A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo Custom for Android??

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Halo Custom for Android?? (55 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

nathanallan

I play as Pier_Solar3

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 01:39 AM    Msg. 1 of 55       
Hi guys,

I know I've seen mos tof you around the servers, and wanted to ask you all this: Has Halo Custom ever been ported over to Android?

Pretty soon I'll be getting an Ouya. I don't want to start a fan/flame war about it, I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about it as a game system. But it's going to be out there, and if ANY game needs to be on it Halo CE does.

So, has Halo Custom ever been ported over to Android?

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 01:51 AM    Msg. 2 of 55       
haha yeah on that POS OS sure. It'll sooner show up on iOS, or hopefully WP. <3 Lumia 900

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 01:51 AM    Msg. 3 of 55       
LOL

nathanallan

I play as Pier_Solar3

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 03:33 AM    Msg. 4 of 55       
I don't think I'll have buyer's remorse; it's a console that will already play a slew of games and do lots of stuff already, without any special developing.

It's getting a lot of support from devs, too, not indie ones. Activision has a FPS for it, and that's the only thing I can think of atm, but things like OnLive are also going to be on it.

So, back to my question, has Halo ever been ported to Android? I'm guessing not but thanks for the replies anyway.

spartin115

Scripter;Level design; AI; Animation

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 03:34 AM    Msg. 5 of 55       
No, it has not. If it was, Microsoft would take it down in an instant.

nathanallan

I play as Pier_Solar3

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 04:01 AM    Msg. 6 of 55       
Okay, I'm not too up on the legalities that surround Custom Edition, but wasn't it released by Bungie a while back, in order for it to be customized?? Doesn't that include other platforms???

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 07:57 AM    Msg. 7 of 55       
No, it doesn't include other platforms. The likelihood of even Combat Evolved going to android is none. The game depends on far too many things.

I don't see why the hell it would even make sense to have Halo on android, when you could just wait till you got home to play it like it should be played. The idea itself is just ludicrous.

So no, no matter what your opinion is about how you think it should be ported over, it won't happen. Simple as that. The end.

nathanallan

I play as Pier_Solar3

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 09:04 AM    Msg. 8 of 55       
Thanks, God Of All Software Development, it's the Ultimate Answer.

I'll bet that it'll happen, regardless of any opinion I have. I never stated any opinion, but you sure have. Very snide remarks, there, your attitude shines through, keep up the great work.

Anyway, sarcasm aside, I've seen lots of things happen in the software world happen that never should have but did.

What exactly makes it a ludicrous idea? The game as we know it has been expanded farther than anybody ever thought, so why not Android?

See, I didn't want to start flaming anybody but you wanted to.

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 09:27 AM    Msg. 9 of 55       
It won't be ported because Microsoft doesn't own Android as of yet and likely never will.
It won't be ported because Halo 1 is no longer viable to be put on a new market.

It won't be ported because Halo 1's code sucks. Android's not powerful enough to run this unoptimised trash engine.

(Good game, but remember, rubbish optimisation)

afD2345

I am the real afD from Teletubbies.

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 11:10 AM    Msg. 10 of 55       
if you get X window system(==X11) working on android, you might be able to play halo "on it"... but it would be difficult(keyboard and mouse) and it wouldn't be android version...

Edited by afD2345 on Aug 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Jaz

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 12:04 PM    Msg. 11 of 55       
Quote: --- Original message by: goldkilla88

Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz
It won't be ported because Microsoft doesn't own Android as of yet and likely never will.
It won't be ported because Halo 1 is no longer viable to be put on a new market.

It won't be ported because Halo 1's code sucks. Android's not powerful enough to run this unoptimised trash engine.

Bs. This is the most powerful engine I have ever seen for its time, not a "trash engine". You are a joke.
Edited by goldkilla88 on Aug 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM

For its time, yes. But now it is 2012. ;)

TauSigmaNova

If love is blind, I guess I'll buy myself a cane

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 01:20 PM    Msg. 12 of 55       
Lol guys you're funny. As an avid android developer, I'd know that some high end android devices are capable of a lot. Android is a much superior platform to iOS.

nathanallan

I play as Pier_Solar3

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 02:04 PM    Msg. 13 of 55       
I'm no coder but I haven't seen how a "ported" version of CE could not work on a decent (say Ouya) Android device. What were the original system specs for Halo, something like a PII with good ram and a 3D video chipset? I'm pretty sure most of these phones have the equivalent of that already. Besides I mean the Ouya, not a phone.

Android is a better engine plus it's open source, and I *am* a Linux enthusiast/user so that really appeals to me. Oh, as to anything being ludicrous, nobody ever expected to see anything Halo related on the >gasp< Atari 2600, but it's out there, in actual cart form to be played on a real system.

Personally, I'm betting a version does get ported to Android. Here: PORTED. Not copied and pasted, it'll take some work for it to run and it probably won't run natively. I'm not a coder.

Halo on the Ouya would rock absolutely.

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 02:12 PM    Msg. 14 of 55       

Bs. This is the most powerful engine I have ever seen for its time, not a "trash engine". You are a joke.

For its time it was as optimised as it could be, it was designed for hardware of its age. It is not an unoptimised trash engine hence, regardless of what time we live in now.

It is once again clear that you do not know what you are talking about, either that or you suck at communicating clearly.

What you probably meant to say was "Compared to game engines nowadays, halo 1's engine is inferior. When it was made the coding did not actually suck, and it was optimised for the hardware of its time"

shiza

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 02:32 PM    Msg. 15 of 55       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
haha yeah on that POS OS sure. It'll sooner show up on iOS, or hopefully WP. <3 Lumia 900

WP can burn.

http://i.imgur.com/mES1n.png

Nickster5000

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 08:15 PM    Msg. 16 of 55       
Quote: --- Original message by: shiza

WP can burn.

Nice photoshop skills there brah, or whoever photoshopped it.

Jaz

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 08:36 PM    Msg. 17 of 55       
Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates

For its time it was as optimised as it could be, it was designed for hardware of its age. It is not an unoptimised trash engine hence, regardless of what time we live in now.

It is once again clear that you do not know what you are talking about, either that or you suck at communicating clearly.

What you probably meant to say was "Compared to game engines nowadays, halo 1's engine is inferior. When it was made the coding did not actually suck, and it was optimised for the hardware of its time"

That is exactly what I meant to say. Thank you, Lodex. :)

Suprememessage

I am shadow, I am darkness, and I fear nothing.

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 10:02 PM    Msg. 18 of 55       
Halo, on Android, or iOS?

Hahahahahahaha,hahahahahaha,hahahhahahahahah

good one.

flameomega

My animation portfolio http://farzad.csprance.com/

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 10:48 PM    Msg. 19 of 55       

Lies, it's still one of the most amazing engines out there, sure you cant make everything as pretty as Cryengine 3 but still, look at what people have done with such an OLD engine. :l

Newbkilla

- Artist, Environment Artist, Level Designer -

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 11:40 PM    Msg. 20 of 55       
I'll make it.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 12:36 AM    Msg. 21 of 55       
Let's hope they don't bombard you with requests to stop development.

nathanallan

I play as Pier_Solar3

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 01:02 AM    Msg. 22 of 55       
Quote: --- Original message by: Newbkilla
I'll make it.

Do it, man! It'll be great to see it on Android!!!

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 01:51 AM    Msg. 23 of 55       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODST_Nick
Quote: --- Original message by: shiza

WP can burn.

Nice photoshop skills there brah, or whoever photoshopped it.

I lol'd at the blatant white circle on the bottom left. XD

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 06:10 PM    Msg. 24 of 55       

Android? Halo? HAHAHAHAHA!!! You are not even thinking about how Microsoft would react, with the new Terms and bullcrap.

If it is even considered, (1 out of 100 chance) it is gonna be on a Windows Phone (100 out of 100 chance). Period. Microsoft would sue the person who even tried making/porting a Halo game to Android. (Or even iOS for that matter)

Exactly. OP isn't thinking realistically. It will not happen.

nathanallan

I play as Pier_Solar3

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 07:10 PM    Msg. 25 of 55       
That's pretty realistic. Nowadays most things done with software is pretty realistic. I see it happening; it might not end up in a store for sale but as freeware. Most players who play Custom Edition didn't pay for it. What makes this different? Not a damn thing.

Jaz

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 07:28 PM    Msg. 26 of 55       
Vote for The Pirate Party... or better, in a few years, vote for me, for your local country, and then this might be possible.

Until then, your dreams have been shattered. I apologise and pity your lost dream of a free uncopyrighted world.

Newbkilla

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 09:41 PM    Msg. 27 of 55       

I hate to burst your bubble but i was kidding. I can make a pinball game for android and any computer running flash but i can't make a FPS ---> I'm almost 18, if I was able to create my own FPS, wouldn't I have done it already? lol

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Aug 14, 2012 10:48 PM    Msg. 28 of 55       
Even if someone did (which is like a 0.01% possibility), they wouldn't announce it publicly or release it since it would get shot down by microsoft.

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: Aug 15, 2012 01:52 PM    Msg. 29 of 55       
Why not make an android-friendly rasterizer that's compatible with gbxmodels instead of porting the entire blam! which, at the time, took overkill hardware to run.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Aug 15, 2012 03:09 PM    Msg. 30 of 55       
Lmao, the dude PMed him thinking he would actually do it. XD
I'm almost laughing to tears right now this is so rediculous.

nathanallan

I play as Pier_Solar3

Posted: Aug 15, 2012 03:47 PM    Msg. 31 of 55       
Damn right I pm'd him, at the time I didn't know he wasn't serious. Laugh it up fuzzball. With a few exceptions the responses to this topic have been loaded with teenage angst. Are there no serious programmers reading that see any merit in this idea?

So, you people don't like the idea. Fine. Instead of finding an alternate anything you start trolling. Nobody has mentioned anything very constructive at all. A few posts have been logical and unbiased, though, so credit there.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/threads/480971-Activision-veterans-pledge-Ouya-support

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/8/8/3227951/ouya-namco-bandai-four-controllers-plex-support

I am so wanting to troll you all back but I'll just leave it.

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Aug 15, 2012 04:08 PM    Msg. 32 of 55       
Quote: --- Original message by: XlzQwerty1
Even if someone did (which is like a 0.01% possibility), they wouldn't announce it publicly or release it since it would get shot down by microsoft.

Remember, microsoft uses windows, not android. Highly doubt that microsoft would suddenly start using android when they already have their own operating system. Microsoft wants you to buy their products and their games to use on their operating systems.

Sorry man, you're out of luck :(
Edited by XlzQwerty1 on Aug 15, 2012 at 04:10 PM

Jaz

Posted: Aug 15, 2012 04:23 PM    Msg. 33 of 55       
I did give the only valid suggestion so far.

Vote for The Pirate Party... or better, in a few years, vote for me, for your local country, and then this might be possible.

Until then, your dreams have been shattered. I apologise and pity your lost dream of a free uncopyrighted world.

Unfortunately, at the moment, there's this thing called ummm... the LAW. And at the moment, this law gimick thingy is quite corrupt. So it's quite... no, VERY illegal to port Halo to Android. :/

Edited by Jaz on Aug 15, 2012 at 04:24 PM

Newbkilla

Posted: Aug 15, 2012 04:37 PM    Msg. 34 of 55       

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Nov 13, 2013 08:35 PM    Msg. 35 of 55       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby 422
Well it would of been made but not enough people have belief!

Blame Masterz1337!
Blame MoooseGuy!
Blame spartin115!
Blame Jaz!
Blame XlzQwerty1!

DO NOT blame Kirby 422!

Vote for Kirby! Vote for justice!
http://kirbyforpresident.tk

-Kirby for President

So.... Why is there another kirby with a space instead of an underscore? *shrug*

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon November 18, 2019 6:37 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website