A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Role-Playing is gone?

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Role-Playing is gone? (63 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

spartan_209

We're just getting started...

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 11:54 AM    Msg. 1 of 63       
Why isn't there anyone role-playing anymore or any role-playing server's?

I will understand if no-one does anymore.

Just can someone answer my question.

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 01:50 PM    Msg. 2 of 63       
Most of us play different games now.

Of course we could easily start a meeting and fill a few servers due to the close community relationship of the RP community but at the moment, most are inactive in Halo.

If you live in Britain like me though, you'll find that a fair few people become active after midnight due to timezone differences. Not usually enough to fill a server though.

Edited by Jaz on Jun 7, 2012 at 01:51 PM

spartan_209

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 03:17 PM    Msg. 3 of 63       
Thanks for the replie Jaz I know you've been in a RP clan before and after a while leaded it, I play different games to just that I came back to Halo CE to see no one role-playing, I was actually thinking of making role-playing populer again, but I could use a 'lil help though.

Jaz

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 03:30 PM    Msg. 4 of 63       
Quote: --- Original message by: spartan_209
Thanks for the replie Jaz I know you've been in a RP clan before and after a while leaded it, I play different games to just that I came back to Halo CE to see no one role-playing, I was actually thinking of making role-playing populer again, but I could use a 'lil help though.

I founded a very large clan and then took leadership of multiple new recent clans. I founded EoRP and later closed EoRP for complicated reasons, and then founded a new clan and assisted other recent clans, and ended up in leading positions.
But enough of bragging about leadership...

It would be quite easy to send messages across the RP community to temporarily revive players. However, it would only be very temporary.
What we need to make role-playing popular again is for a team to make a new RP map that offers more than just space.

OS offers what we'd need for such a task, but there is currently no team experienced or dedicated enough to develop a proper RP.

Unless of course OpsY is working on Curse again, which I'd be glad to help him out with if he is.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 03:54 PM    Msg. 5 of 63       
A good temporary solution, methinks, would be to look into having a decent RP mod made of an existing map, to keep the roleplayers occupied until something more purpose-built comes up.

Nickster5000

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 04:18 PM    Msg. 6 of 63       

This isnt true.

Many people including myself have gotten involved in clans that sometimes host public RP's, but do organized RP's with friends to keep the trolls out. The RP's we conduct are very high quality, and very fun.

For more details, you can PM me at xpfe5zrm on xfire.

Jaz

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 04:38 PM    Msg. 7 of 63       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODST_Nick

This isnt true.

Many people including myself have gotten involved in clans that sometimes host public RP's, but do organized RP's with friends to keep the trolls out. The RP's we conduct are very high quality, and very fun.

For more details, you can PM me at xpfe5zrm on xfire.

True. Have these gotten more frequent recently?
I agree that the private RPs are much more organised than public RPs.

Has anyone continued the idea of creating mini-maps for new RPs? I thought that was a very clever idea.

Echo77

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 04:43 PM    Msg. 8 of 63       
I could do mini-maps, maybe...

abkarch

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 05:25 PM    Msg. 9 of 63       
Must refrain from insulting RPers....
Anyway, the maps are awesome for screwing around, and alot more people play halo to do that rather than RP.
So thats why no one does it.

Jaz

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 05:41 PM    Msg. 10 of 63       
Quote: --- Original message by: abkarch
Anyway, the maps are awesome for screwing around, and alot more people play halo to do that rather than RP.

A lot of people mess up RPs on servers.

Which is why decent RPs are now locked.

I believe you're one of the people that has ruined RPs.

I miss EoRP when we instant-banned trolls.

If I can ever get my hosting working, I might host a constantly-moderated server.

Nickster5000

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 07:46 PM    Msg. 11 of 63       

Have you ever tried Role Playing?

Nope.

Echo77

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 08:02 PM    Msg. 12 of 63       

Nope.

Watch out, we gotta mind-reader over here.

Echo77

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 09:13 PM    Msg. 13 of 63       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tiel

Nope.

I myself have participated in more than one roleplay, used to be an avid RPer. But most of them are utter crap, just some 10 year old pronouncing himself general of the world in butchered english. I doubt yours play out any differently, to be honest.

^This. My picture of an ideal roleplay would be one part plot, one part strategy, and one part Team Slayer. Once a general premise has been decided upon (Why are we here, and what is our goal?), and people have split into their respective teams (Each with their own objectives in mind), everyone works together to achieve the objective. The more strategic, the more fun, I would think, especially if they were able to form squads and use more advanced tactics to accomplish their goals.

Rather than kicking/banning someone who decides to split off and create their own group, or gets a bit triggerhappy, incorporate it into the roleplay. Form squads to deal with the threat. Detain them and appoint guards. This, along with whatever skirmishes may arise between the opposing teams, would be where the Slayer aspect comes into play. A roleplay is more immersive if it adapts and keeps going, rather than continuosly stopping and starting to expel players who don't want to be shunted along a linear path.

Unfortunately, I tend to encounter these traits more often in a standard server on a large map, than I do on an actual RP server.
Edited by Echo77 on Jun 7, 2012 at 09:20 PM
Edited by Echo77 on Jun 7, 2012 at 09:29 PM

abkarch

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 10:27 PM    Msg. 14 of 63       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz

If I can ever get my hosting working, I might host a constantly-moderated server.

Na. I would join a RPG beta map server, and if more than 3 or 4 people were RPing, i would leave. Otherwise, i would just kinda screw around with another friend and leave the guys alone.

I would consider RPing a valid way of playing halo if the objective actually existed. I think ill look into making a map that has some bosses, similar to instances in wow. I know AI dont sync, but If you can fire projectiles at exact sequences at exact positiions and rotations, it wouldnt be all bad, would it?
I wonder, if you animated a piece of scenery to move around (like a rather large boss) and if the thing that launched the projectiles moved with it, would it not sync?
Edited by abkarch on Jun 7, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Echo77

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 10:40 PM    Msg. 15 of 63       

Na. I would join a RPG beta map server, and if more than 3 or 4 people were RPing, i would leave. Otherwise, i would just kinda screw around with another friend and leave the guys alone.

I would consider RPing a valid way of playing halo if the objective actually existed. I think ill look into making a map that has some bosses, similar to instances in wow. I know AI dont sync, but If you can fire projectiles at exact sequences at exact positiions and rotations, it wouldnt be all bad, would it?
I wonder, if you animated a piece of scenery to move around (like a rather large boss) and if the thing that launched the projectiles moved with it, would it not sync?
Edited by abkarch on Jun 7, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Moving scenery doesn't sync, either. The lack of a physical entity to shoot at is why I like having an opposing team during a roleplay.

n00b1n8R

Major League Trolling

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 11:09 PM    Msg. 16 of 63       
Serious question: What's the appeal of rollplaying in a game with terrible netcode, no voice chat, no scrollable chats, limited server-side modifications (factions are red and blue, no other options, no 2 teams in same vehicle) and a 16 person game limit?

Why wouldn't you go to something like Gmod if RP is your thing?

LegionofShadows

The Red Pill is strong in this one.

Posted: Jun 8, 2012 02:47 AM    Msg. 17 of 63       
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77

Nope.

I myself have participated in more than one roleplay, used to be an avid RPer. But most of them are utter crap, just some 10 year old pronouncing himself general of the world in butchered english. I doubt yours play out any differently, to be honest.

^This. My picture of an ideal roleplay would be one part plot, one part strategy, and one part Team Slayer. Once a general premise has been decided upon (Why are we here, and what is our goal?), and people have split into their respective teams (Each with their own objectives in mind), everyone works together to achieve the objective. The more strategic, the more fun, I would think, especially if they were able to form squads and use more advanced tactics to accomplish their goals.

Rather than kicking/banning someone who decides to split off and create their own group, or gets a bit triggerhappy, incorporate it into the roleplay. Form squads to deal with the threat. Detain them and appoint guards. This, along with whatever skirmishes may arise between the opposing teams, would be where the Slayer aspect comes into play. A roleplay is more immersive if it adapts and keeps going, rather than continuosly stopping and starting to expel players who don't want to be shunted along a linear path.

Unfortunately, I tend to encounter these traits more often in a standard server on a large map, than I do on an actual RP server.
Edited by Echo77 on Jun 7, 2012 at 09:20 PM
Edited by Echo77 on Jun 7, 2012 at 09:29 PM

Oh god, I was just reminded of Extinction and Coldsnap so much.

I agree. One of the most fun experiences is a firefight roleplay - not just a standard firefight, but roleplay as well. However, people often got the over-powered vehicles and owned us.

Whats even less fun than being spawn-camped is trying to accomplish a goal on your rp, but the boss has the biggest, baddest, meanest vehicle on the map, and kills you before you can say "I have gotten to the Mass-Driver" (Nick, I'm talking to you there. No offense, I was just really annoyed.)

Jaz

Posted: Jun 8, 2012 05:35 AM    Msg. 18 of 63       

Nope.

Unfortunately a lot of players refuse to play out in real roleplays on public servers, which is part of the reason private RPs began.

I never realised Nick was continuing the locked RPs. They were very good.

I once started a roleplay in which there were two teams in two different bases and they had to attempt to defend their bases while attacking each other, with a set limit of vehicles and weapons which I set through admin. Unfortunately, a bunch of those on the server were active trolls and wrecked the RP after having pretended to be playing along for a while. I couldn't ban them quickly enough, and they did more than just change the RP(They killed us all), and the RP ended.

Which is why I'm a supporter of Private RPs.

(Oh and I think I may know a few of the 10 year olds pronouncing themselves as General. They are quite moronic. I hate having to play along)

Quote: --- Original message by: LegionofShadows
Whats even less fun than being spawn-camped is trying to accomplish a goal on your rp, but the boss has the biggest, baddest, meanest vehicle on the map, and kills you before you can say "I have gotten to the Mass-Driver" (Nick, I'm talking to you there. No offense, I was just really annoyed.)

Agreed. (Nick is definitely a heavy culprit of this. His RPs play out amazingly well, until suddenly, bam, he slaughters us all)

I believe it was Ender who did the custom map series and did some great boss fights which involved having to exploit weaknesses and use strategy to win. Very enjoyable, and was still roleplaying, unlike the strange 'firefight sorta-roleplays' some people come up with.

Quote: --- Original message by: n00b1n8R
Serious question: What's the appeal of rollplaying in a game with terrible netcode, no voice chat, no scrollable chats, limited server-side modifications (factions are red and blue, no other options, no 2 teams in same vehicle) and a 16 person game limit?

Why wouldn't you go to something like Gmod if RP is your thing?

Honestly, I don't know. It's just fun?

You reminded me, I should really get a headset.

Edited by Jaz on Jun 8, 2012 at 05:40 AM

spartan_209

Posted: Jun 8, 2012 05:42 AM    Msg. 19 of 63       
Luckily I got xfire yesterday! I will join the clan if that K with you Nick?

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jun 8, 2012 06:17 AM    Msg. 20 of 63       
well...

ForeRunner

This isn't good, isn't it?

Posted: Jun 8, 2012 07:44 AM    Msg. 21 of 63       
I was also RP'ng but the older i get the interest just goes away, but i would like new maps for RP'ng, some maps where just there is a lot of open space, and there's everything in everywhere, activity is the best thing, if there is something to do the interest just grows.

Jaz

Posted: Jun 8, 2012 02:26 PM    Msg. 22 of 63       
What you really need to do is pump out some OpenSauce maps with all those cool gizmos and gadgets, seeing as you have a limited player demographic it shouldn't be so hard to have everyone install it, especially if you have these clans for it.

This is what I was thinking.

I might try to work out how to use HEK.

Nickster5000

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 12:38 AM    Msg. 23 of 63       

Nope.

If you joined one of our RP's, you'd understand why I think your statement is completely false.

Jaz

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 05:33 AM    Msg. 24 of 63       

Nope.

If you joined one of our RP's, you'd understand why I think your statement is completely false.

^This.

I have to admit, due to pressure from players(Strange people), I've resorted to pronouncing myself general a fair few times. One of the reasons I stopped doing public RPs though was because I didn't want to resort to such a task. Players should be able to think of their own accord without a super general telling them what to do.

It seems like all of the intelligent roleplayers go to Private RPs(No offence to others of course).

Don't be daft. wrap your shaft

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 05:49 AM    Msg. 25 of 63       
*Needs a rp map*

Oh btw about me when i rped in halo before.
I did grow up...
eventually

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Jun 10, 2012 06:30 PM    Msg. 26 of 63       

I founded a very large clan and then took leadership of multiple new recent clans. I founded EoRP and later closed EoRP for complicated reasons, and then founded a new clan and assisted other recent clans, and ended up in leading positions.
But enough of bragging about leadership...

It would be quite easy to send messages across the RP community to temporarily revive players. However, it would only be very temporary.
What we need to make role-playing popular again is for a team to make a new RP map that offers more than just space.

OS offers what we'd need for such a task, but there is currently no team experienced or dedicated enough to develop a proper RP.

Unless of course OpsY is working on Curse again, which I'd be glad to help him out with if he is.

Curse is indeed still alive but it's stuck waiting on a very specific element: the covenant frigate. I'm an awful texturer and cannot do anything good with it and unless someone gets that done, I'm not able to release Curse as a satisfying enough product.

Kal

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 01:52 AM    Msg. 27 of 63       
I used to "lead" an RP "clan" back in the day, and I can give you a lot of reasons why nobody RP's in CE anymore: The netcode is awful, there's only the two available teams, you can't have players from multiple teams in vehicles (Meaning that everybody has to be on the same team if you want it to work, and that leads to even more problems) you can only enter so much text at once, there's no voice chat, AI doesn't sync so you either have to either have some people on the other team as the enemies or simply imagine them, you can't really use server-side mods to edit stuff meaning that you have to rely on the map makers to make the whole thing workable (Which, unless you're working with the map maker or making the map yourself for your purposes, rarely fully works out), you can only have a maximum of 16 people (Which limits your ability to have players as enemies), people tend to spawn at pretty much random locations across the map meaning that people have to go and pick them up whenever they join, maps are often glitchy leading to even more player-fetching, and apparently 90% of the CE player base is out to ruin the whole thing.

Tl;dr, with GMod (Or for that matter tabletop games, or MMO's, or even newer halo games) available, there's really no point in using CE.
Edited by Kal on Jun 18, 2012 at 01:55 AM

Cransalad

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 11:13 PM    Msg. 28 of 63       
There was this app that let more than 16 people join your server ive seen servers with 36/16 people in them
i dont know where it went though
Edited by Cransalad on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 09:04 PM    Msg. 29 of 63       
Quote: --- Original message by: Cransalad

There was this app that let more than 16 people join your server ive seen servers with 36/16 people in them
i dont know where it went though
Edited by Cransalad on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Incorrect. The server size is hard-coded into the program all the "app" did was change what was reported. It never changed the actual server limits.

Jaz

Posted: Jun 20, 2012 02:11 PM    Msg. 30 of 63       
Quote: --- Original message by: xxSMGxx
well, h1 is not for rpg, it is made for action nd shooting, play wow its for RPG

And Romeo and Juliet is a romance. Your point is?

(Anyone who has studied R&J for GCSEs will understand this)

Jaz

Posted: Jun 20, 2012 02:18 PM    Msg. 31 of 63       
romeo and juliet dnt go play an action movie.

What? Please rephrase.

My point there was that R&J is not just a romance story. It's also a story of conflict. It represents the loss and disappointment caused by conflict. So though it's known as a romance story, it also shows conflict. Halo is similar. Though Halo is known as an action game, it can also be used for roleplaying and the story and gameplay can be understood in a different way.

Nickster5000

Posted: Jun 20, 2012 02:45 PM    Msg. 32 of 63       
my point iz its not made for it. y play halo with silly maps wen u can play a game desined for rpg like wow?

That is your opinion, not the other people who use halo for their desired intents.
Edited by ODST_Nick on Jun 20, 2012 at 02:45 PM

Jaz

Posted: Jun 20, 2012 02:52 PM    Msg. 33 of 63       
nd dat opinion myt b the opinion of many other ppl

Those many other people are commonly rather lacking in intelligence and maturity.

Jaz

Posted: Jun 20, 2012 03:24 PM    Msg. 34 of 63       
so if ppl dont lyk to role play in halo, dey lack intelligence and maturity??

People who don't like other people to roleplay in Halo lack intelligence and maturity.

OHunterO

Posted: Jun 20, 2012 07:16 PM    Msg. 35 of 63       
so if ppl dont lyk to role play in halo, dey lack intelligence and maturity??

Let me ask, are you male/female - If you are male then you put x's in your user names. That just screams "arse hole" to me, and also chav (dont know what the American term for that is).

Secondly, why are you asking that question? You lack intelligence altogether judging from your posts - init, u need 2 talk lyk sum1 wid intelligence dnt ya m8.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat January 18, 2020 5:50 PM 313 ms.
A Halo Maps Website