A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Can't see your own shadow from first person.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Can't see your own shadow from first person. (43 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

grunt_eater

Everything except biped rigging.

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 07:38 PM    Msg. 1 of 43       
Why not? Why is it that in first person you can't see your own shadow, just noticed and wanted to know if there is a fix for it.
Edited by grunt_eater on Apr 4, 2012 at 08:03 PM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 08:07 PM    Msg. 2 of 43       
The 1st person only has arms geometry, so it would only cast that shadow.
You would need to add a rough geometry for the body if you want a fp shadow.

grunt_eater

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 08:14 PM    Msg. 3 of 43       
Not what i meant, sorry i should be more specific. What i meant was: When you look at a biped you can see that it casts a shadow. And when you look at another player, or yourself, in devcam you can see that they have shadows. So why is it that in first person you can't see that shadow on the ground? You can't even see the shadow of your fp arms.

Also another question. is there a script command that can attach your camera to a marker? like camera_control 0 only instead of making your camera go to your body it would attach it to something else.
Edited by grunt_eater on Apr 4, 2012 at 08:17 PM

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 08:22 PM    Msg. 4 of 43       
why you see no feet when look down?

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 08:23 PM    Msg. 5 of 43       
There is no actual body geometry in the fp.
When you view through fp there is only arms geometry, i have not looked but those arms really should cast a shadow. (i would think)

grunt_eater

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 08:31 PM    Msg. 6 of 43       
Lol, just checked, they don't.

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
why you see no feet when look down?

I understand that, but the shadow is affecting the environment. Or maybe the reason you cna't see your shadow is because you can't see your legs, or the rest of your body for that matter.This brings me to my other point of this thread. Is there a script command that attaches the camera to a marker?
Edited by grunt_eater on Apr 4, 2012 at 08:33 PM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 08:43 PM    Msg. 7 of 43       
Again.
The reason that you can not see the rest of your body is because it is not there.

grunt_eater

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 08:46 PM    Msg. 8 of 43       
I know, that's what i was saying, but i was also saying that i thought the reason that you couldn't see your shadow was because there was nothing casting(your body isn't there)

But still, is there a script that does what I've been asking?

Mangenkyo

Yep!.. i know i'm in Space..

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 10:00 AM    Msg. 9 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
There is no actual body geometry in the fp.
When you view through fp there is only arms geometry, i have not looked but those arms really should cast a shadow. (i would think)

i think the colission model makes the shadow, you dont have a colission model in the fp arms..

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 10:05 AM    Msg. 10 of 43       
That sounds about right.

grunt_eater

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 10:11 AM    Msg. 11 of 43       
I see...So since there's no way to add one, there's no way to give yourself a shadow.

BUT, if you could detach your camera from the first person position and reatach it to, say, a marker right in the front of a bipeds mask. then you'd be able to see your shadow, and the rest of your body for that matter.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 11:42 AM    Msg. 12 of 43       
No you would not.
There is nothing there to be seen.
Please dont make me say that again.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 12:44 PM    Msg. 13 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: grunt_eater
I see...So since there's no way to add one, there's no way to give yourself a shadow.

BUT, if you could detach your camera from the first person position and reatach it to, say, a marker right in the front of a bipeds mask. then you'd be able to see your shadow, and the rest of your body for that matter.

http://beta.xfire.com/videos/48ea1e
Check if you see any shadow before I entered that warthog, if not, then that doesn't work. I wouldn't have that test map anymore, so I can't go back to check without remaking it, nor do I even care. (also, attaching the camera to your own body itself wouldn't do anything, it would still hide your own body. Use a child object that you set the FP cam to.)

Mangenkyo

Yep!.. i know i'm in Space..

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 01:33 PM    Msg. 14 of 43       
why do you want a shadow? the game is from 2001, what else do you want? just play the game..

The Cereal Killer

Scripts, AI, cutscenes, ui_widgets, animation.

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 04:31 PM    Msg. 15 of 43       
...if you could detach your camera from the first person position and reatach it to, say, a marker right in the front of a bipeds mask. then you'd be able to see your shadow, and the rest of your body for that matter.
Disregarding the fact that others have already replied to you here, I would only like to further point something out: considering how much could be accomplished by what you just asked about being possible, don't you think people would have already done it if it were so simple to achieve?

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 07:43 PM    Msg. 16 of 43       
If the camera isn't in the "fp" position, and you attach it to a marker right in front of it, you will no longer see first person animations. You'll see the worse quality third person ones, as well as lower polygon arms.

jawa

Utinni!

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 07:54 PM    Msg. 17 of 43       
Also another question. is there a script command that can attach your camera to a marker? like camera_control 0 only instead of making your camera go to your body it would attach it to something else.
Edited by grunt_eater on Apr 4, 2012 at 08:17 PM

Yes, I have used a script like that in tests before. This is some of the script I used. I removed some unneeded parts.

(script continuous camera
(begin
(if (= (volume_test_object trigvol (list_get (players) 0)) true)
(begin
(camera_control true)
(camera_set cameramarker1 50) -camera is attached to a predefined camera point
(sleep 100)
(camera_set_first_person hog1) -camera is attached to a warthog
)
)
(if (= (volume_test_object trigvol2 (list_get (players) 0)) true)
(begin
(camera_control false)
)
)
)
)

Note: I have only used this in multiplayer.
I think this should work as is, but there may be an unmached parenthesis.

grunt_eater

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 09:04 PM    Msg. 18 of 43       
@Maniac1000: You're not understanding, it would be viewing the body you're controlling form the third person, meaning that it wouldn't be your first person model that would be casting the shadow. It'd be like being in a vehicle whereas you can see your the shadow cast by it but you're also controlling that object itself.

@Kirby: Video not found

@Mangenkyo: i just thought it would be a graphics upgrade if you could actually do it.

@jawa: so to run this script i need two trigger volumes, trigvol1 and 2 and a warthog named hog1. what else? any custom tags? any specially named objects?
Edited by grunt_eater on Apr 5, 2012 at 09:08 PM

jawa

Utinni!

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 10:31 PM    Msg. 19 of 43       
To run the script you need: a trigger volume named "trigvol", a trigger volume named "trigvol2", a camera point named "cameramarker1", and a vehicle named "hog1". If you have that I believe this should run fine.

grunt_eater

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 09:29 AM    Msg. 20 of 43       
Okay?...It is dependent on collision, but stuff with collision has dynamic shadow?...Lolwut?

Hey, jawa. It said the left parenthesis was unmatched so i added one. Now it says the camera_set call requires exactly two arguments. and it recompiles hten says the left parenthesis is unmatched again. How do i fix it?
Edited by grunt_eater on Apr 7, 2012 at 04:00 PM

jawa

Utinni!

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 01:04 AM    Msg. 21 of 43       
Have you tried compiling the script exactly as I gave it to you? Because I just tested it and had no errors. There could be a problem if you have other scripts that you are trying to use with it. If you could post a picture of the error you are getting I might be able to find the problem that way.

DarkAvengerX

I'll just stick to music as mapping is not for me.

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 11:10 AM    Msg. 22 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Cereal Killer
...if you could detach your camera from the first person position and reatach it to, say, a marker right in the front of a bipeds mask. then you'd be able to see your shadow, and the rest of your body for that matter.
Disregarding the fact that others have already replied to you here, I would only like to further point something out: considering how much could be accomplished by what you just asked about being possible, don't you think people would have already done it if it were so simple to achieve?

Exactly

grunt_eater

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 02:40 PM    Msg. 23 of 43       
DarkAvengerX: Just because others haven't found something out yet doesn't mean that it's possible. Look at it this way, AI syncing online wasn't "possible" but i remember a way made just awhile back where someone used scripts to attach and detach vehicles of each body part to each body part constantly during a game and that synced online.

Kirby: If the GBXmodel is what decides it, then why don't we see a shadow of our FP hands? And would making the fp model the entire body make it so you had a shadow?

Jawa: this is the error written the debug.txt

04.08.12 13:43:25  [shadow line 6] the value of this expression (in a <void> slot) can never be used.: -camera is attached to a predefined camera point

04.08.12 13:43:25 recompiling scripts after scenarios were merged.
04.08.12 13:43:25 [shadowfeet line 4] this left parenthesis is unmatched.: (begin

Edited by grunt_eater on Apr 8, 2012 at 02:45 PM
Edited by grunt_eater on Apr 8, 2012 at 02:46 PM

grunt_eater

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 02:54 PM    Msg. 24 of 43       
My bad, man. Sorry for getting the name mixed up :P. I see now, i'm just still trying to figure out how to get this script working, lol.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 03:21 PM    Msg. 25 of 43       
i'm having trouble seeing what the advantage of seeing this shadow would even have, it won't make better game play, or visuals.
just seems to me like trying to do something that isn't worth anything.

grunt_eater

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 03:55 PM    Msg. 26 of 43       
Just for a little project i'm working on, guess it's just for personal preference.

DarkAvengerX

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 04:12 PM    Msg. 27 of 43       

DarkAvengerX: Just because others haven't found something out yet doesn't mean that it's possible. Look at it this way, AI syncing online wasn't "possible" but i remember a way made just awhile back where someone used scripts to attach and detach vehicles of each body part to each body part constantly during a game and that synced online.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it can't happen BUT I am saying here is not the place someone is going to know that. Just so you know, you would have the create the fp biped and somehow get it into the game. Unfortunately, the engine used for CE does not support fp biped geometry. I think it is disappointed seeing as you render to someone else. They really cut corners IMHO. The updated Halo 2 Engine does however.

Your script though, just know that is going to be the only way it is going to happen as it is not natively supported.

Quote: --- Original message by: ally
i'm having trouble seeing what the advantage of seeing this shadow would even have, it won't make better game play, or visuals.
just seems to me like trying to do something that isn't worth anything.

Realistic game-play is the way of the game nowadays. I seems that it should support this, but this engine actually lacks it.
Edited by DarkAvengerX on Apr 8, 2012 at 04:16 PM

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 04:23 PM    Msg. 28 of 43       
@DarkAvengerX: you just stated the obvious but sure lol

i just don't see the real point in worrying about it showing a shadow, but if it works for him then i bid him goodluck on his project.

DarkAvengerX

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 04:29 PM    Msg. 29 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: ally
@DarkAvengerX: you just stated the obvious but sure lol

i just don't see the real point in worrying about it showing a shadow, but if it works for him then i bid him goodluck on his project.
'

As do I. :)

grunt_eater

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 04:35 PM    Msg. 30 of 43       
Thank you both, now all i need is either Jawa or an experienced scripter to help me figure this out. I'd ask kirby on xfire but it seems that somethings wrong with it right now.
Edited by grunt_eater on Apr 8, 2012 at 04:36 PM

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 04:38 PM    Msg. 31 of 43       
xfire's fine and kirbys online now.

jawa

Utinni!

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 05:15 PM    Msg. 32 of 43       
I have never encounterd that error, and I cannot reproduce it. Is your map mulit or single player? And do you have other scripts you are also using?

kirby_422

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 05:29 PM    Msg. 33 of 43       
he just copied and pasted your post into a notepad file, he left all your messages there without putting them in HCE comment style.

grunt_eater

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 06:30 PM    Msg. 34 of 43       
It's multiplayer. I don't have any other scripts. Kirby said it was because the comments in there(the red text that explains what this does) not being in Quotes "like this" and that's what was causing the error. I took it out and now it compiles perfectly.

Haven't tested it yet, though, so i'm guessing i just enter the trigger volume?
Edited by grunt_eater on Apr 8, 2012 at 06:32 PM

kirby_422

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 06:39 PM    Msg. 35 of 43       
its not quotes, but a semi-colon... You just put as many ;;;;;;;;;;;; as you like, and everything for the rest of that line is ignored when compiling the script.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat January 18, 2020 7:19 PM 218 ms.
A Halo Maps Website