A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »OpenSauce Y U NO USE?

Author Topic: OpenSauce Y U NO USE? (13 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Jul 2, 2012 03:40 PM    Msg. 1 of 13       
With the whole discussion going on regarding .yelo maps and OpenSauce I figured it might be wise to split this discussion off in a different thread.

Topic is straight to the point, list the reasons why you do not use OpenSauce.
Incompatibility, hardware issues, install problems, old fashioned, whatever your legit reason is.
This should give a bit of an indication what the main problem is for the majority of the community that try and use OpenSauce.

For me it's only incompatibility reason which refrain me from having OpenSauce installed at all times. (which I regret, because I would like to have it installed at all times)

Incompatible with:

Edited by Sean Aero on Jul 2, 2012 at 04:15 PM

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jul 2, 2012 03:44 PM    Msg. 2 of 13       
The reason why lots of people don't use OS is because Kornman didn't do anything past the bare minimum for end users, and we at CMT didn't do enough to make up for that. Things will change in the future. Right now, the best thing for anyone with OS issues to do is to rename the halo ce folder to something else, and do a total reinstall of the game.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Jul 2, 2012 03:51 PM    Msg. 3 of 13       
I think you got your URLs backwards.. I hover my mouse over them, and the destination are words rather than sites lol.

Also, its just the Xfire ingame that doesnt work, if you rename your xfire exe to something like zfire, and disable HCE ingame, it will work fine.

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Jul 2, 2012 03:53 PM    Msg. 4 of 13       
This thread is a good idea.

I'll repost my reasons, for the record.
- The main reason is that it simply performs choppy in it's current state, when playing an OS mod such as CMT's a50. Mainly happens in the exterior BSPs, the interiors seemed smoother.
- As a level designer, it doesn't offer much extra features that I would need, and the new scripts aren't a real necesity since I've found work-arounds for almost any problem I've encountered pertaining to level design.

So in short, lack of performance on my system, and lack of worthwhile features for me.

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Jul 2, 2012 03:55 PM    Msg. 5 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
I think you got your URLs backwards.. I hover my mouse over them, and the destination are words rather than sites lol..

Le fixed

Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
Also, its just the Xfire ingame that doesnt work

I think this is the whole point of having Xfire, in game chat.
Edited by Sean Aero on Jul 2, 2012 at 06:11 PM

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Jul 2, 2012 07:27 PM    Msg. 6 of 13       
No Xfire ingame
And just nothing all to special I would use myself

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: Jul 2, 2012 07:41 PM    Msg. 7 of 13       
It's why I still use the old-fashioned widescreen fix dll, xfire support.

spartin115

Scripter;Level design; AI; Animation

Posted: Jul 2, 2012 08:35 PM    Msg. 8 of 13       
I use OpenSauce, but it has some minor compatibility issues with launching halo through steam.

i.e. the F7 menu not working correctly. This is fixed by running halo through a desktop shortcut and not a steam shortcut.

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Jul 5, 2012 03:39 PM    Msg. 9 of 13       
So for the majority it's just Xfire support?

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Jul 5, 2012 04:08 PM    Msg. 10 of 13       
Yeah, pretty much my only and major regret of using OS is the lack of Xfire support.

It's unfortunate that Kornman refuses to cooperate with Xfire's developers who are fully open to support the mod if they can contact the mod developer and work on proper support.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Jul 5, 2012 04:18 PM    Msg. 11 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz
It's unfortunate that Kornman refuses to cooperate with Xfire's developers who are fully open to support the mod if they can contact the mod developer and work on proper support.

Other than courtesy, why would they need to contact him? its an opensource project, they can see any of the source code without talking to him, and they don't even need to compile custom builds of OS to test, as the anti-xfire protection is just checking if a exe called xfire.exe is running, just rename the test xfire build. It sounds like they are just making excuses to blame other people *shrug*

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Jul 5, 2012 04:48 PM    Msg. 12 of 13       
That's not the way it works Kirby. Why would they invest their time in working out compatibility for an open sourced project when Korn could willingly communicate with them about any issues on a personal level. They're not going to waste their time deciphering whatever info on OS is available when the creator doesn't care to help them out.

So shrug to you.

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Jul 5, 2012 06:17 PM    Msg. 13 of 13       
The non support of xfire is Also my problem.
I'll try changing the name of the exe tho

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu December 12, 2019 4:45 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website