A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »oh look new weapon sounds!

Author Topic: oh look new weapon sounds! (32 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

CorpseManTS

Sorry, I cant hear u with my bullet in your mouth!

Posted: Aug 12, 2012 04:04 AM    Msg. 1 of 32       
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCHY5YEwqlQ
guys check out the weapon sounds from halo 4.
any thoughts?
to me the weapons sounds a bit too chunky, and the rocket launcher sounds like an energy weapon.
i like that "Ordinance Ready" sound.

time to record the sounds!

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Aug 12, 2012 01:44 PM    Msg. 2 of 32       
if we already seperated the sounds from this video, would posting a download link be in violation of the first cardinal rule?
Edited by master noob on Aug 12, 2012 at 01:44 PM

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Aug 12, 2012 05:04 PM    Msg. 3 of 32       
I think it sounds too realistic.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Aug 12, 2012 06:42 PM    Msg. 4 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dumb AI
I think it sounds too realistic.

I think I'd rather them sound too realistic than too fake. P:

Skyancez3o4

I miss CE

Posted: Aug 12, 2012 11:56 PM    Msg. 5 of 32       
For some reason, the assault rifle doesn't sound so... well.. "assaulty" anymore. maybe I'm too used to Halo 3's sounds...

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 02:55 PM    Msg. 6 of 32       
Nothing is wrong with me.Realism is not as important to me.It's the 26th century in Halo,for Pete's sake.
Edited by Dumb AI on Aug 14, 2012 at 03:04 PM

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 04:04 PM    Msg. 7 of 32       
I didn't say it was bad.It's just personal preference.I think sounds of existing firearms are unfitting for future weapons.

Sounds are going change,along with design.Gun shot sounds of future weapons probably won't sound anything like the weapons of this time.

Edited by Dumb AI on Aug 14, 2012 at 04:07 PM
Edited by Dumb AI on Aug 14, 2012 at 04:08 PM

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 05:28 PM    Msg. 8 of 32       
I agree with dumbo the ai

I find it ironic how 343 wants one of the most unrealistic fps's on the market to have realistic sounds. I mean a game franchise where you can hit targets by HIP FIRING probably shouldn't try for realism.

tbh, I liked the old halo sounds better because it held the halo feel intact.

In addition, I've shot many guns in my time, and I can tell you none of those sounds are realistic to what a person would hear when firing. I honestly don't think the sound recording technology we have today can fully record realistic sounding explosions and weapon firing sounds. If it really was realistic, our ears would've been bleeding at the end of the trailer.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 05:58 PM    Msg. 9 of 32       
It's just Dumb AI,not Dumbo the AI.Thanks for your agreement.

Echo77

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 06:46 PM    Msg. 10 of 32       

I didn't say it was bad.It's just personal preference.I think sounds of existing firearms are unfitting for future weapons.

Sounds are going change,along with design.Gun shot sounds of future weapons probably won't sound anything like the weapons of this time.

Sounds will change, as well as design, however, many weapons in use by the UNSC are actually fairly similar to weapons used today. The MA5-series uses the 7.62x51mm NATO round, which is used by modern militaries, and the weapon itself is a gas-operated short-stroke rotating-bolt bullpup like the L85A2. So I'd imagine it as sounding a lot like a real-world weapon.

Quote: --- Original message by: Delicon20

I find it ironic how 343 wants one of the most unrealistic fps's on the market to have realistic sounds. I mean a game franchise where you can hit targets by HIP FIRING probably shouldn't try for realism.

Halo is indeed rather unrealistic at points, but I believe the hip-firing can be explained by the vice-like grip of a Spartan soldier working in tandem with the HUD's reticle.
Edited by Echo77 on Aug 14, 2012 at 06:54 PM

Delicon20

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 06:57 PM    Msg. 11 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77

Sounds will change, as well as design, however, many weapons in use by the UNSC are actually fairly similar to weapons used today. The MA5-series uses the 7.62x51mm NATO round, which is used by modern militaries, and the weapon itself is a gas-operated short-stroke rotating-bolt bullpup like the L85A2. So I'd imagine it as sounding a lot like a real-world weapon.

Halo is indeed rather unrealistic at points, but I believe the hip-firing can be explained by the vice-like grip of a Spartan soldier working in tandem with the HUD's reticle.

what about ODST's?

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 07:00 PM    Msg. 12 of 32       
that one is quite simple

ODST's are just bad@$$

XD
Edited by killzone64 on Aug 14, 2012 at 07:00 PM

Echo77

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 07:17 PM    Msg. 13 of 32       

what about ODST's?

That would be the HUD reticle and gameplay mechanics. :P

flameomega

My animation portfolio http://farzad.csprance.com/

Posted: Aug 15, 2012 04:12 PM    Msg. 14 of 32       

tbh, I liked the old halo sounds better because it held the halo feel intact.

In addition, I've shot many guns in my time, and I can tell you none of those sounds are realistic to what a person would hear when firing. I honestly don't think the sound recording technology we have today can fully record realistic sounding explosions and weapon firing sounds. If it really was realistic, our ears would've been bleeding at the end of the trailer.

>...343 wants one of the most unrealistic fps's...

Why do people call games that are placed in the future UNREALISTIC.

You can't determine its realism unless you've somehow made a time travelling machine to go to the time that the game is set in. The game is "REALISTIC" to the developers' ideas.

Also...

>If it really was realistic, our ears would've been bleeding at the end of the trailer.

That's one of the stupidest things I've EVER heard of. Also, if you're saying that the sound recording technology we have today isn't good enough, have you played Battlefield 3? When you fire a weapon there are many things going on. If you're in a room/small building the sound wont sound like it's travelling a far distance, instead it will sound louder and more vibrant. But if you're in the open field the sound will travel and you can hear it "travel" and it won't be as loud and vibrant. Now if that's not good enough for you... I.. just nope.

Now stop flaming about realism in games.

Echo77

Posted: Aug 15, 2012 09:18 PM    Msg. 15 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: flameomega
>If it really was realistic, our ears would've been bleeding at the end of the trailer.

That's one of the stupidest things I've EVER heard of.

A gunshot is loud, an explosion is louder. So realistically, after sitting through that many gunshots and explosions, your ears would probably be bleeding. But that'd be a bit too realistic.

flameomega

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 10:55 AM    Msg. 16 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: flameomega

That's one of the stupidest things I've EVER heard of.

A gunshot is loud, an explosion is louder. So realistically, after sitting through that many gunshots and explosions, your ears would probably be bleeding. But that'd be a bit too realistic.

Why would a game industry WANT to make their players ears bleed. Is why I thought it was so stupid.

Bobblehob

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 02:18 PM    Msg. 17 of 32       
Seriously guys? The sounds are different, not really super realistic, listen to the pistol. No weapon sounds like that, and so what if they want the sounds to be realistic, they sound good regardless. They are different enough to be unique, but not that far from older versions. Just stop complaining...

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 02:23 PM    Msg. 18 of 32       
No.

flameomega

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 04:46 PM    Msg. 19 of 32       
No.

Iaintevenmad.jpg

Delicon20

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 07:26 PM    Msg. 20 of 32       
my opinion still stands, and no amount of raging is going to change it flameomega.

My points were perfectly valid, even if you can't see them. Go shoot an assault rifle for a couple of hours and tell me if you want 343 industries to keep trying to make it so that's what you hear everytime you play halo. I can guarantee the answer would no.

And the fact the in ten years our firepower will be more advanced than halo's ground military, than it's pretty obvious that halo's unrealistic. Our military's almost more advanced already

Echo77

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 07:32 PM    Msg. 21 of 32       
my opinion still stands, and no amount of raging is going to change it flameomega.

My points were perfectly valid, even if you can't see them. Go shoot an assault rifle for a couple of hours and tell me if you want 343 industries to keep trying to make it so that's what you hear everytime you play halo. I can guarantee the answer would no.

And the fact the in ten years our firepower will be more advanced than halo's ground military, than it's pretty obvious that halo's unrealistic. Our military's almost more advanced already

It is, in many ways, which is somewhat lulzy, but understandable when you look at things from a gameplay perspective.

*slideshow of Halo equipment and superior modern-day counterparts, such as the M90A vs the AA-12, the Warthog vs the Humvee, etc.*

flameomega

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 01:22 AM    Msg. 22 of 32       

Well balls to you sir. Because what you're saying is that you basically want to go deaf playing a game.

D'uh, ok.
Edited by flameomega on Aug 17, 2012 at 01:22 AM

CorpseManTS

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 01:57 AM    Msg. 23 of 32       
realistic or unrealistic mehhh, gameplay sound realism is not the point of the game, coz yeah, when u get your hands on Halo 4, u just blast your way through covies and prometheans.

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 02:11 AM    Msg. 24 of 32       
well, for those who want it then have at ye.
http://filebeam.com/21cbed27d8b2589dba541229a14757e6
i could probs do better on the AR, magnum and shotgun, but all of those were isolated as much as possible. i listened to em at varying rates of fire and they sound good enough IMO, just not very punchy.

flameomega

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 02:51 AM    Msg. 25 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: master noob
well, for those who want it then have at ye.
http://filebeam.com/21cbed27d8b2589dba541229a14757e6
i could probs do better on the AR, magnum and shotgun, but all of those were isolated as much as possible. i listened to em at varying rates of fire and they sound good enough IMO, just not very punchy.

Thanks a lot for this :)

I'll be sure to credit you.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 03:01 AM    Msg. 26 of 32       
I honestly don't get 343 when it comes to this game. The fact they're keeping some of the bad mechanics from reach and putting that into this game? Don't they know that game came before Halo 1?
Halo Reach- Good game, SP wise anyway. I liked it. Some new features made it better.
Halo 1- Great Game,
Halo 2- Good Game (couldve been better sp wise), still felt like Halo
Halo 3- Good Game (better then h2), really felt like Halo with a better look.
Halo 3 ODST- amazing game. Felt like Halo with some variation as the ODST. Would play again.
Halo 4- A major jump gameplay wise. Weapons and sounds and skins, just arent Halo. And I don't get why I'm seeing more of reach than any of the other games in this. It just makes no sense. Half the weapons disappeared since last seen in h3 as far as I know. No beam rifle? SMG? totally non-halo looking Shotgun and BR, Forerunner shotgun reloads like a human shotgun? Lol. And what is up with this SAW? It looks cool but it doesn't really fit IMO. I'm hearing way too much from the announcer as well. "overshield!!" "Speed Boost!". Sounds like hes falling over his chair in excitement or something. Covenant look Older rather then futuristic. They look like the Locust from GOW. Im not seeing many open-environments yet either. I will play the game, and maybe i'll like it. IDk. but i'm not liking it as of now.

CorpseManTS

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 03:05 AM    Msg. 27 of 32       
BEST. REVIEW. EVAR.

Echo77

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 01:14 PM    Msg. 28 of 32       
The SMG is gone because dual-wielding is gone. The M247 GPMG from Halo 2 could be classified as a SAW.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 01:54 PM    Msg. 29 of 32       
I don't see how that can be a good reason for the removal of a weapon
Edited by Dumb AI on Aug 17, 2012 at 01:59 PM
Edited by Dumb AI on Aug 17, 2012 at 02:00 PM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 02:03 PM    Msg. 30 of 32       
Isn't the Plasma Rifle still there?It can be dual wielded in H3 and H2.Why is it still there,then?

It's not. The Storm Rifle replaced it. The description of the gun even says its the evolution of the plasma rifle.

Echo77

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 02:12 PM    Msg. 31 of 32       

I don't see how that can be a good reason for the removal of a weapon
Edited by Dumb AI on Aug 17, 2012 at 01:59 PM
Edited by Dumb AI on Aug 17, 2012 at 02:00 PM

Because it was created for the primary purpose of being dual-wielded. Without its ability to be dual-wielded, it's inferior in most respects to the standard assault rifle. It'd be redundant.

Delicon20

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 08:35 PM    Msg. 32 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW
I honestly don't get 343 when it comes to this game. The fact they're keeping some of the bad mechanics from reach and putting that into this game? Don't they know that game came before Halo 1?
Halo Reach- Good game, SP wise anyway. I liked it. Some new features made it better.
Halo 1- Great Game,
Halo 2- Good Game (couldve been better sp wise), still felt like Halo
Halo 3- Good Game (better then h2), really felt like Halo with a better look.
Halo 3 ODST- amazing game. Felt like Halo with some variation as the ODST. Would play again.
Halo 4- A major jump gameplay wise. Weapons and sounds and skins, just arent Halo. And I don't get why I'm seeing more of reach than any of the other games in this. It just makes no sense. Half the weapons disappeared since last seen in h3 as far as I know. No beam rifle? SMG? totally non-halo looking Shotgun and BR, Forerunner shotgun reloads like a human shotgun? Lol. And what is up with this SAW? It looks cool but it doesn't really fit IMO. I'm hearing way too much from the announcer as well. "overshield!!" "Speed Boost!". Sounds like hes falling over his chair in excitement or something. Covenant look Older rather then futuristic. They look like the Locust from GOW. Im not seeing many open-environments yet either. I will play the game, and maybe i'll like it. IDk. but i'm not liking it as of now.

+ rep, couldn't agree more

343 seemed like they didn't go back and review halo 3 or 2 enough before making the game. They don't notice that everyone asking about halo 4 is comparing it to halo 2 and 3, not reach, because we all kinda wanna act like reach didn't exist. Bungee tried too hard with reach's game mechanics, halo 3 already had great gameplay and in many ways was the pinnacle of halo multiplayer. And as for the sounds, I think Ensemble Studios got it right when they spoke about their halo wars project, particularly the warthog unit, saying that everyone knows what a warthog looks like, drives like, SOUNDS like, and feels like, and they tried to recreate it's iconic feel as best as they could. 343 should've followed their example and realized that halo already had its own voice.

343 is also trying to make it feel like the flood, the brutes, the sentinels, and the other major factions of the halo universe as of halo 2/3 are just completely forgotten. I think they're trying too hard to make a sharp turn in the halo universe and drastically change the direction of the story. So much of the halo 4 universe just doesn't fit with the ideas of Bungee's Halo games. If I were making halo 4, I'd do it much differently

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri January 17, 2020 9:34 AM 265 ms.
A Halo Maps Website