A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Halo 2 Campaign

Author Topic: Halo 2 Campaign (18 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

TheDoctor12

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 08:40 AM    Msg. 1 of 18       
Can someone please make a set of singleplayer campaign maps for the Halo 2 storyline. Like the CMT Single Player Campaign Maps but on Halo 2. If this has already been done please yell me a post a link. Also when i download any singleplayer maps apart from the CMT ones and put them in my maps folder i only see the maps in the create a game selection for multiplayer and then it crashes. HELP?

Thanks,

TheDoctor

Kal825B

Last son of Krypt... Oh wait, i'm a clone.

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 08:59 AM    Msg. 2 of 18       
Do you have a campaign UI?

TheDoctor1212

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 09:06 AM    Msg. 3 of 18       
Yes i have a campaign UI how else would i play the CTM ones?

Kal825B

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 09:33 AM    Msg. 4 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: TheDoctor1212
Yes i have a campaign UI how else would i play the CTM ones?

Do the maps appear in the campaign section?

rerout343

Targeted and Firing

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 09:40 AM    Msg. 5 of 18       
Ok first off, I highly doubt any one is going to redo the H2 missions. The time it would take to port all of the models, bitmaps, sounds, and BSPs(Especially the BSPs) and remake all of the animation as there is no way to extract them from Halo 2, is more than it's worth. And even if you did get them all, you would basically need to rebuild the missions from scratch. Also certain things like dual wielding cannot be properly replicated in CE's engine.

As for your other problem, I can help with that. First of all, you do not need a campaign UI to play single player maps. All you need to do is start Halo up in Devmode, open the console by pressing the "~" key, and type:

map_name nameofmap

with nameofmap replaced with the name of the .map file you want to play.

Also the reason custom single player maps do not appear is because a UI map canot get a list of installed maps for SP like it does for MP, and it can only understand the default campaign maps for some reason and thus making additional buttons for other maps would be pointless. The only reason the CMT ones work is because their map files are named the same as the ones they are replacing. Lastly, the reason Halo is crash is because you are trying to start a single player map via multiplayer.

Hope this clears things up.
Edited by rerout343 on Aug 16, 2012 at 09:42 AM

Kal825B

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 09:45 AM    Msg. 6 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: rerout343

Ok first off, I highly doubt any one is going to redo the H2 missions. The time it would take to port all of the models, bitmaps, sounds, and BSPs(Especially the BSPs) and remake all of the animation as there is no way to extract them from Halo 2, is more than it's worth. And even if you did get them all, you would basically need to rebuild the missions from scratch. Also certain things like dual wielding cannot be properly replicated in CE's engine.

As for your other problem, I can help with that. First of all, you do not need a campaign UI to play single player maps. All you need to do is start Halo up in Devmode, open the console by pressing the "~" key, and type:

map_name nameofmap

with nameofmap replaced with the name of the .map file you want to play.

Also the reason custom single player maps do not appear is because a UI map canot get a list of installed maps for SP like it does for MP, and it can only understand the default campaign maps for some reason and thus making additional buttons for other maps would be pointless. The only reason the CMT ones work is because their map files are named the same as the ones they are replacing. Lastly, the reason Halo is crash is because you are trying to start a single player map via multiplayer.

Hope this clears things up.
Edited by rerout343 on Aug 16, 2012 at 09:42 AM

Actually, it's mostly scripting and physics, we have just about everything else here. Besides Campaign UI's are much easier.
Edited by Caboose 14 on Aug 16, 2012 at 09:46 AM

rerout343

Targeted and Firing

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 09:57 AM    Msg. 7 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: Caboose 14
Besides Campaign UI's are much easier.

Yes, unless you want to play a single player map other that the normal campaign, then it's useless. So using devmode is still required for playing most custom SP maps.

Also, as a side note, even if you are running an SP map that can be started through the UI, I still recommend running in devmode. If the map does not have a pause menu, you have to exit the game by opening the console and typing "quit" and if you can't open it, your stuck.

Kal825B

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 10:46 AM    Msg. 8 of 18       
Just hit your start button on the left side of the keyboard

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 10:48 AM    Msg. 9 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: rerout343
Besides Campaign UI's are much easier.

Yes, unless you want to play a single player map other that the normal campaign, then it's useless. So using devmode is still required for playing most custom SP maps.

Also, as a side note, even if you are running an SP map that can be started through the UI, I still recommend running in devmode. If the map does not have a pause menu, you have to exit the game by opening the console and typing "quit" and if you can't open it, your stuck.

Start Button, Start Button + D (minimize everything and go to desktop), Task Manager Ctrl+Shift+Escape, Task Manager AGAIN Ctrl Alt Delete.

Suprememessage

I am shadow, I am darkness, and I fear nothing.

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 01:16 PM    Msg. 10 of 18       
Halo CE's engine would not support that type of thing because Halo 2 specifically uses features on it's bitmaps and models, textures/etc that cannot be replicated in CE. Another problem is as has been said the engine doesn't support things like dual wielding.
It's not possible to rip Halo 2's files as of yet

On top of all that it would be illegal to give you Halo 2's files if you don't own Vista.

Kal825B

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 01:28 PM    Msg. 11 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: Suprememessage
Halo CE's engine would not support that type of thing because Halo 2 specifically uses features on it's bitmaps and models, textures/etc that cannot be replicated in CE. Another problem is as has been said the engine doesn't support things like dual wielding.

On top of all that it would be illegal to give you Halo 2's files if you don't own Vista.

Actually, Open Sauce is looking like it is more advanced than Halo 2.

Suprememessage

I am shadow, I am darkness, and I fear nothing.

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 01:43 PM    Msg. 12 of 18       

But my point still stands that you can't yet extract Halo 2's files and that using them would be illegal.

Kal825B

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 03:06 PM    Msg. 13 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: mastur cheef
Who said that we would extract them, we can just remake them. Besides, there are already enough h2 mp maps on Halomaps. So if Microsoft doesn't care for the mp maps, why would they do for sp? Assuming that you mean tags with "files".

I don't really care about Dual-Wielding anyway, it doesn't have to be EXACT the same you know.

Yes, someone understands what i'm saying.

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 07:31 PM    Msg. 14 of 18       

But my point still stands that you can't yet extract Halo 2's files and that using them would be illegal.

You can't extract halo 2 files? Odd that darklord already did do so. Even bsps, but no there will not be a halo 2 campaign coming out

Kal825B

Posted: Aug 18, 2012 08:32 AM    Msg. 15 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: ItEndsTonight

My Advice, Make one.

Take this

- Learn how to script ( To script the storyline of Halo 2 )
- Learn how to use the Animation Recorder ( For the cutscenes )
- Learn how to rig ( Rig Halo 2 bipeds and weapons )
- Learn how to shader ( To make your port good and look like its on Halo 2 )
- Learn how to extract models and bitmaps ( For Halo 2 models and BSP )

Also thats not all, But that is the general. Learn the basics also of HEK+ and 3ds Max.

I will list some programs here :

Entity for Halo 2 model and bitmaps extraction.
http://www.remnantmods.com/archive/misc/Troy%20Mac1ures%20Folder%20(Reaper%20approved)/Entity%202.1.12.rar

Halo 2 model extractor.
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1303
Animation Recorder.
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5939

, Also ask the known scripters here

- Polamee
- Higuy
- Lodex
- MatthewDratt
- Pepzee

or anybody you know that has good expierence in scripting.
Edited by ItEndsTonight on Aug 18, 2012 at 02:31 AM

You forgot Masters and i think there is one other person on the CMT team. Oh yeah, how could i forget Kirby.
Edited by Caboose 14 on Aug 18, 2012 at 08:34 AM
Edited by Caboose 14 on Aug 18, 2012 at 03:55 PM

Twinreaper

Posted: Aug 18, 2012 10:33 AM    Msg. 16 of 18       
Even if you could rig extracted assets to fit CE and it's engine, you still lack the Havok Physics and collision support for the CE engine. Halo 2 relies heavily on the extensive shader system, a system that even OS can't compete with. Iirc, the most that was added to a great degree was the environment shader tag, and even that isn't exactly on par with Halo 2's.

If you want to make a great remake or custom SP experience on Halo2, then I suggest you join the H2MT and help us achieve more than we already have. Besides, how much of Halo'2 poly count, do you really think you could cram into CE before the engine buckles? Hell, CE would have a meltdown if you tried fitting a true H3 model into it. CE was not meant or designed to handle biped or weapons with upwards of 30,000 on low LOD models.

Twinreaper

Posted: Aug 18, 2012 01:45 PM    Msg. 17 of 18       
Not all use that many, but the nice most do. Understand, that the ripping programs are not perfect and also lose a lot of the poly, vert and texture cords when ripping. Not 100% of everything is translated over perfectly, and not all LOD models either. And I stand by that, saying show me one good looking low poly model rip that appears half as nice as it's Halo 3 / Reach counterpart. Cause lets face it, anything ripped with anything other than the official SDK tools, is a low quality rip.

I understand that a lot of time goes into making the ports you guys do, but the fact is, the engine is far too weak and out of date to handle or pull off anything major that each newer title presents. One of the behind the scenes reasons why we got a weak H2EK and no newer port of Halo titles, is also because the company (M$), knows that releasing a HEK in full with H2 or newer titles like H3 or ODST, would afford the community a way to play and recreate newer titles with very little trouble. In modding terms, it would be much easier to recreate Halo 4 gameplay and even Reach gameplay, with a fully unlocked H2EK. Largely due to the fact that the scripting system is a bit more robust, and the engine can handle a lot more than Halo CE. Plus the vast shader system it uses.

Again, I'm not syaing CE isn't an amazing title. It is, and it has produced countless hours of enjoyment for the community and myself. But at a certain point we have to start looking elsewhere and give in. BTW, it wasn't too long ago, maybe a month or so, Kornn told me personally that he was moving away from OS, since the userbase and community usage of maps made with it was not high. he stated he was moving onto Halo Wars and H2EK.

Kal825B

Posted: Aug 18, 2012 05:26 PM    Msg. 18 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: waffles
Didnt feel like reading the super long posts throughout, so ill say. Almost every single thing within h2 is extractable thanks to the people that put together the many programs that are available today, some that are actually still being worked on and updated regularly. This means every single bitmap (fx/decals/objects/etc), model (render_model/collision_model) except the phys model ofc, sound (fx/weapons/character/vehicle/etc). There are even meta data on shaders, and any other tag you can think of, to get near exact tag settings. The h2 tools hit its prime way after the h2 porting scene left unfortunately...

But i digress, As far as i go, i've done quite alot with h2 stuff if you've seen my thread... I can Rig, Shader, Tag, Animate, and just about anything else, except scripting :/

Even came up with some concepts to get minor h2 functionality/features in CE, like baking normals into lightmaps/diff maps, h2 patchy fog through weather tags, and blah blah blah. With enough experimentation, you can do pretty much everything thats possible in h2 within certain limits, such as the animation system... If we had more coders for OS we could have every single thing from h2, albeit kinda pointless to re-create a game within another game...

A novel thought though.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat December 7, 2019 6:20 AM 406 ms.
A Halo Maps Website