A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Project Request

Author Topic: Project Request (17 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

DarkAvengerX

I'll just stick to music as mapping is not for me.

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 09:24 AM    Msg. 1 of 17       
Project: Halo 3 PC [UNITY] [REMAKE] Status: Dead (Never found all the needed BSPs. Particle system did not support some weapon effects. Coding of mapping rules could not be written because I had absolutely no idea what I was doing or how it worked. I FAIL.

Eh, If anyone remembers me and my stupid ambitions.

I am tired of trying to do my own thing without any knowledge. I need to learn from the best.

This decision has lead me to a solution that probably wont work due to my horrible past.

I am not being lazy however.

I am requesting a mentor. Something like a teacher.

I want to learn as much as possible.

Face it, I can go to a wiki and read everything on those pages and I can learn a lot. But I need "real world" experience (for lake of a better term/phrase) I was wondering if someone existed who would do that.

And I will try to be your best student.

LMT Heretic

There are mysteries, that should remain hidden...

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 03:32 PM    Msg. 2 of 17       
i doubt that you would find someone that would teach you ... but i hope you do ... if so ask for tutorials as it would be easier that seeking for a mentor

DarkAvengerX

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 04:09 PM    Msg. 3 of 17       
Wow thanks :D nicest thing I have heard sense my last project xD

Much appreciated,
Darnell Williams

LMT Heretic

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 04:12 PM    Msg. 4 of 17       
no problem... after all i would try the same if i could do that kind of models and bsp , if you need some bsp help contact me on xfire
lmtheretic

Sprinkle

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 09:14 PM    Msg. 5 of 17       
How would a "mentor" help you gain "real-world experience" ? That's not how you achieve experience, you do it by creating things and learning in the process, which is experience. You learn how much time something takes to implement and whether it's worth the trade off for the amount of time it takes to do.

abkarch

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 09:32 PM    Msg. 6 of 17       
in unity? lol...the best place for that is the FPS tutorial and the unity scripting reference...

DarkAvengerX

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 12:14 PM    Msg. 7 of 17       
Oh of course I know that, the issue isn't time or my determination. I can have tried making many different things. Maps, tags, I have planned them but seriously, who is going to want someone with no experience telling them what to do?

I am going to rephrase my request. I want to see how someone does it. I am a visual learner. So I am hoping for someone I can shadow. I see this person uses this technique to do this and look it's better than what I was doing before or it allowed me to achieve something I was aiming for.

He/she might be building a tower. I can use what I see and build something else entirely, but a lot of the tutorials are sketchy.

youtube.com is my #1 source of help. Why? I can actually watch and see what they are doing. Add there are variations I can learn. It is just that I want to shadow someone who created an elaborate map. A molded box just isn't what I am aiming for. Like the map Sudden Conflict? I know that is not beginner level. Of course I have modeled many maps in an attempt to do something. But face it: There are people here who are more refined them people just trying to get hit on youtube with the most basic tutorial.

One mapper on here made a tutorial that is downloadable from halo maps. It gave me my start. But where to go from there?

Sprinkle

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 01:32 PM    Msg. 8 of 17       
The map Sudden Conflict is just a modified single player map, if you are referring to the geometry that is. So yes in a way the map was designed by a group of professionals at bungie 10 years ago. Otherwise everything else is pretty easily done in sapien, not sure exactly what you are asking to do, if you mess around long enough in sapien you can pretty easily figure out how to do something. There were no guides or tutorials on how to do certain things when it first came out, everything was figured out through trial and error or by reversing engineering.
Edited by Sprinkle on Apr 7, 2012 at 01:32 PM

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 01:45 PM    Msg. 9 of 17       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sprinkle

The map Sudden Conflict is just a modified single player map, if you are referring to the geometry that is. So yes in a way the map was designed by a group of professionals at bungie 10 years ago. Otherwise everything else is pretty easily done in sapien, not sure exactly what you are asking to do, if you mess around long enough in sapien you can pretty easily figure out how to do something. There were no guides or tutorials on how to do certain things when it first came out, everything was figured out through trial and error or by reversing engineering.

You can't knock down the guy for asking help with it, so what we didn't need help, doesn't mean others don't. So he can ask for a mentor all he wants, after all I had one.

LMT Heretic

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 06:03 PM    Msg. 10 of 17       
now i get why he said that what i said was the nicest thing someone said to him since his last project

Sprinkle

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 07:58 PM    Msg. 11 of 17       
Quote: --- Original message by: Slayer117

You can't knock down the guy for asking help with it, so what we didn't need help, doesn't mean others don't. So he can ask for a mentor all he wants, after all I had one.

Why say, you had a mentor once, why don't you give back to the community and help this guy by being his mentor ?
Edited by Sprinkle on Apr 7, 2012 at 07:59 PM

DarkAvengerX

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 05:10 AM    Msg. 12 of 17       
How would a "mentor" help you gain "real-world experience" ?

I have had a mentor in a different field. On my own I became very proficient with computers. When He became my mentor the knowledge I already had was expanded greatly because I learned new and more effective ways of doing things. He would watch to see how I did things and critique me. He would say thing like "I saw how you did X, in a real world case you are most likely not going to be able to do X and get away with it." He would show me how he does it. more secure and fault tolerant.

Overall, because of him, I can do more while in high school than some technicians on the field. I don't want to sound like I'm bragging either. I am more disappointed than happy of that fact.

Nonetheless, mentors are the view-piece into the real deal. They keep thought in reality for the important parts. You build a relationship. In fact I work for my mentor and he tells me I am the best he has had in a long time.

That's not how you achieve experience, you do it by creating things and learning in the process, which is experience. You learn how much time something takes to implement and whether it's worth the trade off for the amount of time it takes to do.

In response to this statement, who says a mentor cannot help you in the manner. A mentor (who has gone through it) can say "don't do this until you have learned X, it makes it easier", "I think this path is better and more efficient", "I recommend you do X". All of those thing can help with refining the knowledge without take out anything you have stated above.

Very true. xD Well I was aiming for geometry there.

Why say, you had a mentor once, why don't you give back to the community and help this guy by being his mentor?

It is still all up to him to offer. :) PM if you wanna offer.

( ,,.....,,)

I am not completely stupid however. I know that a mentor could be ill versed in the way of his/her art which could lead to corrupted learning, and what my mentor tells me may be a product of bias. If you look hard enough. these things will have little impact. I wish you could meet him and understand what I mean.

@Sprinkle :) Mad respect yo :0 you got me thinking on that one, took me a bit to come up with an answer that made sense.

@Slayer117 Love your positivity.

@LMT Heretic
Quote: --- Original message by: LMT Heretic
now i get why he said that what i said was the nicest thing someone said to him since his last project

Did you look at the old thread as well xD
Topic name: Halo 3 PC
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=37850&start=36

Noticed who said nice things and who didn't? xD

Honestly I still have some pieces of the project. I can continue as I recently acquired an advanced AI system for unity and I have learned a lot on light mapping, terrain, weather, camera systems, particle systems, and controls. I still need to learn networking aspect, scripting, GUI creation, tag like system, and of course the use of the nVidia PhysX Physics Engine.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,
Darnell Williams
Edited by DarkAvengerX on Apr 8, 2012 at 04:31 PM

Petera275

Some things just don't work...

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 10:11 AM    Msg. 13 of 17       
Quote: --- Original message by: abkarch
in unity? lol...the best place for that is the FPS tutorial and the unity scripting reference...

Hey abkarch are you still tinkering around with your Unity project? The screens looked pretty good, and now you've got at least a few fully animated weapons and a couple of bsps.

DarkAvengerX

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 04:33 PM    Msg. 14 of 17       
Nonetheless, back on track, it's up to whoever is up to it.

I do, however, insist. :)

Wanna see what I'm made of?
Wanna see if I can handle the truth?

Give me a chance and I will give all I got :)

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 06:35 PM    Msg. 15 of 17       
so... will you be having the red or the blue pill... :)

game user10

Who is the Overseer?

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 08:05 PM    Msg. 16 of 17       
I support you, being positive in the face of all the haters who say you will fall, and not letting them stop you.

Also, is X a crime?
Quote: --- Original message by: DarkAvengerX
"I saw how you did X, in a real world case you are most likely not going to be able to do X and get away with it."

DarkAvengerX

Posted: Apr 10, 2012 10:46 AM    Msg. 17 of 17       
Lol no...
More like a shortcut I might have taken instead of doing the whole process like one would normally do.

Btw, when I'm learning there are no such things as shortcuts.

Only use them if they are practical and when you fully understand the process.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun January 19, 2020 7:53 AM 1,015 ms.
A Halo Maps Website