A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Methods of syncing mancannons perhaps.

Author Topic: Methods of syncing mancannons perhaps. (12 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 04:50 AM    Msg. 1 of 12       
Not sure if this has been thought of before or not or experimented with, but I was thinking about methods previously used to achieve mancannons. These methods mostly involved using playerclip to guide player movement through the mancannon or stepping through a indicated area and then being blown forward by a invisible explosion. Here is my thoughts. Why let a random explosion do the job. Is it possible to make interaction with a certain visible, or invisible, object cause a projectile with a defined velocity, angle of trajectory, and rate of fall be expelled from the object, attach the player in contact with it to the projectile and thus the player follows this defined course until the projectile comes into contact with an object? (BSP, player, vehicle, etc)

Now if I am correct, the method to create this projectile may not sync over the network, but player locations do and how the player perceives something in HIS/HER initial view DOES. This would be all that would matter in this case if I am not mistaken as only the host side would need to know the location of the projectile. All his movements as a result would still sync to the rest of the players in multiplayer.

Anyway, just a thought. Like I said, Not sure if anyone else has already been experimenting with this, in which case, if you have, I would love to see or hear about how the method works.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 10:36 AM    Msg. 2 of 12       
All I have to say is that it's rocket science for me.Well,from I understood,it's possible.Not sure if anyone tried this either.

UBE Chief

Raising the bar, one kill at a time.

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 01:39 PM    Msg. 3 of 12       
I fiddled around with mancannons in a modded asgard map I did (Valhalla) that do launch you out. Maybe you can refine them? Because all I did was modify the grav lift tags to provide a stronger kick...

eliteslasher

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 10:17 PM    Msg. 4 of 12       
I was mainly just wondering. I figure people have probably already tried it because it actually seems just TOO obvious a solution.

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 10:43 PM    Msg. 5 of 12       
You can make the projectile, but how would you attach the player to it?
Object_attach only works on named objects, which have to be "in" your scenario from the beginning. I don't think there's any way to attach a player to a projectile.

I used the explosion method in my map, without any playerclip. I just removed the damage penalties for falling and acceleration in the globals, then I could make the gravlifts extremely powerful (so they wouldn't fall short as they were flying over water) and they could slam against the wall at the other end to stop. I did use playerclip to make a top boundary though, since they were bouncing out of the map. The best way to do it, imo, is make the gravlift just slightly bigger than the player, and shape it so that when they hit the explosion, it will propel them out. For example, mine is a sort of curved thing, so that they enter, get propelled straight up, then hit the curved slanted ceiling and it changes their course.

Edited by UnevenElefant5 on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM

grunt_eater

Everything except biped rigging.

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 11:12 PM    Msg. 6 of 12       
The problem with using damage_effects is that they won't sync online, it's jumpy and irregular. It just doesn't work. The problem with attaching you to a projectile is, yes player locations sync(but they only sync every game update). So you'd be in one spot of the sky, falling, then in another(because the game updated), falling. And so on until you hit the ground.

Its like in halo trial modding when you put a piece of scenery in the map in the sky and go to play online, everyone without the mod sees you in the sky, falling, then magically teleported back up, then falling again, ect ect. You get how it wouldn't work.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 11:18 PM    Msg. 7 of 12       
Slappy used vehicle enter animations and subsequent teleportations.

eliteslasher

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 02:26 AM    Msg. 8 of 12       
as stated, the issue with explosions is it causes jumpiness and hence does not sync. The problem with the enter animation is it only goes to one explicitly defined spot. The main reason I figured it would be best to go with a arcing projectile form is that it goes in a defined arc or trajectory UNTIL it collides with something which would be much more realistic to the way mancannons were designed. However, if it is not able to be done, I guess that about wraps that thought up. Bummer.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 08:17 AM    Msg. 9 of 12       
(if ("This" dude is inside "here")
(damage_object (forceful damage effect) (playernumber))
)
?

grunt_eater

Everything except biped rigging.

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 04:41 PM    Msg. 10 of 12       
You mean

(script continuous gravlift
(if (volume_test_object "mancanon" (unit (list_get (players) 0))
(effect_new_on_object_marker "effects\mancanon\gravlift"
(unit (list_get (players) 0)) "body"))
)

?
This script would wait 'till you're inside a trigger_volume and then attach a damage effect to you.
But this would just be using damage_effects again. And, as stated before, they won't sync online. Lol.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 06:08 PM    Msg. 11 of 12       
I'm too lazy to read, so im assuming people are arguing (if they aren't, this is just a informational post *shrug*)

On objects that sync, the data that syncs is LOCATION (position and angle), not velocity. If you use damage_effects, unless they hit at the same time, the same number of times, the computers will see different speeds, causing the lagging effect. device_machines, similar idea, unless they trigger at the exact same moment, the players position will be updated, but their device wont be at the same place causing them to fall a bit before their position is updated again (fall through the device, or fall above).

You'd be best off tossing them in a vehicle with a enter seat animation that animates their travel, because while in the vehicle, you'll merely be following its animation, it shouldn't be able to force locations since you ARE in the same location (the seat), just playing an animation that may be at slightly different parts. Of course, this robs you of a decent amount of freedom since your stuck in this vehicle for the duration. Slappy had used this for his stuff, and I did say a few things, but idk if I pointed out everything I should of to him, that I haven't pointed out here either lol (idk, ask him if he still has the chatlog, he can point out what I told him and what I didnt) Stuff about if you had a vehicle go through this, etc (just directly doing it with only the stuff I've said so far would be bad, it wouldn't sync, it would just show up at the other side.)

OrangeJuice

Still here because their site isn't active either

Posted: Jun 13, 2012 08:21 PM    Msg. 12 of 12       
If there isn't going to be alot of mancannons, why not just sync them with biped-crush technique? at least then you will be able to snipe people midair :) and not have laggy takeoffs

EDIT> Oh! and being creative with level geometry
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jun 13, 2012 at 08:29 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu August 13, 2020 6:36 AM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website