A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Statement and Question for all forum members

Author Topic: Statement and Question for all forum members (26 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: May 13, 2012 12:22 AM    Msg. 1 of 26       
I have been gone for a couple of weeks with only limited and sporadic Internet access and had to leave the forum fend for itself. I have returned and just finished reading all 3 pages of outstanding threads and with only few exceptions everyone comported themselves properly and amicably. Quite honestly I was afraid of what I would find when I returned. I did not expect to be so pleased. Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Now for the question: My nephew plays Minecraft and has talked me into purchasing the game which I find very interesting. I haven’t quite mastered much of it yet, not even one night so I am a total novice. I looked for maps to download and found a couple of sites but they all host their maps at Medifire or some kind of third party file sharing site and I found that half the maps listed were unavailable even though they were listed on the “Minecraft maps” website. Is this normal?

So what I would like to know is who here plays Minecraft? Where do you get your maps from? What “communities” do you belong to for it and more importantly should I, as my nephew suggests, start a file hosting site and forum for Minecraft maps?

Thank you for your time.

Pepzee

Posted: May 13, 2012 01:31 AM    Msg. 2 of 26       
I personally haven't had time to try Minecraft, but my friends play it. A lot.

I just asked them and they don't seem to know of a certain website for Minecraft maps though.

I'm kind of interested in trying Minecraft, but I'm not sure if the retro thing would be fun for me. I'm curious to see how many people play it here and recommend it.

Kozakuu

Only the person who was wisdom can read the most.

Posted: May 13, 2012 03:03 AM    Msg. 3 of 26       
The main hubs for Minecraft are found at http://www.minecraftforum.net/ and http://www.planetminecraft.com/
As the name implies minecraftforum.net handles the discussion aspects of minecraft with threads for upcoming and in development maps, map packs, texture packs, mods, skins and more. That and of course general discussion for images and videos.
planetminecraft.com is kind of the opposite of this, while it does have a forum sections it mostly focuses on the posting of projects to follow and download.
Put it this way. minecraftforum is where you discuss topics and planetminecraft is where you download your files.

Also, if you haven't heard of texture packs, they're a must have. They change the texture files for the entire game to suit for your particular need.
I personally use this one.
http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/urbancraft---official-ucp-texture-pack-128x128/

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: May 13, 2012 03:55 AM    Msg. 4 of 26       
Minecraft is a great modern-day substitute for those times where you feel like playing with LEGOs, but want to explore an infinite world around you as well.

The way me and my friends play minecraft is more of a smaller-scale co-op. One of us will host a server and others will join. We usually play with about 4-6 people and will settle small villages, and survive together...and gradually get enough resources to get to "The End".

That said there are indeed many people who share the maps they have created, for example I have seen a youtube vid of guys who recreated Tolkien's Middle Earth! But I don't think it has much value to download those since all you can really do is walk around in it and say "wow this is nice" a few times.

There's also alot of servers that get hosted, but I find these mostly overly chaotic due to the nature of the vanilla game (you can destroy everything), or too strictly monitored (you're forced to join "clans" if you want to be able to build things, and in Clans you can "protect" certain areas from being destroyed...). So basically imo vanilla MC's Multiplayer needs some enhancement by Mojang.

If you know Java you can also easily modify the game to great extents, I had a small go at it back in version 1.6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz5iJFR2rnY
Unfortunately I stopped development for that since it was annoying to constantly update the game to the latest version :(

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: May 13, 2012 07:19 AM    Msg. 5 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: Pepzee
I personally haven't had time to try Minecraft, but my friends play it. A lot.

I just asked them and they don't seem to know of a certain website for Minecraft maps though.

I'm kind of interested in trying Minecraft, but I'm not sure if the retro thing would be fun for me. I'm curious to see how many people play it here and recommend it.

I don't play it, but as a modder, and knowing you're a modder, I'd recommend it. I'm planning on buying it eventually. The voxel engine's incredible and I'd love to delve into the files and inspect the coding that's gone into such a game.

Anyway, Dennis, the first site I check for mods is always moddb.
http://www.moddb.com/games/minecraft/mods

Seems to be plenty of mods. :)
Difficult to navigate though. Who on earth thought of using that black background? *Facepalm*

Dennis

Posted: May 13, 2012 07:38 PM    Msg. 6 of 26       
The more I look into this and fiddle with the game, which is quite interesting I have to admit, I am thinking that the Minecraft community needs more of a combination of the Art of Custom Edition and HCE file download website. Even planetmincraft linked out to other file shares for the maps they host and 1 out of the three I selected was not available through the file share. it appears as if some people just want to show images of their work and others are willing to share the maps for others to build on. I will have to think about this since in my cursory inspection of the various sites I saw none of them seem to be doing it very well.

I am interested in your ideas and what you think would make a good fan website.
Edited by Dennis on May 13, 2012 at 07:39 PM

TM_updates

Posted: May 14, 2012 12:06 AM    Msg. 7 of 26       
I think an art section would be a good start.

Ideally, Minecraftmaps.org could have it's own small dedicated server which has interesting settings to keep the Vanilla Minecraft gameplay yet somehow prevent the chaotic landscapes this creates once you let a whole pack of kids loose on it. Some thought would have to be put into how such server rules could be worked out.

Old Gregg

I love Hardcore Corn.

Posted: May 14, 2012 12:20 AM    Msg. 8 of 26       
I personally think the texture pack section would me more used. I know for myself I rarely download adventure maps, but sometimes I do and they are quiet fun. I know alot of the other minecraft fan-base LOVE making and playing adventure maps. How I play is I team up with about 4 other people on a random VANILLA server, and pretty much get richer than the admins, and were the highest "Social status" ranked on the server. At one point we had about 5 stacks of diamonds and a 5-minute instant 50 mob grinder.

I think you should make a vanilla minecraft server with many anti grief mods for this forums ;)

( Vanilla= no mods (such as iConomy, and all the other crap)

TM_updates

Posted: May 14, 2012 12:32 AM    Msg. 9 of 26       
I do support griefing tbh, however I think there should be a large radius around the spawn zone in which players cannot build or destroy the land. This would force them to go out and explore a bit + also automatically divide them up into groups a bit.

Yoda

Do or do not, there is no try

Posted: May 14, 2012 12:47 PM    Msg. 10 of 26       
I considered it, but never really got around to buying minecraft. My understanding was always that the whole point was to sort of build your own world, rather than downloading a map.

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
I have been gone for a couple of weeks with only limited and sporadic Internet access and had to leave the forum fend for itself. I have returned and just finished reading all 3 pages of outstanding threads and with only few exceptions everyone comported themselves properly and amicably. Quite honestly I was afraid of what I would find when I returned. I did not expect to be so pleased. Thank you. I really appreciate it.

hmm, I hadn't really noticed till you mentioned it... but I guess the forum has been somewhat more mature lately hasn't it. How refreshing, lol.

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: May 14, 2012 01:37 PM    Msg. 11 of 26       
I support the idea of a file hosting site for minecraft. the only one I know of is the minecraft forums but you have to search for them through threads and that's really annoying. Minecraft is a great game and should be explored by this possibility. I support you all the way Dennis!

XlzQwerty1

Posted: May 14, 2012 04:49 PM    Msg. 12 of 26       
Quite odd seeing Dennis ask a question like this in a Halo discussion forum (you know what I mean.)

But with that aside I believe it would be great to add a section to this website "minecraftmaps.org" where it won't just host maps, but it can host texture packs and mods and tutorials like you've done with halo and portal (although portal is mainly maps).

Dennis

Posted: May 15, 2012 12:25 AM    Msg. 13 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: Old Gregg
I personally think the texture pack section would me more used. I know for myself I rarely download adventure maps, but sometimes I do and they are quiet fun.
As I beginner I was having a hard time with the basics like something as simple as "mining" wood. I didn't realize you had to hold the mouse button down instead of just clicking it so I downloaded a couple of maps to fool around with. I saw several maps that I thought were interesting and could get me started so when I went to download them they were missing from the Mediafire file share. Needless to say I was a bit frustrated with it and it flashed me back to the When Halo Custom Edition was released and every time I went to get a map the fileserver was unavailable or over quota. Considering how long the Minecraft game has been available it surprised me that the hosting sites were so inefficiency run.

I asked here in this forum because several of of the members have mentioned that they have and like the game so I figured I would pick your brains and get a feel for what you would like to see.

TauSigmaNova

If love is blind, I guess I'll buy myself a cane

Posted: May 15, 2012 04:45 PM    Msg. 14 of 26       
I feel that hosting a Minecraft section would not even be all that bad of an idea- Similar to HCE Art and HCE Maps would be a great idea, maybe fused together.

I personally used ModernCraft as a Texturepack. Used to love B4mtastic but it hasn't been updated since 1.9.

Suggest trying Creative Mode to get accustomed.

Everyone feel free to join my favorite server, Omegacraft (ip: omegacraft.beastnode.org) and fine me, I play often under the username Earl[Noble]TauSigmaNova.

:3

Jaz

Posted: May 15, 2012 05:00 PM    Msg. 15 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: TauSigmaNova
I feel that hosting a Minecraft section would not even be all that bad of an idea- Similar to HCE Art and HCE Maps would be a great idea, maybe fused together.

I personally used ModernCraft as a Texturepack. Used to love B4mtastic but it hasn't been updated since 1.9.

Suggest trying Creative Mode to get accustomed.

Everyone feel free to join my favorite server, Omegacraft (ip: omegacraft.beastnode.org) and fine me, I play often under the username Earl[Noble]TauSigmaNova.

:3

Fine you? What for?
Well, I suppose I could use the money. :)

Anyway, yes, a Minecraft section on this site would be a good idea. It might even inspire me to actually buy Minecraft finally :P

TauSigmaNova

If love is blind, I guess I'll buy myself a cane

Posted: May 15, 2012 05:03 PM    Msg. 16 of 26       
*find

:P

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: May 15, 2012 11:44 PM    Msg. 17 of 26       
I play Minecraft. I used to play it a lot but I've been playing Risen lately so I've backed off a bit. I don't really get maps and I'm not really involved in any communities. I lurked around the modding section of minecraftforum.net for some cool mods (I think it'd be cool if you hosted mods) and I'm subscribed to /r/minecraft on reddit, but then again I mainly lurk there as well. I think it would be a cool idea, especially if you did the "Art of Minecraft" thing where people could post their creations or cool worlds, then people could vote on and download them.

I dunno how many people here know Java but that's what is used to mod minecraft (pretty sure about this, I barely scratched the surface of this) so if there's enough people we might be able to build a little community around modding it, especially if people get tutorials up to help newer people.

Dennis

Posted: May 21, 2012 11:20 PM    Msg. 18 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tiel
Lot a locks happening.

Does this mean we won't in fact be getting a minecraft section?
Peoples bad behavior now that they are getting ready for schools end has nothing to do with adding a Minecraft section.

LegionofShadows

The Red Pill is strong in this one.

Posted: May 22, 2012 02:37 AM    Msg. 19 of 26       
I think it would be a really cool idea to add a Minecraft section. There'd be a lot more to see- it takes less to make a Minecraft map then a Halo one- and anybody can create something awesome.

And yes, get Minecraft. If you have a good computer, get a HD texture pack too. Its amazing.

cyboryxmen

--CG artist-- New mission. Refuse this Mission!

Posted: May 22, 2012 05:48 AM    Msg. 20 of 26       
We probably should change the way downloading works here when we're joined up with the huge Minecraft community. We're going to be swarmed with leeches if we don't or perhaps the maps will be hosted on another server?
-Zekilk

Dennis

Posted: May 22, 2012 03:55 PM    Msg. 21 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: cyboryxmen
We probably should change the way downloading works here when we're joined up with the huge Minecraft community. We're going to be swarmed with leeches if we don't or perhaps the maps will be hosted on another server?
-Zekilk
I don't understand what you mean by "change the way downloading works". In what way?

Edited by Dennis on May 22, 2012 at 03:56 PM

UBE Chief

Raising the bar, one kill at a time.

Posted: May 23, 2012 02:46 PM    Msg. 22 of 26       
I play Minecraft as well - I get bored real quick if there's not much to do, however :c

I think expanding halomaps to other games would be a good idea ^^

abkarch

This account is old. Sorry for inappropriate posts

Posted: May 23, 2012 04:31 PM    Msg. 23 of 26       
I think its a good idea. IMO, if both of these sites sortof shared the same domain (you might think for a new one)? it would raise some more popularity for both games, especially halo CE.

P3

Posted: May 23, 2012 04:40 PM    Msg. 24 of 26       
:O "GASP!" Dennis! Dennis! Where is Dennis?! Someone just made a thread that is not Halo related and we need Dennis to ban Dennis and lock the thre- ....... Oh wait.... Jk

Please don't ban me. XP

Jaz

Posted: May 24, 2012 11:42 AM    Msg. 25 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: P3
:O "GASP!" Dennis! Dennis! Where is Dennis?! Someone just made a thread that is not Halo related and we need Dennis to ban Dennis and lock the thre- ....... Oh wait.... Jk

Please don't ban me. XP

Usually as long as an off topic has a real purpose, and is civil, Dennis allows it. He only locks off topic threads if they're abused or are way way off topic. At least that's what I've gathered from observance.

cyboryxmen

--CG artist-- New mission. Refuse this Mission!

Posted: May 28, 2012 11:11 AM    Msg. 26 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

Quote: --- Original message by: cyboryxmen
-Zekilk
I don't understand what you mean by "change the way downloading works". In what way?

Edited by Dennis on May 22, 2012 at 03:56 PM

Nvm. I guess Halomaps' bandwidth is high enough to support the new Minecraft community coming in without the need of the one download limit(two download limit for my case...eh, probably because of my location)...i hope...
-Zekilk
Edited by cyboryxmen on May 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu July 16, 2020 9:00 AM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website