A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »The Ghost Froom

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next
Author Topic: The Ghost Froom (111 messages, Page 1 of 4)
Moderators: Dennis

Mator

Froom-Invent0r

Posted: May 21, 2012 04:23 AM    Msg. 1 of 111       

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyiAa6CRA-0

About time.

After years of work this is one of my greatest projects come to fruition. I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed making it.

For those of you who doubt the legitimacy of this trick, please watch the explanation videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDC7E6BFEB0A1AD06&feature=view_all

Details
Timeline:
Started January 2009
Last Ghost Froom completed: June 2010
Last Footage Recorded: 5/20/2012 (explanation videos)
Total time spent: Hundreds of hours

Results:
The creation of one of the coolest Halo stunts/tricks ever
Four Ghost Frooms
14:25 of epic montage
Five Explanation videos (Over an hour of explanation)
We had a lot of fun and learned a lot!

Clips:
Total Number of Clips Recorded: Something in the thousands
~200gb at end of project

Time well spent.
gg.

-Mator

LegionofShadows

The Red Pill is strong in this one.

Posted: May 21, 2012 04:31 AM    Msg. 2 of 111       
I don't get it.

You spent years doing a stunt? I don't even get how that works.

LegionofShadows

The Red Pill is strong in this one.

Posted: May 21, 2012 04:35 AM    Msg. 3 of 111       
No, I think the other one was a warthog one... Or it was another ghost one.

Seriously, how do you spend years?

I just want to know. Is it so hard, so terribly complicated, that there are little or no resources online that can help you achieve this... um, momentous accomplishment. Do your eyes bleed often from the hours spent staring at the screen, manipulating the game so you can just...get...this...last...attempt...in.

Its all a joke, you realise. I am in no way bagging your... incredible feat of manipulating a game ten years old.

Mator

Froom-Invent0r

Posted: May 21, 2012 04:47 AM    Msg. 4 of 111       
Quote: --- Original message by: LegionofShadows
I don't get it.

You spent years doing a stunt? I don't even get how that works.

You fail for years on end. You also do it on different maps. You also fail at producing stuff in short time periods and thus release the video a whole 2 years later than it should have released it.

Quote: --- Original message by: Reeiiko
Haven't you made this thread before? I swear you have

The other thread was the trailer for this video. See here: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=38633

It was met with a lot of skepticism and general douche-baggery, but I'm still posting here on HaloMaps for three reasons:

1. I don't want to let a bunch of sourpusses stop me from sharing my accomplishments/videos.
2. I want to show them that they were wrong about it being not legitimate and about me knowing nothing about Halo's physics engine.
3. I don't want to deny someone the chance to see this who visits halo maps just because some other people went into a bitch-fest over the trailer.

Quote: --- Original message by: LegionofShadows
No, I think the other one was a warthog one... Or it was another ghost one.

Seriously, how do you spend years?

I just want to know. Is it so hard, so terribly complicated, that there are little or no resources online that can help you achieve this... um, momentous accomplishment. Do your eyes bleed often from the hours spent staring at the screen, manipulating the game so you can just...get...this...last...attempt...in.

Its all a joke, you realise. I am in no way bagging your... incredible feat of manipulating a game ten years old.

Yes, it really is that difficult. Watch the explanation videos. Maybe you'll understand then, maybe not. The point is it's so ridiculously hard (with the 10-20 minute set up for the shroom lift and insanely long and nearly-impossible procedure) it took me a very very long time to start getting any progress. A lot of the time, of course, is spent between discoveries. This wasn't all figured out all at once. Watch the video and you'll understand the timeline. (Seriously, don't talk about this at all until you've watched the video, that's just not fair).

-Mator
Edited by Mator on May 21, 2012 at 04:50 AM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: May 21, 2012 05:44 AM    Msg. 5 of 111       
lol what is this I don't even...
ok, so you explored the collision geometry relationship between a ghost and BSP. Am I missing something else here?
Edited by Spartan314 on May 21, 2012 at 05:46 AM

xKRONNiKx

Turkey Farm.

Posted: May 21, 2012 05:51 AM    Msg. 6 of 111       
derp

Mator

Froom-Invent0r

Posted: May 21, 2012 06:07 AM    Msg. 7 of 111       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314

lol what is this I don't even...
ok, so you explored the collision geometry relationship between a ghost and BSP. Am I missing something else here?
Edited by Spartan314 on May 21, 2012 at 05:46 AM

Without mods -> very difficult -> never been done before -> years of work to find suitable method -> resulting video.

Did you watch the video, because it should have made that clear... I don't see what the problem is with you modder-types. Ya'll just can't comprehend doing something because it's difficult, it's all just "practical applications a hur-durp" with you kids. You're like "If I can't use it to pwn someone ingame or make maps better it's retarded."

Think about the world from a perspective not centered about yourselves and the ingame objectives for once, please.

Spartan314

Posted: May 21, 2012 06:23 AM    Msg. 8 of 111       
I did watch the video, but what I still don't really get is why take a harder, and more difficult route to something when you can take the fast and easier one? I wouldn't just want to spend my time achieving something that could be done simpler.

Mator

Froom-Invent0r

Posted: May 21, 2012 12:45 PM    Msg. 9 of 111       
I did watch the video, but what I still don't really get is why take a harder, and more difficult route to something when you can take the fast and easier one? I wouldn't just want to spend my time achieving something that could be done simpler.

ARE you seriously going there? To cheat_teleport_to_camera/mods? UGH!!!!!!!

Ok. The point of tricking: be legitimate (don't use mods, hacks, trainers, etc.), and push the game to it's limits through the discovery of techniques which allow you to exploit flaws in the game's physics/mechanics.

To us trickers, stuff like "cheat_teleport_to_camera" doesn't even exist. The entire reason why we don't use it, is because just going and teleporting a Ghost up there isn't worth bantha podo to us. Anyone can do that because it's so darn easy. Actually doing it legitimately takes thought, skill, and real effort. This is the exact same logic used by people to not cheat at a game when playing through it.

E.g. You're playing Halo Campaign. The easiest route to beating the level is to set yourself invincible, give yourself medusa and bottomless clip, and just run through the level shooting your AR. Yet you'll note that 99% of players choose not to do this 99% of the time. Why? Because it's so easy it's downright pointless. It's wrong, it defiles the game and destroys the experience. THE EXACT SAME LOGIC applies to stunting. You are not unfamiliar to this logic, you use it every day.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: May 21, 2012 12:50 PM    Msg. 10 of 111       

He did, and he got extremely pissed off at all of us, and would remove any comments on his video that weren't giving him the exact response he wanted.. Back then, any negative remarks, he would give them a quote that he wanted them to say. I am happy to say that so far hes not trying to force opinions on people.

PS. People here don't care about effort, they care about results.

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: May 21, 2012 01:03 PM    Msg. 11 of 111       
While I'm sure your trick is very difficult to accomplish, I cannot understand how one can invest so many years in exploiting a physics engine just to do a "trick". I mean think of what you could have done with all that time if put towards something productive.

I'm sure you'll get mad by this comment, but just think about it.

Mator

Froom-Invent0r

Posted: May 21, 2012 01:08 PM    Msg. 12 of 111       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422

He did, and he got extremely pissed off at all of us, and would remove any comments on his video that weren't giving him the exact response he wanted.. Back then, any negative remarks, he would give them a quote that he wanted them to say. I am happy to say that so far hes not trying to force opinions on people.

PS. People here don't care about effort, they care about results.

That was the trailer, dingus. Can't you guys read posts?

I got annoyed by people like mangenkyo practically personally attacking me for tricking. Tricking has been around in Halo longer than modding. (Since 2002, to be precise). You guys can't argue against what other people do for fun. It's just wrong.

I got annoyed because I hate ignorance and arrogant bad-mouthing. When people are going around trying to tear other people down while being completely ignorant regarding the subject at hand I just can't help but get a little angry. That'd be like me going into the CMT thread and saying "This is really freaking retarded you guys. All you did is add a bunch of retarded looking/sounding weapons and ruin the game. You freaking suck." It takes no stretch of the imagination to envision the response I'd get to a post like that. The ultimate conclusion would be, because I had little/no experience modding I had no appreciation for what the CMT guys spent all their hours doing.

That there would demonstrate exactly what you guys are doing, going in and criticizing me for making something in my world of expertise, a world which you don't understand at all, and expecting me to sit down and take it.

I didn't remove any comments from the video. I responded to each and every one of them, however.

I did feed people some quotes to tell them what the appropriate response was in this situation, for they were being very impolite and inappropriate. I felt the need to spoon feed them how they're supposed to act in a civilized society when presented with something which someone has worked extremely hard on and succeeded in doing.

I don't force opinions onto people, I merely try to help them understand when they are in the wrong.

People here care about mods and custom maps. To be honest, I don't care about either all that much. However, there are some people here who understand tricking/stunting. These people will find this thread and watch the video and enjoy it. I will not let the few of you who don't like this stop me from sharing this with those who do.

Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates
While I'm sure your trick is very difficult to accomplish, I cannot understand how one can invest so many years in exploiting a physics engine just to do a "trick". I mean think of what you could have done with all that time if put towards something productive.

I'm sure you'll get mad by this comment, but just think about it.

I'm not mad, completely calm.

Spending time on this is no different than playing video games normally. I would have probably just been playing Halo/other games normally in this time if I hadn't been stunting. This is, in my opinion, less productive than discovering/creating a stunt such as The Ghost Froom, which was very rewarding for me. It brought me memorable moments with friends and some of the greatest fun I've ever had. What more can a man ask for?

Are you really so pompous as to say that what is done here on Halo maps: viz., the modding of the game/creation of custom maps for people to play on, is really so much more "productive" than doing a trick such as this?

Also, just because I was working on this doesn't mean I wasn't productive. I still managed to get into a program at a university which is recognized nation-wide as one of the best undergraduate physics programs around.

Quote: --- Original message by: l283023
I was going to watch the video, but then I lost interest at "One of the greatest halo tricks ever performed."

I'm sorry that you're allergic to hype and reality. You probably won't live very long, if this is truly the case. :(
Edited by Mator on May 21, 2012 at 01:13 PM

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: May 21, 2012 01:21 PM    Msg. 13 of 111       
Making maps and getting experienced with things that can ultimately get you in the game industry, yes, I'd say that's more productive than making 1 trick video over 2 years time. Think of it this way, maps and stuff related to map-making can all go on a CV, a trick video that took 2 years to make cannot.

And I wasn't talking about your productivity outside of tricking, just the amount of productive things you COULD have done with all that time. But hey, it's your spare time. My only intent was to get you thinking about how you could better use it to achieve more note-worthy things.

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: May 21, 2012 01:22 PM    Msg. 14 of 111       
Have you made any interesting discoveries into Halo's physics engine during this task?

If so, please share them with the community. You could contribute greatly to the modding community.

Otherwise, no offence, but you seriously have... no life. Sorry.

E:
Watching the video. Despite the great dramatic effects and of course the effort you've put into, this seems really pointless. It isn't a technical achievement unless you have new information about the physics engine to provide, and anybody really familiar with the physics engine and the collision system before you began could have done this a long time if they'd wanted to.

They have better things to do though... *Cough*

Edited by Jaz on May 21, 2012 at 01:37 PM

Mator

Froom-Invent0r

Posted: May 21, 2012 01:50 PM    Msg. 15 of 111       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mator
I was going to watch the video, but then I lost interest at "One of the greatest halo tricks ever performed."

I'm sorry that you're allergic to hype and reality. You probably won't live very long, if this is truly the case. :(

I just find it unusual that someone would spend 2 years of their time trying to get a ghost into the skybox. It's there for a reason, and somehow I doubt you know why.

The reason is up to interpretation. A stunter would say the skybox is there so you can get stuff into it. Nothing is fixed/objective in this world. Everything is relative. Don't force your closed-minded definitions on others, it's wrong.
Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates
Making maps and getting experienced with things that can ultimately get you in the game industry, yes, I'd say that's more productive than making 1 trick video over 2 years time. Think of it this way, maps and stuff related to map-making can all go on a CV, a trick video that took 2 years to make cannot.

And I wasn't talking about your productivity outside of tricking, just the amount of productive things you COULD have done with all that time. But hey, it's your spare time. My only intent was to get you thinking about how you could better use it to achieve more note-worthy things.

Well some of us like games but don't want to get jobs in the game industry, does that make us useless posers?

Also, the game industry circles, in it's entirety, about people wasting their time playing video games. If you are so against this practice, as you make yourself out to be, then you should in no way be supporting games, let alone ever pursuing a job making them.

Besides, I spread my time out over several years. It's not all that bad if you look at it on a weekly basis. And wasted time is relative. To me this was a far better usage of time than say, getting a job at a supermarket or something. (herpderp)

Also, because you seem to be strongly pursuing the idea that this taught me nothing, I would like to point out how this is not the case:

1. This taught me a great deal about using 3d programs, most notably 3ds max.
2. This taught me about how physics is dealt with in video games. If you watch the explanation videos (most notably part 2) you'll see that I actually import the .physics tag of the Ghost into 3ds max so as to show how physics spheres work.
3. This taught me how to work on a large project with higher production value than what I have ever done before.
4. This taught me about time management.
5. This taught me about coming to conclusion regarding physical systems through observation of surface-level structure alone (a skill which can be essential in physics/applied sciences, which is the field I'm interested in)
6. This taught me about working together with a group of people.
7. I learned about video editing with Sony Vegas while making this project.
8. I learned about graphic design while making this project.
9. I learned how to make a good and detailed commentary video while making this project.
10. ....

need I go on?

Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz
Have you made any interesting discoveries into Halo's physics engine during this task?

If so, please share them with the community. You could contribute greatly to the modding community.

Otherwise, no offence, but you seriously have... no life. Sorry.

Nothing particularly deep save in the realm of netcode. See explanation videos 2-5:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDC7E6BFEB0A1AD06

For netcode see part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_7BtC3afZo&list=PLDC7E6BFEB0A1AD06

I have some interesting ideas regarding netcode based upon my experiences with warp launches which could make me qualified to design the networking-system for a video game. I've already seen some official material for netcoding in games (most notably this: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014345/I-Shot-You-First-Networking), this PowerPoint makes total sense to me. You'll notice a lot of it is similar to what I have in part 4 of my explanation video. I derived the majority of these "rules" of networking, as presented by David Aldridge, myself through observation. You may not believe me, but this is the case. Networking comes intuitively to me. I wrote a 4-page paper back in 2008 when I was first discovering warp launches which touches on some of my thoughts and interpretations back then. Over time my views evolved to what they were on the day I saw that PowerPoint. While watching it I couldn't help but nod my head through the whole presentation. I already knew most of the information.

Quote: E:
Watching the video. Despite the great dramatic effects and of course the effort you've put into, this seems really pointless. It isn't a technical achievement unless you have new information about the physics engine to provide, and anybody really familiar with the physics engine and the collision system before you began could have done this a long time if they'd wanted to.

They have better things to do though... *Cough*

Edited by Jaz on May 21, 2012 at 01:37 PM

You're guilty of the same logical mistakes I've been pointing out in other people's posts thus far here. Please read the relevant arguments presented above.

-Mator
Edited by Mator on May 21, 2012 at 01:53 PM

Svanke Svans

Posted: May 21, 2012 02:26 PM    Msg. 16 of 111       
Your parents must be real proud of ya.

Mator

Froom-Invent0r

Posted: May 21, 2012 02:28 PM    Msg. 17 of 111       
Quote: --- Original message by: Svanke Svans

me mum is.

Jaz

Posted: May 21, 2012 02:34 PM    Msg. 18 of 111       

Your momma ain't praid of ya, bruv.

Mator

Froom-Invent0r

Posted: May 21, 2012 02:42 PM    Msg. 19 of 111       

you people are so heartless and mean, i don't understand.
Edited by Mator on May 21, 2012 at 02:47 PM

Jaz

Posted: May 21, 2012 02:53 PM    Msg. 20 of 111       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mator

you people are so heartless and mean, i don't understand.
Edited by Mator on May 21, 2012 at 02:47 PM

I was joking with Svanke Svans saying "Your parents must be real proud of ya". Violent jokes are generally accepted. ;)

Plus it seemed like he was saying that jokingly himself and attempting to insult you. ;)

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 21, 2012 03:00 PM    Msg. 21 of 111       
While im glad you learned some things about the engine and its physics during this, I dont see any beneficial things resulting from a simple exploit in the physics engine. I've also seen some more interesting things, for example, people getting outside a maps geometry and still flying a pelican (Hugeass), and then jumping out of it and landing on the ground (not that its beneficial, just a bit more interesting + interactive...).

Like TM_updates said, there could many more productive things you could have spent with your time, ex modding/mapping (were you could have learned even more about the engine + worked with a team still), or even focusing on real life things.

Jaz

Posted: May 21, 2012 03:05 PM    Msg. 22 of 111       
Or thinking of novels like I do... in your head. Although you should probably take a better approach and actually write stuff down. xD

Jaz

Posted: May 21, 2012 03:20 PM    Msg. 23 of 111       
Agreed, Tiel. Anything can teach you something. You could be eating a cheeseburger and suddenly discover the structure of that cheeseburger and discover something revolutionary in science.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: May 21, 2012 03:44 PM    Msg. 24 of 111       
^
I am more of a legs man than a breasts man.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 21, 2012 03:48 PM    Msg. 25 of 111       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tiel
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
While im glad you learned some things about the engine and its physics during this, I dont see any beneficial things resulting from a simple exploit in the physics engine. I've also seen some more interesting things, for example, people getting outside a maps geometry and still flying a pelican (Hugeass), and then jumping out of it and landing on the ground (not that its beneficial, just a bit more interesting + interactive...).

Like TM_updates said, there could many more productive things you could have spent with your time, ex modding/mapping (were you could have learned even more about the engine + worked with a team still), or even focusing on real life things.

So if you don't mod, you're not productive? Whether or not something is a waste of time depends on one's mindset and knowledge of the task. For example, I tinker with computer parts from an old 2000 Pavillion each night for an hour or so. I'm told I'm not 'productive' by my parents in doing so, but my friends who do the same on occasion can appreciate the amount of effort and education achieved by doing it.

Either way, it's none of your business or concern how he spends his time, be it making lumorias or pulling crazy stunts, at least there's a quality end product. And really, neither can be considered 'productive' in traditional context, seeing as they're only detracting from your educational time and can only be appreciated by a limited number of people.

If you actually read the first 7 words in my paragraph you should have acknowledged that I said "I'm glad you learned some thing...", and if your smart enough you may be able to realize that learning = productive... Like Waffles just said, I said he could have learned alot more about the engine and videogames by modding then he did by doing a simple stunt.

Jaz

Posted: May 21, 2012 03:50 PM    Msg. 26 of 111       
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
^
I am more of a legs man than a breasts man.

o.O

Co1t3r

Posted: May 21, 2012 03:53 PM    Msg. 27 of 111       
I thought it was a cool video. Good editing, well documented, and an awesome stunt. Thanks for sharing; it's really cool to see someone pull off such a difficult stunt, regardless of its practical outcomes. I wish other people in this forum were able to see this for what it is.

Spartan314

Posted: May 21, 2012 03:54 PM    Msg. 28 of 111       
I guess our point here is...
Was spending 2 years doing a trick in a 10 year old videogame worth it?

Co1t3r

Posted: May 21, 2012 03:58 PM    Msg. 29 of 111       
I guess our point here is...
Was spending 2 years doing a trick in a 10 year old videogame worth it?

Who made any of us qualified to judge the use of a stranger's time? It was a cool stunt. I'm sure those who pulled it off had fun doing it. This is a video game. Games are intended to entertain their users. What's the big deal? I think there's a fair degree of hypocrisy coming from many of you, as well.

Spartan314

Posted: May 21, 2012 04:00 PM    Msg. 30 of 111       
Is spending 2 years mapping in a 10 year old video game worth it?

You'll all say yes because you're in a community centered around it. Had Mator posted this in a forum for his hobby it'd be the reverse. Like I said...it boils down to personal preference.

For those willing to go into the game industry when they're older, I guess it does help them in a way and makes it a bit worthwhile.

However, I don't see any professional stunt companies in the world. (Unless someone would like to show me)

But meh, why do I care. I don't do stunting.

COOL STUNT BRO

Wolf_

Posted: May 21, 2012 04:02 PM    Msg. 31 of 111       
So if I understand this correctly, you got the ghost stuck in the playerclip, then launched it up to the part where the playerclip meets the skybox and then of course launching up to the ghost? I don't see it as a big accomplishment, but can't really comment on it being a waste of time, seeing as I have spent far more time making maps, which I really feel is a waste of time... Points for effort though. A bit over ambitious.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 21, 2012 04:07 PM    Msg. 32 of 111       
Quote: --- Original message by: Wolf_
So if I understand this correctly, you got the ghost stuck in the playerclip, then launched it up to the part where the playerclip meets the skybox and then of course launching up to the ghost? I don't see it as a big accomplishment, but can't really comment on it being a waste of time, seeing as I have spent far more time making maps, which I really feel is a waste of time... Points for effort though. A bit over ambitious.

He got the ghost stuck in the vehicle height limit. Thats basically why its floating, becuase the engine is telling the ghost that it cannot move above it. If it went above playerclip it would simply fall back down.

Jaz

Posted: May 21, 2012 04:08 PM    Msg. 33 of 111       

So if you don't mod, you're not productive? Whether or not something is a waste of time depends on one's mindset and knowledge of the task. For example, I tinker with computer parts from an old 2000 Pavillion each night for an hour or so. I'm told I'm not 'productive' by my parents in doing so, but my friends who do the same on occasion can appreciate the amount of effort and education achieved by doing it.

Either way, it's none of your business or concern how he spends his time, be it making lumorias or pulling crazy stunts, at least there's a quality end product. And really, neither can be considered 'productive' in traditional context, seeing as they're only detracting from your educational time and can only be appreciated by a limited number of people.

If you actually read the first 7 words in my paragraph you should have acknowledged that I said "I'm glad you learned some thing...", and if your smart enough you may be able to realize that learning = productive... Like Waffles just said, I said he could have learned alot more about the engine and videogames by modding then he did by doing a simple stunt.

And you might learn more about game design by reading books rather than modding. How the means you learn are irrelevant, as long as you learn. You can't just pop and say one method is better than the other because it all boils down to preference.

e: Also, would really appreciate you not making snide implications about my intelligence, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Edited by Tiel on May 21, 2012 at 03:54 PM

Agreed.

I've learnt about game design by reading articles, and have more in-depth knowledge about some areas than modders here. I still have a basic knowledge of central modding though without ever having actually used HEK.

Reading books has allowed me to jump straight into modding NWN and Skyrim. It's a valid learning method and can teach you more about some areas of modding than actually practically modding. It's a perfectly acceptable method of learning.
And so are tricks. As Mator stated, he's learnt a lot about the netcode and physics in Halo as well as how to us various video editors while achieving this task.

Higuy and others can just remain ignorant though. :)

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 21, 2012 04:14 PM    Msg. 34 of 111       

And you might learn more about game design by reading books rather than modding. How the means you learn are irrelevant, as long as you learn. You can't just pop and say one method is better than the other because it all boils down to preference.

e: Also, would really appreciate you not making snide implications about my intelligence, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Edited by Tiel on May 21, 2012 at 03:54 PM

Agreed.

I've learnt about game design by reading articles, and have more in-depth knowledge about some areas than modders here. I still have a basic knowledge of central modding though without ever having actually used HEK.

Reading books has allowed me to jump straight into modding NWN and Skyrim. It's a valid learning method and can teach you more about some areas of modding than actually practically modding. It's a perfectly acceptable method of learning.
And so are tricks. As Mator stated, he's learnt a lot about the netcode and physics in Halo as well as how to us various video editors while achieving this task.

Higuy and others can just remain ignorant though. :)

sadkjjfsdifuj

First of all, yes you can learn from a book or an article. I have a game design book. It was a nice foray and is still a nice reference. However, without the actual tools such as the game engine, you will never get anywhere or dweleve any deeper or make any new discoveries. A book restricts you to the information inside, as a stunt limits to you what you can only see on the outside of what the tools create... using the tools that create them though allow you to look further inward and discover more possibility's and learn alot more.

All I was and am still doing is offering the possibility of learning more, and that his time could have also been used as wisely to look into more physics using the tools and perhaps even finding out why the trick exists.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: May 21, 2012 04:28 PM    Msg. 35 of 111       
Because he is lazy.
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?search=higuy&B1=Search
See he never finishes anything :)

Edited by Maniac1000 on May 21, 2012 at 04:31 PM

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun July 12, 2020 2:41 AM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website