A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »High poly/hi-res map team members wanted

Page 1 of 7 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · Next
Author Topic: High poly/hi-res map team members wanted (245 messages, Page 1 of 7)
Moderators: Dennis

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 05:28 AM    Msg. 1 of 245       
Hey everyone, I am looking for a group willing to go as far as it takes to make this game a visual splendor while still keeping great FPS gameplay. I am calling any map makers with skills in the following to assist me.

Structure mapping (Eliteslasher)
Environment mapping (Pvt. Caboose)
Model creation (bourrin, ODST_Nick)
Bitmap creation (Eliteslasher)
Shaders (Bourrin, waffles)
Tagsets (bourrin, wafles)
Portals (ODST_Nick)
Concept art (Eliteslasher, SilentJacket)
Technical assist (bourrin, waffles)
OS assistance (waffles)
Lighting (SilentJacket)

Current personal WIPs I am trying to get to finishing...

These are simply some of my personal projects, however I am open to continue them with others, or create new projects. Either way, I am looking for members willing to work on Hi-poly, detailed MP, SP, or firefight maps. If interested, please contact me through Halomaps PM as I currently do not have XFire installed. I would love to get as many people as possible and make this a large scale community project with works on as many maps as possible and as non exclusive as possible (except for the trolls ).

Edited by eliteslasher on Sep 22, 2012 at 01:09 PM

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 05:33 AM    Msg. 2 of 245       
k. You know how to contact me
I mean get on xfire.
Edited by bourrin33 on Sep 22, 2012 at 05:34 AM

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 11:03 AM    Msg. 3 of 245       
Quote: --- Original message by: Private Caboose
I can do highly detailed environments, but not structures. So if you want help with the environment, feel free to PM me or add "hiralis" on xfire.

not to sound annoying, but I really think that with most recent halo maps, while the structures, weapons, and vehicles look amazing, the natural terrain seems to lack so much. It might just be the contrast between the rest of the map, and the terrain, but how about some reach-esq cliffs and hills, and not so much the 6-triangle drop downs.
Edited by SilentJacket on Sep 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 11:22 AM    Msg. 4 of 245       
would it be possible to mod the engine so that it is capable of doing so?

can opensauce do that?

also, I can also do concept art if anyone is interested.
Edited by SilentJacket on Sep 22, 2012 at 11:23 AM

ChBgt909

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 11:49 AM    Msg. 5 of 245       
Quote: --- Original message by: waffles
Alot of the environment stuff has to do with the shaders more than the geometry honestly. h3 and up had wayyyyy better shader systems for environment based geometry, like 4 channel blend maps for 4 seperate detail maps/normals, as with hce we get 1 channel with black and white pixel info for 2 blends of detail maps without seperate normals, not to mention how hard it is to get normal mapping to look right without a decent lighting system.

that's true, you can have a low poly object, but as long as you know how to texture it and know how to distribute the polis, it'll look better than a high poly one with bad mapping

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 11:49 AM    Msg. 6 of 245       
will these maps be .yelo then?

might be a good incentive to do an overhaul on the CE engine.

I would absolutely love to help with this, but I'm still trying to figure out all the bits of 3DS max and HEK.

eliteslasher

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 11:57 AM    Msg. 7 of 245       
I am considering using open sauce only for SP or FF maps. From what I understand, it would probably just hinder playability in MP maps.

Also, people needing help on 3ds max, there are a few good tutorials on structure creation as well as terrain creation on youtube. Even if it doesn't have to do with halo, it will help familiarize you with all the tools and what they do.

Ubergoober

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 12:01 PM    Msg. 8 of 245       
lighting- silicon master
texturing and details- gaigher
Edited by Ubergoober on Sep 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM

eliteslasher

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 12:03 PM    Msg. 9 of 245       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ubergoober

lighting- silicon master
texturing and details- gaigher
Edited by Ubergoober on Sep 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Hmm, gaigher eh? Would that mean the maps would have.. um... secret rooms?! :D

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 12:15 PM    Msg. 10 of 245       
I suck at structures etc but I can do a lot about objects, even if my help is usually passive, I give my stuff as long as the result is good.
I'm also full of advices and solution for technical/tagging matters.

eliteslasher

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 12:17 PM    Msg. 11 of 245       
Aw. Bummer. It would be awesome to have some crazy lighting. That is where I find a lot of maps fail visually. Out of curiosity Waffles, by die, like it would take long times or probably not compile the lighting?

Anyway, if you are interested in this, post your name and positions you believe you can help fill
Note that just because someone is filling a position doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool to have as MUCH help as possible.
Edited by eliteslasher on Sep 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Edit: Also, Uber, is that a proposition from those 2 to assist? If so I will add them to the list of possible assistees.
Edited by eliteslasher on Sep 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Hey guys I also just thought of possibly a slight problem. Since I have had to use my student email to get 3DS Max, I am currently on the latest version. I know that by exporting to halo and back out, files can be transferred and hold their texture coordinates but that is such a crap way of doing it. Does anyone know a better way of exporting say from 2013 to max 8 for the people still using that? From what I understand, .3ds and .obj do not properly keep coordinates from the latest back to Max 8.
Edited by eliteslasher on Sep 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 12:38 PM    Msg. 12 of 245       
that's Ironic. I have the specs, but you have the knowhow. guess that is incentive for me to hurry up.

eliteslasher

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 12:47 PM    Msg. 13 of 245       
Waffles, I assume you would be able to assist others with better computers though in the lighting methods. Heck, if need be, if we can't figure it out, there is always teamviewer I suppose.

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 12:58 PM    Msg. 14 of 245       
$1,829 is a bit too steep for me....

um, any alternatives?

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 01:06 PM    Msg. 15 of 245       
I didn't know 3ds max could do that

I'm gunna go sort through some tutorials now...

eliteslasher

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 01:26 PM    Msg. 16 of 245       
Anyway, I need to get heading to work so I won't be back on until 10:00 EST most likely.

One thought for you guys to discuss while I'm gone though. Thoughts on using a dropbox program for making models, bitmap, tag WIPs, etc available to all who have the username and PW. Is this a good idea for this sort of community project or not.
I personally thought this would make it easy especially if someone needed to go away or not be available for a while, they could just put their latest works in their file in dropbox and others could then perhaps try and finish or at least help move the project further. I figured this would just keep small things like people being AFK for days from having an impact on the speed of a map/tag's progress.

Anyway, discuss it if you like.
Also, again, I ask that if you are interested in being a contributor, you post what positions you feel you can fill or if you think of another position undefined, go ahead and post that you would like to fill it and I will try and update the the positions at the top of this post.

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 01:36 PM    Msg. 17 of 245       
do I have full reign over map idea designs, or do you already have a set of maps that you want to do. I do forge in reach, so I have a fair amount of knowledge concerning map flow and aesthetics.

I am however, just making the transition from forge to HEK, so be nice
Edited by SilentJacket on Sep 22, 2012 at 01:36 PM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 02:18 PM    Msg. 18 of 245       
I can help?

eliteslasher

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 10:30 PM    Msg. 19 of 245       
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
I can help?

My good sir, I'm sure I can speak for the whole community when I say that your help is ALWAYS welcome!

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Sep 23, 2012 01:30 AM    Msg. 20 of 245       
:)
The pictures on top of this page do look very nice, good job you.

eliteslasher

Posted: Sep 23, 2012 01:54 AM    Msg. 21 of 245       
Thank you. Though in all honesty, I think i could do better even. :)

Also, if we have a few people on tomorrow at about 12:00 P.M. EST, I would like to get a xfire chat up quick to talk about a few preliminary things. Before I do anything else I would like to make sure to see what everyone wants to do, at the very least style and gametype-wise, as far as a first project to start working on or thinking about ideas for.

Also, I am still looking for more people to fill any position. Though many positions are filled, many have not yet even been defined and it never hurts to have more than one person fill a position when it's a community style project such as this.

EDIT:
@SilentJacket
I do not have any set ideas yet. While I do have ideas, I am of the belief that all possibilities/ideas should be weighed and measured before a decision is made. Also, I do not intend to be the one "mandating" decisions. I believe that among reasonable people, a group decision can be made quick enough if the members try to not completely bias themselves to their own ideas and keep an open mind to what is the best route. In all honesty, I am just a BSP modeler/texturer who would love to see this game move more to some playable aesthetic maps, and that is why I would like to get this community team together. granted, there are a few of these types of maps already out there, I think, a few rational people with a coming together of good ideas and the knowledge those people hold will equal very successful projects. Having set ideas for maps will only serve to hinder the potential for collective creativity.
Edited by eliteslasher on Sep 23, 2012 at 02:12 AM

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Sep 23, 2012 09:23 AM    Msg. 22 of 245       
I'm gunna have fun with this

so, I can start getting designs to you in a few days. TBH, I can't do anything about midnight, but If you can leave some briefing notes I'll do my best. what I was thinking is that I will scan my concept art and design layout here and just leave it for discussion. that way, there is no need for us to meet at the same time. We will need a project leader though, and whether you like it or not, that might just be you.

If there is no way around it, I will try to be online then, but..yeah.

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Sep 23, 2012 10:28 AM    Msg. 23 of 245       
I haven't messed with lightmapping, but I know enough about 3dsmax to know how to create impressive indoor and outdoor lighting. I may be able to help in that field

eliteslasher

Posted: Sep 23, 2012 12:14 PM    Msg. 24 of 245       
@ SilentJacket
You can get me any concepts any time you like. The main thing I wanted really to discuss is gametype like firefight, SP, or MP map. I know I would personally say let's get a FF or MP map out so we can see what all we can do in a shorter order since a SP map would most likely take a good deal of time.

@Master Noob
Would love to have you aboard. No doubt we will be needing as many people as possible to try and come up with the best lighting scheme that works for us.

@Maniac
I am assuming I should probably put you down for Bitmaps and Technical correct?

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Sep 23, 2012 12:17 PM    Msg. 25 of 245       
MP would be quicker, and If we make a relatively small one, we can make it look beautiful, without worrying about FR.

It would be an excellent proof of concept, and once we get a map out there, we will have plenty of community support.

I was thinking something along the lines of a warthog assembly line as the site of our first MP map, thoughts?

eliteslasher

Posted: Sep 23, 2012 12:35 PM    Msg. 26 of 245       
that would be a cool idea. Also, it would leave a lot to the imagination since, I am not sure, but I don't think we have ever seen one before except in cinematic trailers.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Sep 23, 2012 04:21 PM    Msg. 27 of 245       
Yea, just whatever you want me to do.

eliteslasher

Posted: Sep 23, 2012 10:01 PM    Msg. 28 of 245       
I wasn't seeing people on until I had to go to work today so I guess if anyone is on or sees this message, get on xfire and message me that you are on and I'll see what I can do about talking to some of you.
If you do not have me added, my username on xfire is the same as here.
eliteslasher

eliteslasher

Posted: Sep 25, 2012 02:43 AM    Msg. 29 of 245       
Did you learn from Grant Warwick by any chance? he has some nice tutorials I noticed and some VERY nice content. :)

I like the vambrace! Good hard edges. We will be needing people to do some stuff in hi-poly later for when we decide to do some custom tags. Interested possibly? Also, are you decent at baking normals?

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Sep 25, 2012 07:02 AM    Msg. 30 of 245       
I have my DMR which still needs to be finished, and I have many ideas for other weapons, for a sniper rifle and shotgun for example.

I recently started to get how texturing on hard object works in mudbox, but still suck at unwrapping

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Sep 25, 2012 09:45 AM    Msg. 31 of 245       
possible battle settings:

-a warthog manufacturing facility

-the wrecked sections of the Dawn hovering over Requiem.

-an installation hanging over a cliff viewing one of the arms of the Ark

-a construction zone in Installation 04b

-the interior of a precursor flood processing ship

anyone besides Eliteslasher think any of these would make for a good POC map?
Edited by SilentJacket on Sep 25, 2012 at 09:54 AM
Edited by SilentJacket on Sep 25, 2012 at 10:31 AM

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Sep 25, 2012 04:12 PM    Msg. 32 of 245       
let's make 200 suggestion of maps and diverge in every direction without focusing on anything, and let people we dont know at all tell us what to do ! (I dont know who you are silentjacket, and so are untrustable by default. -this is always subject to change-)

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Sep 25, 2012 04:56 PM    Msg. 33 of 245       
My job is to create concept art for map settings.

I want to get an opinion, before I devote 12+ hours to making them.

eliteslasher

Posted: Sep 25, 2012 10:14 PM    Msg. 34 of 245       
Now calm down folks let's be civil here. Remember, throwing ideas out there never hurt anyone. Also, I have Friday off from school and work but I have a Mushroomhead concert I am going to. I will be around From probably 10:30 AM - 6:00 PM and again from 12:00AM - 4:00 AM EST. I know my current work schedule has been a bit unforgiving since many of you are out of my country, but I am hoping that at some time during that day we can find an opportunity to get a few of us at least, in chat so we can figure a few things out. remember that is EST so check a world clock to see how that will relate to you and if it is the same day even.
Remember, if you have not added me on xfire yet, my name is the same as here.

TauSigmaNova

If love is blind, I guess I'll buy myself a cane

Posted: Sep 27, 2012 09:45 PM    Msg. 35 of 245       
Oh wow, this is amazing. I'd love to help but you guys are probably full.
If not, Xfire.

Page 1 of 7 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed February 26, 2020 2:17 PM 218 ms.
A Halo Maps Website