A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo Novel Discussion Thread

Author Topic: Halo Novel Discussion Thread (33 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

LegionofShadows

The Red Pill is strong in this one.

Posted: May 22, 2012 02:48 AM    Msg. 1 of 33       
Because we care.

Discuss the current novels, upcoming releases, and wonder about the greatest secret of all: will there be books about the Chief in the Reclaimer Trilogy?

Muscl3r

dont pray 4 easy lives...pray to be STRONGER MEN

Posted: May 22, 2012 05:24 AM    Msg. 2 of 33       
The only Halo novel I've read is The Flood. Bad writing but is want interesting that it also told the story of the odst's on the first halo instead of just following the MC

cyboryxmen

--CG artist-- New mission. Refuse this Mission!

Posted: May 22, 2012 05:33 AM    Msg. 3 of 33       
Never...make...Greg Bear...write anything halo related...ever...again.

Eric Nylund was my favourite author in the Halo Evolutions short stories. It was about the life of Cole, the guy who made the cole protocol and fought the forerunners before the spartans. Never read the other books he had written(Halo Evolutions was the only one I read). Apparently, there was a volume 2 of that book.

BTW, has anyone have access to some of Greg Bear's previous works? He's apparently mainstream.

-Zekilk

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: May 22, 2012 09:51 AM    Msg. 4 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: Private Caboose
I read Halo Cryptum and Primordium, amazing books. Read Ghosts of Onyx, I could barely understand what the writer was saying. Constantly skipping from one POV to the next without notification. Terrible punctuation and grammar, worst book I've ever read.

I know you're entitled to your opinion, but I frankly disagree with you, especially since Greg Bear's stories are simply rehashes of all of his previous works. Ghosts of Onyx was also a considerably well written book, so maybe you should read it again?

Greg Bear also ruined a lot of stuff about the Halo series in his canon-to-FrankOConnor-but-not-canon-to-the-actual-canon-itself. His books were mistakes. Enough said.

@Zel: He wrote novels for Star Trek and Star Wars. He is VERY mainstream and it's apparent in his books.
Edited by DarkHalo003 on May 22, 2012 at 09:53 AM

roviet1337

Lord of Admirals

Posted: May 22, 2012 03:16 PM    Msg. 5 of 33       
having read every halo novel, finished every game on legendary, read every terminal gotten almost every achievement, etc has made me think i know something about halo. now all bragging aside (more like all nerding lol) here are my thoughts on the books; eric nylund is a good writer because his novels are genuinely action packed. you feel like ur in combat in his scenarios. his books are mostly during the war however and well reading them i was a little dissapointed because there weren't many interesting twists. i did like the fact that bungie despite not blatantly following the book for reach allowed the book to coexist with the game. my examples of this are these: halseys journal mentions the artifact that blue team recovered thanks to the help of the unsc Iroquois, and though this pissed me off originally, after reading the fall of reach it made sense to me, i was pissed that they didnt put sgt johnson in the game. the part on new alexandria when you meet sgt major duwall, a black guy who could EASILY have been johnson, but if he was there it would have made the canon not work. because johnson was getting his ass saved on gamma station (aka the reach map condemned) so reading the books has definitely made the halo universe make alot more sense and i recommend all halo fans read them. now as far as the reclaimer trilogy is concerned here are my thoughts; greg bear is an experienced writer, but you can FEEL that he isnt allowed to disclose much. cryptum starts off REALLY FREAKING SLOW. it picks up towards the end and introduces some very interesting concepts, i would never have guessed that bornstellar would have BECOME the didact. so props to that but then he does the same thing with primordium. 80 percent of the book is spent traveling a halo that is corrupt and going AWAY from the one thing the reader is most curious about (the primordial aka the prisoner of charum hakor/the last precursor/also a gravemind). and the ONLY interesting things about the book that we learned is in the last 3 or so chapters. these things for those who dont want to read the books are *SPOILERS LOOK AWAY* that there are two arks, the second one considerably bigger than the one from halo 3, that 343 guilty spark was once the human known as chakas. but from what i understand NOT the one the mc slpazored. heres the quote "i see in your records that one of me caused you considerable difficulty- and then, assisted you! how like us. But never did that monitor reveal its origins, or the motives behind its perverse behaviors." so the halo 1 anniversary terminal where spark is talking about how there should have been two monitors was infact a repressed memory having more then one guilty spark. also the last chapter is VERY fast passed in that it reveals that the librarian is alive that the didact, who was your friend for most of the first two novels may yet again be an enemy? that was curious and lastly that we as humans have imprints or geas of ALL humans. thanks to the librarians work. thoughts anyone?

UBE Chief

Raising the bar, one kill at a time.

Posted: May 22, 2012 03:37 PM    Msg. 6 of 33       
^ Text wall. Use the Enter key more frequently please :3

Nonetheless, I do like all the books and currently own all the novels and have read a few of the comics.

The Forerunner Saga is a bit slow, but it provides some very interesting insight to the history of the Halos - I mean, who would've known that there were twelve original Halo installations of varying sizes? Not to mention Medicant Bias' betrayal of the Forerunner race. All in all, I was quite pleased with Greg Bear's work on the Saga :)

Now for Karen Traviss' works - Halo: Glasslands, for me, was very exciting, and I can't wait for Halo: The Thursday War. Brokering deals with the enemy has been a part of human history as far back as WW1 (AFAIK), so dealing with the Elites came as a pleasant - but not unexpected - surprise.

The original Halo trilogy of books definitely gave us a great backstory on how the S-II's were created. It was a massive disappointment that Bungie/343i didn't use Halo: The Fall of Reach to help make Reach, and it pissed me off greatly because S-III's weren't supposed to be known to either Halsey or the S-II's until Ghosts of Onyx, when Kurt-051 was forcibly recruited to lead the program.

The next few books after the trilogy were nice: The Cole Protocol, Ghosts of Onyx and Contact: Harvest provided even more backstory to the Halo universe, and I loved reading it all.

Evolutions, to me, was sort of like a DLC: more stories to wet your palatte while waiting for a new trilogy of stories. The fact that Bungie went ahead and made a video series on a few of them made me happy, as it brought the characters to life (even though I could, to a degree, make them come alive myself ^^).

So, what's everyone else's views?

THEFEAR

I can make this pencil dissapear...

Posted: May 22, 2012 11:47 PM    Msg. 7 of 33       
Like most of you on here, I own all of the books, and to be quite honest; I thought the inclusion of the forerunner saga into Halo was interesting, but could've been covered in a terminal- not a whole book. Especially Halo Cryptum. Although the end of this book was a bit shocking I do think that it was a bit drawn out to the point it was almost bad... I mean is it just me or have the Halo books gotten worse as time has gone on? Because without a doubt, Fall of Reach was the best, and none of the novels so far have come close to it IMO. Having Karen Traviss write the Thursday war doesn't give me a positive outlook on the future of the Halo novel series even if others are speculating that their will be a lot more action that Glassleands.

roviet1337

Lord of Admirals

Posted: May 23, 2012 12:35 AM    Msg. 8 of 33       
im with you on that dude^ i liked ghosts of onyx and fall of reach the most and karen even said that her books wouldnt be big naval battles... which pissed me off because those were some of the most intense parts in eric nylund's books. i swear to god if its called a thursday war it better be 24 hrs of reading about non stop combat.

all ranting aside whats ur speculation on the thursday war? mines that its on that planet where naomi's dad lives... thatll be trippy for her emotions also from the cover art i think that osman is going to test run the UNSC Infinity on some unsuspecting little wannabe separatists. poor them. but what else is gonna be in the book?

also this is random but how the hell is linda alive? dont get me wrong shes actually my favorite spartan 2 but she died, got cryo'd and them revived? why couldnt we have done that to like 40 other spartans? dub-tee-ef.

also is it just me or do you guys want some clarity on the spirit of fires crew? they were a little "bubble" in the halo universe but bringing them out now would in no way hurt storyline.. soooo

UBE Chief

Posted: May 23, 2012 05:11 AM    Msg. 9 of 33       
Owning actual paper books ftw.

THEFEAR

Posted: May 23, 2012 02:12 PM    Msg. 10 of 33       
Hate to turn this into an agreement fest, but yeah Linda was by far the coolest Spartan next to 117, as I think she was for a lot of people. So when she died it really meant something to the people who were reading the books as Linda died in such a way that the Chief let a little emotion shine through when she died- it actually made me sad. Her revival was bitter sweet, as although she wasn't technically dead it made her "death" a little bit cheap and meaningless. The same goes for pretty much every other Spartan and character from The Fall of Reach- they were all well developed characters that you hated to see go, even when James got his arm burned off by a fuel rod gun on Sigma Octanus IV that really meant something. Today all the characters are really forgettable and bland, with the exception of Chief Mendez because; yeah hes pretty awesome. Its kind of sad that the most intense moment in a Karen Traviss book was when an SP-III punched Halsey in the face over a dispute with an engineer -_-

Although the Thursday war will also be written by Karen, I have confidence that this one will be full of the action we have all been waiting for as a Thursday war (from what I can gather) is some kind of naval exercise in which a ships combat readiness is tested. The ship that is being combat tested could be either the infinity or the forerunner tech ship that the humans have acquired, either way it goes there's almost no way Karen can mess this up as the ODSTs along with the Spartan on board have to engage the enemy now. (Knocks on Wood)
Edited by THEFEAR on May 23, 2012 at 02:14 PM

LegionofShadows

Posted: May 24, 2012 02:53 AM    Msg. 11 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: roviet1337

also this is random but how the hell is linda alive? dont get me wrong shes actually my favorite spartan 2 but she died, got cryo'd and them revived? why couldnt we have done that to like 40 other spartans? dub-tee-ef.

Linda was technically between death and survival. It said so in the book.. 'For all the good it would do her.'

When she was revived, they had Dr Halsey there. She is humanity's leading expert on... everything(lol) so she woulda helped.

Glasslands was a big kick to the face for me. Karen basically rewrote the key characters from Onyx; Mendez was an a-hole, and Halsey was uncertain.

Never in the books did it say that Halsey was as bad as Karen made her out to be. Sure, she abducted kids, and subjected them to a training regime, but what else?

And please don't get me started about the Port Stanley's crew. Oh please, BB was just basically made out to be a copy of cortana- witty and all. Osman, Mal and Vaz were just horrible characters that had no real emotion to them. The only one I truly liked was Phillips.

The Thursday War better be good.

THEFEAR

Posted: May 24, 2012 03:53 PM    Msg. 12 of 33       
^^ In Karen's defense, it could be assumed from Halsey's intellectual superiority to those around her she might be a little arrogant, and coupled with her obvious disregard for the rules...

roviet1337

Lord of Admirals

Posted: Jun 3, 2012 12:53 AM    Msg. 13 of 33       
i ahree mal and vaz were completely tasteless carachters. if glasslands were a game, i would kill them for thier ammo, and tbag them. a bit harsh but hey. what i did like is how naomi's dad is some innie bigwig! thats going to arrange for some interesting implications... bit of a tangent here but im curious if we (as the chief) will ever get to fight insurrectionists.. cuz u know thats... kinda... what we were bred for... would be neat.. anyone?

UBE Chief

Posted: Jun 3, 2012 02:22 PM    Msg. 14 of 33       
Already happened in the novel Halo: The Fall of Reach

TauSigmaNova

If love is blind, I guess I'll buy myself a cane

Posted: Jun 3, 2012 03:16 PM    Msg. 15 of 33       
I loved Fall of Reach and Ghosts of Onyx and loved both of them.
Evolutions I was rather interesting also, and I'm planning on reading First Strike, Contact Harvest, and Cole Protocol soon.

UBE Chief

Posted: Jun 3, 2012 04:47 PM    Msg. 16 of 33       
y u steal mai avvie, Tau? X3

Like I said, I have all the novels, and I love them all - can't wait for The Thursday War >:3

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Jun 3, 2012 05:47 PM    Msg. 17 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tiel
Don't like how Glasslands suddenly made Halsey evil. It put waaaay too much emphasis on the ethical issues of the II program.

Yeah, I felt the same way with how the presented populace was like "ZOMG HOW DAER YOU MAEK SPARTANZ EVEN THO THEY SAVED HUMANITY?!!" Ultimately, though, I like Glasslands a lot, especially how it leads off into the next book.

Nne Ya Tano

Rebirth (2%)

Posted: Jun 5, 2012 03:03 AM    Msg. 18 of 33       
I could understand bringing up the morals behind the Spartan II program, though. Sure the pressed on it a bit, but the resulting discussion from it would be an enjoyment to read.

I have no problem with using super-soldiers to take down rebels to prevent loss of innocent life. Taking six-year-olds and putting them through hell and then augmenting them with a projected 50% failure rate is quite questionable.

roviet1337

Lord of Admirals

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 06:09 AM    Msg. 19 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: UBE Chief
Already happened in the novel Halo: The Fall of Reach

i... meant. in. the game...

UBE Chief

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 07:06 PM    Msg. 20 of 33       
*post deleted by admin for rules violation
READ THE RULES:
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=2979

Bypassed profanity filter
Edited by Dennis on Jun 9, 2012 at 02:32 PM

roviet1337

Lord of Admirals

Posted: Jun 2, 2013 04:12 PM    Msg. 21 of 33       
thought id dig this old thread up, as new books have since come out.. ive read them and for anybody that has, im curious what your thoughts are on the librarian being alive anywhere, 343gs and his location, and also the state of the dommain, because it is supposedly destroyed now..

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jun 2, 2013 05:03 PM    Msg. 22 of 33       
First Strike is by far my favorite of the books. Even if the crystal plot was a bit silly.

ZOBI3KING

Look at me, I'm the captain now.

Posted: Jun 2, 2013 05:11 PM    Msg. 23 of 33       
I've been reading Fall of Reach and so far, I've been enjoying it. I wish Barns and Novels was still open where I live, because I only have TFOR and halo Evolutions. Evolutions is impressive. They should make some games based off the books.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Jun 2, 2013 08:18 PM    Msg. 24 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: ZOBI3KING
I've been reading Fall of Reach and so far, I've been enjoying it. I wish Barns and Novels was still open where I live, because I only have TFOR and halo Evolutions. Evolutions is impressive. They should make some games based off the books.

That would be a first for the franchise.

Aer

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted: Jun 2, 2013 08:20 PM    Msg. 25 of 33       
i only read 2 books form the halo universe the fall of reach and ghosts of onyx, personally i prefer the second

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jun 3, 2013 06:32 AM    Msg. 26 of 33       
"First Strike" was a particularly good read.

"The Flood" in my opinion came in a close second.

"The Fall Of Reach" didn't interest me as much as the two above.

Any one else think those Halo Marvel comics are a little stupid?

It feels like who ever owns the rights to Halo and its assets is just ripping the core of what makes halo so great.

Kal825B

Last son of Krypt... Oh wait, i'm a clone.

Posted: Jun 3, 2013 07:58 AM    Msg. 27 of 33       
I've read Halo: The fall of reach, Halo: The Flood, Halo: The First Strike, and I am currently reading Halo: Contact Harvest. So far Halo: The Flood is my favorite with Halo: The First Strike coming in a close second. The Fall of Reach and Contact Harvest are tied for third.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jun 4, 2013 06:01 AM    Msg. 28 of 33       
I guess I would put first strike (in my opinion) above the rest since it was the first halo novel I read.

"The Flood" was a particularly fascinating read however I personally didn't feel as involved as I was in the game. The references to situations on various levels of the first halo game were pretty cool though. I.E when S117 Guns the warthog in search of the longsword in an attempt to flee halo and the flood

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: Jun 5, 2013 06:18 PM    Msg. 29 of 33       
But he speaks ..the Pompatus of love!

roviet1337

Lord of Admirals

Posted: Jun 7, 2013 06:48 PM    Msg. 30 of 33       
eric nylund had a writing style that actually actively engaged my attention, whereas the other books i read because of my thirst for halo canon.. and read them on kindle or google book, its cheaper and more portable.. and my -erm your friends wont notice your nerdiness.. as much. and while were on the subject of new halo content, what are your thoughts on this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxsYQtltOco
its got the infinity and spartan 4s but it also clearly has wolverines and i got a halo wars vibe from it, and id hate that it is for windows 8 and phone only, except that i just bought a touchscreen windows 8 laptop..
Edited by roviet1337 on Jun 7, 2013 at 06:51 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Jun 10, 2013 10:45 AM    Msg. 31 of 33       
I wish there was a novel or a game devoted to the elites.

We have had to suffer the story line on the odst's I think if 343 branched into the world of the sanghelli they might regain a lot of old bungie fans.

LegionofShadows

Posted: Jun 15, 2013 07:56 AM    Msg. 32 of 33       
The Cole Protocol was rather dedicated to Elites. The action seemed... Not boring, but to me it seemed sterile. It lacked that badass quality Eric Nylund's books have. Still a fine work though. Grey Team was a nice addition, and made it much better than if Blue Team was used.

On the note of Glasslands (again), I'd admired Parangosky up until the point she decided to completely ignore everything she'd done and just blame Halsey. She was a cold but endearing woman, the little we saw.

However, ignoring the fact that she willingly sent at least 630 Spartans to their deaths, knowing that the mission was suicide and that they really had no chance of succeeding, makes her far worse.

Yeah, she didn't conscript them, but what kid wouldn't want revenge for their entire family dying?

I'm rather sure sending 630 bare-teenagers to their deaths is worse than kidnapping 72 children and then making clones of those 72 children, the death of which made the family grieve and never know that their children were actually saving the Human race. Or being killed by faulty bio-augmentation.

Like Halsey, she got the job done.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jun 18, 2013 06:39 AM    Msg. 33 of 33       
Removed.
Edited by Super Flanker on Apr 10, 2016 at 02:09 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue September 17, 2019 12:05 AM 281 ms.
A Halo Maps Website