9 of 54       
Not to be a dream crusher here, but yeah...

Halo 4 is already in it's final stages, and is almost near completion for a beta. I extremely doubt that 343i would take this into consideration, being as how they probably don't know what Halo Custom Edition is, because it's from Gearbox, and Gearbox alone.
Edited by tylerp14 on Apr 3, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Sceny

Awesome Faggot!

Posted: Apr 3, 2012 12:16 PM    Msg. 10 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: tylerp14

Not to be a dream crusher here, but yeah...

Halo 4 is already in it's final stages, and is almost near completion for a beta. I extremely doubt that 343i would take this into consideration, being as how they probably don't know what Halo Custom Edition is, because it's from Gearbox, and Gearbox alone.
Edited by tylerp14 on Apr 3, 2012 at 12:12 PM

oops: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1220366p1.html
Edited by Sceny on Apr 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM

tylerp14

Ohai der...

Posted: Apr 3, 2012 12:32 PM    Msg. 11 of 54       
That's not what I heard...

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Apr 3, 2012 01:07 PM    Msg. 12 of 54       
Your map is wacky in the good sense, but I didn't find it to have much in the area of competitive gameplay. That said it's a great race map, and I wish you the best of luck on your quest to getting into Halo 4 :)

Newbkilla

- Artist, Environment Artist, Level Designer -

Posted: Apr 3, 2012 10:32 PM    Msg. 13 of 54       
Though i support this, I do think it would be wise of 343 to perhaps take a quick look at all of the amazing artwork and design that we have to share. The creativity here in this forum far surpasses any creativity in a small crammed building of employs. Best of luck to you!

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Apr 3, 2012 10:40 PM    Msg. 14 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: Newbkilla
Though i support this, I do think it would be wise of 343 to perhaps take a quick look at all of the amazing artwork and design that we have to share. The creativity here in this forum far surpasses any creativity in a small crammed building of employs. Best of luck to you!

Seconded. I wish that you are successful!

Nickster5000

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 04:48 PM    Msg. 15 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: tylerp14
That's not what I heard...

No offense, but most articles you read up & shown me before is nothing but void.

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 05:19 PM    Msg. 16 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates
Your map is wacky in the good sense, but I didn't find it to have much in the area of competitive gameplay. That said it's a great race map, and I wish you the best of luck on your quest to getting into Halo 4 :)

Yoyorast's prowess is merely hard to get used to. If you play it continuously for a few days, you'll soon discover it has the most extravagant gameplay ever implemented in any game throughout the game industry's history. Yoyorast Island's gameplay is like a foreign food. It's hard to get used to it, but when you do get used to it, it's oh.. so so beautiful. ;)

TM_updates

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 05:33 PM    Msg. 17 of 54       
;)

yoyorast

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 08:33 PM    Msg. 18 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz
Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates

Yoyorast's prowess is merely hard to get used to. If you play it continuously for a few days, you'll soon discover it has the most extravagant gameplay ever implemented in any game throughout the game industry's history. Yoyorast Island's gameplay is like a foreign food. It's hard to get used to it, but when you do get used to it, it's oh.. so so beautiful. ;)

Hey guys, thank you for your support and comments.. And for the congrats for my english lol. (no google translate!)

Today I was reading some people here and on other forums where I made the same thread. Well, most of these people didn't knew the map, some tried the map rapidly or dowloaded it after reading the thread and then say things like : "well it seems fun but nothing special..."
I understand them and that is the problem... The problem is that people that only see videos of the map or try it alone (making one warthog lap for example) have great chance to see it as a big them Park, a wired piece of design or a good place to have stunt time...
If they don't play with it for a bit in a full server, they won't be able to experience the deep gameplay it has to offer... And not only in race. They won't be able to feel the even better gamplay when you team work with friends.
I mean I thought the entire gamedesign for weeks before starting to model anything... Anyway, there already very few chance 343 reads the thread, very few chance they say : let's implement Yoyorast Island, and even less chances when you consider the problem I just described.
So when I saw your comment JAZ, I was like wow, at last someone that feels what I wanted people to feel abd that say it ! I could have explained things better. Thanks again man.

abkarch

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 09:59 PM    Msg. 19 of 54       
is it strange that i saw many of these posts (jaz's sticks out to me) on the halo waypoint thread...started by a french person? haha. did you start a thread over there to?
i think it should be in, and also as a huge forge map.

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 02:22 AM    Msg. 20 of 54       
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but as a general rule of thumb game developers never implement ideas from their fans. Such practice can and has lead to lawsuits so game developers take the cautious route and do not accept ideas from their fanbase.

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 11:41 AM    Msg. 21 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: JimDaRulah
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but as a general rule of thumb game developers never implement ideas from their fans. Such practice can and has lead to lawsuits so game developers take the cautious route and do not accept ideas from their fanbase.

*Cough* Valve *Cough

Your statement is so so wrong.

abkarch

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 01:03 PM    Msg. 22 of 54       

lol, funny

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 01:59 PM    Msg. 23 of 54       
Um, they do that all the time.

Yoyorast Island in H4 DLC would be amazing. I would have to wash my pants, and clean the floor, if I ever were to see this happen.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 02:16 PM    Msg. 24 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: Slayer117

*Cough* Valve *Cough

Actually it is a correct statement. Valve has never implemented a fan or user based design into the actual purchased game. They are very clear in separating the user made levels and assets from the games itself and have distribution and usage contracts and channels in place for those assets. Valve values and encourages user made content while Microsoft has a completely different approach to user made assets in that they know they can't stop them but don't or won't endorse them. However no Game developer would ever utilize or implement a fan based idea, without first purchasing it, for fear of litigation.

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 07:45 PM    Msg. 25 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

*Cough* Valve *Cough

Actually it is a correct statement. Valve has never implemented a fan or user based design into the actual purchased game. They are very clear in separating the user made levels and assets from the games itself and have distribution and usage contracts and channels in place for those assets. Valve values and encourages user made content while Microsoft has a completely different approach to user made assets in that they know they can't stop them but don't or won't endorse them. However no Game developer would ever utilize or implement a fan based idea, without first purchasing it, for fear of litigation.

Thanks for backing me up Dennis. It's surprising how many people don't know how the industry operates sometimes.

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 08:03 PM    Msg. 26 of 54       

*Cough* Valve *Cough

well isn't all ce content property of microsoft, meaning that they and 343 already own yoyorast island?
Edited by Delicon20 on Apr 6, 2012 at 08:04 PM

Newbkilla

- Artist, Environment Artist, Level Designer -

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 08:08 PM    Msg. 27 of 54       

Cough cough.

http://combatarms.wikia.com/wiki/Rural_Estate

cough. cough.

abkarch

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 08:17 PM    Msg. 28 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: Delicon20

*Cough* Valve *Cough

well isn't all ce content property of microsoft, meaning that they and 343 already own yoyorast island?
Edited by Delicon20 on Apr 6, 2012 at 08:04 PM

I think your right.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 08:38 PM    Msg. 29 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: Delicon20
Not in a full legal sense. They own the copyright by for the Halo IP and the Halo game. Therefore they and only they have the legal right to control the distribution and sale of anything made for the Halo game. That is not the same as ownership. The actual design of a map for Halo Custom Edition is the property of the creator however because that design is for a copyrighted game the creator cannot a) obtain a copyright to it , b) sell it without approval of the copyright holder c) or protect or control the idea in any legal way because of the previous copyright. While the effect is the same as if Microsoft owned it that is not the same as legally owning it.

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 11:42 PM    Msg. 30 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: Newbkilla

Cough cough.

http://combatarms.wikia.com/wiki/Rural_Estate

cough. cough.

This was a contest-winning map, obviously to enter the contest you had to check a box to agree to the contest terms, part of which was probably allowing the game developers to be given full rights to all submitted maps.

yoyorast

Posted: Apr 11, 2012 08:58 AM    Msg. 31 of 54       
Well, thanks for the comments, I gree with you guys when you basically say that a "fan" map has one chance over a million to make it in the final game... but anyway, as Jim Carrey said one day with a big hope on his smiling face : "So, I got a chance !"

Also I'm ready to sign anything to make clear I woud leave my work and all the rights to them for free... But the main problem for now is to reach someone at 343...

I fixed the links of the 1st post.

Also you can follow the thread I made at waypoint :
http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst70219_Yoyorast-Island-V3-for-Halo-4---343-Team-Are-you-reading.aspx
Edited by yoyorast on Apr 11, 2012 at 09:15 AM

The Cereal Killer

Scripts, AI, cutscenes, ui_widgets, animation.

Posted: Apr 11, 2012 10:43 AM    Msg. 32 of 54       
Before my opinion is stated, I'll just make it clear that I've little to no interest in H1 multiplayer, and my interest in modern Halo multiplayer (or any game, for that matter) is still limited.

I understand that you're talented at what you've done. That must be true due to the popularity of the map; that said, please understand my opinion without being insulted: it should not be incorporated into (or even associated with) Halo 4; furthermore, I would be disappointed in the developers if they did include it. This is because it was a Halo 1 map, designed for the Halo 1 engine, and it simply does not meet the standards of a 2012-2013 Halo (and never will without major editing, at which point it ceases to be the same map you created) in the area of graphics or mechanics.

It is a nice map. It's just not exactly professional quality. And professional quality will never be achieved by any single person on a map, for the simple reason that professional quality maps aren't created by individuals, but rather with very large teams (such as Bungie).

This is only a side note, but your original post seethes vanity; I'm sure it's unintentional. May wish to tone that down a bit. I know I'm often guilty of the same and worse, however it is not advised for a public appeal; that is, I only do it to create a persona, not when serious business hits the fan.
Edited by The Cereal Killer on Apr 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM

TM_updates

Posted: Apr 11, 2012 12:33 PM    Msg. 33 of 54       
I disagree with TCK on the bit about professional quality only being achievable by large teams.
Cheers.

Wolf_

Posted: Apr 11, 2012 01:01 PM    Msg. 34 of 54       
Eh..Would be cool with some community created content for once. But you tried your luck with Bungie as well, right? I vaguely remember you mentioning somewhere you sent them gifts. Anyway, As I said it would be cool. Won't comment if it is possible. Also..Didn't Crytek implement a overhauled lighting job(?)for crysis from a designer once? I also remember him getting a job because of it.

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Apr 11, 2012 01:49 PM    Msg. 35 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Cereal Killer

Before my opinion is stated, I'll just make it clear that I've little to no interest in H1 multiplayer, and my interest in modern Halo multiplayer (or any game, for that matter) is still limited.

I understand that you're talented at what you've done. That must be true due to the popularity of the map; that said, please understand my opinion without being insulted: it should not be incorporated into (or even associated with) Halo 4; furthermore, I would be disappointed in the developers if they did include it. This is because it was a Halo 1 map, designed for the Halo 1 engine, and it simply does not meet the standards of a 2012-2013 Halo (and never will without major editing, at which point it ceases to be the same map you created) in the area of graphics or mechanics.

It is a nice map. It's just not exactly professional quality. And professional quality will never be achieved by any single person on a map, for the simple reason that professional quality maps aren't created by individuals, but rather with very large teams (such as Bungie).

This is only a side note, but your original post seethes vanity; I'm sure it's unintentional. May wish to tone that down a bit. I know I'm often guilty of the same and worse, however it is not advised for a public appeal; that is, I only do it to create a persona, not when serious business hits the fan.
Edited by The Cereal Killer on Apr 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I'm confused.

Do you not understand how this 'optimization' thing works?

It WAS a Halo 1 map, designed for the Halo 1 engine.

However, there's this thing called 'scaling' which generally occurs during 'optimization'. This basically means that you can scale the 'quality' of something up or down depending on what platform you're preparing to support.

Clearly you did not understand this process, which is rather strange considering you just tried to pompously describe what professional quality is. Hmm...

E: Oh and yoyorast, I just checked your thread on Waypoint.
You've got a lot of support.

And still more people insisting they actually know at all what Halo 4's 'style' is, but just ignore them...

Edited by Jaz on Apr 11, 2012 at 02:06 PM

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun September 15, 2019 1:51 PM 812 ms.
A Halo Maps Website