A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »help creating a .scenario file for a new map

Author Topic: help creating a .scenario file for a new map (17 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

iTr0llzurf4ce

Anything that Russian says is quite hilarious...

Posted: Jun 3, 2012 11:33 AM    Msg. 1 of 17       
im trying to make a map similar to the donkey kong map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUU6cJ-Q-2A but im stuck converting a .ass file to a .scenario file. can someone create a .scenario with just a huge ramp :)

Twinreaper

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 01:44 PM    Msg. 2 of 17       
Its called h2tool.exe. If you have the .ass plugin for max then you more than likely have the entire h2ek installed. I suggest you read the map making tutorial.

iTr0llzurf4ce

Posted: Jun 10, 2012 12:23 AM    Msg. 3 of 17       
when i try to convert it from .ass to .scenario in h2tool.exe i get tons of errors and it never creates the .scenario file.

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Jun 10, 2012 07:55 PM    Msg. 4 of 17       
Thats why you need to read this section of the H2EK tutorial, perhaps a few times.

What errors are you getting? The most common for beginners are failing to name something properly such as a material (to shader) reference. Also make sure you have all of the other objects linked to B_Levelroot, otherwise you will not have any geometry thus errors. Make sure the BSP (the geometry or mesh or map or level or board) is properly sealed with an STL Check Modifier, and remember that the BSP mesh should have its faces pointing inwards so your players have something to walk on, instead of fall through.

You can learn a lot by studying an existing map so here are some example Max files.

iTr0llzurf4ce

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 12:22 AM    Msg. 5 of 17       
im not sure what i have done wrong with the map. Im getting a lot of errors and it is not creating a .scenario file. Heres a pic of the errors i am getting:

Kills_Alone

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 04:20 AM    Msg. 6 of 17       
Looks like pretty simple errors to solve:

### WARNING 'box002' has geometry without a material specified

This means that this object does not have any texture(s) applied to it. Before we apply the material first right-click on the object and convert it to mesh, you may have already done so but it will not hurt to do so again.

Now (with the box002 object still selected) open the Material Editor (M key to open it). The Material Editor is where the materials are labeled and each one references a texture and the associated shader. A shader is a tag that references the same texture. Click the button (in the Material Editor) that looks like a small blue ball with a arrow pointing to a white cube, when you hold your mouse over it it will say Assign Material to selection.

So now that object gets its textures (materials) from that collection. It always defaults to the first material, a starting map should only have a few; one for the sky, one for the ground and perhaps one more for some walls. So each has labels and then inside has the shader reference and points to the texture.

Now with the box002 object still selected locate the modify tab, it has a symbol that looks kinda like a rainbow that is only blue inside of a box, from that area you can select and modify objects in different ways. So look down and you should immediately see a sub area called Selection. Click the plus button if it is not open, there you will see some red shapes, select the red box (Polygon Selection), now hit Ctrl+A to select all sides of your box. All sides of your object will be red.

Now I'm going to assume that the box is the ground and sky geometry of your map so we want to set all of the box to the sky material except the ground, the bottom section of the box. So deselect the bottom by using an ALT+Left-Mouse-Click on it. By the way; Ctrl+Left-Mouse-Click does the opposite of ALT, it adds to the selection.

Okay, so now that only the sky sections of our box mesh are selected scroll further down in the Modify tab until you see a section called Surface Properties. Click the plus to reveal more of it. Just a little down you will see a Material label and just below that it says Set ID and a number, this number is the material it will use. make sure its using the number for whatever you set sky to.

Now select just the ground mesh and set it in the same way to whatever number you are using for the ground material.

Do the same for any other objects, which at this point you probably should not have EXCEPT the B_Levelroot, which does not need a material assigned to it. The B_Levelroot is kind of like an anchor point for everything else.

### ERROR: Unable to find shader "unspecified"

This ties into your materials (which point to your shaders) not being set up or named properly.

### ERROR there are 36 open or degenerate edges

This means that your objects have holes in them and this causes a scenario to not compile correctly and can cause lag when it is in map form.

I'm sure it sounds a bit overwhelming if you read this far so upload your 3DS Max file and I can make the changes then you can compare them and see where you made mistakes. However, I use 3DS Max 8.0 so if you do not then I cannot help you further.

iTr0llzurf4ce

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 04:54 AM    Msg. 7 of 17       
i uploaded it onto mediafire so u can get it
http://www.mediafire.com/?n28349ujy34te8y

i made it in 3ds max 2012 so it might not work with your version.

Kills_Alone

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 06:36 PM    Msg. 8 of 17       
Like I said I only work in Max 8.0 for now, perhaps someone else can help. Try to make the changes I suggested.

Also, if you are using the BluStreak script to export (since the .ass exporter does not work in newer versions of Max) then you will encounter more issues you otherwise would not.

iTr0llzurf4ce

Posted: Jun 13, 2012 08:17 AM    Msg. 9 of 17       
would it work if i exported it as a .obj file?

Kills_Alone

Posted: Jun 13, 2012 11:47 PM    Msg. 10 of 17       
Yes, but it would not necessarily import or export all the pieces you need to see to understand what went wrong.

I think TwinReaper has a newer version of Max and may be willing to help you, he posts on here sometimes so you should be able to find him. You could also try to make a request for help on the MonstrMoose Forums (under the Mapping section) but you would first need to register to do so.

You could also acquire a copy of 3DS Max 8.0, there are one month trials as well.

Twinreaper

Posted: Jun 14, 2012 10:09 AM    Msg. 11 of 17       
The Plugin for .Ass exporting was not designed for Max over 8. While it may or may not work on some systems, it is best to develop inside the guidelines they set.

Your shot of the compiling command line looks fine. At the end of it, it tells you it compiled fine and that it wrote out the scenario. You may have UAC on, or possibly the process of actually writing the file may be blocked by another app. Either way, according to your shot it all went fine.

More to the point of this, if you insist on using anything higher or newer than Max7 or 8, you should export your model as a 3ds file. OBJ's from newer versions cannot be opened properly by previous versions. Something about the way the versions handle vertices and obj's in general.

iTr0llzurf4ce

Posted: Jun 15, 2012 07:29 AM    Msg. 12 of 17       
i found the .scenario using in h2 sapien, its hidden somehow not sure why, but when i open it (using sapien) it says the the map is corrupt.

Twinreaper

Posted: Jun 15, 2012 10:36 PM    Msg. 13 of 17       
Unlike Halo 1 scenarios, you have to light the map before you can view it in Sapien. Under the Halo Map.Editor Launcher Box, you will.see the option to "light only" on the compile bsp tab. Do that first, then load the map. Whenever a map is not lit or has no ligjtmap defined in the scenario itself, Sapien will view it as corrupt.

iTr0llzurf4ce

Posted: Jun 16, 2012 06:51 AM    Msg. 14 of 17       
i tried the "light only" option, it didn't work. I also tried the option "compile and light", that didnt work either. still getting the corrupt file error.

Also, is this what it is supposed to say when it compiles the light?

Edited by iTr0llzurf4ce on Jun 16, 2012 at 06:54 AM

I fixed it by opening the .scenario in guerilla, going to 'structure bsps' and changing the structure lightmap to the one used in example.scenario. But im getting a new error in Sapien stopping me from editing.

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=41039
Edited by iTr0llzurf4ce on Jun 16, 2012 at 07:58 AM

Kills_Alone

Posted: Jun 17, 2012 08:43 PM    Msg. 15 of 17       
When I want to compile the BSP and the lightmap the first thing I do:

-Compile the BSP with light, but set the light to the absolute lowest quality. Once completed you can view the scenario in Sapien without it complaining of corruption.

-Then you can keep making changes in Max and when you compile the new .ass file compile without light, this allows you to still open the scenario in Sapien.

-Now when the BSP is more complete, you compile it with light on full quality, or just do the light on full if the previous BSP compile has not been modified.

-Package and play the map.

BTW, your lighting is never going to work out properly with the example lightmap so I would suggest starting from scratch (tag and compile-wise, not the Max work) or at least set the structure BSP back to the correct lightmap first.

iTr0llzurf4ce

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 01:33 AM    Msg. 16 of 17       
so do i have to place lights in 3ds max cos i havent done that.

what u said about the lightmap not working, i changed it to the ascension sky in the tags folder using guerilla, the i placed objects and tested it in halo 2 and everything worked. but the map was too big so im fixing the size.

Kills_Alone

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 04:34 AM    Msg. 17 of 17       
You can place lights but thats more advanced then what we are talking here.

Basically the main light-source comes from the Sky and more specifically the position (and intensity and other settings) of the Sun.

Changing (or using a different) the .sky file tag is no problem and you will not notice and shadows or proper lighting on the BSP until full lighting is done. When you light on the lowest setting its kinda like you are just making a placeholder for the full lightmap that you would later compile.

Now, if you wanted to use the provided Ascension Sky but also wanted to make a few tweaks to it you would open the Ascension Sky tag, then save as and give it a new name. This way you never overwrite existing files.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon November 20, 2017 8:35 AM 157 ms.
A Halo Maps Website