A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Extinction Revamp Team

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next
Author Topic: Extinction Revamp Team (120 messages, Page 1 of 4)
Moderators: Dennis

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 01:11 PM    Msg. 1 of 120       
Work has begun on Extinction 2.0

Extinction, one of the favorite maps of the Halo: Custom Edition community has badly needed an update for some time now. Many things that need to be addressed with this old classic will be fixed with us, the Extinction Mapping Team. A total revamp of the bases, vehicle balance, and weapon balance is underway, along with a few new things that will improve the gameplay. Many have tried to do this before us, but what they proposed was no longer extinction, that will not be us. We intend to keep the map close to it's roots, only with improvements to the vehicles and weapons and minor things like new structures to keep the map more fresh and interesting, not just an empty canyon.

If anyone is interested in joining me in this venture please tell me, I'm really excited to get underway with this project and please, any other suggestions for Extinction 2.0 are welcome. :)

Team members

• JimDaRulah - Project Manager

• Echo77 - Vehicles

• LMT Heretic - Forerunner Structures

• ODST Nick - Covenant Base

• Tiel - Covenant Base (Hangar)

UPDATE #1

Lmt Heretic has modeled the first of some new forerunner structures that will be placed in the empty expanse between bases.

Edited by JimDaRulah on Apr 25, 2012 at 06:38 PM

Nickster5000

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 04:32 PM    Msg. 2 of 120       
The time is 1:30 PM PST...

I am looking at the forums...

I see this thread...

Me: "Oh god"

Classmates: "What's wrong?"

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 04:35 PM    Msg. 3 of 120       
Quote: --- Original message by: aLTis
What about making a new map? i mean new bsp and so on.

People will be far quicker to adopt a new version of extinction than a new map altogether. One thing I know about Halo Custom Edition servers is they are STUBBORN.

Quote: --- Original message by: ODST_Nick
The time is 1:30 PM PST...

I am looking at the forums...

I see this thread...

Me: "Oh god"

Classmates: "What's wrong?"

Go ahead and hate. I actually want to get people together and be a part of this.
Edited by JimDaRulah on Apr 20, 2012 at 04:36 PM

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 04:35 PM    Msg. 4 of 120       
I hope somebody applies for this. I'd love to see a decent extinction revamp. :D

Quote: --- Original message by: JimDaRulah

People will be far quicker to adopt a new version of extinction than a new map altogether. One thing I know about Halo Custom Edition servers is they are STUBBORN.

Which hosts have you spoken to? Realworld's hosts are pretty cool people, and so are rp server hosts.

But still, a new version of extinction would be pretty great.
Edited by Jaz on Apr 20, 2012 at 04:37 PM

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 04:41 PM    Msg. 5 of 120       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz

I hope somebody applies for this. I'd love to see a decent extinction revamp. :D

Which hosts have you spoken to? Realworld's hosts are pretty cool people, and so are rp server hosts.

But still, a new version of extinction would be pretty great.
Edited by Jaz on Apr 20, 2012 at 04:37 PM

I haven't spoken to any hosts, it's just the nature of the players. When they don't like something (which happens a lot with new maps) they whine until the host drops it in favor of a classic. I'd rather we IMPROVE upon a classic so it has better success with server masses. Also, I really like extinction and I think we could make it even better.
Edited by JimDaRulah on Apr 20, 2012 at 04:43 PM

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 06:05 PM    Msg. 6 of 120       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tiel
We're still talking about a new extinction .map, might as well go ahead and make minor adjustments to the BSP itself.

First you need to determine why players enjoy the map, then try and improve the BSP to both accommodate the new vehicles and get rid of the little annoyances. Without one or the other it'd be considered a mod as opposed to a standalone map, which I'd imagine is not what you want.

If you need any help, just PM me.

Well, the main issue with the map is how players spawn in either base on team slayer, how do we fix that?

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 06:40 PM    Msg. 7 of 120       
I may be interested in helping, but I'm not a very focused person, and I'm a chronic procrastinator. I do like the concept, though.

I would suggest Hornets to replace the UNSC jets, because they're a canonical craft and just fit in better with the other futuristic stuff. The Wasp is just too small of a target and too exposed, I think. The smaller hitbox wouldn't be quite fair against whatever Covenant equivalent it wouldbe up against. The Hornet would be modified to behave almost identically to the jet, of course (although I would suggest twin chainguns instead of the jet's primary rockets), so it would mainly be a matter of aesthetics.

The Seraph could be replaced by a similarly modified Banshee, with modifications to speed and weaponry, which would fix the Seraph's tendency of firing criss-cross.

Echo77

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 07:03 PM    Msg. 8 of 120       
The Vulture from Halo Wars is a gunship, whereas the Hornet is a direct counterpart to the Banshee, which is why it's included in Halo multiplayer. The Sparrowhawk could also be an acceptable alternative to the Wasp, but it's about twice as big as the Banshee, I think, so it'd be a bigger hitbox.

The side seats could be disabled for the Hornet, methinks, which would balance it out even better with the Banshee.
Edited by Echo77 on Apr 20, 2012 at 07:04 PM

Nickster5000

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 07:21 PM    Msg. 9 of 120       
Go ahead and hate. I actually want to get people together and be a part of this.
Edited by JimDaRulah on Apr 20, 2012 at 04:36 PM

Never hated it... I just wonder if this will actually get done, and get done well, which is what I doubt.

LMT Heretic

There are mysteries, that should remain hidden...

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 10:04 PM    Msg. 10 of 120       
i would like to join in the case you wanted to revamp bsp

Echo77

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 10:34 PM    Msg. 11 of 120       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tiel
I'd always thought the Hornet was an objective to capture, as you can carry your team anywhere. It just doesn't seem like it could hold a candle to the Banshee with only one person in.

They're both designed for close air support, although the Banshee focuses on speed, while the Hornet focuses on armor. Seems balanced enough, but I think everyone is tired of me emphasizing my preference of the Hornet as the standard UNSC fighter for this map, so I'll shut up about that now. XD

Echo77

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 11:44 PM    Msg. 12 of 120       
Quote: --- Original message by: FMT MasterChief
JimDaRulah, Your a nice guy but sorry if this offends you. This revamped team is some how very ......... dumb

"Two (or a team of) heads are better than one."

Unless you're like, Siamese Twins, I guess, cuz that'd kinda suck.

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 12:09 AM    Msg. 13 of 120       
Quote: --- Original message by: FMT MasterChief
oh sorry for saying that, I never thought of that and i think of it that way when many is better than one.

I'm in! I will help this revamped team. I will do the environmental shadering and i will apply OS on it if you guys want too

I like this idea. Opensauce would make extinction amazing! What do you think? Guys? Opensauce?
Edited by JimDaRulah on Apr 21, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Echo77

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 01:23 AM    Msg. 14 of 120       
I dunno, I think creating it without OpenSauce would be a bit more convenient and less laggy.

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 01:42 AM    Msg. 15 of 120       
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
I dunno, I think creating it without OpenSauce would be a bit more convenient and less laggy.

Good point. Okay, let's just stick to the basics then. You guys got skype? Let's get a group chat going

Kozakuu

Only the person who was wisdom can read the most.

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 03:32 AM    Msg. 16 of 120       
One thing I'd suggest is some form of player protection in the human hangar. Last night I was on the covenant side and I stood sniping (at the cliff facing the hangar) players and vehicles as they attempted to exit the hanger. The game quickly went from 13 players to 2.

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 11:10 AM    Msg. 17 of 120       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kozakuu
One thing I'd suggest is some form of player protection in the human hangar. Last night I was on the covenant side and I stood sniping (at the cliff facing the hangar) players and vehicles as they attempted to exit the hanger. The game quickly went from 13 players to 2.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea, maybe we can script some automatic doors at the front of the hangar, is that possible?

Echo77

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 01:19 PM    Msg. 18 of 120       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kozakuu

Yeah that sounds like a good idea, maybe we can script some automatic doors at the front of the hangar, is that possible?

I would suggest an energy field, actually. A door that big could get laggy and look weird if it was continously having to open and close fast enough to allow fighters to take off before they smashed into it. An energy field (you could have it be invisible) that could block projectiles but allow bipeds and vehicles to pass freely would help the spawn-killing problem, I think. That way no one could fire into the hangar unless they were actually in the hangar.

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 02:23 PM    Msg. 19 of 120       
Sounds like a plan. Now, how are we going to split up the work for everyone who wants to participate?

EDIT: Guys, we should replace the anti-armor sniper rifle on top of the Pillar of Autumn with this gauss sniper: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=39383&start=1

What do you think?

Edited by JimDaRulah on Apr 21, 2012 at 05:05 PM

LMT Heretic

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 08:03 PM    Msg. 20 of 120       
nice idea but, who are the members ?

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 08:29 PM    Msg. 21 of 120       
Quote: --- Original message by: LMT Heretic
nice idea but, who are the members ?

I believe Me, FMT Masterchief, Tiel, and Echo77 are all on board. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.
Edited by JimDaRulah on Apr 21, 2012 at 08:29 PM

LMT Heretic

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 08:30 PM    Msg. 22 of 120       
can i join too,please?

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 08:34 PM    Msg. 23 of 120       
can i join too,please?

Welcome Aboard, I'm going to add an official team list to the OP

LMT Heretic

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 08:36 PM    Msg. 24 of 120       
thank you now im going to look uptodate variants of the original extinction vehicles and placeholder or replacement guns

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 08:37 PM    Msg. 25 of 120       
thank you now im going to look uptodate variants of the original extinction vehicles and placeholder or replacement guns

Sounds good, you have skype or something?

LMT Heretic

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 08:38 PM    Msg. 26 of 120       
2 xfires (old from a clan and new for modding purposes) 1 facebook , and 4 messengers (for suscribing lol)but no skype

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 08:43 PM    Msg. 27 of 120       
2 xfires (old from a clan and new for modding purposes) 1 facebook , and 4 messengers (for suscribing lol)but no skype

Alright, getting an xfire. Give me the name of the one you use for modding purposes, you can be my first friend lol.

LMT Heretic

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 08:45 PM    Msg. 28 of 120       
xfire:lmtheretic
that's how altheros/fmt masterchief get me on xfire lol

Echo77

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 09:10 PM    Msg. 29 of 120       

Alright, getting an xfire. Give me the name of the one you use for modding purposes, you can be my first friend lol.

Xfire: 1echo77

I may try to chip in when I can, but I'm going to apologize in advance for my tendency to procrastinate and general lack of motivation.

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 09:16 PM    Msg. 30 of 120       

Xfire: 1echo77

I may try to chip in when I can, but I'm going to apologize in advance for my tendency to procrastinate and general lack of motivation.

Added you, accept my request, my username is jimdarulah

black elite

Backwards & sdrawroF & uʍop ǝpısdn

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 11:28 PM    Msg. 31 of 120       
This looks a little interesting, even if all it is a new friends attempt at making an old map "better"... Don't break her man, she's an old beauty... It would be awesome if you would try making a whole new second one though, just sayin.

Echo77

Posted: Apr 22, 2012 12:28 AM    Msg. 32 of 120       
Quote: --- Original message by: ELEVERX

The map is quite possibly one of the best Custom Edition maps ever created
Quote:

WHAT THE HELL THE MAP SUCKS yeah sorry to be like that but its lots of custom vehicels versus even more custom vehicles there a lots of maps that are far better
Edited by ELEVERX on Apr 21, 2012 at 09:28 PM

It sucks so good that it's one of the top three most downloaded maps of all time.
Edited by Echo77 on Apr 22, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Ubergoober

Posted: Apr 22, 2012 01:28 AM    Msg. 33 of 120       
everyone's already forgotten about poor ol' gonzo......

Nickster5000

Posted: Apr 22, 2012 02:23 AM    Msg. 34 of 120       
I've got a few assets I can throw your way if you need them. So you can put me as an "assistant"... I guess o_o

**looks at mass driver cannon in tags folder that needs to be fixed**

I may be interested in helping, but I'm not a very focused person, and I'm a chronic procrastinator. I do like the concept, though.

I would suggest Hornets to replace the UNSC jets, because they're a canonical craft and just fit in better with the other futuristic stuff. The Wasp is just too small of a target and too exposed, I think. The smaller hitbox wouldn't be quite fair against whatever Covenant equivalent it wouldbe up against. The Hornet would be modified to behave almost identically to the jet, of course (although I would suggest twin chainguns instead of the jet's primary rockets), so it would mainly be a matter of aesthetics.

The Seraph could be replaced by a similarly modified Banshee, with modifications to speed and weaponry, which would fix the Seraph's tendency of firing criss-cross.

I have a fantastic hawk.. :D
Edited by ODST_Nick on Apr 22, 2012 at 02:25 AM

JimDaRulah

It's been a while

Posted: Apr 22, 2012 03:08 PM    Msg. 35 of 120       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODST_Nick

I've got a few assets I can throw your way if you need them. So you can put me as an "assistant"... I guess o_o

**looks at mass driver cannon in tags folder that needs to be fixed**

I have a fantastic hawk.. :D
Edited by ODST_Nick on Apr 22, 2012 at 02:25 AM

Sounds good, I'll put you on the list. Got an xfire?

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat January 18, 2020 6:18 PM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website