A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo CE Maps (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo 3 Foundry Port WIP by Jesse & Sali

Page 15 of 28 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 12 · 13 · 14 · [15] · 16 · 17 · 18 · ... · 28 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Halo 3 Foundry Port WIP by Jesse & Sali (964 messages, Page 15 of 28)
Moderators: Dennis

bourrin33

aLTis lies. Blame aLTis.

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 11:05 AM    Msg. 491 of 964       
I'm just going to say that I'm not a big fan of killzone's stuff, a good OS remake would be done by CMT or ki11a, otherwise it'd be a random OS remake.
Start by handeling stock before using OS. I'm not even close to it.
Used wrong, OS will just highlight the mistakes in stock tagging/porting

darksoldier

Helo my friend, it's time to fight ;)

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 11:45 AM    Msg. 492 of 964       
Quote: --- Original message by: DSalimander
Quote: --- Original message by: killzone64
i will give this map the sauce it deserves

Quote: --- Original message by: Dumb AI
But not the kind it needs

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000969661/batman_logo_large_view_answer_1_small.gif

It doesn't even need OS. OS is for losers who can't make good content on their own without massive shortcuts."

^
Expect for some people like cmt, waffles, killa, killzone etc....

But I totaly agree with your opinion DSalimander , you can make very nice stuff without OS and his "features". Do never use OS for that map please ! It looks awesome right now without OS.

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 02:20 PM    Msg. 493 of 964       
Sure it is possible to make nice stuff without OS, but OS allows for a few very nice features in the game and yes those nice shortcuts, and since less and less people are making, at least decent, content for this game, we could use ALLLLLLL the shortcuts we can get to get new people interested. With mods like cryengine, people once great on this site are actually leaving this game. Is that what we want? No, thus OS was created to allow people a LOT more breathing room and ways to expand their creativity. To say OS is terrible is like saying "I'm good at modding now, why can't others be right from the get-go?" That's a little unfair.
If you don't like or want to use OS, that is your prerogative, but to flame it just because you have chosen not to use it because you already have a good tagset that has been worked on and perfected for years is no excuse to flame it.

bourrin33

aLTis lies. Blame aLTis.

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 02:32 PM    Msg. 494 of 964       
We should take that to signatures.

Jesse

To Punish and Enslave

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 04:22 PM    Msg. 495 of 964       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Gameplay wise you don't need it at all. Visual wise you could make it look even better while still retaining your current look for non OS users while keeping it a .map.

There is no reason it "must" use it, but it sure would look even more pretty with normals that would only render for those who have it installed.

That's the main reason I don't use it. Bump maps would only render for those with OS installed, but for those without it, the textures on scenery would look really plain since we'd not be using baked-bumps. I think OS is cool, and I don't hate it at all, but it really seems to create a dividing line between what who I want to please: OS users or non-OS users?

EDIT: I would definitely start using it once it becomes mainstream, but until then I'd rather be safe (for MP anyway.)
Edited by Jesse on Mar 14, 2013 at 04:28 PM

Masters1337

What is D30?

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 04:34 PM    Msg. 496 of 964       
Well, I think over time you're going to see more and more big projects use OS, especially once OS adoption gets kicked up when CMT and H2SPP have their releases.

If people want to play your map, they'll play your map, even if it requires installing OS. I would imagine as far as MP goes, the OS users are a minority right now, but that will change in the future. IDK what your tagspace is, but you could easily write a script to detect if OS is active, and if so delete all your scenery with stock shaders and create new scenery that uses OS shaders.

Edit: or even better, change the permutation to that of one with OS shaders via script, would be more space efficient)
Edited by Masters1337 on Mar 14, 2013 at 04:36 PM

Jesse

To Punish and Enslave

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 04:41 PM    Msg. 497 of 964       

Well, I think over time you're going to see more and more big projects use OS, especially once OS adoption gets kicked up when CMT and H2SPP have their releases.
If people want to play your map, they'll play your map, even if it requires installing OS. I would imagine as far as MP goes, the OS users are a minority right now, but that will change in the future.

Yeah, I'm counting on the... <_< ... >_>... new CMT MP stuff to really liven up OS.

IDK what your tagspace is, but you could easily write a script to detect if OS is active, and if so delete all your scenery with stock shaders and create new scenery that uses OS shaders.

Edit: or even better, change the permutation to that of one with OS shaders via script, would be more space efficient)

You could have told me that before!

Masters1337

What is D30?

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 04:49 PM    Msg. 498 of 964       
http://code.google.com/p/open-sauce/wiki/Doc_Halo1_NewScriptInterfaces

That'll explain how you can detect if OS is active and pad your script. I presume I don't need to go into detail about scripting permutations?
Edited by Masters1337 on Mar 14, 2013 at 04:50 PM

Jesse

To Punish and Enslave

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 05:02 PM    Msg. 499 of 964       
Weapons and bipeds and anything else visually modifiable with OS?
Edited by Jesse on Mar 14, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Edited by Jesse on Mar 14, 2013 at 05:03 PM

Masters1337

What is D30?

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 05:15 PM    Msg. 500 of 964       
I was only thinking about the scenery.. weapons would be harder. Phong lighting upgrades you could do via shader extension without modifying any bitmap. Vehicles switching permutation should be no problem, same with the bipeds. You could use waffles super sexy OS chief shaders for this actually.

Jesse

To Punish and Enslave

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 07:27 PM    Msg. 501 of 964       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse

Here's some things I found (that haven't been mentioned already):
-add CTF flagholders
-people say 3p weapons are small*
-perhaps implement objective item teleport script when items fall behing fencing
-shotty is OP, BR is weak
-forklift needs NOS and the ability to shoot rockets (my personal preference)

Rockets don't damage the forklift

Quote: --- Original message by: MoooseGuy

- Plasma rifle has too much screen shake.*
- Shotgun needs a slight tone-down.
- Flag getting behind the fences.
- Forklift collision needs major fixing.
- Player model seems too dark.*
- Stairs clipping with bsp.*
- BR needs beefing up, better homing.
- Dumpster collision itself can cause "hopping" lag.*
- Forklift needs new drive-forward sound (warthog driving sound is heard from afar).
- Switch primary grenades to frags.
- Brute shot needs to "push" things.

-Spawn weapons are inconsistent, I'd make it be AR/Pistol or AR/BR all the time.
-Grenades, I'd do what h3 did. Max of 2 per type, and spawn with 2 frags. The fact the map is scenery makes grenades super powerful, as the damage effect passes through any object on the map.
-I THINK I saw a shotgun spawn up by where the brute shot does by the left office/flag room. Not to sure if it was that or if it was dropped in the general craziness.
-Is the health going to regenerate? If not health packs please!*
-BR uses older burst firing method, message me about this
-Frag model clips ground and is significantly larger than plasma grenade*
-PR screen shake is to much*
-Is there a way to improve the forklift so the prongs can lift stuff?
-Pistol was very weak, in h3 its okay since it's dual wielded, here it just sucks. I'd increase the damage so it takes one less headshot to kill for the next build, or replace it with BR for the starting weapon.*
-RL lens flare is overly lensflarey and distracting. This is more a personal thing, feel free to ignore it.
-Another personal preference, I'd redo the grenade panel in the HUD to just be frag and plasma and move the placements so it's visually balanced. Right now it's just a cocktease seeing them in the HUD.

List of things to fix (some have been fixed)
I just want one place too look at for all the errors.

Another bug I forgot:
-Flag cloth animation is very spazzy.

So the current state of Foundry in convenient list format:
-Further looked into ripped sky. I've got it's model and bitmaps but I'm not sure how to import the FBX model, I get an error when I try. I'm sure the answer/script/plugin/whatever is in the Adjutant thread, but I'm too lazy to look through the 30 something pages. Help?
-I want to add a few more trims to the edges of walls, like there are in Halo 3.
-All the bugs brought up are quite manageable to fix, expect most of it to get fixed. All the personal suggestions have been taken under advisement. Thank you all for your detailed feedback. We appreciate all your effort into helping us refine everything. It was a surprisingly fun test.
-The Easter Eggs will now be implemented. It must be said that during a regular match, getting to the secrets will be nearly impossible. It requires precise parkour. Network lag can make it impossible.
-Jesse is pondering adding animated Pelicans to fly over the level to help with context of the level atmosphere. Ripped ambiance sounds are in progress (we were using my Ivory Tower's sounds as placeholders). We are also adding sound emitters to the lights, to give them an electrical, quiet hum.
-Placement of randomized posters (both H3 and a few custom ones for fun) is in progress.
-We still need to get that objective item teleport script working (I haven't started on it yet) and add those lockers/flagholders in the bases.
-We're still organizing all the tag directories.
-The option to have random armor permutations and random secondary colors is being discussed.

Just keeping these on the newest page so I can look.

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?- -Art Director for HPMT-

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 07:30 PM    Msg. 502 of 964       

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf8kmk3y5-4&feature=youtu.be

Jesse animated a pelican to fly over Foundry. It should pass every two minutes or so. It's actually coming from the direction of those distant buildings, so it makes more sense.
Edited by DSalimander on Mar 14, 2013 at 07:09 PM

that's beautiful.

E: also, you can see the pelican spawn, might want to look into that :P
Edited by SilentJacket on Mar 14, 2013 at 07:32 PM

Jesse

To Punish and Enslave

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 07:55 PM    Msg. 503 of 964       
Yeah, I noticed that as soon as I uploaded the video.

It is an easy fix.

XlzQwerty1

MORISUMMER!

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 08:46 PM    Msg. 504 of 964       
The thing I don't understand is why people say they won't try to make OS maps because it's not "mainstream" yet. If no one's making any OS maps to force people to use OS then how can it ever become mainstream...

killzone64

Porting Bsp's is suprisingly easy

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 08:50 PM    Msg. 505 of 964       
i'm making an os only version of boneyard i just need to get rid of all the pesky errors and learn to use aether.

the pelican animation looks great, keep it up guys.
Edited by killzone64 on Mar 14, 2013 at 08:51 PM

Jesse

To Punish and Enslave

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 09:20 PM    Msg. 506 of 964       
Quote: --- Original message by: XlzQwerty1
The thing I don't understand is why people say they won't try to make OS maps because it's not "mainstream" yet. If no one's making any OS maps to force people to use OS then how can it ever become mainstream...

I'm gonna let Masterz and CMT lead the way with OS. Idk if it's public knowledge, but they have something big planned.

Masters1337

What is D30?

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 09:28 PM    Msg. 507 of 964       
Eventually we will return to MP, may not be for quite some time though.

Jesse

To Punish and Enslave

Posted: Mar 15, 2013 01:00 AM    Msg. 508 of 964       
Haven't they always been? Not counting Coagulation, that was the old, old, old CMT.

Jesse

To Punish and Enslave

Posted: Mar 15, 2013 05:16 PM    Msg. 509 of 964       

Here's some things I found (that haven't been mentioned already):
-add CTF flagholders
-perhaps implement objective item teleport script when items fall behing fencing
-shotty is OP, BR is weak
-forklift needs NOS and the ability to shoot rockets (my personal preference)

Rockets don't damage the forklift

Quote: --- Original message by: MoooseGuy

- Forklift needs new drive-forward sound (warthog driving sound is heard from afar).

-Spawn weapons are inconsistent, I'd make it be AR/Pistol or AR/BR all the time.
-Grenades, I'd do what h3 did. Max of 2 per type, and spawn with 2 frags. The fact the map is scenery makes grenades super powerful, as the damage effect passes through any object on the map.
-I THINK I saw a shotgun spawn up by where the brute shot does by the left office/flag room. Not to sure if it was that or if it was dropped in the general craziness.
-Pistol was very weak, in h3 its okay since it's dual wielded, here it just sucks. I'd increase the damage so it takes one less headshot to kill for the next build, or replace it with BR for the starting weapon.*
-RL lens flare is overly lensflarey and distracting. This is more a personal thing, feel free to ignore it.
-Another personal preference, I'd redo the grenade panel in the HUD to just be frag and plasma and move the placements so it's visually balanced. Right now it's just a cocktease seeing them in the HUD.

List of things to fix (some have been fixed)
I just want one place too look at for all the errors.

Another bug I forgot:

So the current state of Foundry in convenient list format:
-Further looked into ripped sky. I've got it's model and bitmaps but I'm not sure how to import the FBX model, I get an error when I try. I'm sure the answer/script/plugin/whatever is in the Adjutant thread, but I'm too lazy to look through the 30 something pages. Help?
-I want to add a few more trims to the edges of walls, like there are in Halo 3.
-All the bugs brought up are quite manageable to fix, expect most of it to get fixed. All the personal suggestions have been taken under advisement. Thank you all for your detailed feedback. We appreciate all your effort into helping us refine everything. It was a surprisingly fun test.
-The Easter Eggs will now be implemented. It must be said that during a regular match, getting to the secrets will be nearly impossible. It requires precise parkour. Network lag can make it impossible.
-Jesse is pondering adding animated Pelicans to fly over the level to help with context of the level atmosphere. Ripped ambiance sounds are in progress (we were using my Ivory Tower's sounds as placeholders). We are also adding sound emitters to the lights, to give them an electrical, quiet hum.
-Placement of randomized posters (both H3 and a few custom ones for fun) is in progress.
-We still need to get that objective item teleport script working (I haven't started on it yet) and add those lockers/flagholders in the bases.
-The option to have random armor permutations and random secondary colors is being discussed.

Just keeping these on the newest page so I can look.

OrangeJuice

Saying "Poof!" since 2005, Katana=plagiaristFKtard

Posted: Mar 15, 2013 10:46 PM    Msg. 510 of 964       
Oh! oh! And offset the bounding radius so that originates from the CENTER of the dumpster instead of the bottom of it!

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

YES

Posted: Mar 15, 2013 10:56 PM    Msg. 511 of 964       
Hopping lag is the only reason i play this game :)

Jesse

To Punish and Enslave

Posted: Mar 16, 2013 03:25 AM    Msg. 512 of 964       
25 bounding radius seems excessive, and it would affect the LOD rendering.

I already fixed the PR shake.

Spartan shaders will be taken care of.

XlzQwerty1

MORISUMMER!

Posted: Mar 16, 2013 02:55 PM    Msg. 513 of 964       
Did you add a little bit of shake to the Assault Rifle?

Spartan_094

Posted: Mar 16, 2013 04:30 PM    Msg. 514 of 964       
The bitmaps on the Spartan is a tad dark..ill brighten it up when I get home and fix it.

Dumb AI

I-01, NMT, VKMT and DAMT

Posted: Mar 16, 2013 04:56 PM    Msg. 515 of 964       
I think it's just lighting that makes the Spartan so dark.

Jesse

To Punish and Enslave

Posted: Mar 16, 2013 11:29 PM    Msg. 516 of 964       
I will add the shake to the assault rifle.

If it was the lighting, weapons and scenery would be dark too.

Dumb AI

I-01, NMT, VKMT and DAMT

Posted: Mar 17, 2013 12:08 AM    Msg. 517 of 964       
I don't know.

Maybe light affects bipeds differently.

Scenery don't cast shadows on their own but bipeds and weapons do.

Jesse

To Punish and Enslave

Posted: Mar 17, 2013 02:15 AM    Msg. 518 of 964       
Casting shadows is irrelevant to biped lighting really. Scenery is lit according to the light maps of the area it is in (or its node to be specific). This is why bipeds look dark in dark areas, and scenery as well.

XlzQwerty1

MORISUMMER!

Posted: Mar 17, 2013 10:40 AM    Msg. 519 of 964       
So, are you going to make that truck into a non-drivable vehicle (mainly for physics) ?

Jesse

To Punish and Enslave

Posted: Mar 17, 2013 10:23 PM    Msg. 520 of 964       
Only if you do it :D

XlzQwerty1

MORISUMMER!

Posted: Mar 17, 2013 11:43 PM    Msg. 521 of 964       
I'll see if I have time this week or something then.

Jesse

To Punish and Enslave

Posted: Mar 19, 2013 03:55 PM    Msg. 522 of 964       

-add CTF flagholders

-shotty is OP

-BR is weak

-Rockets don't damage the forklift

-Grenades, I'd do what h3 did. Max of 2 per type, and spawn with 2 frags.

-Pistol was very weak*

-The Easter Eggs will now be implemented. It must be said that during a regular match, getting to the secrets will be nearly impossible. It requires precise parkour magic and tons of grenades\lives (regenerating health is a godsend). Network lag can make it impossible.

-Ripped ambiance sounds are in progress (we were using my Ivory Tower's sounds as placeholders). We are also adding sound emitters to the lights, to give them an electrical, quiet hum.

-spiker overheats in 3p

Stuff I can't do much about.
Preference items, may or may not be changed.
fixed items (kept them for future reference.)
Edited by Jesse on Mar 19, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Edited by Jesse on Mar 19, 2013 at 05:15 PM

DEEhunter

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 06:57 PM    Msg. 523 of 964       
hey

grunt_eater

Everything except biped rigging.

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 07:05 PM    Msg. 524 of 964       
Hey, Jesse, when are you planning a release for the map? if you can wait till after Easter i'll be back to my computer and able to get you the soccer ball. If not that's okay too.

Jesse

To Punish and Enslave

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 07:13 PM    Msg. 525 of 964       
Quote: --- Original message by: DEEhunter
hey

I'll make use of it as best we can.

Quote: --- Original message by: grunt_eater
Hey, Jesse, when are you planning a release for the map? if you can wait till after Easter i'll be back to my computer and able to get you the soccer ball. If not that's okay too.

I'm sure you have time, but we only need to work on the lighting before we're through.

Page 15 of 28 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 12 · 13 · 14 · [15] · 16 · 17 · 18 · ... · 28 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon September 22, 2014 2:09 AM 1,531 ms.
A Halo Maps Website