A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »OS install issues! We need your help!

Author Topic: OS install issues! We need your help! (35 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 12:23 AM    Msg. 1 of 35       
As you all probably know, CMT is now only able to work on maps that are OS dependant, and we are serious about making it as easy to install and use as possible. We've got a lot of things planned to make it easier, but we need your help. What we need to know from each and every one of you is...

1. Do you have OS installed or not?

2. If OS is installed, did you have any problems installing it? If you did have problems, what were they, and how did you fix them.

3. If OS is not installed, in as much detail as possible, explain what happened when you tried to install it.

4. If you uninstalled OS, why?

5. What third part apps, hacks, and addons do you often use? Do they cause any problems with OS? If so what are they ant what type of problems?

6. What files in your CE main directory have you ever replaced?

7. Does the lack of compatibility with xfire influence your decision to use OS or no.

8. what version of CE do you use, and do you have version changer, or have you ever used it?
We'll be updating this post as more questions arise, but for now, we really do need to hear from you guys about this.
Edited by Masters1337 on Aug 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Edited by Masters1337 on Aug 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Edited by Masters1337 on Aug 20, 2012 at 02:38 AM

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 12:29 AM    Msg. 2 of 35       
I have two Halo installs, one OS and one Non OS

2. If OS is installed, did you have any problems installing it? If you did have problems, what were they, and how did you fix them.
No problems. None uninstalling (when I did) either

3. If OS is not installed, in as much detail as possible, explain what happened when you tried to install it.
n/a

I have a few times just because I found no use (for me as of now) and the teams I'm working with are not using OS (TM Mapping Team)

5. What third part apps, hacks, and addons do you often use?
In halo; Xfire and Fraps. In Hek; Recorded Animation Program

Some of the sound files .dlls

7. Does the lack of compatibility with xfire influence your decision to use OS or no.
Very much. This is very frustrating having xfire always open on my computer to chat with and then unable to use whenever I want to play a game. It doesn't even have to be ingame, just let xfire be open while Halo is running. Just having to close out of xfire is the main issue.

8. Latest Version
Edited by MatthewDratt on Aug 20, 2012 at 02:07 AM

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 12:31 AM    Msg. 3 of 35       
1.No
3.I installed it,crashed Halo every time I ran Halo.Stopped using the OS HEK because of my lack of ability to use it.
4.My hardware doesn't support Pixel Shader 3.That means no VISR.Halo wouldn't start.
5.Custom maps,3rd Person FOV and DevTrainer/AllDev(for AI difficulty tests)
6.The executable,tags,maps,and the loading image.
7.No.I don't use xFire during gaming(for extra processing power)

Guilty_spark

enjoy my bright, blue, balls!

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 01:57 AM    Msg. 4 of 35       
1.yes

2.no problems

5.xfire

6.none

7.yes it does

8.I have a OS version and non OS version,I have version changer

CorpseManTS

Sorry, I cant hear u with my bullet in your mouth!

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 02:09 AM    Msg. 5 of 35       
1. Yes

2. One time I installed OS on Halo 1.07 and I got an exception error, forgot to patch to 1.09 because of excitement. Fix : Reinstalled Halo, patch to 1.09 then OS.

5. Dev Hack with Time Freeze, Sky's The Limit 3p view, Eschaton 1.8.0 and Lethargy

6. copied mcvr70.dll(<is this right file name?) and renamed it to mcvr90.dll to let me use tool pro to compile mp maps over 128mb. Amazingly, only 2/100 times i get exception errors. Mostly about over population due to flood infections.

7. My PC back home has no iNET and i don't use xfire. EVAR.

8. the Latest Patch, i have no V-changer, and never plan to use it. I'll stick to 1.09 FOR NOW.
Edited by CorpseManTS on Aug 20, 2012 at 02:10 AM

Masters1337

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 02:39 AM    Msg. 6 of 35       
This is good guys, I updated the OP with things in bold, please just edit your posts to include them if they apply.

ChBgt909

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 02:44 AM    Msg. 7 of 35       
YES

NO

n/a

n/a

Halo CE Devmode, never used it with OS on, yet

ogg dlls

No, i don't use xfire that much anyways

8. what version of CE do you use, and do you have version changer, or have you ever used it?
v1.09, i don't have version changer, never had
Edited by ChBgt909 on Aug 20, 2012 at 02:44 AM

spartin115

Scripter;Level design; AI; Animation

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 02:53 AM    Msg. 8 of 35       

Yes

I had no problems

N/A

N/A

5. What third part apps, hacks, and addons do you often use? Do they cause any problems with OS? If so what are they ant what type of problems?

Steam, causes a bug where the F7 menu is broken

Init.txt, Config.txt

I do not use xfire anymore, steam is better

1.09, I have version changer
Edited by spartin115 on Aug 20, 2012 at 02:54 AM

Hobbet360

ProTools > ToolPro

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 03:37 AM    Msg. 9 of 35       
1. Yes

2. I had a problem because I had the wrong version, I fixed it by asking someone (spark)

5. I use xfire every time I have OS running, I changed the name of Xfire.exe to Yfire.exe to fix this.

6. Init.exe

7. Nope, as I said I changed xfire to Yfire and have had no issues.

8. I use 1.09, no version changers used, ever.

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 03:51 AM    Msg. 10 of 35       

Think I do but I changed the name of the .dll so I don't actually load it up.

I had issues with an older version of OS initially, doing a full uninstall and reinstall fixed it however.

NAP

I basically only re-install it when you (Masters) wants me to try out their new maps :-)
Afterwards I don't see a point in using it and I'll just disable the .dll, OS has no interesting features for me and the graphical updates cause my laptop to sweat and overheat.

Xfire. I'm not sure what problems they cause currently. I just exit xfire when I test CMT maps.

Probably some sound-compiling related files.

Yes. I don't want to change my main community chat tool just for OS.

I just use 1.09

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 04:13 AM    Msg. 11 of 35       
Xfire can work with (or more correctly, next to) OS. Do what Kirby does and re-name the xfire.exe to zfire.exe and OS will run, although Xfire will not show up in game.

Gravemind

The Age of Reclamation has begun.

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 06:20 AM    Msg. 12 of 35       
1. Not currently
2. When I did have it installed i had no issues whatsoever.
3. No issues at all
4. No maps to use it with
5. None
6. Only the map files
7. No
8. 1.09 and no changers

TM_updates

Superior to you, Superior Musclez near Brussels

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 06:26 AM    Msg. 13 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Xfire can work with (or more correctly, next to) OS. Do what Kirby does and re-name the xfire.exe to zfire.exe and OS will run, although Xfire will not show up in game.

Yeah I've heard so. If I ever get a new PC and consider OS worth having installed per default, I'll keep that in mind. Alternatively it would be easier on the average Joe if the developers just allowed xfire.exe to be run now that the old hooking issue seems to no longer pose problems.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 09:25 AM    Msg. 14 of 35       
1. No

2. n/a

3. I've tried multiple times with the new builds to install them, and alas, they do not work. I followed the directions like what was said in the read me. When I tried loading Halo up with it, the game simply would always crash. Xfire and other programs were closed. please note, I have used OS in the past before the latest one (as in before T&R CMT SPV3) was released and those seemed to install ok.

4. n/a

5. Version Changer

6. d3d9.dll for previous YELO builds for FOV hack, etc. also Strings.dll

7. no

8. 1.09, not installed currently, yes

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 10:24 AM    Msg. 15 of 35       
Yes.

No.

N/A.

N/A.

I use Version Changer and Steam. No problems whatsoever.

Strings.dll. No issues whatsoever resulting.

No. In my opinion, Steam is far better than Xfire, and I use it far more often. I would recommend that everyone switch to Steam anyway, especially considering recent and future updates.

8. What version of CE do you use, and do you have version changer, or have you ever used it?
I use 1.09, the latest version of CE, and do have Version Changer. I have used Version Changer in the past including while an installation of Open Sauce is present. No issues.

Extra notes:
Motion Blur is the only addition OpenSauce offers which I most definitely can't run.
FXAA also causes some lag. However, Nvidia now offers a more performance friendly alternative implementation of FXAA built into the Nvidia Control Panel/Inspector, which works with any games.

Edited by Jaz on Aug 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM

renegade343

CE3 Stage Modeler, Editor, and Writer

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 10:45 AM    Msg. 16 of 35       
As much as I'd like to, NO.

Install rejected due to something being missing in the Halo: CE registry. (...I'm sure you know what it is; it's kind of my fault, but.. yeah.)

Since, because of the reason above, having an unusable OS installer would be meaningless.

None -I don't use any third party apps; even in the future, OS may be the only one I will use.

None -however, I have installed the Halo Editing Kit(s?) and a large amount of custom maps.

It probably would NOT affect my decision; even though Xfire is kind of the de facto chat client for Halo, some things'll have to be sacrificed. (I've kinda been shying away from using it recently, anyways)

1.09, no version changer -though, with the approach(?) of the CMT-SPV3 UI "map", I'd like to give it a shot when/if a Version Changer comes along with it.

Spiral

I hope i'm out of the way

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 10:46 AM    Msg. 17 of 35       
Yes

OS gurrilla and OS sapien didn't install one time for both me and heempy. we reinstalled and it worked just fine :/

-

cause question 2

... idk

ogg dlls, and ui.map

No, it would be nice to have xfire though :/

v1.09, I don't have halo version changer, never used it.

Suprememessage

I am shadow, I am darkness, and I fear nothing.

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 11:29 AM    Msg. 18 of 35       
1.) Yes I have OS installed

2.) I had a problem where I had to have a friend give me d3d9.dll because even though the installer said it was succesfully installed these files were not added. After this I had no further problems.

3.) N/A

4.) I only uninstall OS when I'm using Xfire to take videos, then I reinstall it

5.) I use Skys The Limit

6.) UI.Map was replaced with a Halo 3 styled UI.

7.) Yes, I occasionally remove it solely to use Xfire

8.) I use v1.09, I tried to use version changer but I had very strange problems such as decals not appearing.

Dark Neon

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 02:35 PM    Msg. 19 of 35       
I currently have it installed.

None what so ever.

N/A

N/A

Steam overlay. No problems so far iirc.

A couple of the sound .dlls.

Not really. It was a pain in the ass at first but I got over it.

Edited by Dark Neon on Aug 20, 2012 at 02:36 PM

nihao123456ftw

Posted: Aug 26, 2012 08:05 PM    Msg. 20 of 35       
Yes
Only a bit because I had a cracked version of halo on version 1.00, managed to work around that though (probably shouldn't discuss how since that's against the forum rules). (my friend Reeiiko is having lots of problems installing it though I think).
n/a (all i know with Reeiiko's problem is that the installer stops responding and then after he mentioned something about the stopped responding window stopped responding itself)
n/a
5. What third part apps, hacks, and addons do you often use? Do they cause any problems with OS? If so what are they and what type of problems?
See 6., no problems except for xfire, I was about to get a 3rd person program but someone said that it conflicted with OS
Recording animation editor (strings.dll), version changer (strings.dll), xfire (d3d9.dll), updated vorbis encoder dlls (forgot which dlls, but does replace dll files in main directory)
Yes. I want to be able to record xfire videos in OS maps, but I am not able to since XIG is incompatible with OS (I don't really know any other better free game recording software. Besides, I mainly use xfire as my video channel)
1.09ce, Yes, because not many people play on version 1.09ce, only 1.00ce

HaloExtreme117

~Gone~

Posted: Aug 29, 2012 04:13 PM    Msg. 21 of 35       
Quote:
1. Do you have OS installed?

Yep.
Quote:

Never had any problems.
Quote:

N/A
Quote:

N/A
Quote:

Xfire, and never had any problems with it. Just renamed it to zfire, and it's never caused any problems.
Quote:

None
Quote:
7. Does the lack of compatibility with xfire influence your decision to use OS or not?

What lack of compatibility?
Quote:

1.09, and nope.

Kozakuu

Only the person who was wisdom can read the most.

Posted: Sep 3, 2012 07:23 AM    Msg. 22 of 35       
Yes.

No.

None.

None.

No.

Latest. I use version changer.

Note: Encountered motion blur errors post-installation.

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Sep 3, 2012 03:03 PM    Msg. 23 of 35       
1. no
5. Wineskin
6. the UI
7. no
8. 1.09, both using auto update, and getting the direct install

Well, I'm running Mac OSx MountainLion and I am using wineskin as an intermediate to play halo CE.

WHen I try to install the OS, it states that 1.09 has not been found within the registry. Is there anyway you could patch one for wineskin/Mac or even manually give me the files I need to place/replace into Halo's system?

Masters1337

Posted: Sep 3, 2012 06:39 PM    Msg. 24 of 35       
Did you install through the actual installer? How does WINEskin deal with programs that write to the registry. I use Mountain Lion myself, planning on switching all my stuff off of windows when I get my next Mac.

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Sep 3, 2012 06:44 PM    Msg. 25 of 35       
yes, and I used the wineskin wrapper to run the OS install .msi, it runs normally, but it won't install due to not finding the correct registry. I'm not sure how wineskin handles programs that write to the registry, I'll look into it.

http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys

I don't really understand it, but is this what you are looking for?

Edited by SilentJacket on Sep 3, 2012 at 07:05 PM

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Sep 4, 2012 05:29 AM    Msg. 26 of 35       
might aswell reply too.

~no

~didn't have any problems installing or running it.

~ was all good i just don't use it right now.

~ i don't think anything i will model will need anything more than the shader abilitys than normal hek already allows.
and don't plan on going over the limits for example Mp maps.

~i had no problems.

~ the folders clean nothing changed really.

~i use xfire but the clash of it with OS wouldn't force me not to use OS, after all xf is just another chat app. there's always pidgen.

~1.09 but hardly anyone at my home bothers to play so much. is mainly for testing models/bsp.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Sep 5, 2012 05:09 AM    Msg. 27 of 35       
Yes

No problems installing.

N/A

Haven't uninstalled ;)

Sky's the Limit? The only problem is hotkey overlaps but that's easily fixable.

strings.dll (Right now I'm using original), does tags, map and data folder count?

I renamed xfire to zfire, and had xfire ingame disabled for Halo Custom Edition.

I have the latest version. I have used version changer before (not anymore).

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Sep 9, 2012 09:18 PM    Msg. 28 of 35       
http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys

I don't really understand it, but is this what you are looking for?

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Sep 9, 2012 09:54 PM    Msg. 29 of 35       
I have OS installed, but for some reason in cuts down of my FPS. I usually get about 100 on my UI menu, but using OS cuts it down to about 60, and there are no graphical differences to speak of that would cause this.

I use an ATI Radeon graphics card.

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Sep 9, 2012 10:37 PM    Msg. 30 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
I have OS installed, but for some reason in cuts down of my FPS. I usually get about 100 on my UI menu, but using OS cuts it down to about 60, and there are no graphical differences to speak of that would cause this.

I use an ATI Radeon graphics card.

Using "an" ATI Radeon graphics card doesn't help at all. What would be more helpful is the make of your model. You're probably using an integrated graphics card, eg hd 4200 or 3200 series.

However, the fps difference is substantially large in terms of OS and non OS (needs an optimization?) At the main menu, my fps without OS is around 1100, whereas with OS, it drops down to 400.
Edited by XlzQwerty1 on Sep 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Masters1337

Posted: Sep 9, 2012 10:49 PM    Msg. 31 of 35       
Is motion blur enabled?

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 03:38 PM    Msg. 32 of 35       
Set to a very low value, I think 0.3 or 0.5.

Masters1337

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 04:13 PM    Msg. 33 of 35       
and with it off?

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 04:49 PM    Msg. 34 of 35       
My bad, that was the fps with it off. the settings were "<MotionBlur enabled="false" amount="0" />" for around 400 fps, with it on it goes down to 200.
Edited by XlzQwerty1 on Sep 10, 2012 at 04:50 PM

kornman00

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 05:50 PM    Msg. 35 of 35       
Just want to let it be known that Masterz is helping us track down install/runtime issues. Problems discovered here, that weren't already reported in our issues system, will be hopefully fixed in the next update (which may or may not come out before 3.1)

When it comes to perf issues, keep in mind that Bloom, GBuffer, and shader extensions are all on by default. The latter of which requires maps utilizing OS to actually affect perf, but the former two can cause perf issues in stock setups if your system is using older hardware. Motion blur use to be on by default (should be off by default in 3.0.3), which was a perf drain for some people.

It should be noted (sadly) that, unlike engines like Anvil or Crysis, we're not dealing with the source to the engine or designing builtin systems (eg, GFX) from the ground up with certain features in mind. We're tacking these features onto a pre-existing, closed source engine. Work that only comes from reverse engineering. Such additives will of course perform at a lower rate than the stock engine, when compared on the same exact hardware.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat December 7, 2019 6:20 AM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website