A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »MS New Game Content Usage Rules....Wow...Thats a fail

Author Topic: MS New Game Content Usage Rules....Wow...Thats a fail (21 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

videoman

We are Microsoft, Resistance is Futile

Posted: Jul 18, 2012 10:20 PM    Msg. 1 of 21       
For those of you who do not know, MS just posted a new set of Game Content Usage Rules. Which I must say is a fail. Which can be found here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Community/Developer/Rules. The part that makes then fail is located near the bottom of the page, under the part labeled "What are the Rules?. Here is the piece of text that has made it a fail.

"In addition, your Items may not use the name of the Microsoft Game in their title. For example, we don't object to "Red vs. Blue". We don't object to "Operation Chastity". But we do object to "Halo [insert the title of your Item here]". We want to make sure consumers don't get confused. "

You might be asking "Why does that fail?" Or "Why does it matter?", that is because you cannot copyright a word that has been around for longer then the internet and gaming corporations. That is right....the word "Halo" is one of the oldest words in the English language (and other languages too). It has more then just a Video game meaning. Here is more meanings that it has:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_%28religious_iconography%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect
http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/a-ring-around-the-moon/

So....ya...I doubt MS will be able to hold their ground with this one. Because I doubt they can claim the word "Halo" and have every dictionary changed from here on out with their version of what "Halo" means. If they do, they will most likely be getting into more then one lawsuit if they try and copyright the word "Halo" for their own sake. Ha ha ha...Nice try Microsoft but you have failed.

So Dennis, you don't have to worry about either shutting down your website or changing the name.

Corvette19

Posted: Jul 18, 2012 10:31 PM    Msg. 2 of 21       
if so we will just change it to HCEmaps.org. screw you microsoft.

Kal825B

Last son of Krypt... Oh wait, i'm a clone.

Posted: Jul 18, 2012 10:34 PM    Msg. 3 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: Corvette19
if so we will just change it to HCEmaps.org. screw you microsoft.

YYYYYYeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Jul 18, 2012 10:54 PM    Msg. 4 of 21       
Well I'm pretty sure like only 3% of people even use the Game Content Usage Rules and Microsoft hasn't been cracking down on the people that don't so who cares?

OHunterO

Posted: Jul 18, 2012 10:59 PM    Msg. 5 of 21       
Operation Chasity is dead I believe... I did a bit of work for them, ever since not seen anything. Lost the phone number to the manger too :/

Nickster5000

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 06:46 AM    Msg. 6 of 21       
Is "Halo Custom Edition" copyrighted under microsoft?

This is a serious question, because i've only seen gearbox & bungie working on Halo Custom Edition, not microsoft..

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 12:30 PM    Msg. 7 of 21       
The new rule doesn't make much more sense than hating someone because someone else told you to.

Nickster5000

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 02:36 PM    Msg. 8 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: mastur cheef
Will this include custom made maps made by us? For example I create a map and name it Alpha Halo?

...or if we have textures on our map "decompiled" from a stock map using HEK+?

...or if we have ripped models from Halo 3/Reach?
Edited by ODST_Nick on Jul 21, 2012 at 02:00 PM

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 03:00 PM    Msg. 9 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODST_Nick
Is "Halo Custom Edition" copyrighted under microsoft?

From the readme.rtf file in the install directory
Quote:
Microsoft Halo for the PC Readme File - Halo Custom Edition
April 2004
Microsoft Corporation, 20012004. All rights reserved.

Megaguirus

Om nom nom

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 03:32 PM    Msg. 10 of 21       
Anything related to the Halo franchise would be owned by Microsoft

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 04:02 PM    Msg. 11 of 21       
'Anything related to the Halo franchise would be owned by Microsoft'

Thus isn't Microsoft legally suing themselves if they file a lawsuit concerning a breach of this rule?

Edited by Jaz on Jul 19, 2012 at 04:02 PM

chuckluck

"It's like Democracy, but with fists..."

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 04:03 PM    Msg. 12 of 21       
Give them a few months. If Microsoft thinks they're above 107, Fair use, then they're sadly mistaken.

videoman

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 04:13 PM    Msg. 13 of 21       
Not sure if many of the people posting on this thread read my initial post. It basically states that MS cannot copyright the word "Halo" for their own use. Because as I mentioned, it has more then just the meaning of their video game. So if MS wants to copyright that word...then they will be in a world of lawsuits no doubt. So for those of you whom are worried about making maps with the word "Halo" in it or worried about Halomaps.org being shutdown....you don't have anything to really worry about.

In the end MS has failed in trying to copyright a word that has been around since before their companies founding.
Edited by videoman on Jul 19, 2012 at 04:15 PM

YakZSmelk

- Environment Artist - robhow.com

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 05:58 PM    Msg. 14 of 21       
I actually don't see how this is that absurded, it seems completely legit. They are saying USE OUR CONTENT just don't put the title of the game into it. What is the problem??

All of you are acting like this is a big legal issue in reality all it is, is Microsoft reserving the right to remove content from web pages if it creates an issue with one of their franchises.

Creating a fan-made montage and creating a new multi-million dollar IP are not the same thing.
Edited by YakZSmelk on Jul 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Sprinkle

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 07:52 PM    Msg. 15 of 21       
Halo: Two AI One Masterchief

Quote:
Not sure if many of the people posting on this thread read my initial post. It basically states that MS cannot copyright the word "Halo" for their own use. Because as I mentioned, it has more then just the meaning of their video game. So if MS wants to copyright that word...then they will be in a world of lawsuits no doubt. So for those of you whom are worried about making maps with the word "Halo" in it or worried about Halomaps.org being shutdown....you don't have anything to really worry about.

In the end MS has failed in trying to copyright a word that has been around since before their companies founding.

It seems you are greatly misinterpreting what this means. Read the post above. Yah if you try and make a game called Halo you are violating their trademark, this would be the case even before this new policy. That whole game name "Scrolls" and "Elder Scrolls" dispute if anyone remembers it.

Edited by Sprinkle on Jul 19, 2012 at 07:58 PM

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 11:52 PM    Msg. 16 of 21       
But this site is not owned by Microsoft, right? So "halomaps" is not allowed to use and will Dennis have to change the site name to like: CEmaps.org?
That is not what it means and the original poster has misconstrued it as well. It is not a copyright issue as much as a trademark issue. A copyright covers the intellectual property or the idea of the Halo story and the trademark covers the use of the name. So technically the title of " The Halo CE Chronicles" is a violation of their usage rules but "Tales of the First Ring" is not even though it is a story set in the Halo universe. Also because it is a direct derivative of the Halo story I have no copyright claim to it or control of it's use. The website name is not a violation of their trademark, however I am subject to their wishes in regards to the content I host.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jul 20, 2012 01:15 AM    Msg. 17 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: FMT MasterChief
Let FMT troll Microsoft.

This isn't a too bad of an idea.

Nickster5000

Posted: Jul 21, 2012 01:59 PM    Msg. 18 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODST_Nick
Will this include custom made maps made by us? For example I create a map and name it Alpha Halo?

...or if we have textures on our map "decompiled" from a stock map using HEK+?

...or if we have ripped models from Halo 3/Reach?

Sheesh, fixed it.

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Jul 22, 2012 01:10 PM    Msg. 19 of 21       
This is all to prevent people gaining prestige by using Halo's name. Honestly, there isn't much of a difference other than that they're making sure people know this. What Dennis said is how it is and it matters about how the words are stated in context. The word "halo" is a noun, while the word "Halo" in it's (TM) form is a pronoun. MS may be very snooty and complicated at time, but they aren't out to sue their fans unless there is a legitimate reason (like with that Fan-Made Halo RTS being made during the beginnings of Halo Wars' development).

videoman

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 04:32 PM    Msg. 20 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: DarkHalo003
like with that Fan-Made Halo RTS being made during the beginnings of Halo Wars' development.

This is not true. The C&C Zero Hour Mod called HaloGen was actually going to be released even before MS announced their own Halo RTS called Halo Wars. You can also find some of the HaloGen units in Halo Wars. Meaning 1 of two things.

1. MS and the HaloGen team worked together on a deal to allow MS to use the HaloGen mod unit in their official retail game.

OR

2. MS shut down the HaloGen mod and stole the unit ideas for their own use. Without giving proper credit.

Either way, the HaloGen Mod for C&C Zero Hour did come first, and they were even going to release a full version of the mod BEFORE Halo Wars was even announced. So the whole concept of Halo Wars and the Halo RTS mod being developed at the same time is incorrect. Basically the HaloGen mod came first, MS got jealous and wanted to make their own. So that shut down the Mod and replaced the mod with "their own" game and dubbed it "Halo Wars the first Halo RTS".
Edited by videoman on Jul 23, 2012 at 04:33 PM

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 06:12 PM    Msg. 21 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: videoman

Quote: --- Original message by: DarkHalo003
like with that Fan-Made Halo RTS being made during the beginnings of Halo Wars' development.

This is not true. The C&C Zero Hour Mod called HaloGen was actually going to be released even before MS announced their own Halo RTS called Halo Wars. You can also find some of the HaloGen units in Halo Wars. Meaning 1 of two things.

1. MS and the HaloGen team worked together on a deal to allow MS to use the HaloGen mod unit in their official retail game.

OR

2. MS shut down the HaloGen mod and stole the unit ideas for their own use. Without giving proper credit.

Either way, the HaloGen Mod for C&C Zero Hour did come first, and they were even going to release a full version of the mod BEFORE Halo Wars was even announced. So the whole concept of Halo Wars and the Halo RTS mod being developed at the same time is incorrect. Basically the HaloGen mod came first, MS got jealous and wanted to make their own. So that shut down the Mod and replaced the mod with "their own" game and dubbed it "Halo Wars the first Halo RTS".
Edited by videoman on Jul 23, 2012 at 04:33 PM

Whoops, thought they were both in development at the same time. Either way, Microsoft pulled their licensing card (probably because the engine wasn't exclusive to MS) and demanded the project be put away. A sad story really, but the point is that you can't use Halo's name to gain prestige unless it's within the confines of the EULA. Now if you're already in this HCE engine, I'm sure they would care less if you used Halo's name since you're in the Halo game license itself. I do see their legality in taking down HaloGen though. Oh well, at least we got a decently nice console RTS out of it.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed February 19, 2020 1:49 AM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website